Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,752 members, 7,820,589 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:46 PM

Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked (7661 Views)

Governorship Polls: Jonathan Warns Against Intimidation Of Nigerians / President Jonathan Warns Nigerians To Expect More Soldiers During 2015 Elections / Jonathan Warns Bisi Akande To Respect His Age, (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by OAM4J: 2:29am On Aug 21, 2011
[size=13pt]Jonathan warns ministers to cooperate with Okonjo-Iweala or get sacked[/size]

Shortly before the swearing in of Dr. Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala as the Minister of Finance, President Goodluck Jonathan threatened to sack any minister that failed to cooperate with her.

Investigations by SUNDAY PUNCH showed that the president met with the ministers behind closed-doors last week before the inauguration of the former World Bank Managing Director as finance minister and threatened to sanction anyone who refused to cooperate with her.

Our correspondents gathered that the meeting was held to avoid conflicts among the ministers.

According to a presidency source, the president explained the role of Okonjo-Iweala as the coordinating minister at a meeting which had in attendance, Mr. Olusegun Aganga (the Minister of Trade and Investment) and the Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Lamido Sanusi.

It was learnt that Okonjo-Iweala, as the coordinator of Jonathan’s economic management team, would serve as “de facto prime minister” in the cabinet.

However, before the meeting, there were concerns that the finance minister’s role would put her on collision course with her colleagues.

The presidency source said, “Jonathan foresaw that there might be conflicts among ministers. This informed the meeting, where he read the riot act to the ministers and explained Okonjo-Iweala’s role as the coordinating minister.”

The source quoted the president to have said that as the coordinator of the economic team, Okonjo-Iweala’s position was strategic, but could not be interpreted to mean that ministers would be reporting to her.

Jonathan was said to have made it clear that project executions by ministries must be brought to her attention since it was her ministry that would release appropriated funds for the projects.

Continuing, the source said, “Mr. President has said he will not tolerate any attempt to cause division in his cabinet. He has threatened to deal decisively with any minister who tries to cause trouble in the cabinet. In fact, Jonathan warned that any minister, who failed to key into the new policy, would be sacked.”

The president had, at a retreat for ministers, explained that his transformational agenda rested on the success of the economy.

Jonathan had stressed that since everything rested on the economy, every other ministry would have to maintain a robust relationship with the finance ministry.

The president had emphasised teamwork, hard work and discipline as the cardinal points of the administration.

SUNDAY PUNCH gathered that Okonjo-Iweala’s role as the coordinating minister made her first among equals (a prime minister).

The minister as the coordinating minister exercises both the fiscal and monetary policy instruments of the Federal Government.

Fiscal policy involves the use of government expenditure (budget), and revenue (taxation) to influence the workings of an economy.

On the other hand, monetary policy is the use of interest rates, currency management and exchange rates to control the activities of the country.

Both are linked as they are geared towards reducing unemployment, maintaining price stability and promoting economic growth.

Investigations showed that there were concerns that Okonjo-Iweala’s independent-mindedness and assertiveness might bring her in conflict with other ministers, especially those who did not share her ideals on how the economy should work, or did not have her level of exposure.

The President had directed that the ministry of finance would be the clearing house for projects, contract and other activities of the ministries.

The major tool to achieve this is the budget as each ministry, department and agency is expected to submit an estimate of its revenue and expenditure for each fiscal year.

The minister had given an indication during her screening at the senate that the country needed to live within its means.

This had prompted speculations that she would advocate a contractionary budget as opposed to the expansionary one which the country was used to.

She had also said that policy, which would help to reduce unemployment, diversify the economy and stimulate foreign investment in critical sectors of the economy, would be formulated in line with the transformation agenda of the president.

Before she accepted the job, she reportedly negotiated clear terms on which she would be willing to return to serve in government, including being given broad powers over economic management and freedom from political meddling.

When contacted, the Special Adviser to the President on Media and Publicity, Dr. Reuben Abati, explained the functions of Okonjo-Iweala as the coordinating minister.

