Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,015 members, 7,817,992 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:26 AM

This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? - Car Talk (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? (34034 Views)

Bought A Car From Apapa Berger?? Pls Share Your Experience With The Car So Far / 7 Features To Look Out For When Buying A Car / BMW Trolls Mercedes On Halloween, Dresses AMG E53 Up To Look Like BMW M5 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by everythinggirly(f): 7:22am On Oct 30, 2022
I don't have a car, I have zero experience. congratulations to you. smiley wink
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BigCowHornn: 7:27am On Oct 30, 2022
Dramadiddy:
white smoke may not be a serious issue

Given that you don't know the car's history beyond what the seller says you wanna bet your millions on that?

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Beautiful94: 8:23am On Oct 30, 2022
Zonefree:
Don't allow any vaginarian to monopolize the front seat of your car.
A vaginarian must monopolize a man's front seat unless you are a priest because even a gay has a vaginarian as a mother and taking over the front seat is something we are born with.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Iamthoney(m): 8:40am On Oct 30, 2022
In all you do never buy a tokunbo, be it a Nigerian used car or Foreign used car. Go for a new car to avoid stories
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by ufuosman(m): 9:02am On Oct 30, 2022
Don't drink and drive
Don't over speed
Always observe caution signs

Congrats
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:06am On Oct 30, 2022
ManishSmith:
Catalyst aka indomie
Go for 4 plug coil, it has less fuel consumption
Ask your mechanic to check the chassis
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:08am On Oct 30, 2022
BigCowHornn:
Chose all you want but pay an expert to check it out for you very well.... diagnostics must be run. If seller refuses don't buy even if it's at a giveaway price.

Go on your hands and knees and crawl under. Look all over for rust. If you see any don't buy.

Pay keen attention to the exhaust when the car engine is running. If you see white smoke don't buy.

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:10am On Oct 30, 2022
gonkin:

He should avoid any camry with this engine. The engine is good but burns oil than usual. Along the line the engine will need to be taken apart. Maybe 50,000miles after
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:12am On Oct 30, 2022
oglalasioux:
Don't give your car to mechanics to service. Take the car to a workshop yourself and make sure oils, filters, brake pads and other replaceable parts are changed while you are looking. That's the only guarantee you'll enjoy your car optimally.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:21am On Oct 30, 2022
GloriousGbola:
The preferred car is Toyota. It can take a lot of abuse.

Look very well at the cars paint. If some parts are shinier than others the car was in an accident and that part was panel beaten and resprayed

You need to check for welds. Some severely accidented cars are welded together. These cars are no longer structurally sound and can literally fall apart on you in an accident.

Try to ensure you can confirm the vehicle custom papers. Some cars are sold with forged papers which make things difficult for you if you run into customs

Ask for all the keys. Ideally the car should come with 3.you should go with a mechanic, but as this is your first car you have no real relationship with the guy and he will likely just collect his cut from the person selling the car. Confirm the little things. The tires, the spare tire, the battery, etal.

Expect to do some corrective work

Good luck
And don't take a thief mechanic with you they can do deal in your present without you knowing
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:24am On Oct 30, 2022
CaveAdullam:
A thread to talk about autos/cars and dumbass nairalanders has turned it into a sexual debate.

Rather than you guys shut up your dumb mouth that exposes your empty brains, you all end up fighting for the front page and end up spewing thrash. No information was gained. No knowledge was shared. Dumb people!

Dear Op...

Things to consider:

1. Price of the car.

2. Your money.

3. Type of car.
a. Availability of spare parts.
b. Availability of parts mechanic.
c. Authenticity of parts.

4. Ease of use.

5. Ease of maintenance.

6. Nigeria roads.

7. Security system/tracking device.

8. Knowledge about road rules.

9. Knowledge about road officers.

10. Authenticity of car documents.

11. Authenticity of driving documents.

12. Availability of trusted car expert(s).

13. Reserved funds for constant maintenance.

14. Driving frequency: commercial or private.

Thanks.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by dadamonie150: 10:24am On Oct 30, 2022
GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BRATISLAVA: 10:35am On Oct 30, 2022
begoniaa:

This brah is looking for a wife/love flame.

Nobody can tell me otherwise.

Lol.

It would seem so.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BRATISLAVA: 10:39am On Oct 30, 2022
begoniaa:

Na Zonefree and co. you dey shade like this? grin

A whole Commissioner for Anti-Women Affairs – NL Chapter? Lmao.

And dem be 'dumb Nairalanders?' LOL. If you or nobody else won't, I'll do the honours of pointing out that they are MEN. Penis-carrying people just like yourself.

And I'll also have you know this is the trend on topics 99% of the time. Na so we dey see am everytime, and this is not a one time thing.

They are rather very toxic, contrary to your perception. They do it on every topics imaginable. They colonize the front-pages and turn it into a testosterone-spilling contest and a competition of "what's the vilest, lowliest,****** misogynistic slur I can use on women?" Them no dey allow us comment anything more. And they are still somehow in want of Nairaland girlfriends, but I digress.

