Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,114 members, 7,811,134 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management (11365 Views)

Npower: Reason Why Your Npower Payroll Status Says "Failed" / Npower: Payroll Sub Menu Appears On Dashboard / Apply For Payroll & Total Rewards Manager At Lumos Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by QuinModah(f): 10:04am On Nov 04, 2022
HR Manager (HRM) and Finance Manager (FM): Controversial issue on payroll management.

There has been recent controversial issue between HRM and FM on who to manage payroll process for a newly established organization. Below is the discussion among CEO, FM and HRM.

CEO: As we all aware that this is the first management meeting of this newly established company. Please HRM share update on staff matters with management team.

HRM: Thank you CEO. We have successfully recruited 15 staff and I am working on their payroll for this month. Immediately I'm done, I would bring it to your table for final approval before forwarding to Finance Manager for payment.

FM: Please HRM, we need to get it right from inception especially on payroll management. If I may ask, I have few questions on your submission.

HRM: Please go-ahead FM.

FM: Please are you aware about latest Finance Act, 2020 which gives ways to new computation of Personal Income Tax (PIT) popularly called PAYE? Also, are you the one to be responsible for annual returns and tax audit with IRS. Finally, other parameters of payroll such pension, NHF, ITF and NSITF should be adequately managed to avoid fine and penalty.

HRM: Kindly note that payroll has to do with staff matter and anything that falls within this category, it is solely handled by HR. Also, on all your questions, we would take cognizance of it and revert if there is any clarification.

FM: Alright but you also need to take note of staff IOUs and advances that might have been posted into various staff accounts on SAP.

HRM: If you want to handle that responsibility, I might shift it to you for proper management as you claimed.

CEO: No at this moment, I intentionally allowed you guys to justify your positions. However, kindly do more consultation with various professionals in different industries and revert in the next meeting.

Please share your view on who to manage payroll.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Pojomojo: 10:08am On Nov 04, 2022
First, Why do both managers need to fight on who to manage Payroll when it is actually the responsibility of both parties to ensure that all staff salaries and allowances are paid accurately, and as and when due.

Payroll Management overlaps between HRM and FM, however, given that HRM is the People Business Partner, we can deduce that the primary responsibility of ensuring that all staff get what is due to them as compensation lies with the HRM.

For Preparation of the Payroll, it is better that the process is managed by the HRM given that it has all information regarding entry and exit of staff, as well as, who deserves to get what, from time to time.

The FM comes in when it comes to establishing the processes (building the Payroll Sheet or System) and advising on necessary developments as it relates to statutory compliance on a regular basis.

In practice, from both my local and international experience, I have seen that the HRM manages Payroll, while the FM reviews and disburse accordingly.

Given my above points and practical experience, I'd say the primary responsibility of Payroll Management falls on the lap of the HRM with the FM providing necessary and strategic reviews and input from time to time.

73 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Hamachi(f): 10:32am On Nov 04, 2022
Let me sit and learn

1 Like

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Rubyjade: 12:53pm On Nov 07, 2022
educative................ My sis once worked in a place where she earn 130k gross but her net was 114 and some fractions and I told her they are cheating her. She said they pay pension, NHS and PAYE, even at that I still told her net should be around 121 and some fractions. This will ONLY happen in an organisation where the HR does not understand the finance act 2020

11 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by 900warriorz: 2:25pm On Nov 07, 2022
FM and HR are to work together on payroll administration. They both have crucial parts to play in it. cool

9 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by bigdammyj: 2:26pm On Nov 07, 2022
Reading...
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Fiscus105(m): 2:28pm On Nov 07, 2022
Finance manager has perogative on payroll and not HR

I liken HR to PS in the ministry and FM to Chief accountant.

Just the way the REGISTRAR and BURSAR are, in the universities.

5 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Dshocker(m): 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2022
Finance manager should be incharge

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by CelestineNelson: 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2022
Finance manager

2 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by iiifedimma(f): 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2022
Okay
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by TempUser: 2:29pm On Nov 07, 2022
This is dead simple. Your HRM should be concerned about the Nominal Roll while your FM should deal with the Payroll and keep the promotions in sync with the Nominal Roll.

They need to synergize just as in the picture attached. grin

11 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by sisisioge: 2:30pm On Nov 07, 2022
No need to argue nau. It should be a joint efforts between HRM and FM. HR fills the part relating to amounts to be paid a staff after all internal deductions such as loans repayment, attendance, etc while Finance takes it over from statutory deductions. Once both are done,they move it to approvals.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Mindlog: 2:31pm On Nov 07, 2022
Where I work, it is the HR Manager (HRM) that is the first point of contact when it comes to payroll management.

5 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by ryloy: 2:31pm On Nov 07, 2022
Both
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by youngscholar(m): 2:32pm On Nov 07, 2022
Observing
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by RichAbujaGuy: 2:34pm On Nov 07, 2022
The two departments have to work in conjunction with each other with finance/accounting taking the lead and HR offering a supporting role. If the company is new then textbook business management theory or rules do not apply. Even the CEO must sweep floors and do office cleaning and maintenance.

3 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Okwuapkunaonu(m): 2:34pm On Nov 07, 2022
Tinubu the Jagabandit
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Nova01(m): 2:35pm On Nov 07, 2022
9jayes:
This is where Peter Obi is needed as a finance minister under Asiwaju.

you are very mad sir ... it’s not needed in a thread like this , you talking about a person that put a whole states fund in fixed deposit as intellectually smart . Let’s use our little sense please

3 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by MeaslesMumpsRub: 2:36pm On Nov 07, 2022
9jayes:
This is where Peter Obi is needed as a finance minister under Asiwaju.

God forbid!!!!

