Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,623 members, 7,820,207 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:21 AM

Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt (12268 Views)

Peter Obi Never Said He Will Remove Subsidy Immediately / “Keep Spending Old Naira” – El-Rufai Tells Kaduna Residents / Remove Petrol Subsidy, Implement PIA, LCCI Tells FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by One4me: 11:45am On Nov 15, 2022
galaxy2020:
See mumu, it took you over 7years as governor of Kaduna state to realise this?

Dont blame him, he was too busy Fulanising Southern Kaduna, with unending Fulani Herdsmen Attack, backed by the State Govt apparatus

1 Like

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by ALTERNATEID: 11:51am On Nov 15, 2022
It should be removed after the general election.
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by IbeOkehie: 12:04pm On Nov 15, 2022
It's a pity Nigerians in general don't seem to understand their own country so how can they understand the particular political structures,
laws or economic policies that determine the outcomes.

I don't even know where to start so I'll just have to repeat something I posted on another thread on just one facet of the issue. MAYBE it will get people thinking more logically.

One of the popular beliefs in Nigeria is that refining petrol in Nigeria will make fuel cheaper, eliminating the need for subsidy. That is NOT true.

First of all fuel subsidies started in Nigeria back when the refineries were working, as far back as the 1970's. Back in 1984 the IMF was pleading with this same President Buhari to abolish fuel subsidies. Subsidy is a CHOICE.

Actually there's nothing wrong with importing petroleum products or even crude oil. Massive importation is a sign of prosperity. The USA is one of the largest producers of crude oil in the world and ALSO one of the largest importers of crude oil. In fact it's one of the largest importers of EVERYTHING you can think of. Just food is a good example, the USA is one of the greatest and most productive farming nations in history, yet it still imports massive amounts of food. And clothing, shoes, electronics etc.

Think about it. What if Nigeria has so many factories and transportation vehicles that it can't produce enough crude oil to satisfy the need inside the country?

Put another way, what if Nigerian general productivity is so much that our crude oil reserves can't satisfy the needs INSIDE the country? Nigeria will then have to import. It's logical, that's why the USA imports. The crude oil is used as a raw material to produce other things that are sold for profit. So the nation prospers.

Let's think through things properly before condemnation. I say it again, Nigerians are a funny people grin
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Mitsurugi(m): 12:18pm On Nov 15, 2022
clinician2x:

So removing fuel subsidy will stop the embezzlement is that your point?

Yes.

1 Like

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by iwaeda: 12:21pm On Nov 15, 2022
Opinedecandid:

PMS that 10k gave me 41 litters this morning in Uyo? That's 240/litter

After they deceived gullible at Ojota grin grin grin
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Nobody: 12:28pm On Nov 15, 2022
grandstar:

It will not birth hyper inflation.

Inflation will be one off.

What most people fail to realisw is that the prices of diesel and kerosene are already deregulated. There's no subsidy on them and no one has died.

How can more money be spent on subsidy than on education and health combined? It's food for thought.

Here Is the problem with you evil and emptyhead beings. You mean no one has died from the exorbitant price of Diesel & Kero.

Do you know how many business that have folded up between december and now?

Do you know how many companies who have retrenched their staffs and also cut the salaries of the staff retained?

Do you know how many streets lights that have been off since december and now?

This Is Just few of many WOES people are going through. I for one Just discovered that kerosene Is now sold for N800. I almost got shivering. I Just wanted to use It for painting purpose.

See If I should cast a SPELL on you, Believe me It will absolutely manifest. You people would turn blind eye to the ugly situation happening In your midst. It will never be well with you and your likes..

4 Likes

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by iwaeda: 12:34pm On Nov 15, 2022
IbeOkehie:
It's a pity Nigerians in general don't seem to understand their own country so how can they understand the particular political structures,

I don't even know where to start so I'll just have to repeat something I posted on another thread on just one facet of the issue. MAYBE it will get people thinking more logically.

One of the popular beliefs in Nigeria is that refining petrol in Nigeria will make fuel cheaper, eliminating the need for subsidy. That is NOT true.