Overall, I'll think that should make you happy, sha, as a redpiller. smiley smiley

Women don't get voices no more, to spread their 'feminine thoughts' and Liberal, woke ideas. All y'all just gotta do is to replicate the redpill trend on Nairaland and its women-to-men commenters' ratio on other regulated, free and advanced websites...

PS: It's cute that when men are being mean, they are just frustrated and jobless and reacting to their experiences with women, but when feminists are 2% mean, they are toxic, damaged beings who ARE NOT reacting to the hurt and pain they've been dealt with by the opposite gender.

Nope, they gotta take responsibility for their own actions and attitudes. Feminists are the only ones not allowed a reaction to a wrongdoing.

You know his hypocrisy quite well. Are you another -aa?
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by VeektawUtty: 10:41am On Oct 30, 2022
No enter agbero,lastma,vio etc wahala
No use ur car carry any olosho. If you want it to last longer.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by begoniaa: 10:45am On Oct 30, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
Lol.

It would seem so.

I noticed the dude has been trying to ease off some edge and been wanting to sound balanced, nice, and carefree. But it'll still take some time shedding off all those negative energies and pills he's been digesting about women. cheesy
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by begoniaa: 10:47am On Oct 30, 2022
BRATISLAVA:
You know his hypocrisy quite well. Are you another -aa?

I am the one and only. smiley

But yeah, it's Maggi, if that's what you're asking. I don't get your question. grin
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Brownshoe: 11:09am On Oct 30, 2022
50k! Which car is that
Naija4love:
you’re welcome to second wife package stuff. If you have married before this is your second wife that takes no rubbish from you, that never pity you when you no get much money with you grin grin.
This wife, if you no get money. You no dey 4q (drive)
You no get money, she no dey go other room(move)
This wife na money for hand back for grand.
If you know this, you know peace grin grin cheesy
WE NAIRALANDER HAND NO DEY THIS SECOND WIFE WAHALAH OOO
My second wife just collect 50k for my hand today, that’s why am telling you this as brother
Enjoy your second wife in peace, congratulations
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by McLizbae: 11:41am On Oct 30, 2022
Clearly you never enter that kind online cruise before... OP may be looking at the comments now and laughing hard... grin
kaymart:

Haven't you seen his reply....
He's clearly a man.

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by ManishSmith(m): 12:02pm On Oct 30, 2022
professore:
brother, kindly tell me the reason for the chasis to be checked. Thanks in advance.

Most time when you buy a direct Belgium car, because of the snow rate over there before shipping it. Some get to start rusting so when you start using it in our Nigeria road with the gallops it will start breaking off

2 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BigCowHornn: 12:07pm On Oct 30, 2022
Naija4love:
you’re welcome to second wife package stuff. If you have married before this is your second wife that takes no rubbish from you, that never pity you when you no get much money with you grin grin.
This wife, if you no get money. You no dey 4q (drive)
You no get money, she no dey go other room(move)
This wife na money for hand back for grand.
If you know this, you know peace grin grin cheesy
WE NAIRALANDER HAND NO DEY THIS SECOND WIFE WAHALAH OOO
My second wife just collect 50k for my hand today, that’s why am telling you this as brother
Enjoy your second wife in peace, congratulations

Very true but you forgot to mention that if you treat the wife well she will be gentle with you on the long run.

Honestly some cars are beautiful and built to last. It's the way we handle them that spoil things.
My Lexus Rx, been 3 years now and I still love it but the Honda accord before this left a bitter taste in my mouth. That car is not for Lagos road at all.

The one car i respect though is Volvo!!!!
The engine sound alone will tell you there is a beast around and it's simply shocking how long some of the parts can last. grin
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by makavelidon(m): 12:28pm On Oct 30, 2022
If you don't have money for two don't buy one. This is my little advice.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by staneless(m): 1:14pm On Oct 30, 2022
GLouis:
Hello, I am excited I will be purchasing my first car next Thursday. I have no experience in driving and cars so what are the things I should look out for ?

You have no experience in driving and you wan go buy car? shocked
May God help us all. This is why there's too much road accident on our roads due to lack of driving experience on the part of car owners

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by helicoptarr: 1:24pm On Oct 30, 2022
Congratulations, bro!

Firstly, that nice smell in the car is emitted by a combination of many new parts in the interior. It may smell good but it's mostly harmful to your lungs.
So, as often as possible, let there be cross-ventilation in your car. Not helpful to use the AC for extended periods for now until the smell is significantly reduced.

Secondly, service the car with the manufacturer's recommended oil spec and intervals.
Note that if you add polytron to the engine oil, the service interval will increase thereby saving you lots of money and your engine will last at least three times longer than those using only the recommended engine oil.

Thirdly, don't ignore any strange sound, smell, smoke or vibration. It's calling your attention to something.

The moment you experience any vehicular issue and your dashboard indicates the CheckEngine or ServiceEngineSoon light, have it scanned and fix the specific issue.
This means that only certifified automotive technicians should touch your car - no the cheaper but way more dangerous roadside option (no disrespect to them).

