Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,340 members, 7,819,200 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:38 PM

The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? (17549 Views)

Poll: Female circumcision: where do you stand?

Female circumcision is bad.: 85% (90 votes)
Female circumcision is good.: 14% (15 votes)
This poll has ended

See The Consequences Of Female self-service / Female Circumcision Is Dangerous To Women's Health; It Should Be Scrapped. / Four-Week-Old Baby Bled To Death After Botched Circumcision (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Octupus(f): 11:57pm On Aug 21, 2007
The Issue Of Female Circumcision. What Do You Think About It?

Recently,I listened to a radio discussion on female circumcision or "Genital mutilation" as the moderator frequently called it.I was thoroughly amused because,whereas d discussants found it convenient to label female circumcision as GENITAL MUTILATION(of course in a bid to kill it) they simply called the male version "circumcision"and claimed it was for "health reasons".

My position is that there is no such thing as "changing culture",suggesting that we drop certain aspects of our culture in a bid to move with the times.I believe the ancestors in every community have reasons for their cultural practices.If one finds them detestable, I believe the right thing is to abstain.Afterall,it is not compulsory to join any cultural practice.But for those who believe in it,they should be allowed to be!! Rather than people campaigning to abolish such practices.I believe every cultural practice should be allowed to die a natural,rather than a forced death,if indeed it has become increasingly unpopular.

The issue of "mutilation" has to do with quackery.Of course if the wrong people carry out female circumcision,there are bound to be complications,just as would also happen in every other surgical procedure.I have seen male external Instruments badly mutilated in the name of circumcision. Futhermore, there are many women today who had complication free circumcision and they are going about their lives and living them to the fullest.(By the way,I have also seen circumcised females who are nymphomaniacs and on the other hand,uncircumcized females who hate sex).So really,a woman's sexual response is as a result of interplay of many factors,of which circumcision or no circumcision is just one!

I am not an advocate of female circumcision but I think the noise being made against it from some quarters is not only uncalled for but also unfair and an infringement on the fundamental human rights of the practitioners of female circumcision.As I said before,all cultural practices are optional.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Seun(m): 12:04am On Aug 22, 2007
infringement on the fundamental human rights of the practitioners of female circumcision
What about the fundamental human rights of the innocent victims of this practice? If a woman willingly submits her vagina to be torn with a razor blade, I have no problem with that. However, when young baby girls are given no choice in the matter leading to not being able to enjoy sex with their husbands later in life, the people responsible should be thrown in jail. That is the only way to solve this problem. Robbers have no 'human rights' to steal!

2 Likes

Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Seun(m): 12:22am On Aug 22, 2007
And please stop comparing it to male circumcision. While I don't really think male circumcision is compulsory, it has not been observed to lead to any harmful effects in men, and in fact it's been seen to have some mild good effects such as reducing the rate of HIV transmission. Female circumcision, on the other hand, has no positive effects whatsoever and harms a very good percentage of the victims of the procedure. Yes, some of them are lucky to have been mutilated in a minimal way that leads to few sexual problems, but what about those aren't so lucky?

The best answer was given by IAH in a previous discussion: even if there are no effects, why must you cut it? Do you want to eat it? Unfortunately, the reality is that there are many bad after-effects, so this is an evil practice.

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by lilvonz(m): 1:52am On Aug 22, 2007
Octupus:

The Issue Of Female Circumcision. What Do You Think About It?

Recently,I listened to a radio discussion on female circumcision or "Genital mutilation" as the moderator frequently called it.I was thoroughly amused because,whereas d discussants found it convenient to label female circumcision as GENITAL MUTILATION(of course in a bid to kill it) they simply called the male version "circumcision"and claimed it was for "health reasons".

My position is that there is no such thing as "changing culture",suggesting that we drop certain aspects of our culture in a bid to move with the times.I believe the ancestors in every community have reasons for their cultural practices.If one finds them detestable, I believe the right thing is to abstain.Afterall,it is not compulsory to join any cultural practice.But for those who believe in it,they should be allowed to be!! Rather than people campaigning to abolish such practices.I believe every cultural practice should be allowed to die a natural,rather than a forced death,if indeed it has become increasingly unpopular.

