Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,767 members, 7,809,956 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:45 PM

Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn (798 Views)

Dwindling Revenue: FG, States, Lgs Share N422.6bn August Allocation / Nigeria In Deep Economic Trouble: “FG, States, LGs Share N518.5bn For June” / INEC Releases Presidential Results From 10 LGs In Ogun State (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by PointB: 2:41am On Aug 17, 2011
Scrapping states, LGs accounts’ll hinder devt, federalism —ACN

The Action Congress of Nigeria has advised President Goodluck Jonathan to jettison his proposed constitutional amendment aimed at scrapping the existing States/Local Government Joint Accounts.

The party argued in a statement on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, that scrapping the accounts and allocating the LGs’ share of the Federation Account directly to them would amount to making the councils federating units.

It warned that allowing the councils to wear the toga of federating units could stifle development and deal a further blow to the nation’s wobbling federalism.

The ACN said the argument that deductions from the council funds by the states had led to a lack of development at the grass roots did not warrant an amendment to the constitution that would fundamentally alter the nation’s federalism in the negative sense.

The answer for the lack of development at the grass roots, according to the ACN, is not to allocate funds directly to the LGs but to publish, as it is being done already, whatever is allocated to them.

It added that relevant government agencies should also be made to be on the alert in order to monitor the disbursement of funds from the States/LG.

The party said allocating money directly to council chairmen would not translate into more development, as they (chairmen) would be subjected to pressure from local or grass roots leaders, who don’t have such access to state governors.

Commenting further on the amendment being proposed by the President, the ACN said under the 1999 constitution, the federal and state governments were the federating units, while LGs were mere administrative units of the states.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108174184734
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Beaf: 3:13am On Aug 17, 2011
The party argued in a statement on Tuesday by its National Publicity Secretary, Alhaji Lai Mohammed, that scrapping the accounts and allocating the LGs’ share of the Federation Account directly to them would amount to making the councils federating units.

Those ACN louts don't know the definition of true federalism. To the clown, true federalism means getting even more money from Abuja, rather than being empowered to generate IGR. They want to keep sharing lump sums at state level straight into their greasy pockets.

Nigeria needs to change, we can't go on with the crude unitary system the military handed us. It is a system that generates corruption and dooes nothing for the man on the street. In a country like the UK, it is LG's that maintain the roads that run through them, collect certain taxes from businesses, plan their economies and generate jobs. The poorest LG in the UK is richer and more technologically advanced than any Nigerian state; and they serve their people diligently, because the people know them; there is accountability. They know where they live and who their families are, there is no Abuja to vanish into while delivering fuckall to the electorate.

This is a pic of the Deptford power station that produces 158MW, it is overseen by one of Londons poorest LG's:

Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by PointB: 6:42am On Aug 17, 2011
^^^

Not far from the truth. I also dont believe giving money directly to the LG has any serious implications for for federating units. After all, those monies were supposed to get to the LG, FG just wanted to make it a certainty. ACN should come up with a better reason that these, or they just want to be the loudest opposition party?
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Nobody: 7:14am On Aug 17, 2011
I think paying money into LGs accounts will kill the fact that developments are usually concentrated in state capitals,

This is a good idea,  LGs will have money to maintain their LGs instead of having the SG spend huge sum on state capitals forgetting the LG,  If you look at  Kwara state, you will understand why LGs need to get their own money.

The entire Kwara South is developed by the people. The state govt has ignored them since democracy returned,  I went to Omu Aran, Oro, Esie, Offa, Ajase Ipo, on a road trip and seriously, all I saw was just people living without their govt's assistance in any form of Amenities.

The people dig their own bore holes etc,  but they pretty much are doing ok without the useless govt,  YES!! Let LG get money. They can provide water, provide healthcare and some other incentives for their people,  Geez this is the best idea to come out of FG in decade,

ACN didn't have any argument in this at all, Their argument is so weak, I won't even touch it. Let LGs handle their biz, Too many state capitals getting fat at the detriment of other LGAs. ACN lost my support on this one, Try another proposal ACN. Asiwaju boiz are dulling when Awon boiz want hammer,

On a second note, what if LGs are allocated money according to their population? Yes! not give Ikeja same amount you give to a Local government with less than 30k people, 

Census has to be done and honesty has to be a policy on this one else we are back to square 1, 

Too much development going on in state capitals at the detriment of other LGAs,  Yes Let them all have it, 

I understand. While true federalism decentralizes power at Federal level, this proposal weakens state's powers. I understand . But We have to weaken both not just the FG,
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by ektbear: 7:29am On Aug 17, 2011
I don't agree with the ACN on this one.
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Nobody: 7:40am On Aug 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

I don't agree with the ACN on this one.