He said she was made the coordinating minister to ensure that the various ministries worked together to forge synergy in government operations.

Abati told one of our correspondents that the president had made the economy the centrepiece of his transformation agenda, saying there must be proper coordination for a strong economy to emerge.

He said, “The duty of the Minister of Finance, making her the coordinating minister, is to ensure that the various ministries work together and there is a synergy in government operations.

“If everything ends with finance, it basically means that, every other ministry would have to have a robust relationship with that ministry. The emphasis is really on this synergy.”

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art201108215541231
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by OAM4J: 2:31am On Aug 21, 2011
Hahahaha grin

All ministers are equal, but some are more equal than the others. grin Welcome the Super-Minister Iweala grin
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Kobojunkie: 2:35am On Aug 21, 2011
OAM4J:

All ministers are equal, but some are more equal than the others. grin Welcome the Super-Minister Iweala grin

This is how wahala starts . . . . make them no go assassinate am now. . . lol
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Obiagu1(m): 3:12am On Aug 21, 2011
Interesting. Well, if she succeeds, GEJ will take the credit.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by hercules07: 3:24am On Aug 21, 2011
I hope GEJ knows that the monetary policy is that of the CBN and that the finance minister should not oversee that as she is meant to be overseeing the fiscal side, I am uncomfortable with the powers being given to Okonjo, especially with her World Bank connections.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by henry101(m): 4:27am On Aug 21, 2011
hercules07:

I hope GEJ knows that the monetary policy is that of the CBN and that the finance minister should not oversee that as she is meant to be overseeing the fiscal side, I am uncomfortable with the powers being given to Okonjo, especially with her World Bank connections.

Abeg leave matter. I like the power she got, She's gonna do her job and would want to protect her name.
I know a "cabal" would be formed to bring her down as usual but Ngozi na real tough woman.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by sadyeek(m): 7:13am On Aug 21, 2011
He's giving her too much power, which as a result would cloud her judgments. It doesn't help that she's a woman also.

A better way would have been, " I and Okonjo-Iweala are going to be working on bebuilding this economy and take her thoughts into consideration. If however she comes up with a positive idea that would help the economy which I(GEJ) happen to find it good.[size=18pt] However, if any minister does not have a better reason for disagreeing WITH ME would be sanctioned."[/size]

Nobody would oppose her now, even if her idea is a bad one,

Let's also not forget that she's human and not a robot, machine whatever you want to call it, she's als prone to mistakes and not perfect.

Just my thoughts sha,
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Remii(m): 7:14am On Aug 21, 2011
Obiagu1:

Interesting. Well, if she succeeds, GEJ will take the credit.

Rumour has it that she left OBJ cabinet because of argument on who should take credit for debit cancellation deal. lets see what will happen this time.

Okonjo is now assuming the posture of Awolowo in Gowon's cabinet, Maybe GEJ should hand over to her immediately if he thinks Okonjo is solution to all our anticipated success, the Messi in his team. lol
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by TenKobo1: 7:19am On Aug 21, 2011
This is a serious home work for the vultures in the PDP, i guess by now they must be holding their nocturnal meetings non stop, untill Okonjo Iweala is either discredited or killed. GEJ has shown good will if this report is not manufactured by Abati but it remains to be seen if he will take the necessary steps needed to rein in the hawks in the PDP nest of assasins. God save Iweala.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Nobody: 7:20am On Aug 21, 2011
Where does cooperation start and where does it end?

What happened to check and balances?

