Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,904 members, 7,814,061 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 04:52 AM

Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death (16124 Views)

Ex-lagos Deputy Gov Blames Nigeria’s Problems On God’s Anger, Corruption / Osita Chidoka: Atiku's Likely Running Mate. / Atiku, Osita Chidoka, Oyedepo, Kukah, Sheik Gumi Inside Atiku's Jet (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Omicronvaccine: 9:11am On Oct 16, 2022
"Our Institutions Are Weak" - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-law's Death

Former Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, has taken to his Facebook to mourn his brother-in-law who died on Saturday, October 15, 2022, IGBERETV reports.

Chidoka revealed that his brother-in-law had visited the Federal Medical Center in Jabi on Friday, October 14, to complain of chest pain, but was allegedly asked to return on Saturday, October 15 because the lab technicians who were to carry out a test on him had closed for the day. Unfortunately, he suffered a cardiac arrest the next day and was rushed to the same hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

According to Chidoka, weak health institution in Nigeria led to his brother-in-law's death.

His post read;

"Yesterday, I wrote about the inevitability of death as we approach the fifth decade conscious of the fact that the life expectancy of a Nigerian is 54 years.

Today death visited. My brother-in-law Apost Paul Egbon husband of my only sister Ada Chidoka Egbon died at age 56.

Yesterday, he was at the Federal Medical Centre Jabi with a complaint of chest pain. The Doctor who saw him prescribed painkillers and recommended ECG and other tests. At the Lab, they said it was late in the day and asked them to come back today Saturday. He walked to the car and they drove home. Allowing him to go home was a questionable decision.

I couldn't help but recall, when as a grad student, I walked into Arlington, VA General Hospital with a chest pain complaint. They brought a stretcher immediately and took me to emergency. They ran all the tests and held me fastened to the bed until all the results came and they concluded it was a chest muscle pain.

Early hours of this morning about 5 am he suffered, what we suspect, to be a cardiac arrest. My sister rushed him to the same federal Medical Centre Jabi. A doctor came out saw him in the car and pronounced him dead. They gave her a form and told her to take him to the mortuary. Yes, you read right. They told a grieving woman, who was told without any preparation, to take her dead husband to the morgue.

They did not remove the corpse from the car. Apparently, there is no protocol to receive a patient brought in dead. She was in the car with her dead husband when my Uncle, a medical doctor, arrived. I arrived shortly after. She was in the car crying holding her husband in the car park of the hospital. A hospital they have used for years.

We struggled to get her out of the car before we moved the corpse to the morgue. The hospital did not receive the body formally. No attempt at separating a wife from a corpse. No official record of the review that pronounced him dead. They did not counsel her or even empathise with her. It was not a medical failure; wrong diagnosis or lack of treatment. It was a process and cultural failure. Something has gone wrong with our humanity and sense of empathy as a people.

I advise, go for regular medical checkups. Have a primary health physician who knows you personally and has your history. Your primary physician is likely to be the difference between life and death. Our institutions are weak and our public servants are neither public-minded nor interested in service.

Together with the departed, we pray for God's mercy and love upon us all. Amen.

Osita Chidoka
October 2022"

https://www.facebook.com/241803612521286/posts/pfbid02E96jVazNsE7UHqCpZBZpbgdCHHQsEt5drjB6HWtqvavKKz8mPk4F16v3gXcDRUwil/

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by meetme01: 9:17am On Oct 16, 2022
Everything is wrong in Nigeria. May we not be a victim.

The first respondent to an emergency is a social worker and not a doctor.

The social worker will ensure the victim is brought of the car. During this process, the social worker envisage death so, he or she would have separated the husband and wife. The doctor or nurse will start their job in the emergency ward. The social worker will come back to speak with the family and give them hope that, there family member will be okay

Even when death is pronounced, the social and the doctor will sit with family to break the news in a passionate and soothing way.

Thanks to UCH field experience.

The few social workers are already leaving because their is no law to guide the profession. Govt don't even understand their jobs.
The few universities don't have lecturers for them
In a same clime, registration of social workers is very tedious.

