Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,811 members, 7,862,686 topics. Date: Sunday, 16 June 2024 at 11:30 PM

A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? (408 Views)

My Landlord Is Endangering The Health Of Everyone In The Compound. / Meet Musa Usman, The Gateman Who Rejected House Offer For Borehole In Jigawa / Landlord Blasts Outgoing Tenants Over Toilet Misuse: "Are These Humans Or Pigs?" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LookMeInTheEye: 2:52pm On Oct 28, 2022
God judges everything. I'm out.
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Gloria00: 2:53pm On Oct 28, 2022
Manners of approach determines
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Authority1o1(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2022
Okay...

The problem you have with your current landlord, I hope it has nothing to do with payment of house rent?

That aside, I've heard stories similar to yours. I only thought that this doesn't happen in real life.

Well, all I can say is that you have to step into his realm of perception and understand the reasons behind his sentiments. I think that before now, he has gone through experiences that heightened his fear. Perhaps, out of all the people that did not pay him in the past, an overwhelming percentage is of your ethnicity.

I think you should just look for another place and leave the man to his unfounded beliefs. It is his property and he pretty much can decide who he gives it out to.

Work hard and ensure that all your life, you'll never give any landlord an opportunity to validate this sentiment.

selah.
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by DWickedLandLord: 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2022
Change Ethnicity...tf
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Whiteangel1234: 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2022
angry grin Igbo kwenu

1 Like

Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LegendHero(m): 2:55pm On Oct 28, 2022
Lol all these IPOB terrorists and their delusion.

You opened a new account today just to parrot this jargons.

If he no go take Yoruba as tenant, shey na Igbo wey dey pack their family members from the yeast like sardines and destroy houses he go come rent am to?

1 Like

Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by dominic17: 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2022
I'm a witness Yorubas don't pay their rent when is due , They would rather use the money for party.

LookMeInTheEye:
Some time last year, I had an issue with my current landlord and vowed that I am not going to renew my rent for his house.

I work as a banker in Lagos and have been saving money to rent another place has soon has the expiration of my rent draws near.

By November, the rent will expire so I contacted a friend and told him I need a good apartment in a place not too far from my work place.

He sent a number of an agent and we began to talk. So last weekend he told me he as found a place that suit my budget that I should come and check it out. I told him that I would come. I went yesterday being Thursday after work.

When I got to the place, I loved the apartment and even appreciated the fact that it was close to where I work. When I was speaking with the agent, he happened to mention the name of the landlord. He was a Yoruba man (Mr. Oyebamiji)

When we were done, the agent asked me to go and greet him that he was at home at his own side of the house.

You would not believe what happened. When I got to his place, he came out and I decided to speak in Yoruba since he is my tribes person. I prefer speaking my Yoruba language with Yorubas than English.

Immediately he heard me speak Yoruba, he asked me if I was Yoruba or I just learned the language. I told him I am an Osun boy. Immediately, he started shouting at the agent who brought me. He shouted in Yoruba and told him that he has warned him severally to stop bringing Yorubas to his house to rent any place. That Yorubas never pay house rent when it has expired.

I became confused and embarrassed. He told me that he doesn't want to see me in his house again. He continued shouting at the agent and told him that he has told him to only bring Igbos and Binin people, that he is tired of dragging his money with someone when it is time to pay.

I left there with so much anger in me. I have been thinking of what to do.

Have you had this experience before? How did you handle it?

Mynd44 NLFPMOD SEUN.
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by paramakina202: 2:59pm On Oct 28, 2022
Bring Igbos or Bini people agent no dey hear world grin
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Nobody: 3:07pm On Oct 28, 2022
His private property. Can you force your way in? I don't think so.

Move on with your life. undecided
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LookMeInTheEye: 3:09pm On Oct 28, 2022
Gloria00:
Manners of approach determines
What do you mean? Did I tell you I approached him with disrespect?
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LookMeInTheEye: 3:10pm On Oct 28, 2022
Authority1o1:
Okay...

The problem you have with your current landlord, I hope it has nothing to do with payment of house rent?

That aside, I've heard stories similar to yours. I only thought that this doesn't happen in real life.

Well, all I can say is that you have to step into his realm of perception and understand the reasons behind his sentiments. I think that before now, he has gone through experiences that heightened his fear. Perhaps, out of all the people that did not pay him in the past, an overwhelming percentage is of your ethnicity.

I think you should just look for another place and leave the man to his unfounded beliefs. It is his property and he pretty much can decide who he gives it out to.

Work hard and ensure that all your life, you'll never give any landlord an opportunity to validate this sentiment.

selah.

The problem was that he doesn't want to provide water for tenants since the pumping machine stopped working. He said if I pay rent, he would fix it. up till now nothing.

Thank you for your input. But I'd have loved to shown the man that he can't just throw embarrassment at any stranger.
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LookMeInTheEye: 3:11pm On Oct 28, 2022
dominic17:
I'm a witness Yorubas don't pay their rent when is due , They would rather use the money for party.

You're just pathetic. Can you prove this with fact?
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by LookMeInTheEye: 3:12pm On Oct 28, 2022
UnusualEmissary:
His private property. Can you force your way in? I don't think so.

Move on with your life. undecided

I'd have loved to take action. He insulted me and my origin.
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Shapeaso: 3:13pm On Oct 28, 2022
AFONJA are debtors. cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by Ecos(m): 3:15pm On Oct 28, 2022
Tribalism has finished Nigeria kpata kpata
Let's stop deceiving ourselves. We are not one. This is a force marriage. The earlier we go our separate ways the better for everyone
Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by VeryWickedMan: 3:18pm On Oct 28, 2022
Afonja and gbese

Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by VeryWickedMan: 3:21pm On Oct 28, 2022
Only Afonja have a word for debt to show you how much they love owing.

Igbo, Hausa, Tiv, Igala, Ibibio don't have any word for debt. Only Afonja.

Tufiakwa!!

Re: A Landlord Rejected Me Because Of My Ethnicity. What Do I Do? by dominic17: 3:54pm On Oct 28, 2022
I told you my experience with my Yoruba tenants which other other fact do you need?

LookMeInTheEye:

You're just pathetic. Can you prove this with fact?

(1) (Reply)

165m 5 Bedroom Fully Detached Duplex For Sale. / Uncompleted 3bedrm&2bedrm On Almost Full At Meiran, Lagos / Casement Tower Profile With 16mm Burglaries

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.