Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,133 members, 7,814,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 02:25 AM

Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. (5064 Views)

Poll: do you want more topics on the home page, fewer topics, or the same?

I want more topics.: 16% (16 votes)
I want fewer topics: 47% (45 votes)
I'm currently satisfied: 35% (34 votes)
This poll has ended

I Cant Create Or Reply To A Topic On My Blackberry Playbook Why? Seun? / Project Topic On Human Resource Management / How To Post Your Own Topic On Nairaland (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 9:47am On Aug 20, 2011
Hello Seun, you are doing a wow job. But pls am drawing your attention again to d many topic that make front page. I said it before, and it reduced, but it's going out of place again. For instance today, ALL recent headlines in d politics section are on frontpage, its not proper. At the end we might have information saturation and members will be too inundated with many topics but cant make meaningful discourse or comments. My 2cents. Shalom

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 20, 2011
a lot of topics comes out of politics mostly
other section gets ignored
it needs to change

2 Likes

Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Excelboi(m): 11:20pm On Aug 20, 2011
And to make matter worse, some of those topics are irrelevant and meaningless, as for politics posts taking the front page, i think it's the most discussed and visited apart from romance section and people tends to discuss matters daily, well let see the outcome.

2 Likes

Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by MAYOWAAK: 11:22pm On Aug 20, 2011
The more the merrier

1 Like

Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by octar6: 11:24pm On Aug 20, 2011
ya,alot of peeps are gettin access to the internet easily these days.
And also,most topics are simply recycled in different ways.my 10 kobo sha. lipsrsealed
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by puskin: 11:25pm On Aug 20, 2011
. . . . . and I tot I was the only person noticing such dumb waste of cyberspace.

1 Like

Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by gidson12(m): 11:37pm On Aug 20, 2011
and so many useless thread make it to the front page
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by ronkebp(f): 11:49pm On Aug 20, 2011
And i also think that some old threads should be removed, there are threads dated back to 2006,
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 12:10am On Aug 21, 2011
To Seun and mods, i respect u for throwing this in frontpage for us to discuss. Now, i have been a NL for 4-5yrs now. And if we cast our mind back, when u see a topic on frontpage then, u would have seen close to 5pages of meaningful posts, sad to say that is no more obtainable. But why is it dat way? Becos we're been inundated with too front headlines, and d human mind by nature has an info. absorbing limit. NL has grown more popular than we think, our comments now shapes policy making by decision makers in govt. Remember d okonjo resignation joke dat was posted here &it spread rapidly truout naija. My advise i suggest we throw up burning issues from diffnt sections on frontpage, so we could have more meaningful comments, people can always go 2 dia favorite section and search 4 more info. E.g a lot of members buy&sell n d auto and property section even though d topic is not on home page. Dont turn NL into a 'soft sell' website but rather a 'best sell'. I would rather buy from an ice cream shop offering 5 variants than that offering 50 variants. Sorry dis post was lengthy. God bless u Seun, mods and nairalanders.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Sagewood: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2011
I don't think the topics are too much. Different people have different interests. A good mix is good. Let people read what they want to read. No information restriction. The only thing will be to make sure the topics are relevant to people, NOT thrash topics!
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by 190smh: 12:19am On Aug 21, 2011
undecided undecided undecided
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 12:36am On Aug 21, 2011
@sagewood. U are right. A good mix is what is needed. I understand we are really politically conscious in dis country, but even if we want to discuss politics, lets put d few burning one up at d frontpage. Go to ur fav section if u want more. The fewer, d merrier!
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by yahoo2(m): 12:44am On Aug 21, 2011
Enough said. So much junks on the front page angry angry angry
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by beejaei: 12:47am On Aug 21, 2011
Is it not ironic that this made the frontpage? The mu.mu that owns this website is a capitalist first. If it brings him more money, do not expect him to change.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by seedord247(m): 12:47am On Aug 21, 2011
yahoo!:

Enough said. So much junks on the front page angry angry angry

Junks . . . . what about spam
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by comechop(m): 12:48am On Aug 21, 2011
too many useless topics on front page
FTFY

Used to frequent NL a lot - you know you could glance at the FP and see something thats interesting/worthy of your time. I'd spend lots of time going from topic to topic - twas better quality then.
Now its just rubbish that permeates the FP - who cares about some random obscure nollywood gossip? No offense but why is a random dude's poem for his mother on FP? We dont need > 2 topics on the IBB vs OBJ pointless fracas. What about introducing diverse world news and stuff about other cultures? It has become more of a gossip site than educational/entertainment. Just my opinion anyways. . . maybe this was the intent from the onset.

Anyways now I spend seconds glancing at the FP - usually there is nothing time-worthy on there anymore. Sad really.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by aukasa: 1:26am On Aug 21, 2011
A new section should be created for topics like this it deserves to be in the complaint section/page and not in the front page. smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by aieromon(m): 1:44am On Aug 21, 2011
Right,the focus should be on quality and not quantity.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by r231(m): 1:55am On Aug 21, 2011
aieromon:

Right,the focus should be on quality and not quantity.

true
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Princek12(m): 1:58am On Aug 21, 2011
The more the topics the merrier. Do you want a quota system whereby newsworthy topics are not placed on front page just because of some quota? I don't think so.

If you don't like all the topics on front page, then don't click on it.

To the people calling a lot of of the topics on front page "junk" or not quality, you have to consider that the topic you consider junk and lacking quality may be gold and of quality to another. Stop being selfish.

I personally hate coming to NL after 12 hours just to find one new topic has made front page. I think adding more topics, albeit evenly spread out, will prompt NLs to visit NL frequently. My two cents.

