Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,972 members, 7,817,858 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 09:22 PM

How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History (429 Views)

Three Tanzanian Soldiers Killed In The Democratic Republic Of Congo / Picture Of Joe Biden And A Group Of Women / China Secretly Tested 2 Hypersonic Nuke Missiles That Defied The Laws Of Physics (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by joelbooks: 8:26pm On Nov 13, 2022
President Joe Biden and the Democratic Party have pulled off a midterm election for the record books.

Democrats have retained the Senate – doing no worse than holding steady at 50 seats and potentially gaining one – and look likely to keep any net losses in the House in the single digits.

Midterms are supposed to be the time for the opposition party to shine. That should especially be the case when there is once-in-a-generation inflation and when the vast majority of Americans think the country is on the wrong track.

Instead, Biden and the Democrats are in a position to have one of the four best midterms for the party controlling the White House in the last century.

So just what happened? It’s pretty clear that general election voters punished Republican candidates they saw as too extreme – on issues such as abortion and/or for being too closely tied to former President Donald Trump.

Still, the election results were extremely unusual. I went back through the record books. Since 1922, there have been three previous instances of the president’s party gaining (or losing no) Senate seats and losing fewer than 10 House seats in the president’s first midterm.

All of them – 1934, 1962 and 2002 – are thought to be monumental achievements for the president’s party and major exceptions to rule, which suggests the party controlling the White House usually loses seats in a midterm.

https://www.cnn.com/2022/11/13/politics/democrats-biden-midterm-elections-senate-house/index.html

Re: How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by cactus1549: 8:28pm On Nov 13, 2022
Rigged election

3 Likes

Re: How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by naijapips04: 8:42pm On Nov 13, 2022
They didn't defy anything. Election was rigged. They machines were stuffed with fake mailed ballots.

2 Likes

Re: How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by ganisucks(f): 8:48pm On Nov 13, 2022
naijapips04:
They didn't defy anything. Election was rigged. They machines were stuffed with fake mailed ballots.

This is Nairaland not Americaland.

1 Like

Re: How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by naijapips04: 8:50pm On Nov 13, 2022
ganisucks:

This is Nairaland not Americaland.

I hope you follow Kano pillars not man u on your Nairaland.

2 Likes

Re: How Joe Biden And The Democratic Party Defied Midterm History by ganisucks(f): 9:09pm On Nov 13, 2022
naijapips04:

I hope you follow Kano pillars not man u on your Nairaland.
I'm not a football enthusiast. I prefer ludo and scrabble.

(1) (Reply)

How Dare Ghana? / Russia Prepare For The Largest Offensive In Ukraine / Tunisians Should Go Back To The Arabic Peninsula.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.