Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,043 members, 7,818,119 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:17 AM

As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review (589 Views)

As A Man Thinketh....a Daily Devotional / As A Man Thinketh In His Heart, So Is He / As A Refined Man Thinketh. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 6:10am On Oct 30, 2022
I am currently studying this book by James Allen (1864 - 1912) titled - As a Man Thinketh.

In this thread, my plan is to share points and paragraphs that I find interesting from each chapter.

You can also download the book, read along and share your own thoughts as well.

Looking ahead, I will be creating similar threads to review many other books I have studied or currently studying.

This is from the foreword of the book:

Mind is the master power that molds and makes; We are mind, in one of the guises it takes.

Taking the tool of thought, we sculpt what we will, Shaping our lives for good or ill.

We think in secret, and it comes to pass; The world is our reflection—the mind’s looking-glass.

Let us begin, shall we?

2 Likes

Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 6:19am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter One is titled - Character

Here a few points I found interesting and enlightening -

The proverb, “As a man thinks in his heart, so is he,” encompasses our character, our condition, and the circumstances of our lives.

As a plant grows from a seed, so every act grows from a seed of thought. Everything you do or say begins in your mind. Even when your actions seem spontaneous, they are driven by unconscious thoughts.

A noble character doesn’t appear by chance; it is the natural result of consistent, right thinking—the cumulative effect of dwelling on noble thoughts.

Of all the uplifting, ennobling thoughts you can dwell upon, none is more powerful than this: that you are the master of your own mind, the author of your own character, and thus the maker of your own destiny.

With the powers of intelligence and love, you hold the key to turn every situation to your advantage. You have the ability to transform yourself and your circumstances.

"Ennobling" is defined as the act of making noble.

"Noble" - Having honorable qualities; having moral eminence and freedom from anything petty, mean or dubious in conduct and character.

Diamonds are obtained by mining under the earth. Dig deep within your soul, and you will gain new riches of understanding, wisdom, and power. You will realize the truth of the statement, “Seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened.”

What are you own thoughts on this chapter?

1 Like

Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by ezeonline(m): 6:24am On Oct 30, 2022
Following......

1 Like

Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 6:44am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter Two is titled - Circumstances

It is more like a build up of ylthe first chapter.

There are many gems to be found in this chapter, but here are a few points I personally found deeply enlightening -

The mind is like a garden which can be cultivated or allowed to run wild. Either way, it will bring forth results. If seeds of intelligent thought are planted and nurtured, they will grow into a healthful harvest. If the garden is left to chance, weed-seeds will blow in, take root, and flourish, producing nothing of use.

Just as a gardener weeds, waters, and cares for his or her plot, we must cultivate our minds—weeding out negative, mistaken, useless thoughts, while encouraging positive, true, fruitful thoughts. Even good seedlings, not cared for, will be choked out by weeds.

Character is simply the sum of our thoughts. And character manifests itself in our environment and through our circumstances. So, the outer condition of your life is always a reflection of your inner state.

As a general rule, then, we are responsible for where we are. Who we are has brought us here. This is true of those who are happy in their surroundings, and equally true of those who feel out of harmony with theirs.

The universe, and everything in it, is progressive and evolving. Wherever we find ourselves, we are here so that we can grow. Once we learn the lesson of a given circumstance, it passes away and a new circumstance arises.

Every thought-seed sown in the mind—or allowed to fall there and take root—blossoms into action, bears the fruit of circumstance, and produces more of its own kind. Good thoughts bear good fruit; bad thoughts, bad fruit.

No one ends up in jail by an accident of fate (unless they are falsely convicted, which is another subject). When a person entertains dishonest and destructive thoughts, they start down a path that leads to crime.

Circumstances do not force honest people to turn to crime. Circumstances only provide an opportunity for criminal thoughts, previously nurtured in secret, to blossom into action.

No wonder, when key criminals are caught, they are usually referred to by the Police as the MASTERMIND.

This shows that truly, before the crime even happen in reality, it had already happened in the mind of the criminal.

We may have worthy goals, but our efforts will be thwarted if our thoughts are not in alignment with them. Picture a young man born into poverty who rightly wishes for money but takes a shortcut to get it, by stealing from his employer. He is only digging himself a deeper hole.

Picture a woman who suffers from debilitating health problems because of her diet of processed foods and sweetened drinks. She wishes to be healthy and is willing to visit doctors and take prescription drugs, but she refuses to change her lifestyle. She can never gain a healthy body without a healthy mindset.

