Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,321 members, 7,811,948 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:49 AM

Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? (3385 Views)

Ishmael Cursed By God? / Why Don’t Nigerian Pastors Preach Contentment? *picture* (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by waladis(m): 7:59pm On Aug 17, 2011
Genesis 16

1) Now Sarai Abram’s wife bare him no children: and she had an handmaid, an Egyptian, whose name was Hagar.

2) And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me frombearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain
children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.

3) And Sarai Abram’s wife took Hagar her maid the Egyptian, after Abram had dwelt ten years in the land of Canaan, and gave her to her husband Abramto be his wife.

4) And he went in unto Hagar, and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.

5) And Sarai said unto Abram, My wrong be upon thee: I have given my maid into thy bosom; and when she saw that she had conceived, I was despised in her eyes: the LORD judge between me and thee.

6) But Abram said unto Sarai, Behold, thy maid is in thine hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from
her face.

7) And the angel of the LORD found her by a fountain of water in the wilderness, by the fountain in the way to Shur.

8] And he said, Hagar, Sarai’s maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai.

9) And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Return to thy mistress, and submit thyself under her hands.

10) And the angel of the LORD said unto her, I will multiply thy seed exceedingly, that it shall not be numbered for multitude.

11) And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction.

12) And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man’s hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his
brethren.

13) And she called the name of the LORD that spake unto her, Thou God seest me: for she said, Have Ialso here looked after him that seeth me?

14)[/b]Wherefore the well was called Beerlahairoi; behold, it is between Kadesh and Bered.

[b]15)
And Hagar bare Abram a son: and Abram called his son’s name, which Hagar bare, Ishmael.

16) And Abram was fourscore and six years old, when Hagar bare Ishmael to Abram.

===================================================================================================================

The above chapter in the Bible brought the following thoughts and question into my mind.

I) Sarah was a little harsh on Hagar, so Hagar ran away from home.

II) An Angel of the Lord found Hagar on her runaway route, talked her into going back home and even told her about the child she carried in her womb. The Angel gave the child’s name as Ishmael.

Ishmael is amongst others (Isaac, Jesus, John the Baptist, Samson) in the Bible who had special births: an angel from God either announced their birth or gave their mothers instructions on the child they carried in their wombs.

Questions:   why do Christians not name their children Ishmael? is this Scripturally wrong, Christian-ly wrong or what exactly, or just for the fact that its associated with Islam? Who associated it with Islam, God or man?

I would understand, if Christians do not name their children Judas, but why not Ishmael?

your comments and opinions and welcome!
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by harakiri(m): 8:22pm On Aug 17, 2011
That's because the name ISHMAEL sounds like some sort of mountain he-goat! I would love to eat some Ishmael goat peppersoup. Care for some?
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Nobody: 8:42pm On Aug 17, 2011
Because the promise of the Messiah came through Isaac and not Ishmael.

Jesus Christ, came from the lineage of Isaac.

But more importantly because of the immense hatred , descendants of Ishmael have against the offspring of Isaac, christians and Jews.

1 Like

Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Sweetnecta: 9:57pm On Aug 17, 2011
^^^^Frosbel is so ignorant that the english need to send him out of the country directly to The Robbin Island Prison where Mandela and others used to be.

The wrong men were imprisoned there, while the right prisoner is now in England.

Christian bear Cain of all names.

Jews bear Judas of all names.

Jews and Christians hate each other more than arabs and or muslims could hate either of them.

Ishmael is the name of famous African American novelist, poet, essayist and activist Ishmael Reed,

Muslims bear it as Ismail, not Ishmael.
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by waladis(m): 7:55am On Aug 19, 2011
Sweetnecta:

Jews and Christians hate each other more than arabs and or muslims could hate either of them.

Really? I must have missed a lot then, like Jews and Christian suicide bombers killing each other.
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Sweetnecta: 9:30pm On Aug 19, 2011
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Sweetnecta: 9:33pm On Aug 19, 2011
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by tpia5: 10:33pm On Aug 19, 2011
google is the poster's friend
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Sweetnecta: 12:16am On Aug 20, 2011
And google is your enemy. I see.

I use gmail to access the videos.

There is a saying; why reinvent the wheel?

another saying is choose the easiest way to solve a problem if you have many ways, and all of them are morally good.
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by tpia5: 12:27am On Aug 20, 2011
^^i was addressing the op.
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by dnarowpath: 12:04pm On Aug 20, 2011
Maybe it's because of the understanding that Hagar & Ishmael were not in the original plan of God for Abraham - Gen.16:2
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by Ndipe(m): 11:47pm On Dec 08, 2011
I thought of the same question too recently because Ishamael is a unique name. Perhaps it has do with the belief that Ishmael is associated with Islam, according to beliefs. How true it is, I dont know.
Re: Why Don’t Christians Name Their Male Children Ishmael? by vedaxcool(m): 8:47am On Dec 09, 2011
dnarowpath:

Maybe it's because of the understanding that Hagar & Ishmael were not in the original plan of God for Abraham - Gen.16:2

Really, it seems most christians have God's original Plans! Just as it was not God "Original Plan" to save Jesus when he prayed for the cup to pass over and one last dicth attempt by shouting My Lord My Lord why have thou forsaken me. . .what a plan

(1) (Reply)

Reflection/homily: Second (2nd) Sunday Of Easter/divine Mercy Sunday 2013 / Nairaland Evangelists / Rccg: Impoverishing The Parish; Embellishing The Hq

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.