Oh yea, that only works in a civilized government.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Donbrig: 7:37am On Aug 21, 2011
Bravo. This is a very good step by GEJ, corrupt ministers will find it very difficult to embezzle or inflate funds for projects, because Iweala is an expert in calculating how every dime is spent on govt projects. But I would like her to help strengthen the war against corruption. Waziri (EFCC BOSS) should be sacked with immediate effect, corruption has risen to its peak since she took office, she is fighting corruption with sentiments. GEJ should look for a pragmatic radical to head the EFCC. There is no way Iweala can work with Waziri as the EFCC boss. Waging a successful war against corruption is the most vital step towards a robust economy.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by sley4life(m): 7:38am On Aug 21, 2011
Okonjo is better qualified than other ministers. They should report to her cos most the ministers are shady and would go extra length to inflate contracts to suit their pocket. She should be given free hand to perform her duties
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by naijaking1: 7:41am On Aug 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

This is how wahala starts . . . . make them no go assassinate am now. . . lol

Excuse me
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by marcus1234: 7:58am On Aug 21, 2011
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Johndoe100(m): 7:59am On Aug 21, 2011
This is another article that jusrt seeks to sow discord. The finance minister is not and was never expected to be a prime minister. It is amazing how fast people forget (or maybe you guys deliberately want to forget), when the economic team was 1st inogurated. GEJ made it clear that the ecomomic team does not run any ministry. Any way he is the head of the team and Sambo is vice so how can Okonju be the Prime Minister.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by naijaking1: 8:05am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^
No doubt the VP is the 2nd citizen of this country. But when it comes to a specialized area like managing an economic team, the country will benefit most from the most educated, the most experienced, and the most exposed; and that will be Ngozi no dounbt. Let's not make it look as if there is constitutional misunderstanding here, it's just about the economic team. I'm sure there are other teams like defense, education, etc.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Nobody: 8:38am On Aug 21, 2011
naijaking1:

Excuse me

Why anyone would even moot the idea of assassination is beyond me.

Bros If na joke make u stop am o!!!
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Yinkay: 9:03am On Aug 21, 2011
Jonathan is placing too much hope in Madam Okonjo Iweala, does it mean he has no idea/vision of his own or he is unprepared for the presidency?
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Johnpaul2k2(m): 9:19am On Aug 21, 2011
Dr Nkozi Okonjo iweala,You are good to go!!!!! . Your Experiences are Far more better than South West Womanliness Ministers ,as well as Armajiris grin cheesy
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Myluv1: 9:46am On Aug 21, 2011
Johnpaul2k2:

Dr Nkozi Okonjo iweala,You are good to go!!!!! . Your Experiences are Far more better than South West bleep Ministers ,as well as Armajiris grin cheesy

Mbanu! Easy bro,

@ Topic

Threaten ke? Ok nah
Aunty Ngoo = Economic messiah of 9ja tongue
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Demdem(m): 9:59am On Aug 21, 2011
its good to know that GEJ has surrendered the economy to Okonjo. at least to a person that ought to know how to handle it.
GEJ knows nothing about the economy but its presently now in good hands i suppose undecided undecided
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by doyin13(m): 10:07am On Aug 21, 2011
This arrangement still doesn't address the fundamental problem of the Nigerian state: The Federal Government getting involved in things it shouldn't.

I envisage the birth of a monstrous bureaucracy at the Finance Ministry trying to monitor the plethora of projects the Federal Government shouldn't have
any business with in the first place.

i have no doubt on the macro economic level, Okonjo Iweala has all the ingredients for success and our economic statistics will start to perk up.

But she herself has to know, it is high time the FG gave up some powers and revenue to the states. I am aware of the usual objections to the corrupt bunch of governors we are saddled with. But they still do  a far better job than the FG does at present. Under state hands, for example, a road like Ore-Benin will most likely have been sorted by now, as will have  the Lagos Apapa expressway. What we have had instead is a stuttering and certainly criminal effort which have indirectly led and still contribute to the deaths of many Nigerians.

