Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,845 members, 7,817,502 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:18 PM

Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) (54210 Views)

Donald Trump's Mug Shot Released After Booking At Georgia Jail / Jacob Zuma's Five Biggest Career Scandals / Jacob Zuma Resigns As South African President! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by HonNL: 5:44pm On Oct 07, 2022
The Department of Correctional Services on Friday said former president Jacob Zuma has served his 15-month sentence.
The department added these concluded administrative processes related to Zuma's sentencing.

Zuma said he felt mixed emotions but expressed gratitude he was free to "do whatever I want without restrictions".
The Department of Correctional Services says former president Jacob Zuma's 15-month sentence expired on Friday.

The former president was sentenced on 29 June last year and started serving his sentence on 8 July.

The Constitutional Court ordered his arrest after he defied its order to appear and testify before the State Capture Commission of Inquiry.

Zuma only served two months of his sentence.

He was released in September after former correctional services head Arthur Fraser controversially granted him medical parole.

In December, the Gauteng High Court judge Keoagile Elias Matojane ruled against Fraser's decision and ordered Zuma to return to prison.

Zuma challenged the ruling, which is now with the Supreme Court of Appeal (SCA).

News24 reported this week Matojane would not comment on his ruling after Judicial Service Commission commissioner Julius Malema asked if he thought incarcerating elderly people benefitted society.

Matojane was a candidate for the judge position in the SCA. He did not make the cut.

"That matter is pending before the Supreme Court of Appeal. I am out of it. Whether I am right or wrong, a higher court is going to relook at the evidence, and then they will decide. If I am wrong, they will say so. It is not really for me to answer that question, Mr Malema with due respect," he said.

Correctional services spokesperson Singabakho Nxumalo said the expiration of Zuma's sentence also meant the end of administration processes.

"Medical parole placement meant that Mr Zuma was to serve the remainder of his sentence under Kranskop Community Corrections. Essentially, Mr Zuma complied with his conditions for medical parole as set out during his placement," added Nxumalo.

Zuma said he had mixed emotions about the end of his sentence.

He felt the same sense of freedom after his release from Robben Island in 1973 but, this time around, was sad the apex court ordered his arrest without trial, he added in a statement.

Zuma said he was grateful he could now "do whatever I want without restrictions".

"I am relieved to be free again to walk around and do whatever I want to do without restrictions and having to seek permission, in the same manner that I felt in 1973 when I was released from Robben Island.

"Only this time, I am also filled with sadness. It was the first time ever that the Constitutional Court sentenced any person to a term of imprisonment and without even the benefit of a trial. I never expected this to happen during the freedom and democracy we fought so hard to attain," he added.

SOURCE

Previous Threads:
https://www.nairaland.com/6625889/court-orders-arrest-ex-president-zuma#103188634

https://www.nairaland.com/6639825/zuma-hands-himself-over-police#103479638

https://www.nairaland.com/6640812/photos-jacob-zuma-prison#103499956

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Wawelexy(m): 5:46pm On Oct 07, 2022
Oh, He's back from vacation

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Nobody: 5:48pm On Oct 07, 2022
Cool

3 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Flora2Sweet: 5:50pm On Oct 07, 2022
2nd Mandela

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Mrkumareze(m): 5:52pm On Oct 07, 2022
wink ex convict

26 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by VeryWickedGoat: 5:58pm On Oct 07, 2022
He added weight. Prison looks good on him.

185 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by NairaLux(f): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Dikaveli(m): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Good boy

1 Like

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by FuckDModz: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
grin

Go and sin no more.

Fucking criminal!

Meanwhile, MNK is still eating watery beans day in, day out.

33 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Jestin: 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Regardless of the corruption cases against Zuma, South Africa still love this man more than Cyril Ramaphosa

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Dikaveli(m): 5:59pm On Oct 07, 2022
Ex convict

2 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by bonnyhope: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
When will.an ex president in Nigeria go to jail

47 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Kingxchange44: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
Stupid and useless African leaders undecided

14 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Tboy222: 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
We thank the lord,and I pray that the Lord brings him closer to him.
Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Emilokan1(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
grin
Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by kunleiky(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
A reminder that power is transient
Thread softly

4 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by donprinyo(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
Buhari go deserve this treatment

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by COUSIN1279(m): 6:00pm On Oct 07, 2022
Remain bat and bubu�

5 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by VEHINTOLAR: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
Great Lion from Zulu land, you're welcome sir !
Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by lordparcel: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
grin
Free Hush

2 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Obagofixxy: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
finally

2 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by MANNABBQGRILLS: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
baba4thegehs:
The day Nigeria starts sending to Jail ex president, governors and politicians found guilty on corruption and crimes. Then Nigeria will be on its way salvation!!
SECONDED

14 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by franchasofficia: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
If Nigeria is functioning, Muhammadu Buhari ought to end up in a maximum security prison after he hands over in 2023. Time will tell angry

38 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by gambojimeta: 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
A Nigerian corrupt ex president would never go to jail.

7 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by cyndy1000(f): 6:01pm On Oct 07, 2022
A system where leaders are held accountable for their actions and face consequences.
It can never be Nigeria

8 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by id4sho(m): 6:02pm On Oct 07, 2022
Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Lionnation: 6:03pm On Oct 07, 2022
Mrkumareze:
wink ex convict
to what end, adding ex convict to his name means nothing anymore he has already become a president there is nothing else to become that the excunvict tag will stop him from

2 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by DAwest7: 6:03pm On Oct 07, 2022
bonnyhope:
When will.an ex president in Nigeria go to jail
after 2023 Election

1 Like

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by baba4thegehs: 6:04pm On Oct 07, 2022
The day Nigeria starts sending to Jail ex president, governors and politicians found guilty on corruption and crimes. Then Nigeria will be on its way salvation!!

7 Likes

Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by Jahzrockballer(m): 6:04pm On Oct 07, 2022
Omo
Re: Jacob Zuma Released After 15 Months Prison Term Ends (photos) by tishbite41(m): 6:05pm On Oct 07, 2022
Funny how pple died because of his prison sentence
This life sha

11 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

The White House Christmas Decorations 2022 / Pictures Of North Kyiv Of Ukraine After Russian Troops Retreated / ISIS Militants Kill 14 Real Madrid Fans In Iraq (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.