First of all fuel subsidies started in Nigeria back when the refineries were working, as far back as the 1970's. Back in 1984 the IMF was pleading with this same President Buhari to abolish fuel subsidies. Subsidy is a CHOICE.

Actually there's nothing wrong with importing petroleum products or even crude oil. Massive importation is a sign of prosperity. The USA is one of the largest producers of crude oil in the world and ALSO one of the largest importers of crude oil. In fact it's one of the largest importers of EVERYTHING you can think of. Just food is a good example, the USA is one of the greatest and most productive farming nations in history, yet it still imports massive amounts of food. And clothing, shoes, electronics etc.

Think about it. What if Nigeria has so many factories and transportation vehicles that it can't produce enough crude oil to satisfy the need inside the country?

Put another way, what if Nigerian general productivity is so much that our crude oil reserves can't satisfy the needs INSIDE the country? Nigeria will then have to import. It's logical, that's why the USA imports. The crude oil is used as a raw material to produce other things that are sold for profit. So the nation prospers.

Let's think through things properly before condemnation. I say it again, Nigerians are a funny people grin

You know nothing about economics, refining here will take away cost of sending crudes abroad, eliminate transporting, shipping back and cost of freight to loading bays, customs illegal charges. Remove all these extra charges angry grin angry angry
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Nobody: 12:42pm On Nov 15, 2022
IbeOkehie:

You made sense with part of your write up concerning the US while you ended up typing gibberish about Nigeria's Situation..
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by IbeOkehie: 12:45pm On Nov 15, 2022
Evolutionlove:

Here Is the problem with you evil and emptyhead beings. You mean no one has died from the exorbitant price of Diesel & Kero.

Do you know how many business that have folded up between december and now?

Do you know how many companies who have retrenched their staffs and also cut the salaries of the staff retained?

Do you know how many streets lights that have been off since december and now?

This Is Just few of many WOES people are going through. I for one Just discovered that kerosene Is now sold for N800. I almost got shivering. I Just wanted to use It for painting purpose.

That's the normal way sustainable economies are built over the long term. It's a natural part of life. You suffer and then reap rewards.

I remember when government used to subsidize TELECOMS SERVICES in Nigeria. The government owned the ONLY phone company in Nigeria, the price of phone line was cheap at about 5K but somehow only rich people had phone.

Ordinary people like you said that if the telecoms market is privatized, poor people will not ever get phone.

When phone subsidy was abolished MTN came out with phone line at cost of 50K.

Today what is the cost of phone line? Almost every adult has phone too.

Same thing with cement by the way.

Same thing happened with TV and radio.

Same thing will happen with petrol and university education and forex and rice. Abolish all government subsidy and price regulations and all these things will become cheap and available for the common man.

Anyway Nigerians can do as they wish. They voted out the party and President that wanted to abolish subsidy in 2015, how far? grin
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by IbeOkehie: 1:29pm On Nov 15, 2022
iwaeda:

You know nothing about economics, refining here will take away cost of sending crudes abroad, eliminate transporting, shipping back and cost of freight to loading bays, customs illegal charges. Remove all these extra charges angry grin angry angry

The cost of fuel is set on a world wide market. The costs of shipping, freight and customs are not a significant determinant of prices. If subsidy is abolished and ALL the refineries in Nigeria, including Dangote, start producing at full capacity, the cost of petrol at your local filling station will still be close to the world price.

Think about this. If world petrol price remains at the current ₦‎450 and the local price in Nigeria is ₦‎165 or even ₦‎250, what do you think Dangote will do?

He will EXPORT all his products abroad to get the better price. The ONLY WAY he will sell in Nigeria is if government pays him the difference, to make up for his losses. That is to say, the Government of Nigeria will pay FUEL SUBSIDY directly to Dangote. And then Nigerians will buy the fuel at the pump and smuggle to Benin Republic and Cameroun and you're back to the same problem of SCARCITY.

