Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:17 AM

The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria (26278 Views)

MDCN Results Of Exams Held From 26th-27th November 2019 In Kano / Top 10 Highest First Choice Chosen Institutions In 2018 UTME Examination / Rochas Okorocha Establishes 6 New Tertiary Institutions In Imo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by weccoht1: 12:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
yinkbell:
Students can't apply knowledge they have not acquired since the curriculum is 90% theory and 10 % practical.

Believe me, the curriculum isn't designed that way. Curriculum interpretation by institutions/teachers/lecturers is where we are getting it wrong in my own opinion.

I write with reference to the colleges of health technology NBTE-assigned curriculum.
It is atypical to see Bloom's taxonomy - a framework used world wide as a hierarchy/progress /step in learning, outlined in lesson objectives at all levels. The six levels are remembering, understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating, and creating.
It suffice to say that the purpose of the taxonomy is to get theoretical and practical knowledge, skill and ability to solve problem and be productive.

Let's go to a classroom in Nigeria. The lesson topic, according to the curriculum, says - "Discuss the role of socio-economic factors in adolescent pregnancy".
A typical lecturer comes to lecture on the topic rather than allow a discussion to take place. I guess that is the best way he can interprete the lesson topic or curriculum.

.... But do you know that our inability to let students discuss as outlined in the curriculum, has an effect on their ability to look up facts and figures by themselves, put up an argument or counter argument to drive home their points or even hone their oral presentation skills among other things?

Know this - theoretical and practical knowledge, skill and/or ability to possess at the end of each topic is clearly stated as a learning outcome in all given curriculum by the government. No educator will deny that at all.
However, achieving the desired learning outcome is the onus of the institution/teachers.

We are closing the gaps for our own students through our performance-driven lesson plan.

I rest my case.

Thanks.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by yinkbell: 2:15pm On Nov 25, 2022
weccoht1:

Believe me, the curriculum isn't designed that way. Curriculum interpretation by institutions/teachers/lecturers is where we are getting it wrong in my own opinion.

I write with reference to the colleges of health technology NBTE-assigned curriculum.
It is atypical to see Bloom's taxonomy - a framework used world wide as a hierarchy/progress /step in learning, outlined in lesson objectives at all levels. The six levels are remembering, understanding, applying, analyzing, evaluating, and creating.
It suffice to say that the purpose of the taxonomy is to get theoretical and practical knowledge, skill and ability to solve problem and be productive.

Let's go to a classroom in Nigeria. The lesson topic, according to the curriculum, says - "Discuss the role of socio-economic factors in adolescent pregnancy".
A typical lecturer comes to lecture on the topic rather than allow a discussion to take place. I guess that is the best way he can interprete the lesson topic or curriculum.

.... But do you know that our inability to let students discuss as outlined in the curriculum, has an effect on their ability to look up facts and figures by themselves, put up an argument or counter argument to drive home their points or even hone their oral presentation skills among other things?

Know this - theoretical and practical knowledge, skill and/or ability to possess at the end of each topic is clearly stated as a learning outcome in all given curriculum by the government. No educator will deny that at all.
However, achieving the desired learning outcome is the onus of the institution/teachers.

We are closing the gaps for our own students through our performance-driven lesson plan.

I rest my case.

Thanks.

Thanks for the points you presented up there.
The fact that students and lecturers are lagging behind in aspect of practicals do not depict that Nigeria curriculum has less of practicals.
It was actually watered down to that percentage due to lack of funding of all citadels of learning at all levels.

Take for example, Nigeria Secondary Schools; how many Schools have well equipped laboratories?

Area of research has been neglected by the government.
They encourage lecturers to give deliverables as regards students performance yet, the right tools needed for deliverables are not in place.

If care is not taken and government refuses to fund institutions to improve academic at all levels of citadel of learning, the 10% may still water down to 3%.

No nation progresses without it's government making effort in improving all sectors in the nation.
Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by Whois(m): 8:38pm On Nov 25, 2022
Please what's the meaning if a school is using Montessori method

BluntCrazeMan:
Please don't scatter the thread yet.

Even the Westerners themselves have changed their pattern.
They have evolved.
For instance, the Norwegian kids start Primary School at the age of 6., And that means, before the age of six, their parents can choose to keep them in their custodies and teach them by themselves, or they can attend pre-school education centers where there learn through Montessori methods.

