Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,729 members, 7,820,522 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 04:27 PM

Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos (4395 Views)

NNPC Sold Petrol At The Rate Of 130 Today In Ondo Town / Gov. Akpabio’s Failure To Pay Promised Vote-bribe Sparks Protest In Abuja / Court Orders Immediate Seizure of Obasanjo's New Book. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Sunofgod(m): 9:46pm On Aug 19, 2011
Sesan Olufowobi

http://odili.net/news/source/2011/aug/17/819.html

One hundred and thirty home owners in Ilamoshe community in Ejigbo Local Council Development Area, Lagos State, on Tuesday protested against what they said was the illegal seizure of 130 houses in the community at the office of the state Attorney-General in the state government Secretariat, Alausa.

The protesters, who arrived at the secretariat around 11am with placards, demanded the immediate intervention of the government.

Some of the placards read, 'Ilamoshe under siege;' 'our house are under lock and key;' 'Save our soul;' 'Save us;' and 'I am 87 years old, I can't sleep under the bridge;' among others.

The Chairman of the Ilamoshe Community Development Association, Mr. Val Iwuchukwu, told journalists that the residents had been locked out of their houses since August 5 by hoodlums.

He explained that the residents were first served with quit notices for illegally occupying the land which the notice said did not belong to them.

Iwuchukwu explained that the residents had purchased about 150 plots of land from one Odubada family about 30 years ago before another family, Samuel Ojo family, started laying claim to the land after a court judgment.

The residents said their investigation revealed that the Ojo family, which sent the quit notice, had won a land case against the Odubada family both at the High and Appeal Courts over the land in question.

They said they had inaugurated a committee to have dialogue with the family through their counsel, Cornelius Odunsi, but their efforts failed.

"That is why we have come to the governor to intervene. There are over 100 thugs now in the community that are tormenting our children. There are over 130 families that have been unjustly ejected from their homes by the hoodlums," he said.

Chairman of the Council, Mr. Kehinde Bamigbetan, who led the residents, said the protest was aimed at seeking the intervention of the state government to compel the plaintiff to enable the residents to have access to their homes.

He said in executing the court judgment, the family exceeded the stipulated boundary, thus harassing the residents who had nothing to do with the judgment.

"We are demanding the immediate unlocking of all the gates of houses that have been locked for the past one week. We are demanding that the Ojo family be brought to roundtable so that we can engage them," Bamigbetan said.

"We insist that the Ojo family has to respect the rights of the residents to collectively engage them in bargaining for the best way out of the matter. These residents are also insisting that many of them are not affected by the court verdict, they are requesting that the plaintiff in this case should be transparent enough to present the exact boundaries and exact configuration of the territory they are talking about, so that we can identify the number of properties within this territory and then we know those who are actually affected and who are not."

The Senior Special Assistant to the Governor on Justice Sector Reforms, Mr. Lanre Akinsola who spoke with the residents, said the Commissioner, Mr. Ade Ipaye, had received the petition on the matter and had since set up a committee to resolve it.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 9:56pm On Aug 19, 2011
For Iwuchukwu to be the chairman of this community association it would appear that this is a community largely of Igbos and possibly their houses are affected in this tussle.

I have said many times that land use act in Yorubaland is different from most other places in the country. The constitution will not defend you when issues like this come up. Harsh as it sounds I'm suspecting that the person that sold the land 30yrs ago may have done so as a developer and not as a landowner.

The landowner is the last holder of rights on any land on Yorubasoil, his/her consent carries the day.

Why are Ibos loosing homes in Abuja and Lagos, the two capitals?
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by emmatok(m): 1:34am On Aug 20, 2011
Negro_Ntns:

For Iwuchukwu to be the chairman of this community association it would appear that this is a community largely of Igbos and possibly their houses are affected in this tussle.

I have said many times that land use act in Yorubaland is different from most other places in the country. The constitution will not defend you when issues like this come up. Harsh as it sounds I'm suspecting that the person that sold the land 30yrs ago may have done so as a developer and not as a landowner.

The landowner is the last holder of rights on any land on Yorubasoil, his/her consent carries the day.

Why are Ibos loosing homes in Abuja and Lagos, the two capitals?

They seems to forget that every land in Yoruba land has it ownership tied to families.

It ideal to deal directly with these families before going to the GOVT.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 7:43am On Aug 20, 2011
That is while i dont want to build house in lagos or abuja, i prefare buying lands, then after 2 years, sell it off in a higher price, i cant stand the goverment taking over my properties, it may resort to war which am avoiding at all cost
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by seanet02: 7:55am On Aug 20, 2011
odiaero:

That is while i dont want to build house in lagos or abuja, i prefare buying lands, then after 2 years, sell it off in a higher price, i cant stand the goverment taking over my properties, it may resort to war which am avoiding at all cost
Which war are you talking about ibo man? Na by force? Go build your house for iboland if you are not satisfied. War ko war ni.
Typical yanmirin man, always bragging about wars when they have never won one before
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 7:55am On Aug 20, 2011
Flipping the land is good but eventually someone will end up building on it.