Peter Obi does not have the prerequisite to hold any portfolio under BAT Presidency.
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by digitalmonster(m): 2:37pm On Nov 07, 2022
While i was working and slaving for a particular company, I think the HR Was in charge of the payroll, every organisation may have their own set rules and process,

All in all, I thank God for saving me from slave working for other people as i see financial freedom through the internet and I advice people to get financial independence.

If you know what CPA Marketing is all about or have been hearing this online business but don't know how to go about it... Then try go deeper in your research, CPA marketing can make you rich overnight.

CPA means cost per Action, this is where you help big company generate leads online, and you get paid when those leads are captured.

Big international companies pays CPA Marketers like myself from $2-$5 per email submit leads to their offers, and they deploy an incentive gifts which CPA marketers can promote online using their CPA marketing skills.

Here is a typical example of CPA offer

So your job as a CPA Marketer is to deploy your marketing skills into promoting this offers online to the specific target geo....and when someone enter his/her email to win the Giftcard, the CPA Network pays you $2.50 for that email submit action. you see how easy to make money online promoting free gift to people.

Imagine setting up a CPA marketing Campaign that would be getting you up to 100-200 people daily entering their email to partake in this CPA Offers, that can be making you $200-$400+ daily on complete autopilot. set it up once and start making money.

TAKE A LOOK AT THIS IMAGES I CREATED ON CANVA FOR FREE TO PROMOTE THE OFFER

You can create something like that, Add the QR Code, it's a meme and funny as well, this also spark curiosity because it has a QR code that says, scan me, people would start scanning and get redirected to the CPA Locker page you have created for this... Promote using a CPA promotion strategy, SIT DOWN AND WATCH MONEY POURING INTO YOUR CPA DASHBOARD.

When they scan the code, below is the CPA Locker page i created that would all take them to complete the Offer, while the CPA network would be paying me for those action

Those are just some of the creative ways i use to promote CPA offers making me $100-$500 daily....

Anyone that knows about CPA marketing but has no idea about traffic and promotional strategy, can get my CPA Mentorship training video, its a complete look over the shoulder CPA promotion marketing strategy that's perfect for newbies to start making money online promoting CPA Offers...

Interested, connect with me on Telegram @digitalmonster24 . Add me and chat up to get this CPA Mentorship Training...It's just for a token fee as a commitment, The aim is not for the profit, but to teach alots of people about CPA Marketing...

Take a look at my earnings from the attached files, in a matter of days implementing this strategy.... Not We are in the festive season, and those CPA offers would be converting great.

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Fiscus105(m): 2:41pm On Nov 07, 2022
Pojomojo:
First, Why do both managers need to fight on who to manage Payroll when it is actually the responsibility of both parties to ensure that all staff salaries and allowances are paid accurately, and as and when due.

Payroll Management overlaps between HRM and FM, however, given that HRM is the People Business Partner, we can deduce that the primary responsibility of ensuring that all staff get what is due to them as compensation lies with the HRM.

For Preparation of the Payroll, it is better that the process is managed by the HRM given that it has all information regarding entry and exit of staff, as well as, who deserves to get what, from time to time.

The FM comes in when it comes to establishing the processes (building the Payroll Sheet or System) and advising on necessary developments as it relates to statutory compliance on a regular basis.

In practice, from both my local and international experience, I have seen that the HRM manages Payroll, while the FM reviews and disburse accordingly.

Given my above points and practical experience, I'd say the primary responsibility of Payroll Management falls on the lap of the HRM with the FM providing necessary and strategic reviews and input from time to time.

Oga, though part of work (secondary assignment) of HR is to oversee payroll, but the officer who is directly in charge of payroll management is "finance manager". Infact, the nomenclature of the two offices are self explanatory.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by firdouz: 2:41pm On Nov 07, 2022
The HRM holds the responsibility of management of the payroll. However, this is subject to advice of the appropriate rates on NHF, PAYE and PENSION by the Finance department.

The duty of the finance department here is advisory and also ensure timely remitances and avoid regulatory contraventions as the case maybe.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by aviara: 2:45pm On Nov 07, 2022
HRM computes hours worked and other staff entitlements and communicates this to FM who will work on it to accommodate other statutory deductions before forwarding it to the CEO for final approvals.

So the process lies between the HRM and FM and also serves as checks and balance to avoid fraud

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by SocialJustice: 2:45pm On Nov 07, 2022
Stupid super story. HR handles recruitment and staff management. Finance manages inflows and outflows.

3 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by ednut1(m): 2:46pm On Nov 07, 2022
Rubyjade:
educative................ My sis once worked in a place where she earn 130k gross but her net was 114 and some fractions and I told her they are cheating her. She said they pay pension, NHS and PAYE, even at that I still told her net should be around 121 and some fractions. This will ONLY happen in an organisation where the HR does not understand the finance act 2020
tax of 9k on 130k. What are you smoking bro

5 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Kobicove(m): 2:47pm On Nov 07, 2022
Theoretically speaking it is the responsibility of HR to manage payroll but what obtains in reality in most instances is that payroll is managed by the Finance department in most organisations
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by ednut1(m): 2:47pm On Nov 07, 2022
This is a no brainer. It should start from hr and end with finance.
Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by gentle007(m): 2:50pm On Nov 07, 2022
Rubyjade:
Jesus! Let's assume that they are cheating her, and you believe her take home should be 121, then how much is paye and how much is pension?

3 Likes

Re: Who Should Be Responsible For Payroll Management by Propsad1: 2:52pm On Nov 07, 2022
Both have a role they both need to play. It actually starts from HR and ends with FM

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

United Nations Children's Fund (UNICEF) Latest Job Recruitment / Capricorn Digital Limited (CDL) Graduate Job Recruitment - Over 40 Openings / Rewrite Your CV (FREE GMAT Available)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.