It is not enough just to have a positive goal. As the above examples show, our goals must be in harmony with our thoughts—both conscious and unconscious—or they will never be realized.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 6:56am On Oct 30, 2022
Gems from Chapter Two continued:

The purpose of suffering is to teach, strengthen, and purify. Do not whine and pity yourself; learn and grow from your faults and failures. Search for the hidden justice that rules your life. Instead of kicking against circumstances, use them as stair-steps to greater heights, as challenges that reveal new powers within yourself.

This echoes what Nas said in his song titled 40 Side -

"You don't need a pity party for yourself. You must rise up for your wealth.

You can't sit down in your feelings trying to sympathize with yourself. Nobody owes you and nobody is holding back.

You're stuck in illusions, attached to something that isn't even there. "

You cannot directly choose your circumstances; but by changing your thoughts, you can indirectly reshape your circumstances. As you change your attitude towards things and other people, they will change towards you.

Gates that were previously locked will open; people will be eager to help you. New opportunities will spring up at every turn.

Nas in the same song also said - "We all have access to open doors like we all share the same key"

Since my mind is a garden, I must plant only good seeds, by thinking only positive thoughts.

You will be what you will to be. Only failure seeks contentment. In that alibi, “environment.” The strong mind soars above, free.

It masters time, conquers space, Outwits that trickster, Chance; It takes the crown from Circumstance, And puts it in a servant’s place.

Your inner will, that unseen force, Offspring of mind and soul, Can forge a path to any goal, And conquer anything in its course.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 7:12am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:
..Here a few points I found interesting and enlightening -

What are you own thoughts on this chapter?

Many seeds are planted but not all of them grow.

Some grow, but they do not reach maturity.

And some that reach maturity, may not be fruitful.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:16am On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Many seeds are planted but not all of them grow.

Some grow, but they do not reach maturity.

And some that reach maturity, may not be fruitful.

Agreed.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 7:17am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:
Since my mind is a garden, I must plant only good seeds, by thinking only positive thoughts.

And this is where you see that the Bible is True for Satan comes to plant evil seeds.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:25am On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

And this is where you see that the Bible is True for Satan comes to plant evil seeds.

I beg you bro, please don't mess up this thread with your regular rethorics.

If you decide to focus on external forces like Satan or the Devil, that is your choice to make.

The guiding phrase of this thread is to Look Within.

Also, this thread isn't about whether the Bible is True or not.

Thank you in advance.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 7:37am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:

I beg you bro, please don't mess up this thread with your regular rethorics.

If you decide to focus on external forces like Satan or the Devil, that is your choice to make.

The guiding phrase of this thread is to Look Within.

Also, this thread isn't about whether the Bible is True or not.

Thank you in advance.

I am just keeping it real and True.

How many times have we controlled ourselves to have only good thoughts only for us to find out that we are on our way to do something we even said we would not be doing? Who has not done these things?

So in line with your phrase, I am in order in pointing out that Satan goes in there to do so many wickedness eg pluck up your "good" seeds, destroy them, pervert them and add his own evil seeds to the mix, exactly as the Bible told us. Mathew 13:25.

So it is not our of place for me to warn people that there is a person who hates you and wants to see you suffer and die who goes around seeking any who is trying to escape, to return them to their captivity of suffering and failures and destruction.

And from your reaction, you already know this is True but as usual with you atheists, it is only the things you like to see, that you see. Which is why you people do not like Truth and are big on self deceits
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:47am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter Three is titled - Health

Here are some points I found quite interesting:

The body is the servant of the mind. It obeys the mind’s commands, whether conscious or unconscious. The conscious mind chooses to contract muscles and move our body; while the unconscious mind directs our autonomic nervous system, regulating our heartbeat, circulation, breathing, and other bodily processes.

For better context, I personally prefer to refer to this "unconscious" mind as the sub-concious mind.

According to the dictionary, our sub-concious mind, is that part of the mind that is not consciously perceived; one's innermost thoughts.

Over time, unhealthful thoughts express themselves in a weak, overweight, or sickly body. Slothful thoughts encourage a sedentary lifestyle. Both self-indulgent and self-loathing thoughts can cause overeating.

Anxious, stressful, and fearful thoughts set off our internal alarm system—blood pressure rises, breathing becomes fast and shallow, and the body releases stress-response hormones. When this happens frequently, our glands are depleted and our immune system is weakened.

At bolded, I can relate to how powerful fear can be.

I was so scared on one occasion that I could feel my stomach tightening and I literally couldn't breathe.

Now imagine living our lives in constant fear of the unknown- that would be detrimental to our health.

The opposite is also true—positive thoughts boost our health and immunity. Strong, confident, caring, grateful, happy thoughts express themselves in a vigorous, vibrant, graceful, beautiful body.

