Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,153 members, 7,842,315 topics. Date: Tuesday, 28 May 2024 at 05:58 AM

Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi (572 Views)

Peter Obi's Media Team, Labour Party Clash Over 'visit' To Julius Abure / Buhari’s Ministers Divided Over Cancellation Of NIN Registration / APC Crisis: Governors Divided Over Next Party Chair (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Speedition: 4:13am On Oct 18, 2022
Some supporters of the presidential candidate of the Labour Party (LP), Peter Obi, have expressed mixed reactions over his visit to a controversial Islamic cleric, Ahmad Gumi.

Mr Obi and his running mate, Yusuf Baba-Ahmed, in a tweet posted on his Twitter, on Monday, paid a courtesy visit to the cleric at his residence in Kaduna State.

“Dr Datti Baba-Ahmed and I stopped by for a courtesy call on Sheikh Gumi at his official residence in Kaduna,” Mr Obi said in the tweet.

While the visit by the LP candidate, largely popular among Nigerian youth, may be seen as a mere political move ahead of the general polls, some of his supporters have, however, said they will withdraw their support for him.

As of the time of filing this report, the tweet had garnered thousands of comments, likes and retweets from his critics as well as supporters who felt betrayed by the visit.

With the spread of terrorism and banditry in the country, the Kaduna-based Islamic scholar has been under fire over his comments which have been interpreted in some quarters to be in support of terrorists and bandits

In a post, Ogwuefe Bunkoye questioned Mr Obi’s latest action and vowed not to vote for him in the coming election.

“Honest question Peter, do you feel happy that politics has turned you into this? Because, I’m no longer voting for you,” he said.

Nkem #PeterObi2023, cautioned the LP candidate against the urge to visit everyone under the guise of invitation. He described the cleric in question as a known ethnic bigot.
Omotayo Fakinlede

“Peter Obi, this bridge you are building, I hope it won’t connect with Buhari’s own at some point. Cause I don’t understand anymore,” another supporter, Fakoyejo Olalekan, asked.

Some supporters have, however, argued in defence of Mr Obi and his running mate.

Some said the LP candidate has made them more proud through his visit to Mr Gumi, since he remains an influential figure in the Northern region.

“This is what we call “Building bridges”. Gumi is also a Nigerian. No court has convicted him. Let’s build bridges. Even APC-dominated areas and difficult-to-reach areas will be reached,” @Morris_Monye noted.

Musa Dawa said, “this #Obidient team is a unifying team, with No discrimination, No Permanent Enemy but Permanent National Interest.”

“He went to Dunamis, Redemption Camp, etc and they said to visit the Northern clerics and Traditional Rulers. He has stopped by to meet with Gumi and now they are crying.

Is Gumi a Criminal?

Is Gumi not a Nigerian?

Are there people that follow him?” another Twitter user, Udemba Esq asked.

Although other leading candidates have continued to underrate the possible influence of Mr Obi, the LP candidate has remained one of the most discussed candidates by the youth on Twitter.

SOURCE: https://www.premiumtimesng.com/news/top-news/560114-peter-obis-supporters-divided-over-visit-to-islamic-cleric-gumi.html

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by SmartPolician: 4:42am On Oct 18, 2022
Even if it means visiting a madman to win this election, that's very okay. Who Peter Obi visits won't determine what he does when he takes over the office of the president.

If you check how Peter Obi governed Anambra State, you will understand that this man is intelligent and will do an intimidating job as the president of Nigeria.

Right-thinking Nigerians, we must not fail to vote for this man in 2023. We, for once, deserve better in this country because our old oppressors have really dealt with us.

4 Likes

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Bontafa: 4:44am On Oct 18, 2022
Peter Gregory obi the master strategist

Bam you !!!!!

Thier father leaking yansh

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Lanretoye(m): 4:45am On Oct 18, 2022
Maybe he wants to negotiate with bandits so he can get votes in the forests too,since the population in the forest Is non-estimated...gumi of all people,of what political value is he self?.
SmartPolician:
Even if it means visiting a madman to win this election, that's very okay. Who Peter Obi visits won't determine what he does when he takes over the office of the president.

If you check how Peter Obi governed Anambra State, you will understand that this man is intelligent and will do an intimidating job as the president of Nigeria.

Right-thinking Nigerians, we must not fail to vote for this man in 2023. We, for once, deserve better in this country because our old oppressors have really dealt with us.
the way he governed anambra state,you would have preferred to reside there.

