Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,299 members, 7,836,307 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 04:15 AM

Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use - Crime (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use (27360 Views)

Abia State COVID-19 Taskforce Intercepts Car Carrying Bags Of Cannabis / Ganja Havens: Six Nigerian States With High Concentration Of Cannabis Plantation / 3 Islamic Clerics Arrested For Possession Of Human Parts In Ogun (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by SaturnNick(m): 9:29am On Oct 08, 2022
Which one is ordinary use again shocked shocked shocked
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Sazzy07(m): 9:43am On Oct 08, 2022
How can I use it, if I don't own it?
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by gustavo27(m): 9:50am On Oct 08, 2022
True! Guys used it for intimidation
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Jakumo(m): 10:16am On Oct 08, 2022
IamSainted:

Marijuana is a mind-altering and narcotic substance.
It deserves any criminalization it gets.
Any mind-altering drug that has the capacity of causing hypnosis has to be strictly prohibited.
Those who soften their stance is as a result of top-notch health care systems and high literacy levels.
And Nigeria or any third country is highly ill-equipped and unprepared to emulate such deleterious changes.

I certainly agree that cannabis is NOT for everyone, and is best never touched by people having previous histories of mental instability, lest they be triggered into psychosis. Furthermore, some of the current ultra-potent 30% THC strains of weed that have been bred for psychoactive intensity could put the fear of God into the hearts of seasoned smokers previously accustomed to milder and tamer varieties. The existence of such user-specific caveats does not however rise to the level of constituting a legal basis for retaining Nigeria's colonial-era cannabis prohibition laws, particularly in light of the numerous documented medical and economic benefits derivable from this multifaceted plant called marijuana.

Alcohol is directly responsible every single year for thousands of avoidable deaths due to simple overdose, car crashes, violence, and liver cirrhosis, among other painful ways to go. Despite these grim statistics, alcohol is 100% legal in all non-Islamic countries on this planet. The few purported medical benefits of moderate alcohol indulgence pale in comparison to the astronomical and devastating toll on humanity wrought by the RECKLESS consumption of alcohol that is legally purchased over the counter worldwide.

Though also 100% legal to purchase worldwide, cigarettes are extremely poisonous to the human body and have ZERO medical benefits whatsoever to cite. The enormous death toll from cigarette smoking is well known. Lung cancer, emphysema, bronchitis, mouth cancer, and myriad other avoidable but deadly ailments, all loom large in the dwindling lives of cigarette and tobacco smokers, who eventually die gasping for air.

In some parts of Nigeria where the useful function of vultures is not appreciated, a single cigarette soaked in water overnight is poured on dead animals for the vultures to eat. The birds die the same day after ingesting even the tiniest trace amount of NICOTINE, one of the deadliest poisons known to man, which also happens to be the prodigiously addictive component of cigarette tobacco that ensnares smokers till death do they part, with that lighter.

On the other side of the coin lies the historically vilified plant called cannabis, over which many thousands of productively employed citizens lost their freedom in jail, yet which has now been discovered to contain a pharmacological cornucopia of unique compounds proven to be consistently efficacious in addressing a wide spectrum of human ailments without perceivable side-effects. For the record, medical archives have yet to identify one SINGLE overdose death from cannabis ingestion since the advent of record keeping decades ago.

Much to the contrary, millions of gravely ill patients have found relief, healing, and even longevity itself, thanks to the judicious ingestion of medical cannabis derivatives. For years Israel has led lead the developed world in the field of medical marijuana research, and it is there that cannabis extracts have been found to mitigate the symptoms of numerous cancers while reinvigorating the degraded appetite of chemotherapy patients, among other notable therapeutic applications of medical marijuana that are being refined and optimized in that nation.

Like Nigeria's Presidency, the NDLEA Chairman Major General Buba Marwa has long been aware of the need to reform Nigeria's drug laws so as to decriminalize unadulterated organically grown cannabis, thereby freeing up precious resources for the ramped-up interdiction of heroin, Tramadol, cocaine, PCP, methamphetamine, and Rohypnol, all of which can all prove lethal after one SINGLE ingestion.

If any dangerous drugs are to be made illegal, a good start would be to ban cigarettes, tobacco, and alcohol, while legalizing medical marijuana. Frankly, the world would be a much safer and healthier planet if those twin poisons of tobacco and alcohol were to be outlawed forever and removed from the legal market as a mandatory public health initiative.

