Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,133 members, 7,818,401 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:28 PM

68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN - Crime - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Crime / 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN (2001 Views)

Five Fulani Herds­men Kidnapped In Abia Community / How A Woman Was Randomly Kidnapped In Rivers State Yesterday / 15-Year-Old Caught Having Sex With Sheep In Nnewi, Anambra (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 9:38am On Aug 17, 2011
PLEASE THIS IS JUST FOR THE INFORMATION
I WONT TOLERATE ANY TRIBAL WAR /CLASH ON THIS THREAD OR I LOCK IT UP

ILEKE IDI AND EKO ILE PLS TAKE NOTE
. cheesy

Kidnappers hold Nnewi hostage
68 people already kidnapped
•Traders, professionals close shop, beg President Jonathan for help

Eight months after the people of the industrial town of Nnewi in Anambra State raised the alarm that armed robbers and kidnappers are holding them on the throat, they have cried out to President Goodluck Jonathan, the Inspector-General of Police and the Chief of Army Staff to come to their rescue.

In January this year, businessmen and other professionals in the commercial town christened the Japan of Africa, had lamented that kidnapping, armed robbery and general insecurity were in the upscale in the town, making many of them to flee the city.

Faced with the challenge and fear of not losing the entrepreneurs that make the city tick, the leadership of the popular Nkwo-Edo Auto Spare Parts market and the town union government (Nzuko-Ora, the Elders Council in Nnewi)) read the riot act to those who do not have any tangible means of livelihood, asking them to quit the city.

But when this could not produce the desired result, the traditional ruler of the town, Igwe Kenneth O.N Orizu, called for spiritual cleansing of the town. He staged an inter-denominational service at the St Andrew’s   Anglican Church (DCC), Nnewi where prayers, petitions and entreaties were made to God through His servants, Bishops Odili Okeke and G.I.N Okpala of the Catholic and Anglican Dioceses of Nnewi.

But eight months down the line, the people are still not satisfied as they have renewed their cry over insecurity occasioned by rising incidents of armed robbery and kidnapping, making them to now urge President Jonathan and the army chief to help by deploying soldiers to the commercial hub,

Thus on Wednesday, August 10, as early as 7a.m., traders at the popular Nkwo Nnewi Market and others from the commercial city started trooping out to the gates of the Main Market to protest incessant kidnapping, particularly targeted at them and their colleagues.
As soon as they started gathering, all activities in the town were brought to a halt. Indeed, it was a day bankers, lawyers, medical doctors, importers and other traders closed shop in the town to urge President Jonathan to save them from kidnappers, who they claimed had abducted about 68 persons from the town in recent times.

The people probably could not contain the shock some days when unknown men who are yet to let him off the hook kidnapped a frontline industrialist, Chief Emmanuel Uba.
Uba’s abductors were alleged to have demanded N70 million as ransom, a demand that was said to have infuriated the citizens of the town.

As if that was not enough, the Concerned Nnewi Stakeholders Forum (CNSF) said that fresh victims are reported missing on a daily basis.
As the town was shut down in another protest, the Chairman of Nzuko Ora Nnewi, Chief Agu Onyeka, told the large crowd that the stakeholders, traders, lawyers and medical doctors would not rest until the President and his government addressed the issue of insecurity.

Another stakeholder, Chief Gabriel Chukwuma, reminded the assembly that Nnewi market alone boasts of over 80, 000 traders and as stakeholders and elders in the commercial city, they would not fold their arms and allow the city collapse as a result of insecurity.
According to one of the concerned stakeholders, Mr. Gozie Akudolu, who is also the President of Nnewi Traders Association, “Since this kidnapping issue started, about 68 major importers and manufacturers in Nnewi have been kidnapped, and as a result over 130 major importers and manufacturers in the commercial city have relocated to the South-west or other Northern states for fear of being kidnapped.

“It is common knowledge that Nnewi is strategic to the nation’s economy, with hundreds of industrial and manufacturing companies. It is on this note that we have asked Mr. President, the Chief of Army Staff and the Inspector General of Police to come to our aid as we now live at the mercy of kidnappers and armed robbers.

