Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,407 members, 7,836,640 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy (398 Views)

ASUU'S STRIKE: The Throwback Of Action 41 Years Ago / ASUU Strike; The Union Is Still Consulting Its Members / ASUU STRIKE: University Of Ibadan Terminates First Semester. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy by Blestedo75: 8:33am On Oct 10, 2022
Having read a lot whether ASUU should call off the strike or not in line with court orders. I want to bear my mind on the strike as an academic too. Let me say that in the court of public opinion, the strike has lost its popularity and even among members there are those who can no more sustain it ( do your survey). Hence, further pushing the strike will have a lot of consequences. But the issue is, let's ASUU weighs the consequences of calling off the strike with that of not calling off the strike which one outweighs the other. For me , not calling off the strike has more negative consequences than calling off the strike. For instance, appealing to the Supreme court is a sheer waste of time and resources, contempt of Court can led to the disbandment of the Union, imprisonment of the leaders and even sacking of the lecturers, and students and parents might even protest against the union. whereas, what lecturers loss in the interim is their salaries and perhaps time wasted if the strike is called off. At this juncture, the wisest thing to do is to call off the strike conditionally, a caveat that in line with courts order, the union thought it wise to suspend the strike but if Fg fail to meet its demand within limited time of say one or two months the Union will have no option but to continue with the strike action. That done, every stakeholder is put on their toes knowing that the school is only open for the time being; particularly students who make not be comfortable with this arrangement. That done, ASUU is sure that in that two months, members salaries are paid, and there is re- inforcement. Too, call off the strike and lecturers resume but don't teach on the condition that they cannot teach empty stomach since their salaries are not paid. Yes, Students will complain to HoD, Deans, VCs. They are all lecturers and cannot force their colleagues to classes. Govt will have the feedback. At this point students will mount pressure on government to pay lecturers as they can't work without pay. ASUU need to change strategy. The late sage, Obafemi Awolowo told Gowon, you can not win this civil war with military might cut off their food and weapon supplies and that is how the war ended. This is my advice though, I wish ASUU hid this.
Re: ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy by Ebubu: 12:07pm On Oct 10, 2022
Blestedo75:
Having read a lot whether ASUU should call off the strike or not in line with court orders. I want to bear my mind on the strike as an academic too. Let me say that in the court of public opinion, the strike has lost its popularity and even among members there are those who can no more sustain it ( do your survey). Hence, further pushing the strike will have a lot of consequences. But the issue is, let's ASUU weighs the consequences of calling off the strike with that of not calling off the strike which one outweighs the other. For me , not calling off the strike has more negative consequences than calling off the strike. For instance, appealing to the Supreme court is a sheer waste of time and resources, contempt of Court can led to the disbandment of the Union, imprisonment of the leaders and even sacking of the lecturers, and students and parents might even protest against the union. whereas, what lecturers loss in the interim is their salaries and perhaps time wasted if the strike is called off. At this juncture, the wisest thing to do is to call off the strike conditionally, a caveat that in line with courts order, the union thought it wise to suspend the strike but if Fg fail to meet its demand within limited time of say one or two months the Union will have no option but to continue with the strike action. That done, every stakeholder is put on their toes knowing that the school is only open for the time being; particularly students who make not be comfortable with this arrangement. That done, ASUU is sure that in that two months, members salaries are paid, and there is re- inforcement. Too, call off the strike and lecturers resume but don't teach on the condition that they cannot teach empty stomach since their salaries are not paid. Yes, Students will complain to HoD, Deans, VCs. They are all lecturers and cannot force their colleagues to classes. Govt will have the feedback. At this point students will mount pressure on government to pay lecturers as they can't work without pay. ASUU need to change strategy. The late sage, Obafemi Awolowo told Gowon, you can not win this civil war with military might cut off their food and weapon supplies and that is how the war ended. This is my advice though, I wish ASUU hid this.
ASUU should be disbanded. They’ve lost their relevance.

God bless CONUA the hope of Nigeria.

Once the strike is called off, i’m registering with CONUA.
Re: ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy by Jman06(m): 1:56pm On Oct 10, 2022
No salary will be paid if the lecturers refuse to teach!

I'm almost certain that if lecturers resume with a clear mind and start teaching, October salary and even some parts of the seven months salaries would be paid by the end of this month. But if they refuse to teach, they won't get paid and students would be willing to give feedback to the federal government if they're not being lectured.
Re: ASUU Strike: The Need To Change Strategy by BadGenius(m): 2:10pm On Oct 10, 2022
Ebubu:

ASUU should be disbanded. They’ve lost their relevance.

God bless CONUA the hope of Nigeria.

Once the strike is called off, i’m registering with CONUA.

May God Almighty reward you abundantly sir.

(1) (Reply)

You Are an Orphan; About To Drop Out Of University Due To Financial Challenges / Gotv Smallie Channels List 2023 / University Of Ottawa Scholarships: Benefits, Eligibility & Application Process

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.