Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,149 members, 7,821,923 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:49 PM

Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women (473 Views)

Photos Of The Women Who Have Left Ooni Of Ife / Why Do African Americans Generally Have Lighter Skin Tone Than Africans? / Ijaw Bride Who Was Frowning At Her Wedding Says It’s Tradition (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women by Delightsolo1: 7:12pm On Nov 20, 2022
Why do Africa tradition only affect the women?
I have think about this for many times, before I saw this video,I was very happy about what this man say, I believe if all Africa can apply this method it will be very good mostly in Nigeria,is it good for men to die first before there wife #
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrJFFhmmDqg

1 Share

Re: Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women by dollytino4real(f): 7:56pm On Nov 20, 2022
Na where their brain know reach then!!!

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women by AreaFada2: 9:20pm On Nov 20, 2022
African tradition also made men to go to war and die in large numbers in inter-tribal and civil wars. It protected women.
In my culture, we have a Queen Mother who for over 500 years has her own royal court and chiefs just like her son, the king.

In times past, she had her own army, just like the king. One even led her army to war, but women were not among her soldiers.

There are a whole range of duties young men owe to their village/clan/town/kingdom that women do not have to fulfil.

During funerals, when a headman to lead a funeral is selected, a headwoman is also selected. Upon completion of funeral, the head man becomes a "quasi" replacement father and the headwoman a replacement mother to help the children cope with loss of a parent. Two "quasi" parents for one parent lost.

So consider it according to each tribe, culture and history instead of sweeping generalisations.

We should generally know our history better and what they were originally meant for. Then we can decide what current age doesn't need anymore. Culture is dynamic.

1 Like

Re: Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women by frozen70(f): 8:16am On Nov 21, 2022
Delightsolo1:
I have think about this for many times, before I saw this video,I was very happy about what this man say, I believe if all Africa can apply this method it will be very good mostly in Nigeria,is it good for men to die first before there wife #

In the olden days, men makes traditional rules to affect women because they want to clip their wings and make them submissive

Even God that creates men and women, did not gave women strict rules that men are not part of
Re: Why Do African Tradition Only Affect The Women by Nobody: 1:08pm On Nov 23, 2022
I don't think it entirely affect women only.

In my culture, if the wife dies before the husband, the husband's head is also shaved and he must not shave his beard until the mourning period is over, it's usually 5 or 6 months.. And they're expected to wear a black shirt throughout the mourning period, or attach a piece of black cloth on their clothes.

When the mourning period is over, a cleansing ceremony is held and his head is shaved again as a sign of new beginnings and that he can now move on with his life.

And if he decides to remarry, he must not bring his new wife into the house he shared with his previous wife as according to tradition, the house belongs to the wife, not the husband.. The husband builds it for his wife as a gift and if the wife is no more, then it belongs to the kids, but he'll still be the head of the house.

And it's also considered bad luck to bring his new wife into his previous or late wife's house.. He must build a new one for his new wife.

Even if it may happen that he and his wife are divorcing, he must be the one to leave the house, not the wife.
Delightsolo1:

(1) (Reply)

This Is Why America Is Falling / Is Gender Equality Possible By 2030 >>hmmm / Home/post Construction Cleaning Services

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.