The issue of "mutilation" has to do with quackery.Of course if the wrong people carry out female circumcision,there are bound to be complications,just as would also happen in every other surgical procedure.I have seen male external Instruments badly mutilated in the name of circumcision. Futhermore, there are many women today who had complication free circumcision and they are going about their lives and living them to the fullest.(By the way,I have also seen circumcised females who are nymphomaniacs and on the other hand,uncircumcized females who hate sex).So really,a woman's sexual response is as a result of interplay of many factors,of which circumcision or no circumcision is just one!

I am not an advocate of female circumcision but I think the noise being made against it from some quarters is not only uncalled for but also unfair and an infringement on the fundamental human rights of the practitioners of female circumcision.As I said before,all cultural practices are optional.

It's child abuse.
May thunder fire that cultural practice

1 Like

Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Nobody: 6:48am On Aug 22, 2007
They say they circumcise the girl to make her a woman.
My question is: how can u make someone whole by cutting them not just physically but in other ramifications?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by acidrop(f): 6:54am On Aug 22, 2007
NOOOOOOOOOOOO WAYYYYYYYY, not this again. i had to do an essay on it in legal studies, again in woman rights, and now here. but i aint sick and tired of saying it is the worst form of degredadtion of human body.soembody go read Waris, she is now a model in london, her womb was almost ruined becasue the circumsion went the wrong way, even her menstrual flow was blocked, datz hw bad it can get
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by mamaput(f): 7:33am On Aug 22, 2007
Octupus are you circumcised?
am sure the answer is no.When you want to support omething , then be a part of it
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Nobody: 8:08am On Aug 22, 2007
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Female_genital_cutting

excerpts

[b]Female genital cutting (FGC) refers to the excision or tissue removal of any part of the female Instruments for cultural, religious or other non-medical reasons. It is more frequently referred to as female genital mutilation (FGM) or female circumcision (FC).

Different terms are used to describe the act of female genital cutting. Opponents of these practices tend to use the term Female Genital Mutilation (FGM), whereas groups who support and practice this ritual tend to use the term Female Circumcision (FC), which is also considered a euphemism. Advocates of male circumcision argue that the term "female circumcision" results in unwanted associations between the two practices, while genital integrity advocates might refer to all child genital cutting as mutilation.

The use of the word mutilation reinforces the idea that this practice is a violation of the human rights of girls and women, and thereby helps promote national and international advocacy towards its abandonment. At the community level, however, the term can be problematic. Local languages generally use the less judgmental “cutting” to describe the practice; parents understandably resent the suggestion that they are “mutilating” their daughters. In this spirit, in 1999, the UN called for tact and patience regarding activities in this area and drew attention to the risk of “demonizing” certain cultures, religions and communities. As a result, the term “cutting” has increasingly come to be used to avoid alienating communities.[/b]

One of the issues I have with the issue of FGM as its called is that it comes down to westerners imposing their cultural values on the rest of the world. in several societies FGC/FGM is a rite of passage that the natives readily submit to.

a few years ago, I read an article in time on circumcision.i don't remeber much of it, but it featured , among other things a sudanese doctor (female) who was crusading against the practice. Why was she crusading against it:
because the manner in which it was carried out is unhygenic/unsafe. the woman herself was circumcised, and she stated

'westerners say we cannot enjoy sex, they say we cannot achieve orgasm-they don't know what they are talking about'

consider this:
several socities have celebrated the mutilation of women in the pursuit of some preconcived standard of beauty. Chinses practised foot binding, a kenyan tribe uses humonguos lip and ear plates , a malay tribe used neck rings.the list goes on and on.Wester activists will describe al of the above as mutilation of women.

so what about western mutilation of women?
in the west, women inject foreign materials (silicone) into their breasts,
they inject neurotoxins (botox-botulism toxin) into their faces,
they go under the knife-their faces are stretched, their bodies are carved up,

all in the name of neeting the western ideal of beauty.

no activists seem to be harping about this.none are concerned about the mental mutilation that the promotion of the western ideal of beauty does to young women-anorexia, bulimia, depression.

instead, they do what it has always been easy to do-point at backward societies and knock them for their primitive practices.