While you may inherit a genetic blueprint from your parents, the tools for building your body are in your hands, and the materials that will be used are up to you. (These include the foods you eat and the exercises you perform.)

Two builders, working from the same blueprint, can produce two entirely different houses—one cheap, sloppy, soon-dilapidated; the other fine-crafted, stately, and enduring.

A person who reads about nutrition and often thinks about which foods are the most nourishing will naturally make healthy choices, without strain or self-deprivation.

A person who focuses their mind on athletics or muscular development, combining enthusiasm and dedication with a sound training program, will surely build a strong and speedy physique. And in athletic competitions, intelligent planning, quick thinking, and mental determination lead to victory.

If you wish to protect your body from sickness, purify your mind. If you wish to be physically attractive, beautify your mind.

Thoughts of jealousy, hatred, apathy, disappointment, and despair rob the body of its natural radiance. A “sour face” is the expression of sour thoughts.

Those who remain pure in their thoughts grow old gracefully and serenely. Their waning years are bathed in beautiful, mellow hues, like a sunset over the ocean.

There is no better medicine than cheerful thought for curing and preventing bodily ills. To wish the best for all people; to find the good in everything; to be content in all circumstances—such thoughts are the portal to heaven.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 7:52am On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:
And from your reaction, you already know this is True but as usual with you atheists, it is only the things you like to see, that you see. Which is why you people do not like Truth and are big on self deceits

Here we go again.

Thank you for your contribution.

If calling me an Atheist makes you sleep better at night, then please be my guest.

And just to put this out there, you have no inkling on what Truth really means.

Cheers mate!
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 7:55am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:
...For better context, I personally prefer to refer to this "unconscious" mind as the sub-concious mind.

According to the dictionary, our sub-concious mind, is that part of the mind that is not consciously perceived; one's innermost thoughts...

In introduction to psychology at the University we see that the mind is the same as the soul (the spirit of man).

Which is Psychology- Study of the Psyche.

What is psyche?

psyche1
/ˈsʌɪki/

the human soul, mind, or spirit.

And this is where we need all the spirit help we can get. And if it is to get the good, then, the Bible is the best
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 8:02am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:
I am currently studying this book by James Allen (1864 - 1912) titled - As a Man Thinketh.

Are you aware that it was the Bible, specifically David who gave this insight? And thank God that David came before the 1800.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 8:10am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:

Here we go again.

Thank you for your contribution.

If calling me an Atheist makes you sleep better at night, then please be my guest.

And just to put this out there, you have no inkling on what Truth really means.

Cheers mate!

Calling you anything is not as important as pointing out that you suffer selective blindness and that your presentation does not work.

People have been trying it for centuries and they have all seen that it does not work.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 8:18am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter Four is titled - Purpose

I find this chapter quite interesting because it touches on what I learnt in another book that speaks more on how to develop a creative mind.

Here a few points I found interesting in this chapter:

In order to accomplish anything, thought must be wedded to purpose. Too often, we allow our thoughts to drift aimlessly on the seas of life; purpose directs them to a desired destination.

Conceive a central purpose for your life and set out to accomplish it. It may be a noble ideal, such as spreading justice and freedom, or a worldly attainment, such as founding a successful business.

Whatever it is, make it the focal point of your thoughts. Dedicate yourself to its realization. The power of thought multiplies through focus and concentration.

To be honest, many people already understand why it is important to keep their thoughts focused on a specific purpose.

But life can get so crazy and this is where self discipline comes in.

As a person strives and fails, again and again, in the service of a worthy goal, their character is strengthened and deepened. They turn obstacles into stepping-stones. This is the measure of true success.

The above point resonates so much with me - I have this strong belief that whatever we may go through today, not matter how many times we fail, it is only preparing us for something greater in the future.

So therefore, I do my best to enjoy the process and look for the positive no matter how gloomy it may look.

You may have little or no experience, but—now that you know mental power can be developed by effort and exercise—you can begin to exert yourself. With patience and practice, your powers will grow exponentially.

To begin to think with a purpose in mind, laying aside distractions and daydreams, is to enter the ranks of the successful—those who learn from their failures, find the advantage in every circumstance, think strongly, dare fearlessly, and act masterfully.

Those who focus on fear never accomplish anything. The power to do springs from the confidence that you can.

The above point reminds me of a lyric from Govana's reggae song titled - Impossible:

"I shall and I will.

I can and I will.

Impossible is nothing to me....

If you have no confidence in yourself, you have lost in the race of life."

Purpose-driven thought is a creative force. Understand this, and you are ready to become something more than a bundle of jumbled thoughts and shifting sensations. Put it into practice, and you will become the master of your mental powers.

