Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,553 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:00 PM

Brief History Of Edunabon - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Brief History Of Edunabon (1409 Views)

Brief History Of Dunukofia Clan / A Brief Profile Of The Igbo People Of Jamaica / Itsekiri People (a Brief History) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Brief History Of Edunabon by duro4chang(m): 5:51pm On Nov 22, 2022
Brief History of Edunabon, Osun State.
“Odunabon” as it was originally known, situates North-West of Ile-ife along Ife Oshogbo road and at the Western boundary of the University of Ife, now Obafemi Awolowo University, Ile-ife.
The founder, an Ife Prince and a descendant of Lajamisan came to Edunabon to settle after he had established many settlements in the Savannah land, a Northern part of Oyo.
The Ife Prince Salu who was a Famous hunter, founded the town “ Odunabon” around 1549 A.D during the reign of His Royal Highness Oba Ooni Lafogido.
He left Ile-Ife after maturing for his hunting expedition and he had four (4) wives. Akinjole was the first son, followed by Isiboni, Akinfajo and Fatokun, respectively and they constitute the ruling houses till today.
When the second son of Salu was born, people from Ile-ife who came to trade, met the mother. They saw the child as a true resemblance of the reigning Ooni during that time. Filled with awe, they couldn’t help but asked the question “who gave birth to the Ooni here?" (“yesi bi ooni nibee” in Ife dialet) which was later changed to “Isiboni”.
He had four children namely Ajimajasan, lamba, Amoloye and Jege.
The children constitute one of the ruling houses “Isiboni” till today.
When Salu, a brave hunter, wanted to leave Ile-Ife for his hunting expedition, He consulted Ife Oracle because in the ancient period, an individual Yoruba would not venture into any important business without asking from his “orisa”(god).
The oracle had instructed him to travel and stop at a place where he could discover plenty of unripe palm fruits.
Salu and his first son got to the place when all the palm treesthat clustered there bore unripe palm fruits and he believed that the palm trees were celebrating the “festival of unripeness”.
Hence, the name that came to his mind “odun-abon” which later became “Edunabon”
Salu who initially settled at Bolo compound, built his house and was buried at Popo after his death.
Like father like son. Akinjole also made a hunting expedition during which he founded Ejigbo town before returning to his father’s town “Edunabon”. After the death of Salu, his First son, Akinjole, cameto the throne, followed by Fatokun, Akinfajo and Isiboni, respectively in a sequential order till today.
Akinjole was buried in his compound house, which is Osasa Compound. During the “Hukuhuku” war between 1839 and 1848, there was loss of lives, leading to some degree of depopulation.
Some of theinhabitants fled to different towns and villages in the country to seek abode, excluding the brave ruler of the then Edunabon called “Ode-Aabolode” from Isiboni ruling house.
The king did not leave the frontage of his home until the warriors killed him.
During the war, Oyeniku (one of the sons of Akinjole) and his people, ran to Ile-Ife and was eventually made the king by Ooni of Ife before returning home.
He was reported to be the oldest ruler in Edunabon who ruled for one hundred and twenty (120) years.
It is expedient to note that Edunabon, since the return of Oyemiku as the ruler of Edunabon, had remained peaceful till today.
The people of Edunabon are recognised with peace, hardwork, good hospitality and humbleness, Edunabon indigenes are also known with occupations such as farming and trading.
Today, however, education has changed the lives of many.
The city is known to have produced medical doctors, engineers, pilots, bankers, pastors, teachers, among other modernprofessions.
Re: Brief History Of Edunabon by illicit(m): 7:17pm On Nov 22, 2022
I know that town

Beside moro
Re: Brief History Of Edunabon by duro4chang(m): 7:21pm On Nov 22, 2022
illicit:
I know that town

Beside moro
You are right. I did my NYSC in a village not far from that place.

1 Like

Re: Brief History Of Edunabon by illicit(m): 7:23pm On Nov 22, 2022
duro4chang:
You are right. I did my NYSC in a village not far from that place.

Same here

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

10 Fearless Black Female Warriors Throughout History / My Urhobo Neighbor Threaten His Agbor Wife, Because She Insisted She Is Igbo / Wow, See The Nigerian Creativity In This Cake (picture)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.