Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,595 members, 7,816,475 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:42 AM

Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo (1053 Views)

Babangida Is The Leader Of The North - Atiku / Babangida Is Begining To Make Sense / Maryam Babangida Is Dead! (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by gfus: 10:46pm On Aug 18, 2011
The deep animosity between former president, General Olusegun Obasanjo and former military president, General Ibrahim Babangida was today blown full scale as OBJ has responded to the allegation by IBB that his eight years reign as a civilian president is nothing but a failure by referring to IBB as a fool at 70.

OBJ said this at his residence in Ota when prompted by press men to respond to IBB’s allegations.

This further generated into some kind of allegations and counter allegations as the IBB team responded that a man who was accused by his son of Inbreeding can not refer to IBB as a fool. IBB claims that Nigerians know who the real fool is.

http://www.livenigeriapost.com/2011/08/18/babangida-is-a-fool-at-70-obj/
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by Kobojunkie: 10:50pm On Aug 18, 2011
Two neurotic old men having squabbling with each other in public and you folks feel it make sense for you to open thread after thread about it? Una well so?
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by 2bosun: 11:02pm On Aug 18, 2011
Former President Olusegun Obasanjo, Wednesday, reacted to the comments about him made by  former President Ibrahim Babangida saying that he [IBB] was being foolish as his comments were not well though out.

According to him, former President Babangida should be pitied and shown sympathy rather than anger or condemnation as he was being foolish at the age of 70.

Obasanjo who spoke with news men in Abeokuta during the visit of an American Team on an inspection of the Olusegun Obasanjo Presidential Library [OOPL] said that his initial thought was not to respond but that on second thought he decided to reply IBB so that he would not consider himself wise.

He said  “well, normally when I read these things I don’t believe them. Yesterday when somebody phoned me and said this was said, I said don’t believe it. He said check on all the papers and I said get me all the papers, they got me the papers and I read; it’s a little bit unlike Babangida.

But if Babangida had decided on becoming a septuagenarian, that he will be a fool, I think one should probably do what the Bible says in Proverbs chapter 26, verse 4. It says don’t answer a fool because you may also become like him.

“When you go to the same Proverbs chapter 26, verse 5, it says answer a fool so that he will not think he’s a wise man. So, I am now torn between which of the two verses I should follow in this respect. Some of the things he said unfortunately were not well thought-out.

“For instance, he talked about our energy. When I was the military head of state, I built Jebba dam; built Shiroro dam, I prepared the foundation of Egbin plant which President Shagari completed and commissioned. That time the money we were making was not up to the money Babangida was making annually for his eight years and yet we built two dams.

Because it was important, you know that power is the driving force for development and for any developing country. But since the building of Egbin power plant, until I came back in 1999 there was not any generating plant for almost 20 years and Babangida spent eight years out of that. Now, he has the audacity to talk about anybody; I think that is unfortunate.

“I also read where he said in his time, he gave the dividends of democracy and at the same time he regretted. When I read that, well I said Babangida should be pitied and shown sympathy rather than anger or condemnation because the old saying says a fool at 40 is a fool forever and I would say a regret at 70 is a regret too late. Well a regret at 70 is a regret to the grave.
“Then as elected president, I built Papalanto, Omotosho, others and I started five what they called Independent Power Stations which were stopped for two and a half years. Now that the present administration has started building a new power project at Uyo. As a country, Nigeria should be adding nothing less than 1,500 megawatts annually. South Africa with a population of 50 million generates 50,000 mega watts.

Nigeria with a population of about 165 million we are not generating, we as at 1999 met 1,500 mega watts before we took it up to 4,000 mega watts. What we started they are now allowing it to go on. I believe if they continue with the programme that we left, In another two years , we will get to 10,000”.

Further straightning issues, the former Presdent confirmed that he in fact blocked the sale of Nigeria Airways saying such a sale would have put the Nigeria nation in further debt.

He said “I blocked the sale of Nigeria Airways, not that I attempted to block the sale of Nigeria Airways. When I was military head of state, Nigeria Airways had 32 aircrafts, by the time I came back as elected president of Nigeria, Nigeria Airways had only one aircraft.

“One of the 32 was a wide bodied aircraft, they have all gone and the report on which we worked is here, the amount of money we will have to pay if Nigeria Airways was sold, what we would get out of it is less than 10 percent of the debt we have to pay. That will be the debt Nigeria tax payers will have to pay; that will not be the way to run the affairs of this country. I won’t run my own affairs that way, so I opted for liquidation. So, it was bankrupt, it was liquidated; in which case whatever you gain from liquidation which is also a form of sale, it means the burden will be shared by all the creditors and everybody. So, if I owe you 10 dollars and what I sell when I am liquidated is two. That’s what you get. So, I did not allow normal privatization or sale because it would have put very heavy burden on Nigeria.

“So, Nigerians should know that and in fact my administration should be commended for that. It’s not that I did not allow that sale because the law establishing it is sale and liquidation is also a form of sale”.

http://lindaikeji..com/2011/08/obasanjo-replies-ibb-fool-at-70.html

IBB is delusional! As much as I dislike OBJ, he's the best President we've had so far. Just the fact that he handed over power twice to civilians, which IBB refused to do and almost threw the country into a civil warrants some credit. OBJ birthed a Modern Nigeria even with his many imperfections, only Gowon comes close.

Only God can help Nigeria.
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by YoursGEJ(m): 11:31pm On Aug 18, 2011
hehe. . . . i like grin grin
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by aloyemeka2: 11:42pm On Aug 18, 2011
Everything is on the front page in Nairaland. With all due respect, I do not believe OBJ can make this kind of comment against his fellow elder statesman. As a matter of fact, he is not expected to make such comment against Sani Abacha who wanted to kill him. Such comment is politically insensitive especially when it comes from a man of his status. So, the press can incite all they can through the help of sahara reporters but I am not buying it.
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by KayDee4: 12:01am On Aug 19, 2011
A war of words between two people largely to blame for the current state of the Nation. undecided undecided undecided

Public show of shame.
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by babaowo: 12:04am On Aug 19, 2011
i still prefer OBJ than IBB
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by aloyemeka2: 12:12am On Aug 19, 2011
Re: Babangida Is A Fool At 70 Says Obasanjo by OAM4J: 2:59am On Aug 19, 2011

(1)

Nigeria,my Nigeria. / Nigeria Doctor Flees US For Politics , Loses , Patients Can't Get Medical Files / Nigerian Leaders Paint Dubai Red •ex-vp, Milad, Governors Buy Up Choice Properti

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.