Come on man, it's not that hard to understand. High prices encourage local production. The problem in Nigeria right now is government fixes a lot of prices so suppliers refuse to supply.
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by akbonus: 1:39pm On Nov 15, 2022
THIS SHORT DEVIL WHO HAS BEEN LIVING ON EVERYTHING FREE SINCE 1999 IS OPENING HIS USELESS TERRORIST MOUTH TO ASK FOR THE REMOVAL OF SUBSIDY?IT IS NOT YOUR FAULT AT ALL,"HELL ROOF EYE"IF THIS COUNTRY DON'T CHANGE LEADERSHIP COME NEXT YEAR, THEN WE SHOULD SPLIT PEACEFULLY INTO SIX REGIONAL GOVERNMENT AND EACH PAY TAX TO THE CENTRE.STOOPID STOOPID HELL ROOFAI.

2 Likes

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Selfmotivated: 1:49pm On Nov 15, 2022
nedu666:
Kerosene without subsidy 800 naira
Diesel without subsidy 830 naira
Fuel without subsidy...... u know the answer
If fuel subsidy is removed it will be very bloody worst than endsars protest.

1 Like

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Brushstrokes20: 1:53pm On Nov 15, 2022
El midget is hell bent on sealing the coffin of it's satanic, sadistic, lifeless govt of self serving THIEVES AND BLOODTHIRSTY TERRORISTS undecided...
Bring it on!
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by iwaeda: 1:56pm On Nov 15, 2022
IbeOkehie:

The cost of fuel is set on a world wide market. The costs of shipping, freight and customs are not a significant determinant of prices. If subsidy is abolished and ALL the refineries in Nigeria, including Dangote, start producing at full capacity, the cost of petrol at your local filling station will still be close to the world price.

Think about this. If world petrol price remains at the current ₦‎450 and the local price in Nigeria is ₦‎165 or even ₦‎250, what do you think Dangote will do?

He will EXPORT all his products abroad to get the better price. The ONLY WAY he will sell in Nigeria is if government pays him the difference, to make up for his losses. That is to say, the Government of Nigeria will pay FUEL SUBSIDY directly to Dangote. And then Nigerians will buy the fuel at the pump and smuggle to Benin Republic and Cameroun and you're back to the same problem of SCARCITY.

Come on man, it's not that hard to understand. High prices encourage local production. The problem in Nigeria right now is government fixes a lot of prices so suppliers refuse to supply.

You don't know economics, if we have refineries, all those costs will be off.

1 Like

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Hier(m): 2:57pm On Nov 15, 2022
Bodexinvest:
Would there be any need for subsidy if we refine petrol locally? What is wrong with this country?

Those enjoying the proceeds from the subsidy won't want it to go away anytime soon

1 Like

Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Hier(m): 3:07pm On Nov 15, 2022
IbeOkehie:

If we have enough refineries to meet local use and yea, electricity, if there is enough power, most of the fuel consumption are used for powering electricity, gen etc.

Dangote should sell to who he pleases, my own is, enough fuel for local production, enough power supply, we would cut total demand by half if we can improve on our power generation. Just as easy as that
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by IbeOkehie: 3:08pm On Nov 15, 2022
iwaeda:

You don't know economics, if we have refineries, all those costs will be off.

Okay! Thanks!

grin cheesy grin
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Nobody: 4:03pm On Nov 15, 2022
Mitsurugi:
This APC is shameless. These are the same people that fought GEJ back then over this same issue. So the chicken has finally come home to roost. In time Nigerians will truly discover that APC was the biggest scam ever to happen to us all. That is why either LP or PDP must win. APC's nyash must be exposed in the sunlight so that the ngenes, the honorable vulture griller and his ilk can disable their accounts once and for all.
There is nothing honourable about the idiot griller
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by Munzy14(m): 4:09pm On Nov 15, 2022
Fuel is 250/litre already..That one still get subsidy? undecided

In naija If you get V6 or V8, you go still gey v4 to support family economy..
Re: Remove Petrol Subsidy Immediately – El-Rufai Tells Buhari Govt by KennethEnyi(m): 6:01pm On Nov 15, 2022
Useless country if u remove subsidy how will the industry support itself
Useless foolish old bastard

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Any LP Member Calling For Interim Govt Should Be Arrested – Arabambi / The First Clueless Statement Of Buhari / Sanwo-Olu Launches N4bn LSETF-W Initiative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.