I saw another example of the way we have been conditioned to think on funmi iyandas show.she'd invited a chiropractor.the man talked about how sweeping with a broom was bad for the back.how bending over caused damage.Funmi was almost advocating the abolition of the broom.however, when he man stated that using high heels is also injurious to the back she was like 'Never! I CANNOT give up my high heels!)

It seems that in the west anything is acceptable as long as it is shoved down your throat by sublminal advertisments.if on the other hand, it is a cultural thing in a village somewhere, it is abuse of human rights.I just found this :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Labiaplasty

excerpts:

Labiaplasty (sometimes spelled labioplasty and sometimes referred to as labia minor reduction or labial reduction)[1] is plastic surgery of the labia majora and/or the labia minora, which are the external folds of skin surrounding the vaginal opening. The procedure involves reducing elongated labium. When labia are created where there were none, it is usually part of a vaginoplasty.

Controversy

Labiaplasty is controversial amongst some professionals and non-professionals who [b]raise concerns that the desire for this procedure is driven by marketing, and an unhealthy self-image derived from media images of what the "ideal" female Instruments should look like. The increasing attention this procedure is receiving in various media is believed to be generating a growing market for this surgery
. For most women, it is cosmetically unwarranted, and constitutes a needless exposure to the risks inherent in any surgery. Some have likened the procedure to other forms of genital modification and mutilation. [/b]

how many activists have you heard shouting about labiaplasty?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by yewaman1(m): 8:49am On Aug 22, 2007
the after effects of the so called cultural practices are more.
compared to what they claim circumcison is meant to do.

and

it is wrong to compare this practice to thats of the man.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by mimiko(f): 9:38am On Aug 22, 2007
it is cruel, i saw a documentary on it long time ago, do u guys know that there are diffrent types of female circumcision as a result of that some women bleed to death during child birth, it is said to curb promiscuity meanwhile most circumcised women are said to be nympos cos they cant get enough of sex. they should stop this humilation
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Euclid(m): 11:31am On Aug 22, 2007
Barbaric act of savages, Its akin to the murder of twins in the Calabar region {or was it} that was stymied by Mary Slessor, Also akin to the genital piercings that has become a recent craze in the west, Barbaric, barbaric, barbaric!!!!!!!!!!

Its a product of a chauvinistic male dominated society that states that women should not enjoy the goodness and mercies of great sex!!!!!

Let the women be free i say, Let the girls come as much as they want so as to glorify the name of new borne babies under our explosive population, HAVE YOU NOT NOTICED THAT COUNTRIES WITH GREAT POPULATION ARE BECOMING GLOBAL GIANTS, CUM INDIA AND CHINA, {Diversifying form the actual discourse} grin

Let the women be free and all those superstitious monkeys that ply these trade should be thrown into KIRIKIRI PRISON IN NIGERIA {Thats for the Naija folk to understand} and see if their superstitions and ignoance can get them out of there!!!!!

Euclidian Philosophia is Mundane!!

shocked shocked shocked My Guy shine your eye!!!!!!!!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by JeSoul(f): 11:40am On Aug 22, 2007
to those who support this:
       this is not an issue of the west stripping us of our culture, it's an issue of the health of the woman. and the simple, proven fact that female circumcision is seriously bad for ANY woman. Africans have been doing it for cultural reasons and now we're educated we know the mindlessness and stupidity of this act. Circumcision has been proven to be beneficial to men, it is recommended. BUT IT HAS ONLY SERIOUSLY NEGATIVE EFFECTS ON WOMEN, even leading to death. Look at the bible and history, even God told the isrealite men to circumsize themselves BUT not the women.

