Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,780 members, 7,817,230 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:27 AM

Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars (737 Views)

5 Nigerians Who Have Received Oscars Nomination, Award / "Elesin Oba Passes Check On Cinematography, Storyline" - Shola-Adido Oladotun / Genevieve Nnaji’s ‘Lionheart’ Submitted For The Oscar 2020 By Nigerian Committee (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars by IbileIfe: 2:03am On Oct 12, 2022
Why "Elesin Oba" and "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For the Best International Feature Category of the 95th Annual Academy Awards

Only Biyi Bandele’s film ‘Elesin Oba’ or Kunle Afolayan’s ‘Anikulapo’ would have been eligible as Nigeria's submission for the Best Internationall Feature category of the 95th annual Academy Awards, but being released on Netflix and not for theatrical release caused the rejection. Because, the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (AMPAS) reverted back to the status quo of the pre COVID-19 pandemic rules.

After two pandemic years in which Netflix, Apple, Amazon, Hulu, and other streamers could qualify their films just on streaming platforms, the party is over.

The Motion Picture Academy has decreed that only movies that play in theaters will be eligible for the gold statues.

Academy Awards of Merit shall be given annually to honor outstanding artistic and scientific
achievements in theatrically released feature-length motion pictures, and to honor other
achievements as provided for in these rules and approved by the Board of Governors.
Films that, in any version, receive their first public exhibition or distribution in any manner other than
as a theatrical motion picture release will not be eligible for Academy Awards in any category.
Nontheatrical public exhibition or distribution includes but is not limited to:
• Broadcast and cable television
• PPV/VOD
• DVD distribution
• Inflight airline distribution
• Internet transmission

There was no need for any controversy.
A simple clarification would have been enough.

Video is not Cinema.
Video can never be like Cinema.
I prefer cinema to video.

Where there is no gra-gra
There will be no brouhaha.

Re: Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars by IamDietiesGod: 3:22am On Oct 12, 2022
On point op. I said the same thing last week when people were throwing shades at Nigeria Oscar committee for rejecting "Anikulapo" by kunle Afolayan. Even though the film is a masterpiece but for them not to submit it, it wasn't for no reason. Thanks for educating.

MMempire:

Space booker looking for FTC award. Una no get shame. Try dey write something at least. No reward for FTC on Nairaland.

Boy, I am not the cause of your frustrations. Since you know there is no reward for FTC then why are you pained and foaming. I should write something even if it's nonsense?. You that have shame even ended up commenting nothing.

1 Like

Re: Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars by MMempire(m): 5:03am On Oct 12, 2022
IamDietiesGod:
Space booker looking for FTC award. Una no get shame. Try dey write something at least. No reward for FTC on Nairaland.
Re: Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars by IbileIfe: 1:56pm On Oct 12, 2022
IamDietiesGod:
On point op. I said the same thing last week when people were throwing shades at Nigeria Oscar committee for rejecting "Anikulapo" by kunle Afolayan. Even though the film is a masterpiece but for them not to submit it, it wasn't for no reason. Thanks for educating.

Boy, I am not the cause of your frustrations. Since you know there is no reward for FTC then why are you pained and foaming. I should write something even if it's nonsense?. You that have shame even ended up commenting nothing.

I agree with you.

1 Like

Re: Why "Elesin Oba" And "Anikulapo" Failed To Be Submitted For The 2023 Oscars by IbileIfe: 1:22pm On Oct 21, 2022
NOSC retained its decision not to submit a film for the 2023 Oscars after reconvening yesterday, Thursday October 2022.

(1) (Reply)

Honeymoon In Hell (2024) | Nigerian (nollywood) Movie / Capturing Good Audio: What Do You Use? / Your Greatest Tv Moment? Please Share!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.