Nigerians, we are getting worse everyday

88 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Okoroawusa: 9:22am On Oct 16, 2022
From being a special assistant to Ojo Maduekwe to being FRSC boss to being on boards of other federal institutions at one point or the other, it's now that you just realized that we have weak institutions?

We are all responsible for Nigeria of today from leaders to followers

133 Likes 13 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by limeta(f): 9:31am On Oct 16, 2022
Oh dear oh dear
One by one Nigeria will happen to you all politicians

21 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Macphenson: 2:26pm On Oct 16, 2022
Thats why we all need Peter Obi to come and clear all the mess in our various institution, not just the health sector.

33 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by fenrilh: 6:28am On Oct 17, 2022
But Osita how did you contribute to help our institutions when you served? Is easy to trade blames

32 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Nobody: 6:28am On Oct 17, 2022
Sad!
Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by AsomArchitectNG(m): 6:28am On Oct 17, 2022
Oh this one is just realizing....

See our live thread for our ongoing building construction project of a 3-bedroom bungalow in Oron, Akwa Ibom... Link in my signature

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Godada(m): 6:29am On Oct 17, 2022

The worst places to be for medical treatment is the federal medical centers. These people are devoid of empathy. They seem to be trained to be extremely wicked and callous.

16 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Honestfrend: 6:29am On Oct 17, 2022
Is our president not weak.. And some animals are doing everything possible to impose another weakling on us again.

Anybody doing everything possible to bring in an old sick man as president will never know peace.

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Okoyeebo: 6:30am On Oct 17, 2022
Macphenson:
Thats why we all need Peter Obi to come and clear all the mess in our various institution, not just the health sector.

It is either you are ignorant or mischievous.
Under Peter Obi, doctors were on strike for more than a year.

79 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by BluntCrazeMan: 6:30am On Oct 17, 2022
Heyaaaaa..
Sorry
Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by phemmie06(m): 6:30am On Oct 17, 2022
It will always remain weak until we stand against it by subjecting all our political leaders either by election or appointment to use public facilities or infrastructure which they provide for us, same should be applicable to the staff of those institutions

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by bennybuhari: 6:31am On Oct 17, 2022
Is he not part of the failure? What did Osita do to better the country when he was Minister

9 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Okoyeebo: 6:31am On Oct 17, 2022
Okoroawusa:
From being a special assistant to Ojo Maduekwe to being FRSC boss to being on boards of other federal institutions at one point or the other, it's now that you just realized that we have weak institutions?

We are all responsible for Nigeria of today from leaders to followers

That guy is an idiot. This guy was once Minister of Aviation, what did he achieve?
Last time I checked, he was Kanu's driver.

73 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by anonimi: 6:31am On Oct 17, 2022
Omicronvaccine:
"Our Institutions Are Weak" - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-law's Death

Former Minister of Aviation, Osita Chidoka, has taken to his Facebook to mourn his brother-in-law who died on Saturday, October 15, 2022, IGBERETV reports.

Talk is cheap, but blame is cheaper than talk.
What did Osita do to strengthen our institutions all these years that he has been in the corridors of power?
What did he do

16 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by zoedew: 6:32am On Oct 17, 2022
How so thoroughly shameless this man is! He was in government as a member of FEC!! He just ate of the fruit he planted.

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by VeeVeeMyLuv(m): 6:32am On Oct 17, 2022
With all these problems the former DG has outlined that eventually claimed the life of his in-law,

If you are still supporting any of these political party or our politicians, your BRAIN don SOUR, e don BAJE.

5 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by babaRUNtinz(m): 6:32am On Oct 17, 2022
You just dey know?

5 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by saferoom: 6:33am On Oct 17, 2022
Ok
Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by phemmie06(m): 6:34am On Oct 17, 2022
grin
bennybuhari:
Is he not part of the failure? What did Osita do to better the country when he was Minister

1 Like

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Princedapace(m): 6:34am On Oct 17, 2022
You all are wasting your time. Nigeria can not work until we fix the core structure.
Very soon, people will hardly live pass 35 in Nigeria.
Our health care system is wack. Complete wack.
Health care is the core reason I will leave Nigeria abeg.

