Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,255 members, 7,818,876 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:04 AM

Is The Bible Contradictory - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is The Bible Contradictory (797 Views)

Mattew Vs Luke: A Contradictory Gospel (part2) / 2015 Elections…As Prophets Gives Contradictory Prophesies / A Tale Of Two Contradictory Gospels. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is The Bible Contradictory by Refugee1: 10:22am On Aug 17, 2011
The bible sometimes gets me confused and I wonder if it was actually inspired by God. For example one of the ten commandments says 'thou shall not kill'. Note that there was no condition attached to this commandment. It explicitly said don't kill. We still find in the same bible where God commanded the Israelite to conquer their enemies in battle. How can God give two contradictory commands. There are many more contradictions. Can someone please explain this.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by UyiIredia(m): 10:41am On Aug 17, 2011
let's have the other parts you have problems with.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Nobody: 10:47am On Aug 17, 2011
Sorry I do not have much time to write a lengthy reply, but see below for a very good response that I agree with.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by LagosShia: 10:54am On Aug 17, 2011
i believe that the correct wording of that commandment should be "thou shall not commit murder" and not "thou shall not kill".

but anyways as i will show in a few instances in my next post,the bible does have multiple contradictions.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Nobody: 10:55am On Aug 17, 2011
To answer the question whether God breaks His own commandments, we need to determine if God committed murder (i.e., killed people without cause like in ISLAM ). The Bible is quite clear that God has killed people directly (the most prominent example being the flood) and indirectly (ordered peoples to be killed). If God ordered or participated in the killing of innocent people, then He would be guilty of murder. Let's look at two of the most prominent examples.

The flood

According to the Bible, God killed every human except Noah, his wife, his sons, and their wives in the flood. Were any of these people killed unjustly? The Bible says specifically that all people (except Noah and his family) had become corrupted. Not only had all people become corrupted, but they were continually plotting evil! Is it possible that an entire culture can become corrupted? You bet!

Recent history proves the point rather well.

When the Nazis took over Germany before WWII, opposition was crushed and removed. When they began their purging of the undesirables (e.g., the Jews), virtually the entire society went along with the plan ( so they were all corrupted by hate and murder , just like in ISLAM today  ). Further examples are given on another page. So, the Bible indicates that no innocent people were killed in the flood.

God orders killing

What about when God ordered Joshua and his people to kill every man, woman and child in Canaan? What crime could be so great that entire populations of cities were designated for destruction? God told Moses that the nations that the Hebrew were replacing were wicked. How "wicked" were these people? The text tells us that they were burning their own sons and daughters in sacrifices to their gods. So we see that these people were not really innocent. For these reasons (and others), God ordered the destruction of the peoples whom the Israelites dispossessed.

What about the children and other "innocents"

Surely God could have spared the children! People tend to assume that children are innocent, even if their parents are doing bad things. The assumption is unfounded. For example, Palestinian Muslim children are officially taught in grammar school to hate their Jewish neighbors. They are so well indoctrinated that some of them give up their lives in suicide bombings as children.

Corruption literally does breed corruption, which is why God did not want the Hebrews tainted by the other corrupt cultures of the Middle East.

Surely there must have been other innocent adults in those cities who were destroyed with the wicked! There actually is an example of a time when God was asked if He would destroy the innocent along with the wicked. Prior to destroying Sodom and Gomorrah, Abraham asked God if He would destroy the righteous along with the wicked. God replied that He would spare the entire city for 50 righteous people.

Abraham kept reducing the possible number of righteous people, asking God if He would destroy the entire city along with those number of righteous people. God's reply in each case was that He would not destroy the righteous along with the wicked. The lowest number Abraham asked about was ten righteous people, although the answer would likely be the same with as few as one righteous individual.

How do we know this? God sent two angels to warn the four righteous people in Sodom to flee before He destroyed the city.23 It is quite convenient that such details are usually left out of atheistic sites complaining about the "evil" perpetrated by God. In fact, God saved certain people from being killed in cities such as
Jericho.

Conclusion

Is God a Moral Monster?The commandment "Thou shalt not kill" is really not as general as the King James version would indicate. The commandment actually refers to premeditated, unjustified killing - murder like in ISLAN

Although God ordered the extermination of entire cities, He did so in righteous judgment on a people whose corruption had led to extreme wickedness, including child sacrifice, SUICIDE  BOMBING , JEW HATRED etc . Did God destroy the righteous along with the wicked?

In an exchange with Abraham, God indicated that He would spare the wicked to save the righteous. He demonstrated this principle by saving righteous people from Sodom and Jericho prior to their destruction. The charge that God indiscriminately murdered people does not hold to to critical evaluation of the biblical texts.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Nobody: 10:56am On Aug 17, 2011
LagosShia:

i believe that the correct wording of that commandment should be "thou shall not commit murder" and not "thou shall not kill".

but anyways as i will show in a few instances in my next post,the bible does have multiple contradictions.