I also like the fact that Seun sometimes puts on front page a topic that may be very informative but that which has not generated enough comments. That way, attention is given to other sections on Nairaland that is generally ignored. I disagree with the proposition that a topic has to generate several pages of commentaries before it is worthy of being on front page. If that were the case, the only topics that would make front page are the male-bashing topics or female-bashing topics or the other topics in the romance section that by their nature generate commentaries.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 2:28am On Aug 21, 2011
SEUN turn this site to a social network
do a mobile version for social network

with 743192 members you go chase facebook small,

just add the ability of social networks.

people like am well well

the look of the site don tire me self, give use new look similar to this.

you can do it.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by LesbianBoy(m): 2:37am On Aug 21, 2011
^^ Prince u have spoken well. Its very annoying after 12hrs or more u check and u see no new topic is on d frontpage. At those complaining dat the topics are to much shud pls shut up! What u guys shud be complaining about is let them stop putting stupid threads on front page, eg threads like 'do women fart' , 'a nairalander sings poem to is mum' etc, the latter among d 2 i just mentioned got me thinking if d mods favour some ppl on nairaland cos i dnt see a reason why i shud read a poem a normal nlander wrote to his mum! *confused*

also least i 4get like sum1 said delete old threads in romance section like d one's posted in d year 2005, 2006, 2008
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by efepro(m): 2:51am On Aug 21, 2011
Looking at the numberz of sections(25+),i dn't think d frontpage topics r too much.My only concern is d negligence of some sections and some irrelevant topics.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by stkris(m): 3:11am On Aug 21, 2011
The current number of FP topics is about right, however, as some have pointed out, there has to be some major relevance in what makes it up there. by relevance, it could be any topic with a substantial message, issue or thoroughly entertaining content.

To be honest, at times i wonder if the FP topic selection is automated by a bot. especially how most of them are presented. If the topic sentence is a statement, then let it be a statement. If it is a question please present it as a question. YOU CAN NOT HAVE BOTH. e.g

[size=16pt]He has finalized plans to murder every nairalander ?[/size]

or see the title of this topic on the FP.

Hey, simply coz you add a question mark does not make it a question, and now coz you did, it is no longer a statement.

Moral of the story: a websites FP is its first impression, and for Nigeria's and possibly Africa's most active site we cant afford to look silly before the rest of the world with such stupidly presented topic sentences. I did notice an improvement recently, but it should stop TOTALLY.

With that said, Nairaland is freakin Awesome! and no matter what complaints we all have, it is still the best thing that has happened to Nigeria's online interaction. Good job guys.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by manny4life(m): 3:16am On Aug 21, 2011
IMO, the number of topics are just ok, my own problem is  so many irrelevant topics make its way to the front page. I've seen so many irrelevant threads on here that it defeats the purpose, then again, it's a public forum. However, since NL has grown exceptionally huge and due to its popularity, some media folks and outlets look to his forum for Nigerians opinion, I think if NL will play that role model, then I appeal to the MODs as well as Seun and his fellow cohorts to portray the image correctly.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by baby4u2(f): 3:31am On Aug 21, 2011
I totally agree that the Front page has a lot of topics sometimes from one particular section. I started noticing that recently and was wondering whether Seun had asked the moderators to post more than 5 selections a day from their sections.

Please lets keep nairaland relevant moderators. More importantttttt topics should be placed on the front page and it should be limited to 2 or urgent topics per day. People eventually find their way to the sections anyway and scroll round to read other topics.

I totally agree with the first poster, Seun please its important that you look into this. We support your dream and we dont want your webpage to lose its value.
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by bgates: 3:48am On Aug 21, 2011
Too BAD seun hav to call an EMERGENCY MEETING of all d forum moderators TO INSTRUCT THEM TO REDUCE D HIGN NO OF POST ON D FRONT PAGE so many USELESS I MEAN out of point on front page. In short i need SEUN contact to talk 2 him. BREAKING NEWS or Matter of high interest should make d frontpage. ADMINS in FORUM section take action sharp sharp[color=#990000][/color][size=8pt][/size]
[center][/center][font=Lucida Sans Unicode][/font]
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by LesbianBoy(m): 3:56am On Aug 21, 2011
ActiveMan:

SEUN turn this site to a social network
do a mobile version for social network

with 743192 members you go chase facebook small,

just add the ability of social networks.

people like am well well

the look of the site don tire me self, give use new look similar to this.

you can do it.
so u ashually bulieve dat there are 743192 members on nl, lol well lemme tell u, dere are many ppl here with multiple ids, infact i can tell u dat ppl on nairaland can just be like 2000 ppl overall but d multiple ids especially in romance and computer section have increased it to dat number u r seeing!
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Nobody: 4:27am On Aug 21, 2011
like this made the front page also, so i agree!
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by cold(m): 4:36am On Aug 21, 2011
Na wa o!Damned if you do,damned if you don't.there was a time when it was just one topic a day on the homepage & everyone was complaining bitterly.Now several topics make the homepage & they're complaining again.Human nature,oma se o!
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by Abuloma80(f): 4:58am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^^Thats what Dan Maraya Jos (Singer) says "Dan adam mai yuyan gani hali, in anyi ruwa yace an yi ruwa,

in anyi zafi yace anyi zafi , " (Human being difficult to understand, if it rains he will say its raining, if its hot he will say its hot, )
Re: Seun, Too Many Topic On Front Page. by cold(m): 5:02am On Aug 21, 2011
^^No need to interpret,na gane abun da ka fada.Ba shaka,ba abun da za ka yi a ce ya yi

(1) (2) (Reply)

The Mace: A Weapon Of Power / Legend Extra Stout Vs Guinness Stout / Biography Of Samuel Olatunji Linda Ikeji's New Fiancee

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.