Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,185 members, 7,818,599 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) (2889 Views)

Moment Tourists Woke Up To 3 Lions Licking Water Off Their Tent In Botswana (vid / Lions Nap On Road In South Africa During Lockdown (Photos) / Otedola Bridge Lagos Tanker Fire: Man Narrates How He Escaped (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 3:14pm On Nov 15, 2022
Three lions that strayed from the Kruger National Park (KNP) on Friday were captured on Monday and returned to the park.

They were darted from a helicopter near the Sabie Sand Nature Reserve.

“We received alerts from community members of their sighting on Saturday around 10pm. They moved out through the Paul Kruger gate towards Elephant Point and were seen in the farm area,” said SANParks spokesperson Ike Phaahla, adding that a search was launched.

How they were captured

Veterinarian Dr Lufuno Netshitavhadulu recounted the capture.

“It took us the whole day. We got there around 11am in the morning. We had community members who helped track them. In the afternoon some of the guys followed the spoor and found the lions deep in the bush. We decided to call in the helicopter, to dart them from the helicopter,” he said.

“It wasn’t easy because the bush is thick and they scattered in different directions. We darted the first one and the guys on the ground located it.

“We went for the second and it was a struggle. You can miss an elephant in bush like that, imagine a lion. It was getting late. We got the second one — they were lying together, the last two. It was a perfect dart and we moved on to the third one.

The lions' tummies looked full

“They were [found] around steenboks. We don’t think they killed livestock, we would’ve got a complaint by now. They didn’t look like they were compromised but they looked full.”

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by ahnie: 3:19pm On Nov 15, 2022
If it were to be in a certain country,these lions would have died from starvation and finally ended inside pot as pepper soup and stepped down with semi chilled bottle of hero lager beer.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by Thortp(m): 3:22pm On Nov 15, 2022
I sha don't like all this rough play.

5 Likes

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by illicit(m): 4:32pm On Nov 15, 2022
ahnie:
If it werw to be in a certain country,these lions would have died from starvation and finally ended inside pot as pepper soup and stepped down with semi chilled bottle of hero lager beer.

They could have killed somebody too

3 Likes

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by Mercury12(m): 6:38pm On Nov 15, 2022
illicit:

Well said!

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by Wurld: 6:43pm On Nov 15, 2022
How were the Lions able to stray from the park in the first place undecided

WannaHowzit:

The Kruger national park is the size of a country like Israel.
Omo shocked
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 6:44pm On Nov 15, 2022
illicit:

But why end up in your pot is the main question and conundrum undecided
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by MufasaLion: 6:46pm On Nov 15, 2022
In a jungle like Nigeria, they would have roamed freely while on killing spree.
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 6:51pm On Nov 15, 2022
Wurld:
How were the Lions able to stray from the park in the first place undecided

The Kruger national park is the size of a country like Israel.

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by illicit(m): 6:56pm On Nov 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

But why end up in your pot is the main question and conundrum undecided

So make e no waste nah
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:02pm On Nov 15, 2022
illicit:

So make e no waste nah

Do you realise there's an unspoken subconscious worldwide pact that we don't eat animals that eat other animals - or are at the top of the food pyramid undecided

Simply put, it's disgusting to eat carnivorous animals like lions, hyenas, snakes, dogs and cats, etc etc.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by illicit(m): 7:04pm On Nov 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Do you realise there's an untold subconscious worldwide pact that we don't eat animals that eat other animals - or are at the top of the food pyramid undecided

Simply put, it's gross to eat carnivorous animals.

I feel u but rather than let a lion roam around human space

I will prefer it being put down at first sight
And so not to just let it rot away
I will prefer it eaten
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 7:10pm On Nov 15, 2022
illicit:

I feel u but rather than let a lion roam around human space

I will prefer it being put down at first sight
And so not to just let it rot away
I will prefer it eaten

No need to have it put down when the community was forewarned to stay alert and inform the authorities of any sightings, which is what this rural community did - hence those Saturday photos.

The problem with your country is that you lack faith and trust in your authorities to respond, which is different in SA.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by jamesversion: 9:34pm On Nov 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

No need to have it put down when the community was forewarned to stay alert and inform the authorities of any sightings, which is what this rural community did - hence those Saturday photos.
The problem with your country is that you lack faith and trust in your authorities to respond, which is different in SA.

This statement is a fact in Nigeria. Also Nigerians love bushmeat, that is exotic animals that live inside the forest/grasslands.

2 Likes

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 9:44pm On Nov 15, 2022
jamesversion:

This statement is a fact in Nigeria. Also Nigerians love bushmeat, that is exotic animals that live inside the forest/grasslands.

In SA we only eat very few wild animals coz we love and appreciate their value in job creation and tourism.

I think the only exotic meat we kinda have in very low volumes is deer (antelope), ostrich and some crocodile.

We call it game, not bushmeat.

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by HolyMan12: 10:18pm On Nov 15, 2022
Funny thing is that despite the hype of lions, Tigers are stronger.

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by illicit(m): 10:40pm On Nov 15, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Well, accidents happen

I will rather see a lion dead than a human

3 Likes

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by Sabadon(m): 12:11am On Nov 16, 2022
Lion dey go on night stroll grin
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by iHateFraudsters: 1:29am On Nov 16, 2022
Abeg o.

Make three lions no dey escape like that.

Not one, not two, but three?
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by Urheadmaster(m): 2:29am On Nov 16, 2022
Had it been it was in Nigeria.

The lions would've end up in a pot of soup tongue
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by WannaHowzit(m): 2:39am On Nov 16, 2022
illicit:

Well, accidents happen

I will rather see a lion dead than a human

Ok. Different countries, different way of thinking. Keep that in mind when you japa so you don't end up insulting your hosts like you're famous for.
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by noeloge82(m): 5:16am On Nov 16, 2022
Very dangerous but thank GOD for high professionalism they are found and returned if not they could have turned into a killing machine .
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by OKOATA(m): 6:13am On Nov 16, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Ok. Different countries, different way of thinking. Keep that in mind when you japa so you don't end up insulting your hosts like you're famous for.

So you can xenophobic them abi.
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by illicit(m): 6:37am On Nov 16, 2022
WannaHowzit:

Coming from someone whose king kills a lion

Was he gonna eat it or he just likes to see it die

1 Like

Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by gohanDBZ: 2:51pm On Nov 16, 2022
Thank God they were able to locate and dart all of them before it got dark, it's very easy to lose track of fast animals once night falls...
Re: 3 Escaped Male Lions With Full Bellies Recaptured on SA Farmland (PICS) by meobizy(f): 3:01pm On Nov 16, 2022
A feast of humans won’t fill them. They’d find what the lions ate eventually.

(1) (Reply)

Breaking: Accident At Alakija, Lagos This Morning. / I Want To Know If I Should Travel Or I Stay In Nigeria / I Want To Leave Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.