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by faste: 10:29am On Oct 08, 2022
Mucokey:
shocked shocked ; undecided

As if the theses law enforcement agencies aren't the one actually abusing these drugs undecided undecided
Exactly.....Openly.
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by baretalk: 10:46am On Oct 08, 2022
SaturnNick:
Which one is ordinary use again shocked shocked shocked
Don't you hear English, it means smokers and dealers are treated differently by NDLEA. The decriminalization process of ordinary users starts from here, which is good for our criminal justice system. Police need to go after crime and the bad guys, not waste time chasing smokers, smokers need rehabilitation not prosecution.

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by baretalk: 10:48am On Oct 08, 2022
Sazzy07:
How can I use it, if I don't own it?
They don't want you to use it, but they won't waste time and resources chasing smokers. They don't want you to smoke it, they don't want it available, so they go after dealers, which make sense.
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by donbenie(m): 10:50am On Oct 08, 2022
tunwumi:
Legalizing marijuana in Nigeria will be policy summersault. If we have people who can not reason easily but will think a con video with a label is truth and they have be living in " they said" for decades, marijuana will just be the nail on their coffin.

Infact with the ban, I think marijuana is what those people use as a flavour in their food which made their thinking shallow. With full release then, it can become water sterilizer for many.
Yeah..
Marijuana is the cause of every problem in this shithole..

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Eskimo0147: 11:29am On Oct 08, 2022
Put your lighters in the sky
Tell the government legalize marijuana
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by tunwumi: 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2022
donbenie:
Yeah..
Marijuana is the cause of every problem in this shithole..

Another passive spotted
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Kingdollar28(m): 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2022
Illegal1:
Lite up my weed in peace jare...

Same here bro wink
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by SaturnNick(m): 2:34pm On Oct 08, 2022
baretalk:

Don't you hear English, it means smokers and dealers are treated differently by NDLEA. The decriminalization process of ordinary users starts from here, which is good for our criminal justice system. Police need to go after crime and the bad guys, not waste time chasing smokers, smokers need rehabilitation not prosecution.
I was being rhetoric. I stay close to these slums. My oga, if they catch you smoking just one wrap, get ready to bail yourself with at least 70k. It happened even just this week Monday
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by baretalk: 2:36pm On Oct 08, 2022
SaturnNick:
I was being rhetoric. I stay close to these slums. My oga, if they catch you smoking just one wrap, get ready to bail yourself with at least 70k
Maybe cos the area is a black spot... otherwise that's too much.
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by SaturnNick(m): 2:41pm On Oct 08, 2022
baretalk:

Maybe cos the area is a black spot... otherwise that's too much.
It's not. I've seen worst places. But the mega dealers always have information, and will disappear during raids. Though they get arrested once a while

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Probz(m): 4:37pm On Oct 08, 2022
Nothing connected with cannabis should be a crime if alcohol’s perfectly-legal (which it should be). It’s time this nonsensical war against drugs (and cannabis is a plant more than anything-else) came to an end. They do more harm than the substances themselves.

1 Like

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Wwwq: 5:04pm On Oct 08, 2022
How
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by davades(m): 10:29pm On Oct 08, 2022
Is this Marwa the former governor of Lagos state?
Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Nobody: 1:07am On Oct 09, 2022
FalseProphet1:
Anytime I see this man, I immediately remember the good old days in lagos. The days of operation sweep, those days when you can walk on the streets of lagos by 2am without any fear of being mobbed by urchins. Nigeria will be great again.

This I have seen.

Be like you done pass 40 years oh

Re: Marwa: Possession Of Cannabis Is A Crime, But We Do Not Criminalise Ordinary Use by Abendroth: 7:38am On Oct 10, 2022
That's true, it doesn't make sense that cannabis is illegal, while alcohol isn't, but it causes way more health issues than cannabis. People need to relax somehow, and I think marijuana is not the worst option in that case. After reading this page, I learned that there are various strain, and some of them don't even cause psychoactive effect, so I think something like that should be legal.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Warri Community Leader Arrested For "Killing" His Divorce Seeking Wife. Photos / Zimbabwean Driver Speeds Off After Buying 1,000 Litres Of Diesel Without Payment / Obinoze Alexander Arrested For Allegedly Killing Flora Gold In India (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.