Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,696 members, 7,816,837 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:31 PM

Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) (3163 Views)

43 Embarrassing Grammar Mistakes Even Smart People Make / The Saddest Truth About Smart People / List Of Universities In Nigeria That Offer Admission Without JAMB True or False? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by aboyaji(m): 5:57pm On Oct 17, 2022
It's because they realize early in life that being too smart becomes a social obstacle so they downplay their intelligence to fit in. Gifted children are known to struggle socially in their teens due to this.

Smart people will often develop a habit of picking their battles because if they contribute to every conversation outshining everyone else with their intelligence, they are quickly seen as uppity and a know it all. For many smart people, it's hard to say anything at all without coming off as reminding everyone else of the disparity in intelligence. I believe there's some research that does show that being mentally superior is a social liability in a way that being physically superior is not. In other words, it's easier to be an athlete around non-athletes than it is to be a brainiac around non-brainiacs. Someone being too intelligent is instinctually felt as intimidating and stuck up.

For some smart people, they can't really hide their intelligence very well. It's built into how they speak. The way they structure their sentences. The cadence they use. Their vocabulary. In those cases, a smart person might choose to listen more and talk less so their intelligence is not dominating the social circle. So their intelligence isn't an elephant in the room.

Source: Quora

23 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by jazon(m): 5:58pm On Oct 17, 2022
aboyaji:
It's because they realize early in life that being too smart becomes a social obstacle so they downplay their intelligence to fit in. Gifted children are known to struggle socially in their teens due to this.

Smart people will often develop a habit of picking their battles because if they contribute to every conversation outshining everyone else with their intelligence, they are quickly seen as uppity and a know it all. For many smart people, it's hard to say anything at all without coming off as reminding everyone else of the disparity in intelligence. I believe there's some research that does show that being mentally superior is a social liability in a way that being physically superior is not. In other words, it's easier to be an athlete around non-athletes than it is to be a brainiac around non-brainiacs. Someone being too intelligent is instinctually felt as intimidating and stuck up.

For some smart people, they can't really hide their intelligence very well. It's built into how they speak. The way they structure their sentences. The cadence they use. Their vocabulary. In those cases, a smart person might choose to listen more and talk less so their intelligence is not dominating the social circle. So their intelligence isn't an elephant in the room.

Not all smart people. But I'm quiet sha
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by aboyaji(m): 6:00pm On Oct 17, 2022
Even the bible said: A fool is considered wise when he keeps his lips closed.

14 Likes

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Franzinni: 6:04pm On Oct 17, 2022
And intelligent people make NPCs uncomfortable and so it's better to just study them ... I love to study people and have realized people are generic even down to thier thought patterns it's all a part of a waveform.

Everything in existence can only exist in waveform including your thoughts, emotion and all.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Tinububalls: 6:26pm On Oct 17, 2022
Is speaking good English one of the characteristics of being smart?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by VeryWickedMan: 6:31pm On Oct 17, 2022
I must be very stupid then.

5 Likes

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by SocialJustice: 6:41pm On Oct 17, 2022
Tinububalls:
Is speaking good English one of the characteristics of been smart?
In today's Nigeria it is. Many people can't hold a conversation in English. Or if you pronounce your words clearly. I go into shops to buy things and sometimes I get carried away, people who can't see me from where they are, stretch to see who is talking. It can be very awkward and I'm speaking pidgin, difference is I'm pronouncing my words clearly.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by RepoMan007: 6:51pm On Oct 17, 2022
They are processing what a lousy fella is busy assuming.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Tinububalls: 7:03pm On Oct 17, 2022
SocialJustice:
In today's Nigeria it is. Many people can't hold a conversation in English. Or if you pronounce your words clearly. I go into shops to buy things and sometimes I get carried away, people who can't see me from where they are, stretch to see who is talking. It can be very awkward and I'm speaking pidgin, difference is I'm pronouncing my words clearly.
That's not smartness. I do speak Igbo with rap and elders gather to listen, am I smart or good at speaking Igbo or an igbotic he goat?

I have seen people that speak Queens English, but they are too dull mentally.

12 Likes

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Puremind1225: 8:02pm On Oct 17, 2022
Tinububalls:
How you construct your sentence and the words you use has to do with intelligence

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Streett: 8:11pm On Oct 17, 2022
Seen couple extreme quiet but overly Dumb people when they Speak or make certain decisions!

Not all “quiet” is Smart 
. Not all “Smart” is Quiet ..!

All of us mumu & smart differently

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by SocialJustice: 8:25pm On Oct 17, 2022
Tinububalls:

That's not smartness. I do speak Igbo with rap and elders gather to listen, am I smart or good at speaking Igbo or an igbotic he goat?

I have seen people that speak Queens English, but they are too dull mentally.
Lol, true. I can speak for only myself.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Nnaemiemax: 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2022
Tinububalls:

Absolutely no.
But don't Jones around detonating bombs here and there grin

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Rexymania(m): 8:36pm On Oct 17, 2022
Does it mean introvert are smarter?
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Tinububalls: 8:53pm On Oct 17, 2022
Puremind1225:

How you construct your sentence and the words you use has to do with intelligence
Intelligence yeah but smartness, I doubt.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by iHateFraudsters: 8:58pm On Oct 17, 2022
Nnaemiemax:

Absolutely no.
But don't Jones around detonating bombs here and there grin

grin

E better say you warm am early o

grin
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by darichlife: 9:34pm On Oct 17, 2022
It's because speech is silver and silence is golden, and empty vessels makes the loudest of noises
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Nobody: 10:41pm On Oct 17, 2022
I'm talkative and I'm very smart. Even people call me Albert Einstein. Some people will look at me from toe to up they will envy me like, which kind of brain did God give this guy. So been smart is not about being quiet or talkative. You will see from the way I'm typing that I'm very smart and intelligent. Many old men always come to me for advice you know when you are smart, people will be looking for you to give them advice.
I could remember I have one guy that I adviced, the guy is now a millionaire. Right now I'm thinking of charging money for giving people advice.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Nobody: 10:46pm On Oct 17, 2022
Rexymania:
Does it mean introvert are smarter?