Seun said it, if a grown woman wants to subject herself to such savage acts- by all means go ahead, but to do this to babies and little girls? omashe o. It is stupid traditions and cultures like this that is preventing us as africans from moving into the 21st century. We need to let go of such savage and barbaric acts. And why some people hold on to such atrocities in the name of culture is just beyond me!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by chillbabe(f): 12:25pm On Aug 22, 2007
I don't believe that[b] female circumcision [/b] is something cultural.It's just a discusting thing that someone invented for his or her owns pleasure.I see at as a wicked act to woman hood.

I watch a documentary called shocking Africa and believe me i had nightmares after watching that.And if some of u see it like culture then u have to rethink that aspect of your culture cause it's inhuman.

To me it's not a cultural thing
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by stefykarl: 12:31pm On Aug 22, 2007
to be honest with y'all, this is babaric, i cant imagine why people still do dat, i once had a friend who was circumcised or wat ever they call it, she is not happy. pls we need to put our feet down on this, not just nigerians now but all woman all over the world who have been in boundage to such stupid tradition.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Soundmind(m): 12:32pm On Aug 22, 2007
I do not condemn FGC in totality though it have it own side effect if it was wrongly done. Pls, let me ask, some ladies perforate there clitoris and put ring there, It is done by the whites mostly. Is it not female genital mutilation as well or what do you call it.

If it is well done, it is ok by me. If the arguement is on the innocence of the child, them why do we perforate the ears of little girl at a very tender age when they do not know what is been done to them? I have seen a girl of less than 3 month carrying cutex in her finger, was that done with her permission.

If we are talikng of health hassard, good. Pls, what is the nutritional value of coke drink ? It is almost the consumed soft drink with all it health risk still people are falling over it as if it is where life ends.

Umunna, female circumcision is ok by me as far as it is done well.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by chillbabe(f): 1:21pm On Aug 22, 2007
Soundmind:

I do not condemn FGC in totality though it have it own side effect if it was wrongly done. Please, let me ask, some ladies perforate there clitoris and put ring there, It is done by the whites mostly. Is it not female genital mutilation as well or what do you call it.

If it is well done, it is ok by me. If the arguement is on the innocence of the child, them why do we perforate the ears of little girl at a very tender age when they do not know what is been done to them? I have seen a girl of less than 3 month carrying cutex in her finger, was that done with her permission.

If we are talikng of health hassard, good. Please, what is the nutritional value of coke drink ? It is almost the consumed soft drink with all it health risk still people are falling over it as if it is where life ends.

Umunna, female circumcision is ok by me as far as it is done well.

Are u that in-secured
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by azegba(m): 1:30pm On Aug 22, 2007
FGC is not totally condemnable. whoever wants to practice it should not be discouraged.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by takeastand(f): 2:00pm On Aug 22, 2007
this is a very important issue and should not be treated like another forum thread.
female circumcision is  AGAINST NATURE and also defeats the purpose of sex.

what happens when a female is circumcised is that her clitoris ie the centre of her arousal is cut off completely or partially and the lips of her vagina are also cut off is some parts of Nigeria. what is done to these females is equivalent to the cutting off of the testicles of the male. the women has no feelings whatsoever for sex and usually has sex if she is forced to . she also has to use lubricants the purpose of the clitoris is to stimulate the production of vaginal fluid to ease the penis during sex. when the clitoris is gone, she has to use different alternatives especially vaseline. this reduces her to a MERE EMISSION unit for her sex partner and it is wrong. in the case of the male, it is the upper skin of the penis that is cut off. it is just like having extra fat on ones body and  guys have no use for it. instead it stores dirt and might lead to infections. it is indeed for health reasons. however if a guy is not circumcised, it does nothing to him if he ensures he keeps his penis clean and especially his foreskin. but then a circumcised penis looks neater than an uncircumcised penis but either way he still has full sex.