“At the last count, more than 15 people died while being held by kidnappers. Over 300 persons have fallen victim in one way or the other. Presently, 10 people are still being held at different unknown locations, and efforts to rescue them continue to prove abortive, as their captors insist on impossible conditions for their release”.
Collaborating this, the Secretary of the Nigeria Bar Association, Nnewi branch, Mr. Joseph Okeke, lamented that an average of 15 people were abducted on daily basis.
“I live in this town; so, I know; kidnapping has caused a plethora of businesses to shut down here. Now, expatriates are skeptical of moving into this town. That is why we are appealing to all relevant authorities to create an anti-kidnap squad of the Nigerian Police in Anambra State,” he said.

However, the Anambra State Command through its Public Relations Officer, Mr. Emeka Chukwuemeka, claimed that only eight persons had been kidnapped in Nnewi town, saying that out of that number seven have been rescued by the police.
“We have gone to our records and discovered that in the whole of Nnewi Command, comprising 16 divisions, only 24 kidnap cases have been recorded. Out of this number, only eight persons were ever kidnapped in Nnewi as a town, and seven of these people have been released, with the exception of Mr. Emma Uba, who is still with his captors.

“Security is not the monopoly of security agents, therefore, we ask Anambrarians to furnish us with credible and verifiable information that will help us serve them better. It is part of our civic responsibility as Nigerians,” he said.
But both Akudolu and Okeke in separate interviews with Daily Sun, faulted the police claim, saying that “it is we who wear the shoes that will tell the world where it pinches.”

Thus, Akudolu insisted that from the Market’s record, nothing less than 68 people have been kidnapped from the town.
“I am not in the position to declare their statistics as false, that might be the police record. But our own record says that over 68 people have been kidnapped, that is what our own record says. But I must commend our state governor, Mr. Peter Obi for his assistance in this issue. It is sad to note that despite all he has done to equip the police in the state, we are still witnessing this type of crime surge,” the importer said.

Okeke also argued that the police have not rescued anybody from the town with the exception of one from the Orizu royal family who was released freely by his captors after ransom was paid.
“I don’t know anybody who has been rescued or released. You know the police will not tell you the truth because they want to protect their job. And people, who would ordinarily give them information, do not trust them.

But I must commend the Area Commander here and his team who have been working assiduously with us to improve our lot, and the governor of Anambra State, who has donated state-of-the-art equipment to the police. Let them sit up and protect us”, the lawyer begged.
Earlier, the CNSF had addressed an open letter dated August 9, 2011 to President Jonathan entitled, “A call to save our soul as kidnappers, armed robbers over run Nnewi”.

In the letter, the groups had demanded among others, “that the State Security Services (SSS) and other security agencies be tasked on effective intelligence gathering in and around Nnewi.
“That the rescue of those still held by kidnappers be made a national rescue project by deploying soldiers to Nnewi for the rescue of these victims.”

The commercial town of Nnewi is strategic to the economy of the country as it plays host to hundreds of industrial and manufacturing companies of international standard which altogether have over 50, 000  employees.
Nnewi equally has more than 22 banks doing business in it just as it houses the fast growing Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital and some other institutions of higher learning.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DrummaBoy(m): 9:58am On Aug 17, 2011
Pity.
And we have a govt.
GEJ had better add this security issue to his Power Supply priority and not end up a failure
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 10:09am On Aug 17, 2011
Lol @ ibo on ibo violence and atrocities. What else is new here? Anything for money syndrom.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 10:22am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Lol @ ibo on ibo violence and atrocities. What else is new here? Anything for money syndrom.

