Stats: 3,152,461 members, 7,816,082 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 03:19 AM

Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa (783 Views)

Russian Cats Sanctioned & Banned By US, EU & FIFE (Photos) / China Opposes US, EU Sanctions Against Russia ( Pix, Video) / Iran Unveils New Ballistic Missile That Could Destroy US Bases In The Gulf (Pix) (2) (3) (4)

Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 3:56pm On Nov 06, 2022
What makes this horn of Africa nation attractive to global military powers?
The horn of Africa comprises of these countries Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Seychelles, and Kenya.
Ethiopia Accused the US, and EU of supporting Tigray Rebels, Djibouti also provides a vital port for landlocked neighbor Ethiopia
Somalia, to the southeast, has been a hotbed of unrest - Biden in May approved plans to redeploy US troops to Somalia.
Yemen, currently in conflict, is less than 20 miles northeast across the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait - also an easy pathway into the Middle East.

Djibouti, a small country on the Red Sea, is home to military bases from the US and France, for many reasons but one could be the fact that China's interest is now becoming increasingly apparent.
US pays $63m annually in rent for its base and the Chinese will bring in $100m for theirs, in addition to their ongoing infrastructure projects so it is not difficult to see why Djibouti is looking past the rivalries of the global powers and enjoying its lucrative role as their landlord.
Chinese-led infrastructure projects - including the construction of air and maritime ports - are present here, just as they are elsewhere in Africa.
The presence of the US army in the Horn of Africa appears to be a destabilizing force in the internal affairs of the region's governments.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by incandescentena: 4:06pm On Nov 06, 2022
So their missiles can reach all corners when launched

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithti(m): 8:07am On Nov 07, 2022
They are there as the same reason as the Chinese.
Combat piracy.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithti(m): 8:13am On Nov 07, 2022
Oga the US are not allowed to leave there base except with special notice.

Don't do what you want to do,it's not smart.
The US has no influence on the Djibouti government,if it had there would have been no Chinese base there
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithful007: 8:22am On Nov 07, 2022
Internet kids who have no knowledge of geopolitics always talk shit all the time. The Horn of Africa is a vital route for trading between the West and China as well as the rest of Asia. Piracy at the horn of Africa is a serious issue that can cripple those powerful economies and put their citizens in danger. As a result, many trading countries entered an agreement with Djibouti to host Naval and air bases in the country.

Not only the US, there is a Chinese base, an Italian base, a French base and a Japanese base. They are there to provide quick response for their countries flagged merchant ships or interests under attack because these countries carry out majority of world trade and shipping.

It is the same thing as putting checkpoints on a road notorious for roadside abductions.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 8:26am On Nov 07, 2022
I think you actually believe the things you just said on this thread. angry
I'm baffled undecided

Faithti:
They are there as the same reason as the Chinese.
Combat piracy.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Nobody: 8:33am On Nov 07, 2022
Faithti:
Oga the US are not allowed to leave there base except with special notice.

Don't do what you want to do,it's not smart.
The US has no influence on the Djibouti government,if it had there would have been no Chinese base there

see u talking nonsense, US has interests militarily, no European country comes t ur country to make it beneficial, they all have interests and no particular
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 9:06am On Nov 07, 2022
Spoken like a truly naive person, just here to regurgitate the western narrative
''We are here to fight piracy'' ''And terrorists''
''You create a problem that only can solve, then you just out of the burning bush[you're the arsonist] and say ''I'm here to help and you dare not say no''
It's akin to peeing on you and telling you it's raining.

Faithful007:
Internet kids who have no knowledge of geopolitics always talk shit all the time. The Horn of Africa is a vital route for trading between the West and China as well as the rest of Asia. Piracy at the horn of Africa is a serious issue that can cripple those powerful economies and put their citizens in danger. As a result, many trading countries entered an agreement with Djibouti to host Naval and air bases in the country.

Not only the US, there is a Chinese base, an Italian base, a French base and a Japanese base. They are there to provide quick response for their countries flagged merchant ships or interests under attack because these countries carry out majority of world trade and shipping.

It is the same thing as putting checkpoints on a road notorious for roadside abductions.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithful007: 9:24am On Nov 07, 2022
bn365:
Spoken like a truly naive person, just here to regurgitate the western narrative
''We are here to fight piracy'' ''And terrorists''
''You create a problem that only can solve, then you just out of the burning bush[you're the arsonist] and say ''I'm here to help and you dare not say no''
It's akin to peeing on you and telling you it's raining.

I don't argue with fools. Djibouti is not complaining. Security wise they are better than Nigeria.