but in the case of a woman, she can never reach arousal unless there are other part of her body which give her as much arousal as her clitoris eg her hair, her nipples etc but it is rare because the clitoris is the major centre of pleasure. that was the way we were created. indeed those who perform this mutilation indeed achieve their goal because the woman really does not have any desire to have sex. she can hardly even initiate sex with her husband because she does not feel anything unless she is touched and touched and touched until she gives in herself othewise the guy go tire. sex can never be pleasurable  and what Man wants a woman who cannot respond in bed? she will only continue faking orgasms and pleasure. the truth is that it is like pleasure is so near and yet so far. most guys want their babes to be ladylike on the streets and anywhere except on the bed. they usually want a woman that is wild and daring and responsive, not someone frigid with a "do quick and go" attitude. but when it is morning time again, she becomes alady.in preventing promiscuity in the female you end up promoting adultery in the male. But then they say it is a man's world isn't it? but is  does it make it right?

a mutilated vagina looks HORRIBLE. everything has been removed. the vaginan not develop properly especially if it was done when the person was an infant. during childbirth, the woman has to be cut open almost everytime because the sense organs that should expand her vagina to open properly have been WICKEDLY CUT OFF.

why do you think generally calabar girls are hot? why do u you think many edo girls are good in bed?
when a girl is unmutilated and she has sexual feeling from time to time AS SHOULD BE THE CASE yet she still controls herself, she is far  better than a mutilated female that has never had any sexual feeling and is feeling so holy. This is because THE MUTILATED FEMALE DOES NOT HAVE THE CAPACITY TO LOSE CONTROL.

every female should be allowed to grow fully in her sexuality and learn to control her own body, not with "forced help". tha's why we have mothers, that why ae have churches and mosques, that why we have sex education, thats why families last as sex is part of the uniting factor.whosoever that wants to be "circumcised" can do it after the age of 18 when we can say she is of age to make mature (or immature) decision.

i am a trained nurse and a youth counsellor. i see these cases almost everday. i am sure another girl might just walk in today complaining that "she cannot find her clitoris " and when i check, it is not there. is it fair?
[b][/b]
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Seun(m): 2:10pm On Aug 22, 2007
i am sure another girl might just walk in today complaining that "she cannot find her clitoris " and when i check, it is not there. is it fair?
I would be mortified on my wedding night if I searched for my wife's clitoris and could not find it. angry angry angry
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by takeastand(f): 2:23pm On Aug 22, 2007
[b]it is not true as some adherents say that an "uncircumcised" female might have very large vagina lips or a big clitoris. the truth is that just like some guys have long but thin penis, others have short but wide penis, some have regular size, some penis tilt to the left during erection, some tilt to the right, some stand vertical, that exactly how it is with women too. when a woman's body is fully developed, she comes to accept her body as it is. the guy with the short but wide penis still enjoys full sex so will the woman withextra large vagina lips or clitoris. but the clitoris can never get too big. it is just like a bud. neither is it true that if a baby's head touches the clioris or the  "uncircumcised"vagina lips the baby will die. just imagine what people make up just too have their way!

but to some women who say that they have been circumcised and stll have good sex, their clitoris may have been partially cut off, of the nerve that supplies the blood to the clitoris escaped somehow. but should we continue to hope that our daughter's nerve might escape the blade? all ladies should ask their mother's to tell them the truth whether they really enjoy sex or whether it another duty to their husbands. but how many mothers would tell the truth? most of them do not like it. they just stick to tradition.a mutilated female is an incomplete human being. qoute me anywhere
[/b]
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by CrazyMan(m): 2:42pm On Aug 22, 2007
Female Circumcision is a taboo in our generation. There is no law that legalizes it even God himself never mentioned any where in the bible where a female specie should be circumcised. God made it clear for us all that only the male must be circumcised. I wonder when Africa would come out of the Stone Age and face reality.

