Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,811 members, 7,813,670 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:01 PM

Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s - Music/Radio (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s (21265 Views)

FM Radio Presenters In Nigeria In the 1980s, '90s And Early 2000s / Juju Songs Of The 1970s, '80s and 1990s / Nigerian Funk And Pop Songs Of The 1970s, '80s and 1990s (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 8:23pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:
Peterside Ottong - Where Are The Prophets? (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQrD6nbkl-Q

Original video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrWCDQP79qs

This is my favorite
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Brendaniel: 8:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

Anyone here who is a propagandist for any politician, is a wicked man. Anyone here who supports any of the thieving and lying politicians, is a wicked man and will suffer the consequences. Say amen.

Anyone that tries to stop anybody from legitimately criticising any of our politicians is a wicked man and will suffer the consequences. Say amen.

I do not support any politician and I will criticise every politician, including the one you support and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

This is my last post to you.

This also goes to you VULCAN

I don't like to swear and since you have declared that you do not support any politician, let's call a truce and let God almighty be the one to judge if our political activities are been biased because of tribe or religion instead of competence, equity and justice.

I'm all out for competence, equity, justice and a better life in Nigeria and for Nigeria...
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by naptu2: 8:31pm On Oct 20, 2022
Brendaniel:

I don't like to swear and since you have declared that you do not support any politician, let's call a truce and let God almighty be the one to judge if what we are doing is because we are been biased because of tribe or religion instead of competence.

I'm all out for competence and a better life...

Mr man, I don't want to call any truce. Say amen to my prayer without any alteration. Is there anything for you to fear? If there's nothing to fear, then it shouldn't be hard to say amen.

It is very simple really.

naptu2:

Anyone here who is a propagandist for any politician, is a wicked man. Anyone here who supports any of the thieving and lying politicians, is a wicked man and will suffer the consequences. Say amen.

Anyone that tries to stop anybody from legitimately criticising any of our politicians is a wicked man and will suffer the consequences. Say amen.

I do not support any politician and I will criticise every politician, including the one you support and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it.

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 8:43pm On Oct 20, 2022
ShaqFu:
Nice. Waiting to see if Orits Wiliki's Tribulation and Ten Commandments will make this list.

The production of those two songs are veey good, neat, good sound and all. Infact, most Orits Wiliki's song has good production

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 8:47pm On Oct 20, 2022
9jaBloke:
I see some topics and immediately know that It could only be naptu2.

I've downloaded most of these songs

Evi's sound is ageless.

There is one Urhobo song I don't know if it is Evi that sang it. It goes like this

Sobonime eh eh sobonime eh eh sobonime eh eh sobonimeeeee sobonime eh sobonime soninime then something something like that. It's like saying, leave me alone repeatedly.

Oga naptu2 do you remember this Urhobo song?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by naptu2: 8:49pm On Oct 20, 2022
Intellectuall01:

There is one Urhobo song I don't know if it is Evi that sang it. It goes like this

Sobonime eh eh sobonime eh eh sobonime eh eh sobonimeeeee sobonime eh sobonime soninime then something something like that. It's like saying, leave me alone repeatedly.

Oga naptu do you remember this Urhobo song?

That's Veno Marioghe (who sang Nigeria Go Survive). The funny thing is that this afternoon I was regretting not adding it to my highlife thread.

I'll post the video here in a minute

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 8:50pm On Oct 20, 2022
HimName:
Oritz Wiliki

Tracks

Ambush
Ten commandments
Rain drops
Tribulation
Judgement day
Heart of stone
Religion is politics
Fight the fire.

You forget to add conqueror
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 8:51pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

That's Veno Marioghe (who sang Nigeria Go Survive). The funny thing is that this afternoon I was regretting not adding it to my highlife thread.

I'll post the video here in a minute

Ha, please hurry up and post it I've been looking for it.
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by naptu2: 8:51pm On Oct 20, 2022
Intellectuall01:

Oga naptu2 do you remember this Urhobo song?

Veno Marioghae - Siobo Nome (1989)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTW1Yq5BOOw

Original video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va3d1cMLoU0
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by yinksy0009: 8:52pm On Oct 20, 2022
Great music.

Would love to enjoy playing these music with my oraimo earbuds.

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Brendaniel: 8:58pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

Mr man, I don't want to call any truce. Say amen to my prayer without any alteration. Is there anything for you to fear? If there's nothing to fear, then it shouldn't be hard to say amen.

It is very simple really.

I don't believe in swearing, I will not go against my belief, I believe in God...
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 9:04pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

Original video

BOMB BLAST, thanks so much brother.
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by stancod(m): 9:05pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:
There was a reggae music boom in Nigeria in the 1980s and 1990s. It was used as one of the vehicles in the fight against military rule in Nigeria and apartheid in South Africa. These are some of the biggest Nigerian reggae songs of the 1980s and 1990s. You can add more.
Good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3gCYqVWYBM
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by naptu2: 9:07pm On Oct 20, 2022
Brendaniel:

I don't believe in swearing, I will not go against my belief, I believe in God...

