Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,103 members, 7,818,296 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:09 PM

Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? (4936 Views)

Meet 22-Year-Old Lexie Alford Who Has Travelled To Every Country In The World / Nigeria Vs Lesotho: LASTMA Releases Travel Advisory / Onikan, Lagos Is The 3rd Coolest Neighborhood In The World (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Nobody: 12:20am On Oct 30, 2022
I have always doubted this world map about Africa, please how come the highest hill in the WORLD is close to the southern part of Africa.

Now they say Egypt is in the North of Africa, with no reasonable hill, just lowlands.

How can we call a lowland the North and call the highest highland in the world the south?

Don't you think the map of the world is upsidedown?
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by grandstar(m): 1:05am On Oct 30, 2022
Raydos:

So sad!!

Why can't one Africa country just break this curse and be real successful?

Botswana is actually doing very well. Seychelles isn't bad. Mauritius is pretty good but it's population is about 70% South Asian.

African countries are actually doing far better than before as many now have flexible exchange rates and have liberalised their economies.

Where they fall short is in the Ease of Doing Business and corporate tax rates

The World Bank has created an "Ease of Doing Business" which rates countries on how easy it is to do business. No. 1 for easiest and it descends lower. .

Most African countries are over 100. For instance during the Jonathan government, many foreign investors found it very difficult to register a company and many left empty handed. In America, I think it takes like 40 minutes to register a company. I won't be surprised you'll need to pay bribes to register a company in Swaziland or to get permits to buy land or build a hotel.

If you're from a country that frowns at bribing foreign government officials, they won't invest in your country. Siemens was fined $1.6 billion for bribing Nigerian officials. Do you see American contractors in Nigeria? It's because they know if they bribe, they'll be heavily punished

The second most pressing problem is the tax rate. High corporate tax rates discourages investors. I have always felt corporate tax rates must never be more than 15% in poor countries so as to attract investors. Unfortunately, in most African countries, the average is 30%. In Nigeria, it's 32% if you include the 2% education tax

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ease_of_doing_business_index

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by etrange: 6:11am On Oct 30, 2022
Funny how people like snow from afar and hate it when they live in a place where it actually snows.

Meanwhile, this same country had the lowest life expectancy in the world.

1 Like

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 6:37am On Oct 30, 2022
Rexymania:
Make person get money go this kind country go stay, leave Nigeria for fulani and their insecurities... Coupled with bad economy
I'm telling you, infact you will feel like you are in heaven

1 Like

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by etrange: 6:49am On Oct 30, 2022
Rexymania:
Make person get money go this kind country go stay, leave Nigeria for fulani and their insecurities... Coupled with bad economy
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
I'm telling you, infact you will feel like you are in heaven

Lesotho has the lowest life expectancy in the world. Just so you should know.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Raydos: 7:05am On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:
I have always doubted this world map about Africa, please how come the highest hill in the WORLD is close to the southern part of Africa.

Now they say Egypt is in the North of Africa, with no reasonable hill, just lowlands.

How can we call a lowland the North and call the highest highland in the world the south?

I watched a documentary recently about why the map we see is actually wrong and the size of most countries is being manipulated just to make the western country look bigger!!

Don't believe anything from the west!!

3 Likes

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by lkillbrokehoes: 7:07am On Oct 30, 2022
Blazebond:
Make una when dey plan JAPA nor try am go Lesotho o,na suffer go just kill una there, nothing dey there o.
I agree, Nigerians should stay in their shithole country and develop it.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 7:11am On Oct 30, 2022
etrange:

lol, use your brain, lowest expectancy, Lowest life problem, you will live a pure parfect life. That guy said if he has money. Which means if you have like 1bNGN and go to that place, establish in a little way, imagine you are not expecting kidnappers, armed rubbers, bokoharam, name them
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Rexymania(m): 7:14am On Oct 30, 2022
How old? No one will live forever na

etrange:

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Raydos: 7:19am On Oct 30, 2022
Mo

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Raydos: 7:19am On Oct 30, 2022
Ggg

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by favour32(m): 7:43am On Oct 30, 2022
Raydos:

I watched a documentary recently about why the map we see is actually wrong and the size of most countries is being manipulated just to make the western country look bigger!!

Don't believe anything from the west!!
Perfectly correct.
The map of Africa is wrong in terms of actual size.
It is very much bigger than it is currently shown.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Nobody: 7:48am On Oct 30, 2022
etrange:

Sometimes when I see people writing statements like this I just wonder.

So someone at the UN will sit-down and just assume the life expectancy of certain people in a particular region.

The question now is don't you think those people have been injected with something to exterminate them?
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Nobody: 7:54am On Oct 30, 2022
Raydos:
Mo

God just beautify this country naturally.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by ghettochild(m): 9:14am On Oct 30, 2022
grandstar:
Sadly, it's also very poor.

It signed a financially ruinous electricity supply contract to South Africa by charging in the ever depreciating South African Rand rather than the US dollar.

I doubt it has exploited its tourist potential as much as possible as it still remains impoverished. . Many of its unemployed men have for decades been known for travelling to the mines of South Africa, even in the dark days of Apartheid.

It does export textiles.
You are absolutely right but if they had charged in dollars the implications would have been expensive electricity tariff..
And the citizens are Sabi protest like say na daily food
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by emorse(m): 9:15am On Oct 30, 2022
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
lol, use your brain, lowest expectancy, Lowest life problem, you will live a pure parfect life. That guy said if he has money. Which means if you have like 1bNGN and go to that place, establish in a little way, imagine you are not expecting kidnappers, armed rubbers, bokoharam, name them
Many of the so-called "agba ballers" in Nigeria don't have up to NGN1B.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by PlayMaker14: 9:17am On Oct 30, 2022
Raydos:
Would you go to Lesotho?
Botswana, Namibia Rwanda and Lesotho are really beautiful countries.