8 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Mrkumareze(m): 6:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Breakfast served . Turn by turn

3 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Tonymegabush1(m): 6:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Who will bail the car. This is just an tip of the iceberg, the knowledge that I will visit any government agency/establishment alone gives me bumps, very unfriendly fellows.

The issue in Nigeria is not and can never be solved by the president alone, we built and continue building on a very corrupt foundation.

RIP to the dead...

6 Likes

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by anonimi: 6:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Okoyeebo:
It is either you are ignorant or mischievous.
Under Peter Obi, doctors were on strike for more than a year.

He must be super ignorant and hoping that we are all equally ignorant to buy their rotten Peter Obi package as we bought Tinubu's packaging of Buhari in 2015.
Na so we mumu reach

anonimi:
Anambra doctors call off strike after 13 months
February 28, 2012

After over a year of down tools, Anambra State Government employed medical doctors have finally called of strike.
According to Dr. Emma Ekwesianya, Chairman Anambra State chapter of Nigeria Medical Association (NMA), the striking doctors decided to pick up tools again because of the plight of the ordinary people in the societ.
“It is true, we have called off the strike. We have just signed the agreement with government about an hour ago. The Secretary to the State Government (SSG) signed for the government. A technical committee, headed by Prof. O.O. Mbonu was set up to execute the agreement.” He confirmed.

“We decided to take the 60 per cent offered by government because of our people. Government has been rigid and we do not want to continue with the rigidity of government. We are serving the people, not government and our people are suffering.”
Speaking further, Ekwesianya, revealed that a technical committee, headed by Prof. O.O. Mbonu had also been set up by the association to see to the implementation of the agreement with government sequel to the signing of the Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the Peter Obi-led government on Monday.

Chief Medical Director, Anambra State University Teaching Hospital (ASUTH), Amaku, Awka, Dr. Lawrence Ikeakor also confirmed the new development: “Well I’m happy to tell you that the strike has been amicably resolved, even though, like you said, it’s been a prolonged one but suffice it to say that it has been resolved and the doctors have resumed work.”
“The call off was yesterday (Sunday). The doctors had some negotiations and held their congress yesterday, during which they agreed to call off the strike. So they resumed duty today.
They are in their clinic. Well, I was not privy to the agreement but I will say that our representatives were satisfied with the arrangement, hence they decided to call off the strike.” He disclosed.

https://dailypost.ng/2012/02/28/anambra-doctors-call-off-strike-after-13-months/

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by Guyman01: 6:35am On Oct 17, 2022
Took my late dad to a General hospital in Abuja it took a lot of time for him to be attended to in the emergency unit, when we complained they told us we can take him to another hospital in a non charlant manner, then he was pronounced dead and just like above we were immediately asked to take him to the mogue and pay the fees, no show of empathy for a grieving family trying to come to terms with has just happened, the country is messed up.

Just pray you don't find yourself in an emergency situation to be rushed to the hospital, that's why we lose so many accident victims, my uncle was involved in a car accident and was begging them to attend to him but he was told they needed police report that year before commencing treatment, before our family members information about what happened and got there, he had already lost so much blood and he died, this happened in Edo state.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by phemmie06(m): 6:36am On Oct 17, 2022
You remind me of a particular man who was chairman caretaker committee for Ifo local government in the era of Gbenga Daniel. He did nothing in his area of residence, the ditch in front of his and his street no be moi moi.
When leaders fix problem they are not helping us (citizens) but preparing themselves for the unknown future
anonimi:

Blame is cheaper than talk.
What did Osita do to strengthen our institutions all these years that he has been in the corridors of power?
What did he do

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Our Institutions Are Weak - Osita Chidoka Blames Nigeria Over His In-Law's Death by anonimi: 6:36am On Oct 17, 2022
zoedew:
How so thoroughly shameless this man is! He was in government as a member of FEC!! He just ate of the fruit he planted.

Very true, but will he now do better with his vantage position in our country

6 Likes 2 Shares

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

NLC Slams TUC For Pulling Out Of Strike / 3,032 Pardoned Soldiers Reject Redeployment To N-east To Fight Boko Haram / 2023 Nigeria Election: Tinubu To Succeed Buhari - Lagos monarchs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.