I swear, Their argument is so weak on this one, This is why I said these guys need to employ Think tanks for policies etc, not just for winning elections,

I think they don't like the fact that this system will only weakens the state government while the FG remains the power house. Maybe the fight between SG and FG is on. FG is winning the LGs to their side lol,

Seriously this proposal will kill some bias governors have that makes them focus on capital or their LG,
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by ektbear: 8:47am On Aug 17, 2011
^-- I sort of get the ACNs POV. I guess right now, states often appropriate LG funds for their own purposes.

What is the formula now, roughly 50% FG, 30% states, 20% LG? So I suppose that from the perspective of a governor, you want to shrink the FG share but also maintain your hold of the LG share.

BTW, ACN isn't the only one saying this. The governors are saying something similar, if I remember correctly.
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Nobody: 2:28pm On Aug 17, 2011
ekt_bear:

^-- I sort of get the ACNs POV. I guess right now, states often appropriate LG funds for their own purposes.

What is the formula now, roughly 50% FG, 30% states, 20% LG? So I suppose that from the perspective of a governor, you want to shrink the FG share but also maintain your hold of the LG share.

BTW, ACN isn't the only one saying this. The governors are saying something similar, if I remember correctly.

I would expect ACN to be a party of intellectuals and not just repeat what state govs are saying. They pointed out to the 1999 constitution; a constitution that has proven chaotic for growth in terms of "revenue allocation" federal character" all that jazz, I can't believe ACN is saying anything of seriously!!,

They didn't have to repeat what the GOVs said. Being an opposition isn't what they are doing' I think they are sipping hatorade lool
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by gregg2: 3:14pm On Aug 17, 2011
These ACN guys are talking too much.

What is the essence of keeping LG councils and spending huge sums conducting elections into it and maintaining its bureaucracy?

ACN must not neccessarily criticise everything from GEJ else they will make opposition look silly before Nigerians.
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Beaf: 4:45pm On Aug 17, 2011
To most of those folks, true federalism means getting more money from Abuja, which is the exact opposite of its true meaning; which is to empower the federating units to be more productive and more independent.
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by rolchi(m): 5:26pm On Aug 17, 2011
GEJ, on this point of LG, do not listen to the opposition. After all, the proposal is just a means of making sure that their 20% get to them and ACN is talking backwards!
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Nobody: 9:12pm On Aug 17, 2011
we wont find all the people shouting odechukwu here, naaaa they wont appear, stupid loosers
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by ektbear: 2:26am On Aug 18, 2011
9jaganja:

I would expect ACN to be a party of intellectuals and not just repeat what state govs are saying. They pointed out to the 1999 constitution; a constitution that has proven chaotic for growth in terms of "revenue allocation" federal character" all that jazz,   I can't believe ACN is saying anything of seriously!!, 

They didn't have to repeat what the GOVs said. Being an opposition isn't what they are doing' I think they are sipping hatorade lool

It has nothing to do with repeating what the governors are saying. Look, there is a legitimate argument to be made here. Doing this certainly weakens the states relative to the FG, right? And maybe for them, they believe that the states are the basic unit in this federation, and that weakening 'em harms the system.

Which if you think about it makes sense. Why is it the constitution that determines how many LGs a state has? Why can't a state create as many as it likes? Does the US constitution specify the existence of counties in each state? Nope, this is something the states take care of themselves.

The more I think about it, the more I see where Lai Mohammed is coming from. I don't necessarily agree with him (at least for now), but I can at least see why his POV might make some sense.
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Nobody: 7:29am On Aug 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

It has nothing to do with repeating what the governors are saying. Look, there is a legitimate argument to be made here. Doing this certainly weakens the states relative to the FG, right? And maybe for them, they believe that the states are the basic unit in this federation, and that weakening 'em harms the system.

Which if you think about it makes sense. Why is it the constitution that determines how many LGs a state has? Why can't a state create as many as it likes? Does the US constitution specify the existence of counties in each state? Nope, this is something the states take care of themselves.

The more I think about it, the more I see where Lai Mohammed is coming from. I don't necessarily agree with him (at least for now), but I can at least see why his POV might make some sense.