Would love visiting tho.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by emorse(m): 9:18am On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:

So someone at the UN will sit-down and just assume the life expectancy of certain people in a particular region.

The question now is don't you think those people have been injected with something to exterminate them?

Nah. There's a process involved in these calculations. It's something you can actually do on your own but you'd need a lot of resources.

1 Like

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Burchester: 9:18am On Oct 30, 2022
Wow
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by olufadeke86267: 9:20am On Oct 30, 2022
MoreMore...
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by 9japride(m): 9:31am On Oct 30, 2022
But we need to see their residential and city centres to judge the country. Nigeria I believe has more natural tourist attractions than most of these small countries. It's like using the beautiful mountainous area in Taraba and Cross Rivers state to entice people to come to the country.

2 Likes

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Raydos: 9:33am On Oct 30, 2022
For those wondering where Lesotho is on the map, This is it

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Nobody: 9:33am On Oct 30, 2022
emorse:

Nah. There's a process involved in these calculations. It's something you can actually do on your own but you'd need a lot of resources.

Process to do which calculations?, Abi process involved in which nonsense?

The last time I checked the world is going back to old way of nutrition, in Europe and America they are all running back to bio-food.

How can Africans that feed on nature die earlier than someone who feeds on GMO?

1 Like

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by RB1330(m): 9:36am On Oct 30, 2022
Only if you know the hardships these people are facing in Lesotho and South Africa isn’t really friendly
It’s a beautiful country fr
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by emorse(m): 10:13am On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:

Process to do which calculations?, Abi process involved in which nonsense?

The last time I checked the world is going back to old way of nutrition, in Europe and America they are all running back to bio-food.

How can Africans that feed on nature die earlier than someone who feeds on GMO?
What's the healthcare system like in most African countries? What are the general conditions of living like? Nutrition is just one factor ma'am. There are several other factors that must be considered when determining these things.

1 Like

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by Nobody: 10:24am On Oct 30, 2022
emorse:

What's the healthcare system like in most African countries? What are the general conditions of living like? Nutrition is just one factor ma'am. There are several other factors that must be considered when determining these things.

Nutrition is the building block of life, you are what you eat/consume. What you eat determine how healthy you become and inturn your lifespan

Though I understand that there are other causes of death, like accidents which occurs in every part of the world and even severe in developed nations.

But nutrition comes first, you can't tell me that Americans feed healthier than Africans. Then why do Africans run home to pick what they will eat over there?
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by ALLNIGERIANSMAD(m): 10:32am On Oct 30, 2022
emorse:

Many of the so-called "agba ballers" in Nigeria don't have up to NGN1B.
that's why I used "if" many rich dude in Nigeria worth $5m
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by emorse(m): 11:51am On Oct 30, 2022
ALLNIGERIANSMAD:
that's why I used "if" many rich dude in Nigeria worth $5m
If I can ball in Nigeria with less than NGN1B, why do I need to take such amount of to Lesotho? Visiting that country and many others would be only for vacation after which I'll come back to naija and continue balling.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by emorse(m): 11:54am On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:

Nutrition is the building block of life, you are what you eat/consume. What you eat determine how healthy you become and inturn your lifespan

Though I understand that there are other causes of death, like accidents which occurs in every part of the world and even severe in developed nations.

But nutrition comes first, you can't tell me that Americans feed healthier than Africans. Then why do Africans run home to pick what they will eat over there?

I suggest you visit any government owned hospital around you. Preferably a teaching hospital. Spend a few hours at the A&E section. You'll surely get the point.
Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by etrange: 1:19pm On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:

Hhmm... It is comments like yours that make it very obvious Africans don't have a clue how anything works. We just sit back, theorize and start complaining baser on our theories.

Life expectancy is a simple calculation that anyone that did basic statistics can do. It is calculated by drawing up a cohort table (assuming you're not using the period life approach). In summary, a cohort table shows the probability of death at each age. The cohort probability is calculated using observed mortality in the current year and then project it by adding 1 to it for each future year in order to consider possible improvements. This is called a projection (which is different from forcast). It doesn't mean people will die at that age. It means that when all deaths in that year for a certain demography are considered, the average is likely to be near that figure. So nobody is injecting anybody just to meet up with numbers.

The mere fact that an expectancy report is obligated to use the same approach for all countries under consideration means it is a faire game regardless of the associated uncertainty.

ALLNIGERIANSMAD:

The likelihood of death is affected by many factors some of which wealth could help to mitigate against. Others like air quality, communicable illnesses, natural disaster, etc might not be within the control of the rich man.

I appreciate your point, but if you eventually leave Nigeria for anywhere, don't start a response with "use your brain". At least, not when you're clearly not fighting with the other party.

Rexymania:
How old? No one will live forever na

Of course, no one lives forever, but everyone wants to live long. And if the factors that cut short our lives can be avoided by staying away from certain places, I'm sure we'd consider doing that just to shy away from that likelihood. Like I explained to the guy above, life expectancy is a statistical report based on numbers. There are people that live longer than the projected average (the higher the mean deviation, the higher the chances of this happening). However, as we say, numbers may not be certain, but they don’t lie.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by rinzylee(m): 4:05pm On Oct 30, 2022
MissLAP:

Very cerebral question here. Quite thought provoking. I could agree but I would do some little research about this.

Re: Is Lesotho The Coolest Country In Africa? by begoniaa: 4:08pm On Oct 30, 2022
Persephone1, let's go on a girls' trip here. smiley

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Malta Embassy In Nigeria / Top 27 Countries With Significant Nigerian Populations / Ikeja Hotel Recommendation?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.