HEY! BE GUIDED MY FRIEND! NO TRIBALISM
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 10:23am On Aug 17, 2011
DrummaBoy:

Pity.
And we have a govt.
GEJ had better add this security issue to his Power Supply priority and not end up a failure

I agree but we the masses need to be alert too
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by chino11(m): 10:29am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Baseless as usual. Was it not your yorooba criminal leaders that collected money to have abioala slaughtered by ordinary almajiris. I dont know when you will start facing the reality, the rot ravaging your yoooroba land. The news threatening the country now is news concerning you yoorobas
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 10:39am On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

HEY! BE GUIDED MY FRIEND! NO TRIBALISM

What's tribalism got to do with with stated and documented fact? Is this not ibo on ibo violence and atrocities?
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 10:43am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

What's tribalism got to do with with stated and documented fact? Is this not ibo on ibo violence and atrocities?

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! DONT DERAIL MY THREAD

chino11:

Baseless as usual. Was it not your yorooba criminal leaders that collected money to have abioala slaughtered by ordinary almajiris. I dont know when you will start facing the reality, the rot ravaging your yoooroba land. The news threatening the country now is news concerning you yoorobas

BROS CALM DOWN
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by Afam4eva(m): 10:46am On Aug 17, 2011
68 people? Where they conveyed in a lorry or what? This country should be banned by the UN.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 10:46am On Aug 17, 2011
chino11:

And after spewing your mindless and irrelevant rubbish, the fact still remains that your people are spilling their own brothers and sisters blood all over the place for money, they are spreading pain, agony and sorrow all over the place and I don't think yoruba people are responsible for that.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 10:51am On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED ! DONT DERAIL MY THREAD

BROS CALM DOWN

Warn who? Are you mad?

Shouldnt you answer the questions I asked to see the stupidity behind your silly post?
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 11:02am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Warn who? Are you mad?

Shouldnt you answer the questions I asked to see the stupidity behind your silly post?

THEM NEVA DO U DON DEY CURSE ME SEF. YOU DON DEY RANT!

Eko Ile:

WWHAT IS THE BOLDED TRASH SUPPOSE TO MEAN ABI U NO GET BRAIN SAY THAT WORD DEY TRIBAL?
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by aljharem3: 11:04am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Warn who? Are you mad?

guy u came here chatting ibo ibo,

is kidnapping only happening in nnewi, what about other states of the country

u need to relax with this ur tribalism, it would not take u anywhere
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by aljharem3: 11:06am On Aug 17, 2011
We need a good security force in Nigeria. or state security enough of all this federal security that cannot even keep FCT save undecided

individual states needs it's police system
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 11:07am On Aug 17, 2011
alj_harem:

u need to relax with this your tribalism, it would not take u anywhere

DONT MIND 'IT' cool cool
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 11:22am On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

THEM NEVA DO U DON DEY CURSE ME SEF. YOU DON DEY RANT!

WWHAT IS THE BOLDED TRASH SUPPOSE TO MEAN ABI U NO GET BRAIN SAY THAT WORD DEY TRIBAL?

Who are we talking about and who are the people in nnewi? Ibo people, yoruba people, hausa people or aliens? You might want to change the title from nnewi to aliens

What's the point of your thread? You started a thread about violence and atrocities against innocent people, but, you cowardly don't want to talk about the people involved as if the folks behind these acts are sacred.

This is a public forum, you can not dictate to people what to say so stop crying and answer the question I asked you.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by chino11(m): 11:26am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

And after spewing your mindless and irrelevant rubbish, the fact still remains that your people are spilling their own brothers and sisters blood all over the place for money, they are spreading pain, agony and sorrow all over the place and I don't think yoruba people are responsible for that.

korofo, we didn't say your useless yoorobas are responsible for that, but what we are saying is that you yoroobas have more problems at hand to have time to look eastward. Have you said anything concerning the facts revealed mustafa concerning yooroba leaders- how bola ige, adesanya and co took bribe money from the north to have almajiris slaughter abioala and his entire family. You yoorobas has more pains and poverty to worry about than all the regions in Nigeria put together
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 11:34am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Who are we talking about and who are the people in nnewi? Ibo people, yoruba people, hausa people or aliens? You might want to change the title from nnewi to aliens

What's the point of your thread? You started a thread about violence and atrocities against innocent people, but, you cowardly don't want to talk about the people involved as if the folks behind these acts are sacred.