Some traditions and cultures would forbid a female to get married if she isn’t circumcised. They feel that if the clitoris isn’t removed, she may not be able to remain faithful to her husband. But I think that’s a stupid believe; Female Circumcision as I believe is also capable of making the girl loose her virginity and contacting various diseases due to the way and manner it is being carried out. It also leaves the woman’s organ prone to infections. So there’s no point subjecting your poor innocent daughter to an unnecessary punishment all in the name of tradition.

The world is civilized today; that’s why we have lots of peer group teaching about sex education. If you want to enlighten the female child about the opposite sex or about her body, then there are various ways to do it without going back to that stupid traditional believe.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by RichDad1(m): 2:50pm On Aug 22, 2007
takeastand:

[b]it is not true as some adherents say that an "uncircumcised" female might have very large vagina lips or a big clitoris. the truth is that just like some guys have long but thin penis, others have short but wide penis, some have regular size, some penis tilt to the left during erection, some tilt to the right, some stand vertical, that exactly how it is with women too. when a woman's body is fully developed, she comes to accept her body as it is. the guy with the short but wide penis still enjoys full sex so will the woman withextra large vagina lips or clitoris. but the clitoris can never get too big. it is just like a bud. neither is it true that if a baby's head touches the clioris or the "uncircumcised"vagina lips the baby will die. just imagine what people make up just too have their way!

but to some women who say that they have been circumcised and stll have good sex, their clitoris may have been partially cut off, of the nerve that supplies the blood to the clitoris escaped somehow. but should we continue to hope that our daughter's nerve might escape the blade? all ladies should ask their mother's to tell them the truth whether they really enjoy sex or whether it another duty to their husbands. but how many mothers would tell the truth? most of them do not like it. they just stick to tradition.a mutilated female is an incomplete human being. qoute me anywhere
[/b]

I Strongly Agree with you, I feel sorry for the victims, cry cry cry
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by RichDad1(m): 2:55pm On Aug 22, 2007
Seun:

I would be mortified on my wedding night if I searched for my wife's clitoris and could not find it. angry angry angry
 Me too.I think i should go and ask her right away, grin grin   .

This happen to be one of the best thread so far on nairaland.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by shango(m): 3:32pm On Aug 22, 2007
all circumsision originated culturally and provides ZERO HEALTH BENEFITS (including male circumcision)

God made us and our private parts the way it was. Plus we evolved that way. There is a reason the male organ has foreskin over the tip. I would not be suprised if soon they find out that circumcision actually leads to detrimental issues. Why not shave our eyebrows when we are born or remove the nails of our fingers when we are born? I mean I could create a new religion that has that as one of its customs just like the jews did in the old testament where male circumcision comes from. Its funny how people think male circumcision is kosher. The Old Testament says alot of things like it is ok to own slaves and that a child should be stoned to death for disobeying their father. How come so called CHristains pick and choose what they want to obey in the bible. You either believe the bible is the word of God and follow it or you do not. If we still went by eveyrthing the bible said, especially in the old testament, Nigeria would still be a british colony and slavery would be alive and well in the world today, afterall it is justified in the bible.

Female circumcision, like male circumcision is pointless and a useless cultural custom. That someone said male circumcision prevents the spread of aids shows their ignorance.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by texazzpete(m): 4:31pm On Aug 22, 2007
shango:

all circumsision originated culturally and provides ZERO HEALTH BENEFITS (including male circumcision)

God made us and our private parts the way it was. Plus we evolved that way. There is a reason the male organ has foreskin over the tip. I would not be suprised if soon they find out that circumcision actually leads to detrimental issues. Why not shave our eyebrows when we are born or remove the nails of our fingers when we are born? I mean I could create a new religion that has that as one of its customs just like the jews did in the old testament where male circumcision comes from. Its funny how people think male circumcision is kosher. The Old Testament says alot of things like it is ok to own slaves and that a child should be stoned to death for disobeying their father. How come so called CHristains pick and choose what they want to obey in the bible. You either believe the bible is the word of God and follow it or you do not. If we still went by eveyrthing the bible said, especially in the old testament, Nigeria would still be a british colony and slavery would be alive and well in the world today, afterall it is justified in the bible.