But down here, we are still stuck with those old education methods which the old missionaries handed down to us.
Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by BluntCrazeMan: 10:12pm On Nov 25, 2022
Hadassahly:

Ha! A higher education degree means I have advanced knowledge of the subject na. Would be a shame on me if after years of studying Physics or Engineering, I can't correctly mark exams of basic level. Plus, the exam body always provide marking guide already. What other experience does a person need to mark exam scripts of 15/16 year olds other than the understanding of the topics? Just some little orientation on the skills of exam marking, recording etc...dass all.

But I do get your point, very well. Graduates of education might be the best for this role then, since they have gotten more experience through Observation and Teaching practice. I'm already a strong believer that only people with degrees in Education should be teachers but with the economy and state of employment in the land, it is what it is. embarassed

Cost of training shouldn't be the problem. We already spend a whole lot on shenanigans, we can put those funds to better use. That's why we say the education sector needs more strategic funding, at all levels.

A better/ widened curriculum with the same way of testing and marking might not bring so much progress, in the context of this OP's suggestions.
That's Exactly what I am saying.

Our examination methods are making our students lazy and mentally unproductive

1 Like

Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by BluntCrazeMan: 10:29pm On Nov 25, 2022
Whois:
Please what's the meaning if a school is using Montessori method

From Wikipedia:
“The Montessori method of education involves [allowing the children to engage in their] children's natural interests and activities, rather than formal teaching methods......
“A Montessori classroom places an emphasis on hands-on learning and developing real-world skills”.

In a Montessori classroom, a lot of learning-aids and toys are placed for the kids, and the kids play/learn with anyone of them which they fancy, and they are not under any pressure to learn at any speed or rate.

They are more-or-less catching fun, but also learning in the process of catching the fun without even feeling like anyone is forcing them to learn..
The instructors are only there just to guide them, and tidy the place up.

You can use “Google” in order to get further description, and instances, and short videos.
Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by Whois(m): 10:59am On Nov 26, 2022
Thanks for the response boss. My primary school claims they use Montessori method but what the results i got from google about Montessori method is different from what I experienced back then, that's why i was confused. shocked
BluntCrazeMan:
From Wikipedia:
“The Montessori method of education involves [allowing the children to engage in their] children's natural interests and activities, rather than formal teaching methods......
“A Montessori classroom places an emphasis on hands-on learning and developing real-world skills”.

In a Montessori classroom, a lot of learning aids and toys are placed for the kids, and the kids play/learn with anyone of them which they fancy, and they are not under any pressure to learn at any speed or rate.

They are more-or-less catching fun, but also learning in the process of catching the fun without even feeling like anyone is forcing them to learn..
The instructors only there to guide them, and tidy the place up.

You can use “Google” in order to get further description, and instances, and short videos.

1 Like

Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by BluntCrazeMan: 11:08am On Nov 26, 2022
Whois:
Thanks for the response boss. My primary school claims they use Montessori method but what the results i got from google about Montessori method is different from what I experienced back then, that's why i was confused. shocked
E reach to confuse somebody, my brother.

In our country, things happen so much in theory, and in their descriptions and naming.

But those descriptions and names always turn out to be something else in practical applicable reality.
Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by KallieBalistre: 5:41am On Oct 23, 2023
I believe that the topic of "The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions" is a crucial conversation in the field of education. It's essential that we reevaluate and adapt the examination methods used in schools to ensure they are fair, effective, and beneficial for students.The article at https://dontgetserious.com/with-exams-coming-up-finish-your-essay-without-stress/ provides valuable insights into how students can tackle their exams and essays without excessive stress. It's a timely resource, considering the pressure that exams often bring. When discussing the types of exams we need, it's also worth considering how we can reduce stress and enhance the learning experience for students.
Re: The Types Of Exams We Need For Schools And Academic Institutions In Nigeria by BluntCrazeMan: 5:56am On Oct 23, 2023
I am considering making this a “Bill Proposal” and sending it across to the senator representing me in the senate.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Islamic Senior High School Students Dancing & Having Fun In Ghana / Top 5 Nigerian Universities For Postgraduate Studies / Federal University of Agriculture Makurdi(U.A.M)2015/2016 >2016/2017 Aspirants.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.