Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,840 members, 7,862,752 topics. Date: Monday, 17 June 2024 at 04:48 AM

How To Get A Stuck Oil Drain Plug Out - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / How To Get A Stuck Oil Drain Plug Out (116 Views)

Effect Of Stuck Oil Drain To Car / Advantages Of An Oil Drain Machine / How Can I Loose A Stuck Plug On My V6 Honda (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How To Get A Stuck Oil Drain Plug Out by autoremedy365: 2:27pm On Nov 08, 2022
When I learned how to change my oil, the first time I did it, I thought it was going to be a breeze. In reality, however, it wasn't quite as easy as the YouTube video made it seem. After spending hours attempting to remove my drain plug with no luck, I was ready to give up on this whole car thing altogether. But then I realized that there were other ways that I could remove that stubborn piece of metal from inside my engine and get back on track with changing my own oil (and saving money while doing so).

1. Warm up the oil.

• Heat up the oil. This is generally done with a heat gun, blow dryer or small torch. Do not use an open flame or boiling water as it can cause damage to your car and its components. Using hot water could also cause contamination inside the engine when it cools down again. You can also use a hairdryer on high heat but do so carefully to avoid scorching the paintwork or rubber seals around the drain plug hole in particular.

2. Apply penetrating lubricant.

You can use a penetrating lubricant, such as Liquid Wrench or WD40. Apply the lubricant directly to the plug and let it sit for 15 minutes before trying again to remove it. If this doesn't work, repeat this step again and try loosening the drain plug after waiting another 10 minutes if needed.

3. Remove any rust with an abrasive pad.

If you are dealing with rust, then you should try to remove it first. If you have a wire brush, use that to clean away as much rust as possible from the drain plug and around its threads. You can also use sandpaper or a wire brush with lubricant to do this.

4. Break it loose with a hammer and screwdriver.

This is the most aggressive method, and you should only use it as a last resort.
• Use a hammer and screwdriver to loosen the drain plug.
• Place the tip of your screwdriver into the drain plug, then tap it gently with your hammer until you feel it catch on something inside the plug. You may need to go back and forth between tapping and trying to turn with your wrench in order to break loose whatever is preventing you from removing it. If you're unable to find anything that will slow down enough for you to turn by hand, try applying gentle pressure first before hitting hard enough for your tool's tip to get caught on something inside. The idea here is not so much about breaking through whatever has gummed up this process (though sometimes this happens), but rather loosening and clearing out any debris from around where things are stuck together so that further attempts at removal will be easier--and less likely--to damage either part or cause injury while doing so
Read More : https://autoremedy365.com/how-to-get-a-stuck-oil-drain-plug-out/

(1) (Reply)

Make Money Referring Us / New And Genuine Toyota Spare Parts / New And Genuine Toyota Spare Parts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.