2 Likes

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Bontafa: 4:48am On Oct 18, 2022
Lanretoye:
Maybe he wants to negotiate with bandits so he can get votes in the forests too,since the population in the forest Is non-estimated...gumi of all people,of what political value is he self?.

Aboy

E ne dey cry well.

I want make you cry wella .

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by hisgrace090: 6:05am On Oct 18, 2022
I see nothing wrong with obi going to advice gummi to be of good behaviour for the good of all Nigerians.

Obi have started work for the good of all.
Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Urheadmaster(m): 6:16am On Oct 18, 2022
hisgrace090:
I see nothing wrong with obi going to advice gummi to be of good behaviour for the good of all Nigerians.

Obi have started work for the good of all.

Real supporters of Obi are not bothered in any way.

Is only those with double mind that are troubling themselves tongue undecided
Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by successmatters(m): 6:17am On Oct 18, 2022
If any Nigerian think I will force him or her to vote Peter Obi, you must be joking..

Vote your preferred candidate then face the consequences ..
You have heard Obi speak
You have also heard Tinubu and Atiku speak..

You know the right candidate but will ethnicity and religion allow you to see clearly ?
Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Throwback: 6:20am On Oct 18, 2022
successmatters:
If any Nigerian think I will force him or her to vote Peter Obi, you must be joking..

Vote your preferred candidate then face the consequences ..
You have heard Obi speak
You have also heard Tinubu and Atiku speak..

You know the right candidate but will ethnicity and religion allow you to see clearly ?

You mean the consequences faced by Anambrarians when Obi was Governor?

Even the zombiedient called Owobokiri follow lament bitterly that time, until clannish support for the Igbo candidate overcame his better judgement.

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by successmatters(m): 6:21am On Oct 18, 2022
Throwback:

You mean the consequences faced by Anambrarians when Obi was Governor?

Even the zombiedient called Owobokiri follow lament bitterly that time, until clannish support for the Igbo candidate overcame his better judgement.

I know you know the truth, ethnicity and religion has caused you glaucoma.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Throwback: 6:24am On Oct 18, 2022
successmatters:

I know you know the truth, ethnicity and religion has caused you glaucoma.

Yes I know the truth and I know what ethnicity and religion did to change the mind of many Igbos who support a failure.

They called him a wicked and visionless corrupt man.

An underachiever.

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by successmatters(m): 6:29am On Oct 18, 2022
Throwback:

Yes I know the truth and I know what ethnicity and religion did to change the mind of many Igbos who support a failure.

They called him a wicked and visionless corrupt man.

An underachiever.

We also know the truth, and we are going to vote for Peter Obi with confidence.

We cannot vote for a push and start Emilokan when the journey will be as far as from Katsina state, through the desert to Morocco.

1 Like

Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by Throwback: 6:32am On Oct 18, 2022
successmatters:

We also know the truth, and we are going to vote for Peter Obi with confidence.

We cannot vote for a push and start Emilokan when the journey will be as far as from Katsina state, through the desert to Morocco.

Oh I now see why Obi dey meet Sheikh Gumi.

Na to get directions from Katsina to Morroco through the Sahara dessert.

No worry, Sheikh Gumi go show am the way and mount Obi on his Camel.

By the time Obi miss road as confirmed Olodo, enter Libya to link Italy, Tinubu go don rule Nigeria for 8yrs, hand over to Zulum.
Re: Peter Obi’s Supporters Divided Over Visit To Islamic Cleric, Gumi by successmatters(m): 6:38am On Oct 18, 2022
Throwback:

Oh I now see why Obi dey meet Sheikh Gumi.

Na to get directions from Katsina to Morroco through the Sahara dessert.

No worry, Sheikh Gumi go show am the way and mount Obi on his Camel.

By the time Obi miss road as confirmed Olodo, enter Libya to link Italy, Tinubu go don rule Nigeria for 8yrs, hand over to Zulum.

Expecting Tinubu supporters to understand a simple sentence is giving them too much credit, a person who can support a sick, demented, old hag is already gone.

(1) (Reply)

BREAKING: Return Kanu To Kenya, Court Orders FG / If BVAS Works, Buhari Is Going To Forever Remain A Hero. / Christians Should Not Vote For Anyone Who Is Not A Christian

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.