Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,826 members, 7,820,905 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:45 AM

All Mental Health issues Are Not Spiritual, We Must Know This As A Church - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / All Mental Health issues Are Not Spiritual, We Must Know This As A Church (299 Views)

Nigeria Is Only Religious Not Spiritual / Daddy Freeze " Saul Conversation To Paul Is Political Not Spiritual" / Shiite Muslims In Jos Celebrate Christmas In A Church With Christians Photos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

All Mental Health issues Are Not Spiritual, We Must Know This As A Church by IrepChrist: 1:29pm On Nov 12, 2022
*1 Kings 19: 4*
But he himself went a day’s journey into the wilderness, and came and sat down under a juniper tree; and he requested for himself that he might die, and said, “It is enough! Now, O Lord, take away my life, for I am not better than my fathers.”

Elijah the prophet wanted to die. He asked God to take his life because he had come to the conclusion that he was a failure. Elijah had just been victorious in the showdown with the 450 prophets of Baal on Mount Carmel. God had sent fire down from heaven to consume Elijah’s sacrifice (see I Kings 18:17-40).

In addition, the prophet had predicted a terrible famine, and the Lord had not sent rain for three years. After that time, Elijah prayed for rain, and God produced a torrential downpour (see vv. 41-46). God was working mightily through His servant Elijah. This made him very unpopular with Ahab and Jezebel, the wicked king and queen of Israel. We read in I Kings 19:1-3:

And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword. Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there.

When Elijah heard Jezebel’s death threat, he fled for his life.
He traveled about 100 miles from Jezreel down to Beersheba, located along the outer border of Israel.
Considering all the powerful works the Lord had just performed through Elijah, it is hard to understand why the prophet didn’t stay and face Jezebel, trusting God to protect him. Instead, he fled into the wilderness and requested to die.

We can say he became lonely and somewhat depressed. But God encouraged him through the ministry of an angel.

Mental Health issues are extremely serious and sensitive issues. Depression is real and suicide cases are on the rise, especially amongst our youth.

Please, no matter what you may be going through do not give in to the voice in your head suggesting that you end it all.

Suicide doesn't solve but instead multiplies the problem. Besides, a living dog is still better than a dead lion.

Please let us endeavour to look out for one another. Things may be rough today but there surely is hope in our future, and it shall be well in the end.
God bless you.
Re: All Mental Health issues Are Not Spiritual, We Must Know This As A Church by Kobojunkie: 2:28am On Jan 14, 2023
IrepChrist:
■And Ahab told Jezebel all that Elijah had done, and withal how he had slain all the prophets with the sword. Then Jezebel sent a messenger unto Elijah, saying, So let the gods do to me, and more also, if I make not thy life as the life of one of them by to morrow about this time. And when he saw that, he arose, and went for his life, and came to Beersheba, which belongeth to Judah, and left his servant there. When Elijah heard Jezebel’s death threat, he fled for his life. He traveled about 100 miles from Jezreel down to Beersheba, located along the outer border of Israel. Considering all the powerful works the Lord had just performed through Elijah, it is hard to understand why the prophet didn’t stay and face Jezebel, trusting God to protect him. Instead, he fled into the wilderness and requested to die. We can say he became lonely and somewhat depressed. But God encouraged him through the ministry of an angel.
■Mental Health issues are extremely serious and sensitive issues. Depression is real and suicide cases are on the rise, especially amongst our youth. Please, no matter what you may be going through do not give in to the voice in your head suggesting that you end it all. Suicide doesn't solve but instead multiplies the problem. Besides, a living dog is still better than a dead lion. Please let us endeavour to look out for one another. Things may be rough today but there surely is hope in our future, and it shall be well in the end. God bless you.
1. Elijah traveled 100 miles by foot or chariot or wetin? undecided

Do you say God encouraged Elijah? God did more than that for Elijah. God spared Elijah from the wrath of Ahab's wife, Jezebel which had terrified Him. Of course, God later returned him, Elijah, as John so they could do to him what they had wanted to do to him. By then, Elijah as John was finally ready to face the music. That is what Jesus Christ said in Matthew 17 vs 12 undecided
10 The followers asked Jesus, “Why do the teachers of the law say that Elijah must come[a] before the Messiah comes?”
11 Jesus answered, “They are right to say Elijah is coming. And it is true that Elijah will make all things the way they should be.
12 But I tell you, Elijah has already come. People did not know who he was, and they treated him badly, doing whatever they wanted to do. It is the same with the Son of Man. Those same people will make the Son of Man suffer.”
13 Then the followers understood that when Jesus said Elijah, he was really talking about John the Baptizer. - Matthew 17 vs 10 - 13
And yes, mental illness is not some sort of sickness that only happens to those we love to hate. It happens to all, even the very best of us. Apart from Elijah, other possibly depressed prophets were Moses and Jeremiah, and then there was Ezekiel whom God seemed to have spared the torment of depression completely. So those who claim mental illness undecided

2. The depressed don't reason in the same way that you do. They would rather choose death than live like dogs. undecided

(1) (Reply)

43rd Supreme Council Convention Of Knights Of St Mulumba To Hold In Abuja / Spiritual Meaning Of Fish In Dream / Pregnant Woman That Cheated With Her Pastor- Pastor's Side Of The Story I(leaked

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.