Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,521 members, 7,826,959 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 12:59 AM

Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. - Webmasters - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Webmasters / Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. (2749 Views)

Were You Affected By Google Penguin 2.1 Update On October 4? / Webpage Maker V 3.2 / Yookos Version 2.1 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by hostsleek(m): 2:05pm On Aug 18, 2011
[size=13pt]Bad news for just about every WordPress blogger out there. Thousands of WordPress 3.2.1 installations are at risk of being compromised. It has been found that the latest version 3.2.1 of WordPress, an extremely popular suite of tools for powering blogs, is vulnerable to XSS injection attack which allows users to inject malicious JavaScript as a result of failure in sanitizing the comments field.

Thousands of WordPress Website are being ha-cked everyday.

http://www.hungry-hackers.com/2011/08/xss-injection-vulnerability-in-wordpress-321.html[/size]
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 2:11pm On Aug 18, 2011
I guess you should read deeper to see another post

http://www.hungry-hackers.com/2011/08/false-alarm-xss-vulnerability-in-wordpress-321.html

Now summarize for us please.
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by hostsleek(m): 2:16pm On Aug 18, 2011
I have got lots of complain from people that did upgrade from last week to yesterday.

http://discussion.dreamhost.com/thread-130607.html

Another Thread
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 2:20pm On Aug 18, 2011
And what's their complains?

Did you run a vulnerability test to ascertain that it is vulnerable to XSS attacks?
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 2:38pm On Aug 18, 2011
I also hope you read this from the URL you pointed out as well.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Hardening_WordPress

You also should know what plugins you use and what codes make them up too. Get all these to safety and when they all fail you, you can raise an alarm else don't because further claims from many other posts all later posted safe again and I am yet to figure out why. I guess after you verification you might end up like them too.

Safe!
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 12:01am On Aug 19, 2011
@OmniPotens what are you saying, my website have been hacked twice now in less than 48 hours,
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 11:07am On Aug 19, 2011
Is your website running on WordPress? What plugins are you using and how secure too is your hosting server? What satisfies the fact that actually it was the framework that created the loop and not as a result of the running plugins or insecurity of your hosting server?
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 1:49pm On Aug 19, 2011
yes my website is running on wordpress and i think my hosting server is secure, i used some plugins and themes and i think that is how it got ha-cked,, although am running installation of the wordpress at fresh again and trying to do a better securing, like

# protect the htaccess file
<files .htaccess>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</files>

# disable the server signature
ServerSignature Off

# limit file uploads to 10mb
LimitRequestBody 10240000

# protect wpconfig.php
<files wp-config.php>
order allow,deny
deny from all
</files>

#who has access who doesnt
order allow,deny
#deny from 000.000.000.000
allow from all

#custom error docs
ErrorDocument 404 /notfound.php
ErrorDocument 403 /forbidden.php
ErrorDocument 500 /error.php

# disable directory browsing
Options All -Indexes

#redirect old to new
Redirect 301 /old.php http://www.yourblog.com/new.php

# remove category from link
RewriteRule ^category/(.+)$ http://www.yourblog.com/$1 [R=301,L]

#block referring domains
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} digg\.com [NC]
RewriteRule .* – [F]

#disable hotlinking of images with forbidden or custom image option
RewriteEngine on
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^$
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?yourblog.com/.*$ [NC]
#RewriteRule \.(gif|jpg)$ – [F]
#RewriteRule \.(gif|jpg)$ http://www.yourblog.com/stealingisbad.gif [R,L]

# php compression – use with caution
<ifmodule mod_php4.c>
php_value zlib.output_compression 16386
</ifmodule>

# set the canonical url
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^yourblog\.com$ [NC]
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ http://www.yourblog.com/$1 [R=301,L]

# protect from spam comments
RewriteEngine On
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_METHOD} POST
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} .wp-comments-post\.php*
RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !.*yourblog.com.* [OR]
RewriteCond %{HTTP_USER_AGENT} ^$
RewriteRule (.*) ^http://%{REMOTE_ADDR}/$ [R=301,L]

i hope this would hep??
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 7:10pm On Aug 19, 2011
I think you need to know from where your attack came from.