Never allow your fan to be bypassed and connected directly nor for your thermostat to be removed. That will be the beginning of its slow death.

When driving through potholes, drive slowly. Before entering waterfilled potholes, turn off the ac...that's if there are no alternative routes.

Always available in the car must be those items that you're required to have in your car, like fire extinguisher, water, fan belt, blade, forst aid kit, fuses, torch, warning triangle (C Caution), a good spare tyre, etc.

No eating in the car as the crumbs would invite creaters which will bring in germs and even damage something or sever wires.

Lastly, respect him/her! No lovemaking in him/her. Cars are like persons too.

Let other car enthusiasts add to the list.

3 Likes

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by patwilly(m): 2:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
shaqur231:

If you have seen any car you did like to purchase be it a tokunbo car or a registered car, do the following;
1st for a tokunbo car. Demand to see the Vin tag of the vehicle, that is the tag by the driver door frame. With the vin nos you will be able to get the car history from 1st purchase such as accident history, theft history, service history and so on.
2nd. After that you demand for the customs paper for verification at any custom command closest to you.
3rd. Get a mechanic or pay for a thorough inspection to be carried out on the vehicle. These will enable to detect any mechanical or electrical faults.
4th. Test drive the car for further inspection .
5th. Make sure you are buying from a reliable car stand.
Note: the 1st and 2nd steps can be done at the comfort of your home.

For a registered vehicle you need to be very careful as it has landed people in cell.
1st. Demand for customs and registration documents.
2nd. You can run the registration plate if there are not fines on the plate number especially if you are buying from Lagos. The CCTVs installed has fined most motorist is Lagos either for traffic offense or insurance or license renewal.
3rd. Demand to meet the vehicle owner and pay directly to his or her account.
4th. Do not forget to conduct an inspection on the vehicle for mechanical or electrical faults.

Thank me later, I deal on automobiles.
Thanks bruv
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by CarGuideNG: 2:18pm On Oct 30, 2022
GLouis:

mu2sa2:
Make sure you do a Vin check, which will give the history of the car. Buy a car that has a neat body and sound engine. Avoid high mileage car ( I won't touch any car with over 150,000 km). Toyota, including its elder bros lexus, and Honda brands have a good reputation for reliability.
Good luck.

Planning to buy a car?

Comprehensive VIN Checks & Reports

https://www.carguide.ng

+2347011116171 [Direct WhatsApp Chat Link In Signature]

Available 24 Hours

1 Like

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Naija4love(m): 2:27pm On Oct 30, 2022
Brownshoe:
50k! Which car is that
camry 2010. Just used shock absorbers 25k for 1 . The 2 back is 50k i no add fixing money self, i no suf all the problems finish. She plan to collect 80 to 90k for my hand.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Brownshoe: 2:55pm On Oct 30, 2022
Naija4love:
camry 2010. Just used shock absorbers 25k for 1 . The 2 back is 50k i no add fixing money self, i no suf all the problems finish. She plan to collect 80 to 90k for my hand.
yeah Toyota shocks is expensive, the main reason I too no like the brand, every expensive to maintain here( Nigeria)
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by Brownshoe: 3:07pm On Oct 30, 2022
Bro so Volvo is a good brand? Am using volks but am considering another European car,am not a fan of Japanese car, do u have first hand experience with Volvo.
BigCowHornn:

Very true but you forgot to mention that if you treat the wife well she will be gentle with you on the long run.

Honestly some cars are beautiful and built to last. It's the way we handle them that spoil things.
My Lexus Rx, been 3 years now and I still love it but the Honda accord before this left a bitter taste in my mouth. That car is not for Lagos road at all.

The one car i respect though is Volvo!!!!
The engine sound alone will tell you there is a beast around and it's simply shocking how long some of the parts can last. grin

Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by mywells: 3:16pm On Oct 30, 2022
Don't know your budget,but depending on your Budget let the dealer know that for the next two yrs, the only two thing you're fixing about the car is servicing and changing of tyres.
Re: This Is My First Time To Buy A Car. So What Are The Things To Look Out For ? by BigCowHornn: 4:13pm On Oct 30, 2022
Brownshoe:
Bro so Volvo is a good brand? Am using volks but am considering another European car,am not a fan of Japanese car, do u have first hand experience with Volvo.

The old 244 was my first car at 19. An uncle passed it down to me at the village. I used it like a month each year during Xmas and really loved it.
Very powerful and durable. I didn't change even the plug for years. It's still there after over 12 years. I go home without a car it's what i use and it never fails. Minimal servicing and it ready to run a marathon over the worst roads.

The only one I can vouch for is the XC SUV. I think it has a series though.
Knew a guy that had one and that thing hardly goes to the mechanic.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Man Spotted Fixing A Faulty Cab In Motion In Lagos: Video / Lady Teaches Ladies How To Change Car Tyres Better Than Men. / Car Accident At Mushin, Lagos (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.