What a chapter!
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 8:22am On Oct 30, 2022
Dtruthspeaker:

Calling you anything is not as important as pointing out that you suffer selective blindness and that your presentation does not work.

People have been trying it for centuries and they have all seen that it does not work.

At bolded, no wonder instead of looking within, you pay more attention to forces outside yourself.

It is all in your mind bro, if you say it doesn't work for you, it won't.

It is your mind, you can do with it as you please.

Cheers!
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by Dtruthspeaker: 8:28am On Oct 30, 2022
oteneaaron:

At bolded, no wonder instead of looking within, you pay more attention to forces outside yourself.

It is all in your mind bro, if you say it doesn't work for you, it won't.

It is your mind, you can do with it as you please.

Cheers!

As I have said people have done all that you say and more and it did not work.

No matter how good your farm is in Borno State, if you do not solve your bandit problem, the only thing you would be harvesting is your empty stomach.

And ditto, by following the recommendations and instructions of the Bible I have gotten all that I wanted.

So, I am just here to warn others that they are doing a futile thing.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 8:38am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter Five is titled - Success

Here are a few points in found intresting:

All that we achieve, or fail to achieve, is the result of our own thoughts. Your strengths and weaknesses, your virtues and faults, are entirely your own—they are not forced upon you by others or by circumstance. Only you can improve yourself.

The above point struck me hard the first day I read these words -

"Only you can improve yourself"

It is all in our hands.

If we can think negative and get filled with fear, why can't we think positive and fill our minds with confidence?

The choice is ours, we can either let fear take control, or stand up for ourselves and take control of our own minds.

Your happiness and suffering come from within. Only you can change your state. As you think, you are. As continue to think, you will be.

When a person realizes that their thoughts determine their experience of life, they have no desire to oppress others, nor can they be oppressed.

They understand that the oppressor and the oppressed are cooperators in ignorance. They have compassion for all. They are free.

To achieve anything, we must lift our thoughts above sloth and self-indulgence. Successful people put off gratification. They conceive goals, create plans, and execute those plans. They act independently, on their own initiative. They master their minds, and so master their circumstances.

All achievements—whether in business, science, the arts, or in personal development and spiritual evolution—are the result of purpose-driven thought. Goals differ, but the path to success remains the same.
Re: As A Man Thinketh - A Book Review by oteneaaron(m): 8:57am On Oct 30, 2022
Chapter Six is titled - Visions

Here are a few points I found quite enlightening :

The dreamers are the redeemers of the world. Humanity is blessed in good times, and sustained through hard times, by the visions of its dreamers. Inspired by their ideals, we work tirelessly to build a peaceful, just, compassionate society.

If you cherish a beautiful vision in your heart, one day you will realize it.

Explorers cherished visions of new worlds, and sailed the oceans to find them.

Scientists cherished visions of tiny cells and vast galaxies, and invented microscopes and telescopes to reveal them.

Prophets cherished visions of a divine power permeating the universe, and entered into harmony with it.

Aim high and dream big; for as you dream, you will become. Your life will expand to fill the contours of your vision.

As the towering oak was once an acorn, the greatest achievement was once an idea. Dreams are the seeds of reality.

How big can you dream?

I have asked myself this question many times.

I think we look down on ourselves and discount how powerful our mind is.

Nothing is impossible for you to accomplish.

I mean NOTHING.

Think about this:

Our African forefathers built the Great Pyramids of Egypt and the Great Walls of Benin.

How did they build such magnificent megalithic structures?

How did Nikola Tesla build a device that generated electricity from the atmosphere?

All of their creations was at first just an idea in their minds.

Your circumstances may be unfavorable now, but they will not remain so for long if you conceive an ideal and strive for it. An interior transformation will soon express itself outwardly.

The ignorant, seeing only the outward results and not the internal processes behind them, chalk up everything to chance and fate.

Seeing a wealthy person, they say, “If only I were that lucky”; seeing a scientist, they say, “If only I were were born with brains”; seeing a humanitarian, they say, “If only God had a purpose for me.”

They don’t see the forming and holding of a vision, the years of training, and the overcoming of obstacles along the way. They don’t see the struggles; they only see the successes.

No more giving powers to forces outside yourself.

Look within!

In all human endeavors there are efforts and there are results. The result is proportional to the strength of effort. Chance or fate has nothing to do with it; we create our own luck by preparing for and seizing opportunities as they arise. Achievements are dreams realized.

The vision that you hold in your mind, the ideal that you cherish in your heart—this you will build your life by, and this you will become.

(1) (Reply)

Drag Queens Are Satan's Priests / Use These Spiritual Method To Attract Customers To Your Shop N Online Bizness / Christian Marriage Counselling:.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 96
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.