This is a public forum, you can not dictate to people what to say so stop crying and answer the question I asked you.

YOU GET ANCESTRAL PROBLEM WALAHI!!!
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 11:35am On Aug 17, 2011
alj_harem:

u need to relax with this your tribalism, it would not take u anywhere

Shut up with your silly tribalism nonsense, would you like to show us where else 68 people were kidnapped in nigeria and who did the kidnapping. Does your sily tribalism accusations alters the fact that this is ibo on ibo violence? Does it really.

Must you people always try not to make sense at al

You people spew tribalism by hiding away from and covering up obvios facts. How do you even identify and solve the problem if all you do is lie and run away from the obvious facts even as stated in the news article.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 11:38am On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

YOU GET ANCESTRAL PROBLEM WALAHI!!!

Answering my questions would have surfficed instead of the same rubbish you kee posting.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by chino11(m): 11:38am On Aug 17, 2011
The guy has spiritual problem, he needs deliverance by drowning him in the river niger grin grin grin grin
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 11:47am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

Answering my questions would have surfficed instead of the same rubbish you kee posting.

NOW I BELIEVE U ARE WRITING FROM A WARD AT PSYCHO HOSPITAL YABA cool
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 11:49am On Aug 17, 2011
Typical evil wish and evil people syndrom. What elese is new.?
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 11:53am On Aug 17, 2011
Da Doctor:

NOW I BELIEVE U ARE WRITING FROM A WARD AT PSYCHO HOSPITAL YABA cool

All this nonsense na dodging. Answer my questions. We both know the reason why you won't answer, its simply because answering them go display your stupidity.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by DaDoctor: 11:59am On Aug 17, 2011
Eko Ile:

All this nonsense na dodging. Answer my questions. We both know the reason why you won't answer, its simply because answering them go display your stupidity.

ITS ALMOST 12 NOON GO TAKE UR MEDICATION SO UR MADNESS CAN DECELERATE! cool cool
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by chino11(m): 3:28pm On Aug 17, 2011
Doc, why are you wasting your time with this mad rat?? leave him to his own peril. He doesn't want to listen to the voice of wisdom. Am sure he is typing this mess from Psycho-ward
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by EkoIle1: 5:27pm On Aug 17, 2011
chino11:

Doc, why are you wasting your time with this mad rat?? leave him to his own peril. He doesn't want to listen to the voice of wisdom. Am sure he is typing this mess from Psycho-ward

The only mad rats I see here are the losers going up and down denying their own people and identity.

You clowns are yet to even address the issues about your own people preying on the innocents within your own communities, you are preoccupied with your identity.

Silly losers.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by Nobody: 5:29pm On Aug 17, 2011
THIS IS NOTHING NEW!!!

POSTER, comot my name jor. As if I planned on going to any Igboland in the future. Keep kidnapping each other for money, you hear. Instead of calming the fire burning down your house, keep pointing at Yorubaman as if na him set your house on fire.
Re: 68 PEOPLE KIDNAPPED IN NNEWI AS TOWN IS SHUT DOWN by T8ksy(m): 5:31pm On Aug 17, 2011
Now i see why ndigbos are not too keen to actualise their biafran dream, any longer

No wonder they are now singing "One Nigeria" again like Zik of Africa nay Onitsha croned in the late 50's.

No wonder they are now agitating for an Igbo state by the name festac from within Lagos state.

No wonder, they are all fleeing their "Land of the rising sun" in droves, for yorubaland.

Now the penny drops!  grin  grin

Unfortunately, the ingrates still persist in abusing our generosity and hospitality.

Oh well, enough is enough.

We are not One (Nigeria). We have never been One ( Nigeria). We will never be One (Nigeria).

Now, ph.ock off to your kidnapping city and you can do whatever you like to each other.

Bloody ingrates!!!

(1) (Reply)

Pastor Caught In Bed With Female Youth Leader; Escapes Half-nak*d / The Lord is Good. / Pregnant Lady Dies While Aborting Her Child (disturbing Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.