Hey bro, how you doing , long time. grin grin grin
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by LagosShia: 11:07am On Aug 17, 2011
you can review three threads and see the instances of contradiction stated below:

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria?topic=735489.msg8921113#msg8921113
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-734053.0.html
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-687029.0.html

The sins of the father
ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.
DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

Who is the father of Joseph?
MAT 1:16 And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.
LUK 3:23 And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli.

Which was first--beasts or man?
GEN 1:25 And God made the beast of the earth after his kind, and cattle after their kind, and every thing that creepeth upon the earth after his kind: and God saw that it was good.
GEN 1:26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.
GEN 2:18 And the LORD God said, It is not good that the man should be alone; I will make him an help meet for him.
GEN 2:19 And out of the ground the LORD God formed every beast of the field, and every fowl of the air; and brought them unto Adam to see what he would call them: and whatsoever Adam called every living creature, that was the name thereof.

The Righteous live?
PSA 92:12: "The righteous shall flourish like the palm tree."
ISA 57:1: "The righteous perisheth, and no man layeth it to heart."

Jesus' first sermon-on the plain or mount?
MAT 5:1,2: "And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him: And he opened his mouth, and taught them, saying, "

LUK 6:17,20: "And he came down with them, and stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great multitude of people, came to hear him,  And he lifted up his eyes on his disciples and said, "

Who Moved David to anger?
II SAMUEL 24: And again the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel, and he moved David against them to say, Go, number Israel and Judah.
I CHRONICLES 21: And SATAN stood up against Israel, and provoked David to number Israel.

Does God Tempts or Not?
"And it came to pass after these things, that God did tempt Abraham." (GEN 22:1)
"Let no man say when he is tempted, I am tempted of God; for God cannot be tempted with evil, neither tempteth he any man." (JAS 1:13)

How Did Judas die?
"And he cast down the pieces of silver into the temple and departed, and went out and hanged himself." (MAT 27:5)
"And falling headlong, he burst asunder in the midst, and all of his bowels gushed out." (ACT 1:18)

Does every man sin?
ECC 7:20 For there is not a just man upon earth, that doeth good, and sinneth not.

JO1 3:9 Whosoever is born of God doth not commit sin; for his seed remaineth in him: and he cannot sin, because he is born of God.

Who bears guilt?
GAL 6:2 Bear ye one another's burdens, and so fulfil the law of Christ.
GAL 6:5 For every man shall bear his own burden.

Do you answer a fool?
PRO 26:4 Answer not a fool according to his folly, lest thou also be like unto him.
PRO 26:5 Answer a fool according to his folly, lest he be wise in his own conceit.

Did those with Saul/Paul at his conversion hear a voice?
ACT 9:7 And the men which journeyed with him stood speechless, hearing a voice, but seeing no man.
ACT 22:9 And they that were with me saw indeed the light, and were afraid; but they heard not the voice of him that spake to me.
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by LagosShia: 11:09am On Aug 17, 2011
frosbel:

Hey bro, how you doing , long time. grin grin grin

Hey sis,I'm doing great!
hope you're getting well! grin
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Nobody: 11:56am On Aug 17, 2011
sis

I hope you are fine today grin
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by HISchild: 2:24am On Aug 18, 2011
humbly,  in a single answer,  absolutely not, The Holy Bible is the most harmonious book ever, for “All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness: That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works.” -2 Timothy 3:16-17

The issue re: killing is this,
For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of GOD;” -rom 3:23

"For the wages of sin [is] death; but the gift of GOD [is] eternal life through JESUS CHRIST our Lord.” -Rom 6:23  (no human being has a right to life, life of the body or the soul, for all have sinned and "the wages of sin is death".  GOD has no pleasure in the death of the wicked , "For I have no pleasure in the death of him that dieth, saith the Lord GOD: wherefore turn yourselves, and live ye. -Ezekiel 18:32

But for the mercy of GOD that HE so graciously bestows upon human beings in this life, ,  "That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust." - Matthew 5:45, and then bestows on us in the next by sacrificing HIMSELF to save the souls of many, giving us eternal life in order to dwell with HIM after),

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved." - John 3:16-17

The Lord [is] gracious, and full of compassion; slow to anger, And of great mercy.” - Pss 145:8

All humans (as their well as our souls) who come from the earth belong to the Lord GOD (Ezekiel 18:4), and world belongs to GOD ,  "The earth is the LORD's, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein." - Psalm 24:1

"Now therefore, if ye will obey my voice indeed, and keep my covenant, then ye shall be a peculiar treasure unto me above all people: for all the earth is mine:" - Exodus 19:5

