Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,482 members, 7,816,143 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:28 AM

Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes (620 Views)

Prof Awuzie, Onyike Elected President, Secretary Alaigbo Development Foundation / Why Are Igbo Women So Beautiful? / The Story Of Igbo Slaves Who Committed Mass Suicide Off U.S. Coast In 1803 (PIC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by AlexBells(m): 9:46pm On Oct 15, 2022
First of all I understand that slavery is s very emotional part of our history however it is something we should look straight in the face as a people, I also wish to state that most slaves shipped across the atlantic were victims of kidnapping.

I noticed that Igbo slaves and their descendants are more passionate about Igboland and has envisage and created more awareness about the Igbo Nation than many other Igbos.

While I understand that a great numbers of the victims of the transatlantic slave trades came from the Bight of Biafra (mainly Igboland), it is hard for popular slave or slave decendants from other regions. Apart from Bonny, Badagry was another popular slave market however I'm yet to read about popular Yoruba slaves, please is there any notable Yoruba slaves, I also know that the Bight of Benin shipped a sizable number of Igbo slaves, however I would love to see if there's any key event attributed to other slave victims of other nationalities.

For instance the Igbo landing is attributed to the Igbos who chose suicide over slavery, I would also take a look at 3 Igbo slave decendants who made global impacts in their times and in all of their time, they were very passionate about AlaIgbo.

1. Olaudah Equiano: Olaudah Equiano was an Igbo slave who bought his freedom, rose as a writer and abolitionist.

2. David Gittens An American born slave decendants and car designer: Designed the Ikenga GT a future car at the time in 1967 and among the pioneers of the gyroplane.

3. King Jaja of Opobo: Dubbed the Igbo slave boy, king Jaja would go on to find his own Kingdom notable is his leadership and business capacity, in a desire to ship the products of AlaIgbo mainly palm oil and kernel then directly to liverpool, he ran into trouble with British Business interest which didn't end well.

These men despite being slaves at some point never stopped working for the good of AlaIgbo

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by Nobody: 9:49pm On Oct 15, 2022
For your pocket
Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by Landlord97: 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2022
Maybe the ones which were recorded are these but all true Igbos outside the useless Nigeria incentives are passionate and love igboland and it's plight
Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by Emperormartin(m): 10:30pm On Oct 15, 2022
Yoruba slaves are representing in Brazil. Most of badagry slaves were shipped to Brazil while slaves from bight of Biafra were shipped to Jamaica, the US and other Caribbean countries
Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by AlexBells(m): 10:44pm On Oct 15, 2022
Landlord97:
Maybe the ones which were recorded are these but all true Igbos outside the useless Nigeria incentives are passionate and love igboland and it's plight
I know it a lot of emotions especially given what everyone has gone through but since Nigeria is a country of over 200 million people and billions of non human lives, with trillions of objects, you need to be specific on what in particular is useless therein
Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by AlexBells(m): 10:46pm On Oct 15, 2022
Emperormartin:
Yoruba slaves are representing in Brazil. Most of badagry slaves were shipped to Brazil while slaves from bight of Biafra were shipped to Jamaica, the US and other Caribbean countries
That makes sense, however is there a renowned Yoruba slave even in Brasil and I think I heard once a cult or church stuff like that build around the Yoruba culture, is it about post slavery migration or due to slavery

1 Like

Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by RedboneSmith(m): 8:07am On Oct 16, 2022
This is a weird post.
You haven't heard of:

1. Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther
2. Reverend Samuel Johnson, the descendant of ex-captives, who wrote the incomparable 'History of the Yorubas'
3. Frederick Haastrup who later became the Owa of Ilesa
4. The multimillionaires Candido da Rocha and
5. Deinde Fernandez who are descendants of Yorùba slaves who returned from Brazil
6. Pacifico Licutan, who was part of the Male slave rebellion in Brazil
7. Carlota Lucumi, who led a slave rebellion in Cuba
8. Osifekunde of Ijebu
9. Candido da Fonseca Galvao

The list long. Most of the Yorubas of Lagos with English or Portuguese last names are descendants of slaves who returned, and they were some of the earliest educated professionals that Nigeria produced, including the grandfather of Nigerian nationalism, Herbert Macaulay
Re: Why Are Igbo Slaves More Passionate About Alaigbo? Is It So With Other Tribes by AlexBells(m): 8:30am On Oct 16, 2022
RedboneSmith:
This is a weird post.
You haven't heard of:

1. Bishop Samuel Ajayi Crowther
2. Reverend Samuel Johnson, the descendant of ex-captives, who wrote the incomparable 'History of the Yorubas'
3. Frederick Haastrup who later became the Owa of Ilesa
4. The multimillionaires Candido da Rocha and
5. Deinde Fernandez who are descendants of Yorùba slaves who returned from Brazil
6. Pacifico Licutan, who was part of the Male slave rebellion in Brazil
7. Carlota Lucumi, who led a slave rebellion in Cuba
8. Osifekunde of Ijebu
9. Candido da Fonseca Galvao

The list long. Most of the Yorubas of Lagos with English or Portuguese last names are descendants of slaves who returned, and they were some of the earliest educated professionals that Nigeria produced, including the grandfather of Nigerian nationalism, Herbert Macaulay
This is impressive, it great to learn that Macaulay was a slave decendant, I think he's the closest among the rest and again Ajayi crowder, I used to think those two were regular Yorubas are Yoruba slaves as passionate as Their Igbo counterparts regarding their homeland, I know about Macaulay, he was a pan Nigerian, well it was the demand of the era, crowder too was a pan African.

(1) (Reply)

Ooni Empowers 300 Fashion Designer In Ile-ife, Environs / Auction/sales Of Laptop,blackberry,jeep,truck,vans Etc By 9th And 10th Sep. 2011 / Teach Me How To Dance

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.