Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,083 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:27 AM

U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss Announces Resignation 45 Days Into Premiership - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss Announces Resignation 45 Days Into Premiership (168 Views)

Homosexuality Rises In Nigeria Few Days Into Biden’s Presidency / Rotimi Jolayemi Released Released After 45 Days In Detention / FG Gives FAAN, NAMA, Others 45 Days To Relocate Headquarters To Abuja (2) (3) (4)

(1)

U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss Announces Resignation 45 Days Into Premiership by bn365: 2:06pm On Oct 20, 2022
British Prime Minister Liz Truss has announced her resignation just 45 days into her premiership, making her the shortest-serving prime minister in the nation's history.

Truss' resignation came one day after the Conservative Party leader vowed she was "a fighter and not a quitter," and amid an increasing chorus of voices calling on her to step down. Outside No.10 Downing on Thursday, she told the nation that she had spoken with King Charles III and notified him of her plans to leave.
Truss faced low approval ratings after the British government announced tax cuts that would largely favor the wealthy — an announcement that caused the value of the pound to plunge while borrowing costs spiked.

As the economy suffered, Truss' finance minister announced that the government would abandon the tax plan altogether, but some argued the Conservatives' power was abandoned with it.

"I came into office at a time of great economic and international instability. Families and businesses were worried about how to pay their bills. Putin's illegal war in Ukraine threatens the security of our whole continent and our country is being held back for too long by low economic growth," Truss said in her resignation speech.

"I was elected by the Conservative Party with a mandate to change this. We delivered on energy bills and on cutting National Insurance. We set out a vision for a low-tax, high-growth economy that would take advantage of the freedoms of Brexit," she added. "I recognize that though, given the situation, I cannot deliver the mandate on which I was elected by the Conservative Party."
Another one bites the dust
Re: U.K. Prime Minister Liz Truss Announces Resignation 45 Days Into Premiership by Mynd44: 3:46pm On Oct 20, 2022

(1)

Pls How Can Someone Donate To The Flood Victims / Kogi Joins Oil-producing State, Gets Derivation Allocation / A Critical Look At Tinubu's Renewed Lying Manifesto

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 6
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.