The US alone pays 60 million dollars every year in rent to the Djibouti government for the base. Other countries too pay rent. They're reaping the benefits of being close to a trading route. Sit in your parents house and continue complaining for those who are busy enjoying themselves.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithti(m): 10:17am On Nov 07, 2022
bn365:
I think you actually believe the things you just said on this thread. angry
I'm baffled undecided

Can you please tell me why the Chinese are there.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 10:17am On Nov 07, 2022
You're dumb, obviously!
The US tried to set up bases in Ghana and Nigeria, I wonder why the offer was turned down when other people are ''enjoying'' themselves?
They set up their base in Niger.
Do you think any Djiboutian politician can ask the US to leave? Would the US meddle in such an election if that politician has a chance of winning?
Do you think the US would hesitate to sabotage Russian oil tankers in this ''trade route"? Do you think the Somalian govt invited the US army? Do you think the Ethiopian govt appreciates the US army presence in their neighborhood? What do you think that does to the relations between the two neighbors?
Geo-politics is not your forte, you think US interests align with your own interest?

Faithful007:
I don't argue with fools. Djibouti is not complaining. Security wise they are better than Nigeria.

The US alone pays 60 million dollars every year in rent to the Djibouti government for the base. Other countries too pay rent. They're reaping the benefits of being close to a trading route. Sit in your parents house and continue complaining for those who are busy enjoying themselves.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 10:46am On Nov 07, 2022
I don't know why the Chinese are there and all over the rest of Africa but the Chinese help build, railways, ports etc
I would like you to name one infrastructure built by the US
I'll wait
I see what the Chinese govt is doing to its people. It's disgusting when folks like me point out what the US is doing, and people suddenly have issues or dismiss it.

Faithti:
Can you please tell me why the Chinese are there.

Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithti(m): 11:20am On Nov 07, 2022
bn365:
I don't know why the Chinese are there and all over the rest of Africa.

Are you serious right now, like you don't know why they are in Africa and you came here to rant?
You my friend,just outperformed president zelensky as the comedian of the year.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by bn365: 11:26am On Nov 07, 2022
And you obviously know why the Chinese govt is in Africa? Did you read their manifesto or something?
Objectives of any govt trying to gain influence are often hidden. You don't take them at face value
So, it's a dance. A ying-yang.
Give and take
So, I asked you, to name one infrastructure built by the US, and this time, do answer
The US policy of keeping Africa depopulated, down and poor is a stated policy [Henry Kissinger report]

Faithti:
Are you serious right now, like you don't know why they are in Africa and you came here to rant?
You my friend,just outperformed president zelensky as the comedian of the year.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by Faithti(m): 11:41am On Nov 07, 2022
[quote author=bn365 post=1181919

[/quote]Bro what we should be thinking now is how to get out of the grips of all this bastards,
Not choosing sides.none of them love us,we are pawns in there hands so my brother wise up.
Re: Why Are There So Many US /EU Military Bases In Djibouti? - Horn Of Africa by panafrican(m): 12:21am On Nov 08, 2022
bn365:
What makes this horn of Africa nation attractive to global military powers?
The horn of Africa comprises of these countries Sudan, Somalia, Djibouti, Ethiopia, Eritrea, Seychelles, and Kenya.
Ethiopia Accused the US, and EU of supporting Tigray Rebels, Djibouti also provides a vital port for landlocked neighbor Ethiopia
Somalia, to the southeast, has been a hotbed of unrest - Biden in May approved plans to redeploy US troops to Somalia.
Yemen, currently in conflict, is less than 20 miles northeast across the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait - also an easy pathway into the Middle East.

Djibouti, a small country on the Red Sea, is home to military bases from the US and France, for many reasons but one could be the fact that China's interest is now becoming increasingly apparent.
US pays $63m annually in rent for its base and the Chinese will bring in $100m for theirs, in addition to their ongoing infrastructure projects so it is not difficult to see why Djibouti is looking past the rivalries of the global powers and enjoying its lucrative role as their landlord.
Chinese-led infrastructure projects - including the construction of air and maritime ports - are present here, just as they are elsewhere in Africa.
The presence of the US army in the Horn of Africa appears to be a destabilizing force in the internal affairs of the region's governments.

Some of the reasons of the military presence in Djibouti on the shore of the red sea,
1. Suez Canal.
France, UK and Israel failed in their attempt to seize the Suez Canal in 1956. Had they succeeded, them and the US would be
controlling the main road to the Middle East oil today. And they would surely make billions taxing all the boats passing there.
The West is still angry about that missed opportunity. So what can some of them do ? Well , getting closer to the canal through "bilateral" agreements on military bases . The main goal being to still keep a close eye on that route and forcibly use it in case of an all-out war.

2. Spy on Iran , Iraq, Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Kenya and other East African countries.

3. Be able to quickly intervene in the India ocean including the eastern coast of Africa against China, India, Iran and Russia.

"I Hope He Wasnt Hurt" - Donald Trump Reacts To President Biden Stage Fall (vid) / Ukraine Downs 3 Russian Su-34 In A Day With Patriot Air Defense / Mccain Is My Main Guy!