I sympathise with their situation here and hope they will find a comforting solution. Its lessons learnt!
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 8:05am On Aug 20, 2011
seanet02:

Which war are you talking about ibo man? Na by force? Go build your house for iboland if you are not satisfied. War ko war ni.
Typical yanmirin man, always bragging about wars when they have never won one before

You think am one of those u can be saying claps about? even in your father's house with your family, i will come there and terrify you in a military way, and nothing u can do about it, just quit being lame
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by seanet02: 8:23am On Aug 20, 2011
odiaero:

You think am one of those u can be saying claps about? even in your father's house with your family, i will come there and terrify you in a military way, and nothing u can do about it, just quit being lame

Terrify me in my fathers house ke? I love you, dont come doing so amounts to you committing SUICIDE.
The numbers of Black Scorpions in our house is in billions.
Me i no go play Gowon with you, i go track you down anywhere you ran to, even if it is your mother's TOTO
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 8:29am On Aug 20, 2011
seanet02:

Terrify me in my fathers house ke? I love you, dont come doing so amounts to you committing SUICIDE.
The numbers of Black Scorpions in our house is in billions.
Me i no go play Gowon with you, i go track you down anywhere you ran to, even if it is your mother's TOTO
Now i can see am replying a kid, so easy to detect who is typing from their comments grin
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by santafe(m): 8:43am On Aug 20, 2011
@seanet

You are a stupid fool
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by omar22(m): 8:45am On Aug 20, 2011
You think am one of those u can be saying claps about? even in your father's house with your family, i will come there and[b] terrify you in a military way[/b]

Why dont you move to Libya? your services would be welcomed in a great way
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by seanet02: 8:57am On Aug 20, 2011
santa fe:

@seanet

You are a silly fool
Your Father!
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by seanet02: 9:00am On Aug 20, 2011
odiaero:

Now i can see am replying a kid, so easy to detect who is typing from their comments grin
What an imbecillllllllllllllle?
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 9:19am On Aug 20, 2011
seanet02:

What an imbecillllllllllllllle?

Still displaying your kiddibilty, are u asking question or what? beside, make a usefull use of the time u are employed in the cyber cafe by playing all those games for kids with that desktop, instead of fooling urself all the time here
  grin
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Abagworo(m): 9:41am On Aug 20, 2011
While it is a pity,I am very happy with what is happening to these Igbos.They should stop investing anywhere outside SE,Rivers,Akwaibom,Cross River and Anioma.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by jason123: 10:41am On Aug 20, 2011
I hate sun/ODILI newspaper. All they spew out is crap! These moves r not done to Target the igbos as these foolish papers make it? How comes other ethnic groups even ibibio, ijaw etc are not targeted but it is the igbos they are targeting. C'mon guys, this has nothing to do with igbos in particular n you know it in your hearts.

Can you all remember fashola's demolitions? We saw it on BBC in the UK n the ethnic group that was affected the most are the yorubas, closely followed by the hausas before the igbos. Yet, its sun newspaper that said fashola was targeting the igbos. For what reason? When he has an igbo commissioner.

Please guys be objective.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Poj1(m): 11:00am On Aug 20, 2011
Why is this thread on the front page, is it because of the title or because of the invectives that are being thrown around here. Guys, pls this is public forum, whatever we say here affect the way people around the world perceive us as a people. Pls let's be civil in our language and contribute intelligently to the topic.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by jason123: 11:00am On Aug 20, 2011
Btw, I'm using my phone so mind the typos!
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by seanet02: 11:01am On Aug 20, 2011
odiaero:

Still displaying your kiddibilty, are u asking question or what? beside, make a usefull use of the time u are employed in the cyber cafe by playing all those games for kids with that desktop, instead of fooling urself all the time here
  grin
Hogwash. Cybercafe ko kidnapping  cafe ni.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by KDULAR: 11:14am On Aug 20, 2011
I was offered a piece of land to buy sometimes 2000 around the area nd I refused knowing well the culture and alittle bit of the history of the area . Being that part of the country , I knw the people does n't prisoners even within their family when dealing with issues of land. Ypu'll have to be really sure and deal with the consesus representative of the family not even the Baale or King as the case may be. So le3t no one give it an ethnic colouration. Many Yorubas have suffered in the hands of omo-onile as well as Non Yorubas. Its just unfortunate and a pity.

And must some people always express to us how well they can abuse people on NL and derail a post .
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by mbatuku1: 11:15am On Aug 20, 2011
Abagworo:

While it is a pity,I am very happy with what is happening to these Igbos.They should stop investing anywhere outside SE,Rivers,Akwaibom,Cross River and Anioma.

Abagworo, stop saying that. That an Igbo is the head of landlords' association doesn't mean that all the landlords must be Igbos. They might have chose him probably for his leadership qualities. I wagger that yorubas own more properties in that community.  