You also need to harden your WordPress installation too.

Know what plugins you are installing as well. There are even some plugins that will help you with most of these mod_rewrite or .htaccess configurations. Don't forget to check your file permissions too.

In summary, before you come out and acclaim something is not functional, first of all ensure that you took all necessary precautions to satisfy that errors are not from your end. I think what you should do is just to install only the WordPress framework then try hacking it. If you easily get that then you can alert us again. But after installing all your plugins and you hack and succeed then you can start figuring out where your problem is coming from. I will suggest you try to look into the make up codes of the plugins you are installing. Not the best to just auto install them without knowing what the codes look like.

I was thinking you were going to switch to either Joomla or Drupal but you are sticking back to WP, undecided

Safe!
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 9:47pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^^^ are you saying joomla and drupal are better?
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 12:16am On Aug 20, 2011
Not at all. Your choice. I was only drawing your attention to them in case you hated WordPress.
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 4:45am On Aug 22, 2011
wordpress looks lil cool, am trying to find more space to concentrate on it, thanks for your views
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 8:50am On Aug 22, 2011
they are at it again, these hackers wont let me rest,,, Omni-potens, dual-core, *dhtml, hostsleek
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 8:54am On Aug 22, 2011
please how do i get out from this mess,,, i tried alot but i think the hack is through the wp- direct
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 11:34am On Aug 22, 2011
What hack attempt was made and what do you think is their target? What plugins did you install? Are you using a theme that's nulled? Hope you checked they are not having any scripts attached which verifies domain names using their themes to see if they were genuinely purchased? You have to verify all these ok?

Why not still install only the WordPress framework and see if they'll hack it down too. That will give you an insight into what actually is happening
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 4:06pm On Aug 22, 2011
i installed some plugins like bulletproof security,antivirus, social connect, tweet and like, and one other SEO plugin, the script is nulled and when i use the default, it doesnt get hacked,,,
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by OmniPotens(m): 4:20pm On Aug 22, 2011
Now you can see that you never talked about anything nulled but I brought the issue up because I knew that was another avenue that hacking attempts could come from but in your case I have not said "it is where it came from." See if you can get on without the nulled thing to see if the attacks still come through.
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by WebSurfer(m): 11:35pm On Aug 22, 2011
yes am doing that niw, and waiting for like one week to see if that happens again
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by crossman9(m): 12:22am On Feb 06, 2012
(Yookos)

you own the cosmos

Meaning the universe

Which is has been re-interpolation into “You Own the World”
some computer have Gremlins in it, but (Yookos) has pastor Chris in it, who works for his father the Devil he over shadows his life?
“Social Net Working Tools Made for Cults”
WARNING ENTER IN AT YOUR OWN RISK

Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by greenmouse(m): 9:24am On Feb 06, 2012
bad news, hope this is not true oh
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by iGuru1(m): 9:51am On Feb 06, 2012
crossman9:

(Yookos)

you own the cosmos

Meaning the universe

Which is has been re-interpolation into “You Own the World”
some computer have Gremlins in it, but (Yookos) has pastor Chris in it, who works for his father the Devil he over shadows his life?
“Social Net Working Tools Made for Cults”
WARNING ENTER IN AT YOUR OWN RISK

How dear you post such crap!
Where do u belong.
Re: Wordpress 3.2.1 Is Not Secure So Do Not Upgrade. by crossman9(m): 1:52pm On Feb 06, 2012
Do you think I am promoting this church I am not I am pointing out what the abbreviation means Yokoos means  as the church teaches the earth is the lords and therefore fullness but is given it onto the sons of men
they don't own all things like they claim

(1) (Reply)

Google Dance Or Google Dancing? Is It Still Relevant Today? Learn.. / Etranzact Demo Webconnect Testing / MTN Offers Free Incoming Calls (get Yours Now)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.