Female circumcision, like male circumcision is pointless and a useless cultural custom. That someone said male circumcision prevents the spread of aids shows their ignorance.

YOU show your ignorance. From Wikipedia

Three randomised control trials published since 2005 confirm that adult male circumcision results in a 50-60% reduction in risk of HIV transmission (from female to male) during heterosexual intercourse.[104] The results of the first trial were published in November 2005. It found a 60% reduction in the rate of new HIV infection (from 2.1 per 100 to 0.85 per 100 in the intervention group. The authors said, “Male circumcision provides a degree of protection against acquiring HIV infection, equivalent to what a vaccine of high efficacy would have achieved. Male circumcision may provide an important way of reducing the spread of HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa.”[61] Two further trials conducted in Uganda and Kenya were stopped early on December 13, 2006 on grounds that circumcision was so effective that it would be unethical to continue the experiment and not offer circumcision in the uncircumcised men who were acting as controls. The results showed that circumcised males in Uganda were, depending upon the analysis, 51%-60% less likely to be infected.[13] In Kenya, circumcised males were 53%-60% less likely to be infected.[12] A paper published in the journal PLoS Medicine in July, 2006, calculated that if all men in sub-Saharan Africa were circumcised over the next 10 years, two million new infections could potentially be avoided.[105]

In addition, most cases of penile cancer appear in uncircumcised men and cimcumcised men are less likely to contact urinary tract infections.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Ibukun2(f): 4:36pm On Aug 22, 2007
READ THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very interesting and touching story.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/articles/2002/columns/human/ha19072007.html

After reading this, I had tears in my eyes and I felt like the blood in my veins has frozen!!!

Quote from oyb:
[/quote]so what about western mutilation of women?
in the west, women inject foreign materials (silicone) into their breasts,
they inject neurotoxins (botox-botulism toxin) into their faces,
they go under the knife-their faces are stretched, their bodies are carved up,[quote]

@ oyb

what kind of a stupid statement is that
How can you compare women who voluntarely go under the knife either for superficial beauty reasons or for psychological reasons to women who are being forced to sacrifice their sexual feelings for the rest of their life. Have you ever heard the screaming of a woman who is being circumcised? I did!!! I had nightmares of those screamings. But I have never heard a woman screaming like that and suffering for the rest of her life after a beauty surgery.

I just pray to the LORD that one day Female Genital Mutilation will be no topic no more!!!

It is all up to the men. They have to stop wanting their woman to be circumcised before they marry them.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by cgift(m): 4:57pm On Aug 22, 2007
i know what i hav to go through in order to make my wife enjjoy sex because of this nonsensical female genital mutilation. i hate it with a passion. I can now understand why some men go out.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Ibukun2(f): 5:02pm On Aug 22, 2007
@cgift
what do you mean by "some men go out"?
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by takeastand(f): 5:05pm On Aug 22, 2007
@ibukun
he means the guy want to leave the relationship or cool off for a while
[b][/b]
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Ibukun2(f): 5:13pm On Aug 22, 2007
yeah that's exactly what a circumcised woman needs. Duh!!!
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by takeastand(f): 5:30pm On Aug 22, 2007
i should have added that he would be cooling off with another woman- one who is highly "clitoral" if i may coin that word. the same clitoris which the elder rejected has become the chief magnet.the irony of life.
Re: The Issue Of Female Circumcision: Your Opinion? by Hurginnie: 6:20pm On Aug 22, 2007
well, I would want to digress a little bit
Can u marry a girl that has been circumcised grin shocked lipsrsealed

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Ebola: Can We Now Begin To Eat Our Bush Meat? / More Than 50% Of Nigerian Girlshave Smelly Vagina (shockingarticle) / Lady Injured By Gunpowder Fire Accident In Awka Hospitalized (Graphic Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.