The bottomline is always do your research well before buying any land anywhere. Ask for the deed of conveyance, take it to the courts to find out if there's any on-going dispute over the land before committing your money. This has nothing to do with being Igbo or Kanuri.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by member479760: 12:29pm On Aug 20, 2011
it's time for omoonile to look for job! shame on them.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by aljharem3: 12:39pm On Aug 20, 2011
mbatuku1:

Abagworo, stop saying that. That an Igbo is the head of landlords' association doesn't mean that all the landlords must be Igbos. They might have chose him probably for his leadership qualities. I wagger that yorubas own more properties in that community.  

The bottomline is always do your research well before buying any land anywhere. Ask for the deed of conveyance, take it to the courts to find out if there's any on-going dispute over the land before committing your money. This has nothing to do with being Igbo or Kanuri.

some sense finally
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 2:57pm On Aug 20, 2011
seanet02:

HABA! Are you that stupid?
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 3:09pm On Aug 20, 2011
A similar situation occured in an area off Allen Ave where I use to stay. a court order was issued for all residents spanning approximetly 3-4 streets to vacate as the judge had ruled in favor of the plaintiff in a suit that was 30yrs old in court. There wasnt any legal documentation rights but traditional or customary rights that where considered i.e. family land. Only in Abuja do you find over 90% of genuine home owners having proper legal documents the sole reason why property values are so high (and rightly so). Thank El-rufai for this. The reverse is for everyother part of this country, in Lagos only federal development areas and reserved areas (GRA) residents can claim genuine ownership. My mum lost a 12 plot of land in Lagos after duely buying it from these so called families only to have it sold and re-developed under her nose by the same family. After nah go talk say nah only ibo sabi 419.

You can get a land anywhere you want in this country so long as you get a proper C-OF-O. not one single omonile go fit touch a flower leaf on your government assigned property lest you forget that every single square meter of land in this country is by default owned by the FG. If they can claim billion dollar oil wells in the Niger-Delta and choice land at the heart of the country for the FCT which area father or boy go fit touch them. get documentation and a shotgun and you are ok.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Tinyemeka(m): 3:29pm On Aug 20, 2011
Seanet post your profile picture.

It is not Awolowo who taught you to reason like this abi? Or was he the one?
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by mbatuku1: 3:36pm On Aug 20, 2011
@tobi_dad

Sorry about your loss. The idiots even scam their fellow yorubas. When you have a  grandfather like Awo, a confirmed national THIEF, what kinds of children do you expect him to produce?

alj_harem:

some sense finally

So you are implying that your brother Negro nts has no sense? I was just reacting to the crap he posted.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by HighChief4(m): 4:28pm On Aug 20, 2011
This is a result of laziness, taking people's property. Awolowo de cleptomaniac did something like that in the past so am not surprised, its in their gene.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by NegroNtns(m): 4:46pm On Aug 20, 2011
You can get a land anywhere you want in this country so long as you get a proper C-OF-O. not one single omonile go fit touch a flower leaf on your government assigned property lest you forget that every single square meter of land in this country is by default owned by the FG. If they can claim billion dollar oil wells in the Niger-Delta and choice land at the heart of the country for the FCT which area father or boy go fit touch them. get documentation and a shotgun and you are ok.

Toby Dad,

Another misconception! You are duped into thinking FG owns land. Now you will go buy a 50acre land on that belief and then 30yrs from now when you are asked to vacate you will start blaming Yorubas.

Listen, study land ownership in Yorubaland and get off your Federal BS about land ownership. As long you depend on FG to back your foolish land acquisition dream you will repeatedly be a looser on your investment. Learn and stop repeating errors, instead of telling people there is a default law that guarantees their ownership.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Nobody: 10:40pm On Aug 20, 2011
wait!did u even read what i wrote? the fact remains that u are most likely to get duped when trying to acquire property in the southwest (Lagos especially) than in any part of the country.

try taking your family ownership to the bank to get a loan and see how the bank shows you the nearest exit. go and read up the land act enacted by
OBJ in the 70's, the FG is like GOD when it comes to land in Nigeria, God giveth and God taketh. Yes i was thinking only from ABJ perspective where there isnt a gov. but in other states the governor signs and approves for land allocations. By refusing to grant allocations and tittle deeds successive lagos govs aimed at making Lagos exclusively for their people which begs the question who is actually a Lagosian?
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by Kc3000: 11:21pm On Aug 20, 2011
Abeg help me answer one small question; where in this article did it say that the aggrieved were all Igbo people? So b'cos one i.diot  comes to that conclusion, the rest of you sheepishly follow suit. This Igbophobia has really eaten deep into your psyches, at this point you are being chased by your own shadows. S.t.upid people.
Re: Seizure Of 130 Houses Sparks Protest In Lagos by ektbear: 6:56am On Aug 21, 2011
Awolowo? Thief? Evidence of this?

(1) (2) (Reply)

OBJ Congratulates Buhari: Tell Him To Beware Of PDP Plans For 2015 / Jonathan Is Extremely Uncomfortable And Unhappy / A South South Man Will NEVER Rule Nigeria Again!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.