Plus, GOD reigns supreme, HE is The King of all the earth -
"See now that I, even I, am he, and there is no god with me: I kill, and I make alive; I wound, and I heal: neither is there any that can deliver out of my hand." - Deuteronomy 32:39

Keeping all this in mind, in addition to the fact that "The LORD is righteous in all his ways, and holy in all his works." - Psalm 145:17,  the nations that The Lord GOD commanded the children of Israel to destroy were engaged in all sorts of abominations (homosexuality, beastiality, perverseness and so on,  see Leviticus 18, etc,  akin to the kind of wickedness we see in the world today,  The Kingdom of Heaven is near, "even at the doors"wink, thus it was GOD's righteous intent to remove / destroy them, by the hand of HIS servant(s), Israel,  (Sodom and Gomorrah and their neighboring cities that GOD destroyed with fire from Heaven are set as an example of HIS righteous judgment for sin)

"Understand therefore this day, that the LORD thy God is he which goeth over before thee; as a consuming fire he shall destroy them, and he shall bring them down before thy face: so shalt thou drive them out, and destroy them quickly, as the LORD hath said unto thee. Speak not thou in thine heart, after that the LORD thy God hath cast them out from before thee, saying, For my righteousness the LORD hath brought me in to possess this land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD doth drive them out from before thee. Not for thy righteousness, or for the uprightness of thine heart, dost thou go to possess their land: but for the wickedness of these nations the LORD thy God doth drive them out from before thee, and that he may perform the word which the LORD sware unto thy fathers, Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob." - Deuteronomy 9:3-5

Praise GOD for mercy and grace through our Lord JESUS CHRIST, that there is a way to escape HIS righteous wrath for sin, HE paying the price for many.

"But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us." -Romans 5:8

"And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission." - Hebrews 9:22
---------

Numbers 14:18
"The LORD is longsuffering, and of great mercy, forgiving iniquity and transgression, and by no means clearing the guilty, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation."

Exodus 34:6
"And the LORD passed by before him, and proclaimed, The LORD, The LORD God, merciful and gracious, longsuffering, and abundant in goodness and truth,"
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by cofo: 3:43am On Aug 18, 2011
smiley My friend in his words God said "thou shall not kill" he said that for a reason.
People today are forever killing and murdering the innocent or killing those who are in the wrong but still has
a right to life, for those who clearly disobey his word and go ahead and comit that crime with no sense of remorse or repentance, God will pass a judgement on them and therefore where they are going wont be pretty at all!! If your asking where its called Hell!
But hell is not a place of burning fire and Satan looks grosely hidious as these Ameture heaven and hell paintets picture hell as. Hell is actually a place where people who refuse to accept Jesus go, people who had commited the most Abominationable crimes you can think of is in hell being reminded of their crimes day in, day out non stop!
As for God ordering his people to concure others well thats a different story, he only supports those who are good!
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by PA1982(f): 9:17am On Aug 18, 2011
Contradictions in the Bible?
Good question.
Can anyone tell me what the last words of Jesus Christ were?
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Sweetnecta: 10:54am On Aug 18, 2011
Contradictory: Jesus said John is the greatest Prophet ever raised in Israel.
Jesus, a prophet sent by God to yo people of Israel.

I guess John is greater prophet than Jesus.

John said he is not Elijah.
Jesus said John is Elijah.

Jesus is arguing with a greater Prophet, saying he was wrong.

Neither John nor Jesus said he was "that Prophet".
Has the children seen "That Prophet" among them, either in Israel or somewhere else?

Or they are still waiting for "That prophet" to come?

Jesus is the son of man.
Jesus is the son of God.

Jesus is the son of David.
Jesus is the son of Joseph.

Jesus is the son of Yahweh.
Jesus is Yahweh.

God died when Jesus died.
God does not die.

God does not power to do anything when couldn't do anything
God has Power and capable to do everything.

God is truly what the disbelievers say and associate with Him/
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by Nobody: 10:57am On Aug 18, 2011
Can you please confirm that the only truthful words in the bible are those which are used to validate Muhammad's prophet-hood .

grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Is The Bible Contradictory by LagosShia: 2:25am On Aug 19, 2011
frosbel:

Can you please confirm that the only truthful words in the bible are those which are used to validate Muhammad's prophet-hood .

grin grin grin grin grin grin

you have being replied below in another thread.stop the game of repetition!

LagosShia:

at least you can lead by example by accepting or showing us the "little" falsehood found in the bible.many have being pointed out to you in many threads but to you the entire bible is still "holy" and the "word of God".so you can lead by example and show us the way.even if the "only truth left" is not about Muhammad (sa),lead by example and show us just one falsehood in the bible.many have being pointed out to you in random threads.
https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-738394.0.html

(1) (Reply)

Zionist Israel Would Destroy Iran If Attacked / - / Osama Bin Laden Advice To His Children And Grandchildren"go Live Peacefully In The West And Get

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.