It is a lie.
Look at people like
Trump
Burna boy
Cardi b
Will Smith
Me
Tinubu
Buhari. They are not introvert and they are very smart
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by faceland: 10:47pm On Oct 17, 2022
aboyaji:

There was a brief time I was serous in secondary school. One day, I discover that by alway answering the teacher's questions in math class, my classmates were falling behind (couldn't catch up). So I stopped answering questions.

The first day I refused to answer question, my math teacher (who saw me as a favorite) was so upset that he even beat me for claiming I didn't know the answer (frustration), he also realised that a lot of student in the class have fallen behind as he bombarded us with homework/assignments (he started giving us 15 to 20 problems to solve at home after every class... you could hear the whole class 'lamenting').

1 Like

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by faceland: 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2022
Borntosmoke:

It is a lie.
Look at people like
Trump
Burna boy
Cardi b
Will Smith
Me
Tinubu

Social skills itself is a form of intelligence. I personally don't trust comedians because the gifted ones can easily manipulate people and have lots of friends (they also know how to 'wash' people or flatter them and also crush/roast them). On the other hand, wisdom comes from solitude and reflection. I do believe some of the smarted people that ever lived, had a gentle spirit. That doesn't mean even half of introverts are smart because it all depends on what they are doing in their 'safe space' (they might be watching Big Brother Naija with their spare time) grin.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by Peritome: 11:00pm On Oct 17, 2022
Yes, I noticed that about myself. I'm too quiet.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by aboyaji(m): 11:49pm On Oct 17, 2022
faceland:

There was a brief time I was serous in secondary school. One day, I discover that by alway answering the teacher's questions in math class, my classmates were falling behind (couldn't catch up). So I stopped answering questions.

The first day I refused to answer question, my math teacher (who saw me as a favorite) was so upset that he even beat me for claiming I didn't know the answer (frustration), he also realised that a lot of student in the class have fallen behind as he bombarded us with homework/assignments (he started giving us 15 to 20 problems to solve at home after every class... you could hear the whole class 'lamenting').

You're a perfect example of Smartness

1 Like

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by aboyaji(m): 11:51pm On Oct 17, 2022
faceland:

Social skills itself is a form of intelligence. I personally don't trust comedians because the gifted ones can easily manipulate people and have lots of friends (the also know how to 'wash' people or flatter them and also crush/roast them). On the other hand, wisdom comes from solitude and reflection. I do believe some of the smarted people that ever lived, had a gentle spirit. That doesn't mean even half of introverts are smart because it all depends on what they are doing in their 'safe space' (they might be watching Big Brother Naija with their spare time) grin.
. grin
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by aboyaji(m): 11:52pm On Oct 17, 2022
Borntosmoke:

It is a lie.
Look at people like
Trump
Burna boy
Cardi b
Will Smith
Me
Tinubu
Buhari
. They are not introvert and they are very smart

shocked
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by techWriter3: 12:26am On Oct 18, 2022
Even the bible explained A slowpoke is considered wise when he keeps his lips closed

1 Like

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by PrinxArthur1(m): 1:51am On Oct 18, 2022
aboyaji:

does el on musk look quiet to you ?
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by PrinxArthur1(m): 1:51am On Oct 18, 2022
aboyaji:

does elon musk look quiet to you ?
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by LOLITAinLAGOS(f): 3:17am On Oct 18, 2022
I'm smart and quiet ... And it's because I find everyone else too stupid to make conversation with.
Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by akwesenana: 4:11am On Oct 18, 2022
I once went to watch a match and people were saying that Harry Maguire is better than Wesley Fofana because Fofana doesn't get called up for "England national team". Like half of the store were embroiled in this argument.

When I pointed out (normally I dey mind my business for public) that Fofana is actually French, everyone was staring at me like "who be this one"?

I've never been so embarrassed.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Smart People Tend To Be Quiet? (True or false) by akwesenana: 4:12am On Oct 18, 2022
Borntosmoke:
I'm talkative and I'm very smart. Even people call me Albert Einstein. Some people will look at me from toe to up they will envy me like, which kind of brain did God give this guy. So been smart is not about being quiet or talkative. You will see from the way I'm typing that I'm very smart and intelligent. Many old men always come to me for advice you know when you are smart, people will be looking for you to give them advice.
I could remember I have one guy that I adviced, the guy is now a millionaire. Right now I'm thinking of charging money for giving people advice.
Borntosmoke:

It is a lie.
Look at people like
Trump
Burna boy
Cardi b
Will Smith
Me
Tinubu
Borntosmoke:
Coming from someone who said Elanga is the next Wayne Rooney. grintongue(no offiensce)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Why Is James Looking Like Sam Loco’ – Funny Reactions Trail James Brown’s Outfit / Unrefined Shea Butter, Coconut Oil, Bee Honey 4 Sale: 08139458588 / Guys I Saw This And I Think It Would Really Help Our Graduates Travel Outside

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.