Hahahahahaha.

But it was fine for you to go, "You are a wicked man" and all that nonsense. It was not against your belief?

This has gotten boring very quick. I'm not going to read anything you post again.
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 9:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
Richy4:
I didn't see my favorites..

<<AYA GA YA GA YA GA YO smiley.....

and the one that sounds like this
<<what a gwann in our this our country?

What a fi gwan na, what a fi gwan na. Man and woman can't get no food to eat oh.

The song is up there.
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Brendaniel: 9:13pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

Hahahahahaha.

But it was fine for you to go, "You are a wicked man" and all that nonsense. It was not against your belief?

This has gotten boring very quick. I'm not going to read anything you post again.

I wasn't swearing at you, I was just expressing what I felt....
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by scobaba: 9:27pm On Oct 20, 2022
Sometimes I dey see Naptu like young man of 40-50.
But the way the guy dey root out history

E fit be say na Baba be Naptu ooo. E fit don reach 80 grin

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Richy4(m): 9:28pm On Oct 20, 2022
Intellectuall01:

What a fi gwan na, what a fi gwan na. Man and woman can't get no food to eat oh.

The song is up there.
grin grin
Was that what u heard as a kid? cheesy
There was one that I can't remember the lyrics... If I sing what I heard those days as a kid, it might scatter the whole place..

Ok this was what I heard...
I Nati guilt are jiyala oh... U must to give them beer la... U must give a loco-loco beer la... Not to let him let him go away.. not to let him go away cheesy
That was Raskimono... And that song got unique dance steps grin
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 9:53pm On Oct 20, 2022
Richy4:

grin grin
Was that what u heard as a kid? cheesy
There was one that I can't remember the lyrics... If I sing what I heard those days as a kid, it might scatter the whole place..

Ok this was what I heard...
I Nati guilt are jiyala oh... U must to give them beer la... U must give a loco-loco beer la... Not to let him let him go away.. not to let him go away cheesy
That was Raskimono... And that song got unique dance steps grin

Na the real lyrics I sing for you nor be kid matter oh. The song you are talking about is called Natty Get Jail. See below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2t0MsIFVkc

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by FullBlastLight: 9:56pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:
There was a reggae music boom in Nigeria in the 1980s and 1990s. It was used as one of the vehicles in the fight against military rule in Nigeria and apartheid in South Africa. These are some of the biggest Nigerian reggae songs of the 1980s and 1990s. You can add more.

Abeg, find somewhere smuggle Africanchina 4 me nah!

-Crisis

-Mr President

-Etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3gCYqVWYBM
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by HeightsKE: 9:58pm On Oct 20, 2022
GudluckIBB:

You just took me back to Benin with memories right now
No place like he,bro.
Only that lands so costly now in Benin.
So love that place
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Richy4(m): 10:04pm On Oct 20, 2022
Intellectuall01:

Na the real lyrics I sing for you nor be kid matter oh. The song you are talking about is called Natty Get Jail. See below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G2t0MsIFVkc

Thank you.. that's the song.. for the life of me, it's as if I'm hearing the lyrics for the first time...
All the speaking in tongues in the name of singing that song as a kid... cheesy
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Nobody: 10:10pm On Oct 20, 2022
Richy4:

Thank you.. that's the song.. for the life of me, it's as if I'm hearing the lyrics for the first time...
All the speaking in tongues in the name of singing that song as a kid... cheesy

If I do my own old school songs throw back ehn, even naptu2 go shock. There are so many old songs that have not been posted here. Both Naija own and foreign.
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by robosky02(m): 10:17pm On Oct 20, 2022
naptu2:

I've always posted music threads and videos. Since 2011.

My Paddy your doing well
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by armyofone(m): 10:26pm On Oct 20, 2022
Naptu

I have heard my sis playing a song- it goes like

Wherever you see me come around me, everything gonna be alright now...repeat

Chorus is like -

Can I be a teacher - oh no
Can I be a music - oh yeah etc

Any idea ?
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Flyingngel(m): 11:35pm On Oct 20, 2022
Good song
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by TheOgaBoss: 12:18am On Oct 21, 2022
MyVILLAGEpeople:

There were those when songs had meanings. Not these nonsense they sing these days!
What is the meaning of baby walakolombo? By Alex zito
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by TheOgaBoss: 12:26am On Oct 21, 2022
naptu2:

Original video

Is His Raggae?
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Demzlent(m): 12:51am On Oct 21, 2022
There is this reggae group in the 80s, all in dreadlocks, they sang in their local language that time, I thought I will see some of their songs
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Demzlent(m): 12:56am On Oct 21, 2022
Re: Nigerian Reggae Music Of The 1980s And 1990s by Demzlent(m): 1:00am On Oct 21, 2022

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

After Olisa, Dan Foster Leaves 96.9 Cool Fm / Top 5 Most Selfless Nigeria Musicians By King0g / Davido - Skelewu (directed By Moe Musa)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.