Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,458 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

Face To Face With Gov Amosun . - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Face To Face With Gov Amosun . (534 Views)

Gov. Amosun Controlling Traffic On Lag-ib Rd, King Sunny Ade Stops To Thank Him / Face To Face With Nnamdi Kanu, The Man Behind Radio Biafra - Sun News / Secondary School Students Arrested For Cultism Pictured With Gov Okorocha (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Face To Face With Gov Amosun . by Gbawe2: 8:09am On Aug 17, 2011
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=58096:face-to-face-with-gov-amosun-&catid=77:letters&Itemid=613

Face to face with Gov Amosun
Wednesday, 17 August 2011 00:00 By Ikechukwu James Opinion - Letters

SIR: Permit me a space in your newspaper to comment on an event that took place in Ogun State during the last environmental sanitation exercise. I go to Abeokuta once in a while to visit my childhood friend and colleague at a place called Itoku.

While attempting to dash across the road, I saw a convoy of vehicles without the usual sirens blaring at the highest decibels. I thought since it was a sanitation day, there was probably no need to use sirens and chase other road users away from the road with rawhide whips and barrels of gun.

Suddenly, all the vehicles pulled up a few metres from where I stood. Of course, that naturally drew my attention. I moved close like others to look at the big man in the convoy. I then saw a man in a T-shirt and pair of trousers. ‘Is this the governor, is he an athlete?’ I muttered to myself.

But the greatest surprise was that the governor felt so comfortable exchanging pleasantries with the ordinary citizens. He then addressed the people who had suddenly formed a throng around him, urging them to always take an active part in the sanitation exercise and promising to repair their road with immediate effect.

That encounter was a pleasant surprise to me. The governor, I was told, does not use sirens. I then began to wonder why elected public officials should be blaring sirens day and night with their security details beating and insulting other road users, including those that put them in office through their votes.

If such public functionaries truly won their elections, why should they be afraid to chat with their people in the most ordinary way? Why should you be afraid or run away from the same people that voted you into office?

I didn’t really know anything about the governor but the 20 minutes he spent at Itoku on that fateful day impressed me. I therefore encourage other public office holders to take their cue from Ogun State. Political power is transient; it is the people that count in a democracy.

Owerri, Imo State

Author of this article: By Ikechukwu James
Re: Face To Face With Gov Amosun . by GoldCircle: 1:10pm On Aug 17, 2011
kini big deal??
Re: Face To Face With Gov Amosun . by Gbawe: 2:00pm On Aug 17, 2011
GoldCircle:

kini big deal??

Non at all. I Just thought it is fair to seek balance against all the negative threads against "evil cultist" Amosun. The point is that if this thread contained negative reportage against Amosun, it would have about 80 replies by now. Next time I hope you remember to say "kini big deal" when someone maligns the character of Amosun unfairly.

(1) (Reply)

Job Creation My Priority, Says Minister / Rivers State To Have Steady Electricity Next Year- Gov Amaechi / Fears Grow Over Nigerian Islamists' 'terror Links'

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 10
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.