Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,749 members, 7,824,156 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:06 AM

What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? (3775 Views)

SEE The Nigerian Naira's Exchange Rate To The Dollar As At Today / Brief History Of The Fall Of The Nigerian Naira / Nigerian Naira Or Ghanaian Cedi Which Is Stronger? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by pinkrex(m): 11:21am On Aug 19, 2011
Back in those days you could buy biscuits, sugar, water and other things using the naira coin, but it is no new news that the coin era has diaappeared. Some children dont even know the naira coin anymore but its still a form of money in Nigeria. Itas not even accepted in some parts of the country anymore. And this has contributed immensely to the hype of some goods, you cant buy biscuits or even kweli kweli without providing the naira note. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

The only objective reason I have heard is that it is 'heavy' to carry around, but even at that other countries still use it. undecided undecided angry angry

In the UK you could buy things for 'cents' and a cent is also a very valuable unit of measurement over there, but what has happened to the Nigerian coin
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by velo10: 2:35pm On Aug 19, 2011
Inflation of our currency killed its worth.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by pinkrex(m): 2:40pm On Aug 19, 2011
velo10:

Inflation of our currency killed its worth.

Most countries have suffered worse inflation than Nigeria, why havnt they stopped using the currency. It is hardly acceptable here sef undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Nobody: 5:37pm On Aug 19, 2011
Hopefully, a currency re-domination will bring back the KOBO. Just like Ghana did with the Cedis.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by oncolor: 5:50pm On Aug 19, 2011
It was silly to introduce coins in the first place when there was hardly anything you could by or do with 50 kobo or one naira coin. Unlike the western world where you need 25 cents coins for vending machines, washing machines and stuff like that you definitely need coins but in Nigeria it is a different story.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Nobody: 5:59pm On Aug 19, 2011
i heard that the use of the coin is still prevalent in the north.

http://itworked.net/
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by proudly9ja(m): 6:01pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^^
I think the first line above is the mistake many Nigerians make. Yes, there may be no products selling at 50kobo at the moment, but what about N1.50k, N10.25k, etc? Nigerians do not understand that by rejecting the coins, we are only cheating ourselves.

Let's take Cocacola as an example. If they need to increase the cost of coke from say N50 for one reason or another, the closest they can increase it to is N55 when maybe an increase to N52 may have been sufficient but because we do not have lower denominations,  it makes it impossible to do this. And this goes for every product in the market including transport fares. Operators will increase in multiples of N5 or N10 when a N1 increase may be sufficient. At the end of the day, its we the end users who suffer for it.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Carlosein(m): 6:13pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^Exactly.
Just last week, i bought a ticket from p/harcourt airport to lagos by arik air and the cost was N25, 066.
i gave the woman behind the counter N25, 100 and she just gave me ticket and boarding pass without so much as an explanation.
seeing that boarding was already being announced, wetin i go do than to waka.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by udbyron1(m): 6:16pm On Aug 19, 2011
its as a result of IGNORANCE by you and i,am trying to be precise
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by GeorgeD1(m): 6:38pm On Aug 19, 2011
the coin got eaten up by hyper-inflation. that's what! sad
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Princek12(m): 6:44pm On Aug 19, 2011
pinkrex:

Back in those days you could buy biscuits, sugar, water and other things using the naira coin, but it is no new news that the coin era has diaappeared. Some children dont even know the naira coin anymore but its still a form of money in Nigeria. Itas not even accepted in some parts of the country anymore. And this has contributed immensely to the hype of some goods, you cant buy biscuits or even kweli kweli without providing the naira note. undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided undecided

The only objective reason I have heard is that it is 'heavy' to carry around, but even at that other countries still use it. undecided undecided angry angry

I[b]n the UK you could buy things for 'cents' and a cent i[/b]s also a very valuable unit of measurement over there, but what has happened to the Nigerian coin

Cents are not used in the UK. Cents is an American currency. You meant pence, right? Get your ish right.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by manny4life(m): 6:52pm On Aug 19, 2011
^^^

So what if he made the mistake, so? Bottom line is that you understand his point, period.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by ifyalways(f): 6:53pm On Aug 19, 2011
proudly9ja:

^^^^
I think the first line above is the mistake many Nigerians make. Yes, there may be no products selling at 50kobo at the moment, but what about N1.50k, N10.25k, etc? Nigerians do not understand that by rejecting the coins, we are only cheating ourselves.