So forgive me if I greet this article with a weary skepticism. The changes we seek still seem far away.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by 3kay945(m): 10:13am On Aug 21, 2011
Bro jonathan has been waiting for this woman to rescue him with her magic wand, so let wait and see changes or failure in the next 18months.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by omanzo02: 10:27am On Aug 21, 2011
The simple fact is most of the ministers are politicians and Ngozi is a professional, In my oppinion GEJ is telling the ministers to let the professionals do their work and the politician do theirs, to aviod political meddling in every issues that requires professional ideas, procedure and solution, else they get the boot.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Myluv1: 10:39am On Aug 21, 2011
Muvee: The Transformers (Series)
Sege Aganga

Lead Casts: Ebele Zik Jona, Nama' Sambo, Ngoo Iwe, Sege Aganga

Introducing: Pete Obi,

Script editor:
Uncle Ruby Aba

Lights/sounds:
NTA studios

All seated (me at the rear as usual). Popcorn handy. Let's see how it goes, hope I'll enjoy this flick sha, *takes a handful, then munches*. brb
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by ziccoit: 10:44am On Aug 21, 2011
In Mr GEJ's thought ( at least going by this revelation), Okonjo is the only qualified figure to be a minister of The Federal Republic of Nigeria. Why not employed a pack of good hands instead of asking a seemly good hand to monitor the others .

The woman will leave her work undone running after her colleagues. This is absurd. May be minister of Monitoring Affairs would need to be added to GEJ's cabinet.

Rubbish. This is a failure factorial.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by edicolove: 10:53am On Aug 21, 2011
Jonathan is placing too much hope in Madam Okonjo Iweala, does it mean he has no idea/vision of his own or he is unprepared for the presidency?

Stupid post again, just like always in NL

It is the fact that he has vision and is very well prepared that has made him place a lot of hope on her (being a proffesional) to handle the economy. GEJ does not have to know about the economy or any other sector. Thats why there are proffesionals to do the job. The president is an overseer. A team leader. Too many illiterates on NL. Maybe we should start an adult education section.

And to the guy who said GEJ will take the credit. another dumb post there. The team leader always takes the credit. Thats how it works. Then, he in turn can recognize the other members of the team. Obama took the credit for Osama's elimination. Did he travel to Pakistan? duuuuhhhhhhh!
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Anubis: 11:06am On Aug 21, 2011
unfortunately for us most corruption happens in the presidency, which madame is not going to oversee
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by edicolove: 11:36am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^dont be a clueless jerk. most corruption happens in the ministries. The civil servants are the most corrupt Nigerians. Forget all their minimum stuff. They are the problem of Nigeria.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by Nobody: 11:36am On Aug 21, 2011
Anubis:

unfortunately for us most corruption happens in the presidency, which madame is not going to oversee

Bros, she will see it. Let us be hopeful.

It was when OBJ wanted to use her to do fraud that she protested and OBJ transfered her to the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and the woman resigned.

I GEJ is sincere, I pray that they will succeed.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by edicolove: 11:39am On Aug 21, 2011
^^^ and why would OBJ need her to do fraud? another clueless post. The president does not need the finance minster to do fraud. There are so many ways he can make money, You dont have a clue how government works so stop making wild comments.
Re: Jonathan Warns Ministers To Cooperate With Okonjo-iweala Or Get Sacked by cap28: 11:58am On Aug 21, 2011
when i read posts like this i know that there is no hope for nigeria, i continue to wonder how people can claim that they are educated when they remain totally ignorant of what is going on in the world around them,how many times do you want to keep getting shafted by this woman before you understand that she does not serve the interests of nigeria? How many more draconian economic reforms is this woman going to subject you to before you realise that world bank and imf policies seek to keep you a slave of the west? GEJ has nothing to offer the nigerian people he is working to serve the interests of foreign banks, why is it that every other nation of people understand that they are under attack from the west except nigerians? is it that nigerians are so mentally dense that this basic fact simply does not or can not get through to them?
Keep following this woman - she is facilitating the complete economic take over of every aspect of your economy, this is why she has been given carte blanche to do whatever she wants - she is actually now more powerful than GEJ because of the backing she has from her bosses in washington.
You are about to have the worst kind of economic reforms imposed on you which will make the previous austerity you were suffering under seem like a tea party.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

This Cartoon About Buhari Will Crack Your Ribs(pic) / Is Senator Ben Murray Bruce Really An Half-cast Or.... / List Of Evil Accomplishments Of Boko Haram

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.