I tot about it too and figured I don't want to weaken the state to further empower the over powerful FG,

But what we should be looking is a balance of power. The LGs may also be going from one prison to another. I think everything has to be broken down to settlements, That is cities and towns to cities and towns. Not FG or state or LG,

Through settlements allocation, everybody tries to get as much for their people as possible, I'm not saying the FG or state or LG should be irrelevant, I'm just saying the most relevant should be settlements, And I mean registered/known settlements,
Re: Scrapping States, Lgs Accounts’ll Hinder Devt, Federalism —acn by Gbawe: 8:19am On Aug 18, 2011
ekt_bear:

Well said. It was fun watching this predictable 'witch hunt' that is the usual sort we see on Nairaland against the ACN . The OP should have provided the complete article that encapsulates the full views of the ACN or respondents to this thread could have done their own investigation before saying what we knew they would say anyway.

I think , in the haste to lambast the ACN, most forget that it is Nigerian States and the federal Government that are federating units not LGs which must always remain extended appendages of a State to aid productivity and the notion of effective checks and balances. Some people should tell us who the LG's should answer to when they begin to operate like federating units !!!! The FG?  Are we then not back to square one of centralised corruption, ineptitude , cronyism , FG allocation of important work to conduits et al ?

There are a lot of measures that can be put in place to aid efficiency and the transparent disbursement and utilization of funds . Not seeking to look at those measures first , only to jump into a populist amendment , may cause serious confusion and more disorder . We know planning against adverse repercussion of his actions is not GEJ's strong points. Conversely, we know GEJ does not mind disorder or cynical opportunism so long as he gets his ways (electoral amendment to make his appointees voting delegates, Ogun impeachment debacle, Teslim Folarin etc).

It is like how GEJ advocated a 6-7 years single tenure ,not at all popular worldwide, yet he has rejected looking at vitally fundamental issues of reform that can have devastating effects in making politics unattractive to all but those who wish to serve the electorate. We forget that the same GEJ that cleared out the ECA for political ambition , and 'settled' everything that moved, is the same one pretending to be submitting the single tenure bill because he is worried about the money spent on winning elections !!!! Egbami !!!

This populist LG disbursement amendment is simply a 'sweetener' thrown in there to get every sector of the polity to go along with tenure elongation. We have seen it all before and folks will see me proven right . I was the first to say GEJ planned to amend the electoral bill so his appointees could be voting delegates. His minions on nairaland denied it and called me names. Lo and behold, Mr. President submitted that same precise amendment to the electoral bill !!!! Let us wait and see . GEJ remains very predictable because he is one of the thousands of dull mediocrities who got into politics in a country with very low standards of admission into that sector.

http://pmnewsnigeria.com/2011/08/16/acn-to-jonathan-dont-scrap-stateslgs-joint-accounts/

Commenting further on the amendment being proposed by the president, the ACN said under the current constitution, the Federal and State Governments are the federating units, while LGCs are mere administrative units of state at the local levels.

”Making LGCs federating units (as being proposed by the Constitutional Amendment) will further strengthen the Federal Government and weaken all other units, thereby pushing Nigeria towards centralisation or unitary governance. As things are today, Nigeria’s inability to develop at the desired pace is due to over-centralisation brought about by the extended era of military rule,” it said.

ACN also warned that the proposed constitutional amendment would defeat the essence of federalism, which assumes relative autonomy and coordinate status among federating units, adding: ”With almost 800 states and local governments associating with one Federal Government, the characteristics of federalism will be lost.”

Listing other setbacks that can be wrought by the proposed constitutional amendment, it said power sharing among three tiers of government (instead of two) would introduce unnecessary confusion in the legislative, executive and judicial spheres, and precipitate jurisdictional conflicts, especially at the state and local government levels, which will inevitably lead to poor service delivery.

”While it is easy to distinguish functions that are usually left for states from those that should be implemented in common with the centre (like defence, international relations, currency, citizenship, aviation, customs, immigration), it would be very difficult to neatly sub-divide existing state functions between states on the one hand and local government councils on the other.

”For instance, the experiment of leaving primary education and primary health care to local governments while the states manage the rest has failed because these sectors must be administered holistically if they are ever to be efficient. Needless to say that making LGCs autonomous federating units not subject to state control will make it impossible to coordinate developmental efforts within the states, thus leading to disastrous consequences,” ACN said.

The party said while periodic constitutional amendments are desirable, such amendments must serve the interest of the nation and its people, instead of worsening a bad situation or achieving only cosmetic change.

”When placed side by side with the president’s single-tenure push through a constitutional amendment, it will seem that the president is embarking on the push for amendment just for amendment sake, instead of the impact it will have on the polity.

”If the president is so keen to champion constitutional amendments, we urge him to look at the kind of amendments that will make our elections more transparent, that will enhance national development by scrapping age-old anti-investment laws like the Railways Act and the like,” ACN said.

(1) (Reply)

222 / Soldier Redeployed To Borno From Warri Is Dumped By Girlfriend / Madam Farida Waziri: You Forgot Something!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.