Let's take Cocacola as an example. If they need to increase the cost of coke from say N50 for one reason or another, the closest they can increase it to is N55 when maybe an increase to N52 may have been sufficient but because we do not have lower denominations,  it makes it impossible to do this. And this goes for every product in the market including transport fares. Operators will increase in multiples of N5 or N10 when a N1 increase may be sufficient. At the end of the day, its we the end users who suffer for it.
Enough said.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Princek12(m): 7:08pm On Aug 19, 2011
manny4life:

^^^

So what if he made the mistake, so? Bottom line is that you understand his point, period.

some mistakes need to be addressed. imagine someone saying we spend cedis in naija
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Koolking(m): 7:27pm On Aug 19, 2011
Becos our govt official can not launder in coin. It is needless for them and the common man is not considered. It is an evidence of bad govt with no vision for growth. The same coins were minted some years back with tax payers funds but now nobody remebers them due to govt policies.

may GOD help us.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by manny4life(m): 8:22pm On Aug 19, 2011
Princek12:

some mistakes need to be addressed. imagine someone saying we spend cedis in naija

Thank you for correcting him; though you had a good intention, I just thought your approach towards the correction was off.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Nobody: 8:24pm On Aug 19, 2011
down the toilet pit
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Natasha2(f): 11:28pm On Aug 19, 2011
I don't know its really bad that no body accepts coin everything is going higher and higher where I stay you can't buy any biscuit for even #5
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Nymphnode(m): 1:18am On Aug 20, 2011
The last time I heard of the coin was in a jingle, I believe it was when it was resized, What year was dat again?
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by wesley80(m): 8:55am On Aug 20, 2011
I learnt the only people that found them useful were blacksmiths! They turned out to be cheaper than metals they bought from iron and aluminium (or whatever) mongers, so they just gathered them for their day to day smelting which kind of hastened their disappearance.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by jamace(m): 11:34am On Aug 20, 2011
There are worthless like dead men's bones. But I know that the bones shall rise again one day. cheesy
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Olaisrich(m): 3:05pm On Aug 20, 2011
Though inflation may have its own share of the blame but i think our attitude also contributed to it in a way,we complained a lot about its handling and govt also did not do much to defend coins. When i arrived at ghana my Nigeria mentality about coins almost made it difficult for me to cope with spending and receiving coins, but,ehh over a period of time i 've get used to it and the same can happen in Nigeria if CBN will rise to the occasion.The Bank of Ghana had issued a directive that makes all the banks to pay some certain percentage of coins to their withdrawing customers at the counters unless you use ATM.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by lgboks(m): 7:00pm On Aug 20, 2011
no one wants dem,every body jst trying to act big. @ poster,abi u go gree cary coins 4 pocket? I can,who else can.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by Olaisrich(m): 8:46pm On Aug 20, 2011
no one wants dem,every body jst trying to act big. @ poster,abi u go gree cary coins 4 pocket? I can,who else can.

what will you do if you travel to a country that use coins? you will throw them away?
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by lgboks(m): 11:55pm On Aug 20, 2011
i would use em.
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by pinkrex(m): 9:36am On Aug 23, 2011
Princek12:

Cents are not used in the UK. Cents is an American currency. You meant pence, right? Get your ish right.

Obviously you know i made a mistake, * covering ma eyes
manny4life:

Thank you for correcting him; though you had a good intention, I just thought your approach towards the correction was off.

BTW, i havnt seen a vital contribution from him so far except for him pointing out my error angry undecided undecided undecided
Re: What Happened To The Nigerian Naira 'coin'? by GeorgeD1(m): 12:50pm On Aug 31, 2011
it got hijacked by coin smiths! 

apparently it has more value being melted than when used as currency! grin

(1) (Reply)

Naija Market Place: Your Honest Opinions Needed On These Products / Success Stories Of Nigerian Forex Traders / Oil Prices Dip By 2.5% Amid U.S. Inventory Data Concerns

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.