Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,211 members, 7,818,714 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:36 PM

What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. (155 Views)

Flourish Food Packs Now Accepting Distributors For Takeaway And Other Products / The Tecno’s Transsion 48.7% Market Share In Africa / Huobi Global Elite Program (win More And Share In A Global Profit) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. by Oyindamolah: 9:48am On Nov 09, 2022
Few hours after I paid #4 Million Naira to lease a Petrol Station, I received a bombshell.

My friend who found out told me that the underground tank was leaking.

That was the reason why the Owner wanted to lease/sell the Filling Station.

The next day my Engineer confirmed that the underground tank was leaking.

Any petroleum product stored in the tank would leak out which would be a big loss for my business.

I couldn't believe I just made a big error.

I didn't inspect the tank before making payment. So I demanded repair of the tank or full refund of my money.

The Owner through his lawyer told me in a letter that I was bound to complete the payment because it was my duty to inspect the property.

My head was spinning when I read the letter. The cost of repairing the tank is about #1 Million and I can't even afford that.

I engaged the services of Sesi, a lawyer that was highly recommended by close friends.

''Investor Jimi you made a big error by not inspecting the property properly before you paid.

The second error was not documenting the transaction even though you are paying in instalments.

But this is not a hopeless case."

Two weeks later, Sesi successfully brokered a deal that solved the problem.

The Property Owner would extend the lease by an extra year which I won't pay for.

The money for the extra year would be used to fix the defect in the storage tank.

Sesi left me with an admonition before we parted ways:

''Investor Jimi, never conclude any real estate transaction without documenting it. Otherwise, you'll be shooting yourself in the foot."

I hope you also take this lesson seriously!

What's your takeaway from my story? Please share in the comments section.
Re: What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. by Zonefree(m): 9:57am On Nov 09, 2022
There's always a clause in every business transaction "caveat emptor"(Buyers Beware). The seller is not obligated to disclose any defect to his goods/services to the buyer. It is the duty of the buyer to make enquiries and inspect the goods before making payment.

The only transaction that demands "uberrimae fidei" (Utmost good faith) is insurance policy.

I'm glad He later agreed to be merciful to you by deferring a year payment for your laxity.

2 Likes

Re: What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. by Boomboost(m): 10:13am On Nov 09, 2022
Zonefree:
There's always a clause in every business transaction "caveat emptor"(Buyers Beware). The seller is not obligated to disclose any defect to his goods/services to the buyer. It is the duty of the buyer to make enquiries and inspect the goods before making payment.

The only transaction that demands "uberrimae fidei" (Utmost good faith) is insurance policy.

I'm glad He later agreed to be merciful to you by deferring a year payment for your laxity.

...hope this non-obligation doesn't include Vendors here on NL?

It's fraudulent to sell defective stuff while having the buyer think it's problem-free. If it were Boom, I'd have the seller feel my pain when the lease is over.
Re: What's Your Takeaway From My Story? Please Share In The Comments Section. by Zonefree(m): 10:24am On Nov 09, 2022
Boomboost:

...hope this non-obligation doesn't include Vendors here on NL?

It's fraudulent to sell defective stuff while having the buyer think it's problem-free. If it were Boom, I'd have the seller feel my pain when the lease is over.
Why do you think most banks don't take actions when one reports being defrauded? The bank will rather direct you to EFCC. In a business transaction, you're expected to carry out diligent inspection of the goods and the seller also. The mere words of a seller is nothing in court of law unless it's documented.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

CBN To Banks – Work On Saturdays Until January 2023 / Hair Business Start With As Low As N10,000 - How? / Paypal Funds Available. 850 Naira Per Paypal Dollar. Escrow ONLY!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.