Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,436 members, 7,815,990 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:57 PM

13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum (592 Views)

Wike Reintroduces Monthly Sanitation In FCT / Billionaire With Private Jet/ Yacht To Pay Luxury Taxes From 2019 - Federal Govt / Buhari Will Campaign At Akwa Ibom International Stadium, Federal Govt Insists (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 6:27pm On Nov 25, 2022
Questions to ponder:

Why was history scrapped in 2009?
Why didn't the States bother to reintroduce it back into their curriculums?
Why do people wait for federal government to fund these subjects?

Federal government has formally announced the reintroduction of History as a stand alone subject in the basic education curriculum in Nigeria 13 years after it was removed.

A total of 3,700 History teachers have also been shortlisted for the first round of training for enhanced teaching of the subject.

The minister of education, Malam Adamu Adamu, who spoke at the flag-off ceremony of the reintroduction of teaching of History and training of History teachers at basic education level in Abuja on Thursday, lamented that the national cohesion was being threatened with the country retreating into primordial sentiments because of lack of knowledge of the evolution of Nigeria following the removal of the subject.

Source: https://leadership.ng/13-years-after-federal-govt-reintroduces-history-into-curriculum/
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by sadics: 6:27pm On Nov 25, 2022
Sounds like someone was trying to his something from the new generation.

Does that ring a bell to you the our sincerity about the new Nigerian Dream ?

If you like Don't Vote wisely
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2022
History being reintroduced in the curriculum is great. Let's be honest the FG didn't need to do it. Nothing was stopping any state from doing it these past 13 years. Constitutionally the federal government mandates the minimum level of education, not the maximum. Lol, civics and economics should also be mandatory classes.

Anyway for history lovers here are two recommendations. Check out the documentary below if you have a couple of hours to kill over the weekend. Read this book if you want to know pre-Nigerian history before amalgamation.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPz9AbfufTQ

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Larryton(m): 6:28pm On Nov 25, 2022
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Osariemen12: 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2022
A very good one. At least, our young ones will be able to read the accurate history of our Great Bini Empire as documented by professor Irueweka et al and not the nonsense fairly tale being propagated by Lagos-Ibadan Express media which strives to miss Bini with Yoruba.
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Emperormartin(m): 7:01pm On Nov 25, 2022
The pressure from Nigeria populace has finally yielded sth.

I don't know the reason why they initially scrapped it!!!

Maybe they were apprehensive of Biafran reinassance

1 Like

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by FreeStuffsNG: 7:07pm On Nov 25, 2022
Hmmmm.

I remember doing History right from Primary One and it is still helpful to me till date. Whoever removed it did that generation that missed it a colossal injustice. I am happy it is coming back.

Children will now know that Oba of Benin is a direct descendant of Oranmiyan who is one of the younger children of Oduduwa. That Owu is the First child and Ooni is the spiritual Head of all the Yoruba including all the descendants of Oduduwa.

While the Bini proletariat may not be Yoruba, its royalty is Yoruba. The heads of past Oba of Bini are buried in Ile Ife and the Itsekiris are Yoruba who migrated to their present homeland in Delta state.

The attempt to review history lule and created far more problems because it was an attempt to introduce lies into our history.

Christistruth00:

They will now Understand that Lagos is Yoruba Aworiland and not a “no mans Land”

and that the first Oba of Lagos was Awori from Isheri Olofin and not Bini

And Awolowo not Azikiwe Clearly Won the 1956 Western Region Elections even without any Cross. Carpeting

and that Oduduwa entered into Ile Ife riding a Horse and wearing Metal Armour

and he didn’t just fall from the sky

And that the Egun are descendants of Oduduwa through the Olupopo his son

and that it was Gowon that released Awolowo from Jail in Calabar and not Ojukwu

And that Calabar Wellington Bassey was Ironsi’s Senior in the Army

And that Gowon,Bassey, Banjo, Njoku, Effiong, Kurubo were all Ojukwus Senior in the Army

And that it was Ojukwu who rejected food Corridors to feed his starving People

and that Majority Of Itsekiri migrated from Ijebu,Ilaje, and Owo and are not Edo

and that Yoruba Balogun Alanamu was the Ruler Of Ilorin that the British fought ,deposed, banished to Jebba

and replaced with the previously already defeated Emir in 1900

Many of us were turned into impromptu Historians and History Teachers

5 Likes

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 7:08pm On Nov 25, 2022
Emperormartin:
The pressure from Nigeria populace has finally yielded sth.

I don't know the reason why they initially scrapped it!!!

Maybe they were apprehensive of Biafran reinassance

Why did your state not pay the history teachers after they removed the subject? I don't understand why everyone acts like the states couldn't pay the history teachers.

1 Like

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 7:25pm On Nov 25, 2022
This is totally stupid....

What do we need history for?

We need ICT and technical studies....

Introduce sport activities to schools...A child who isn't really academically sound could do better and champion in sports or practical skills taught in the schools.

Sports like swimming, hockey, football, basketball, etc could train young Nigerians into perfection.

Then revive the curriculum and scrap some topics that are irrelevant to the students.

Build standard schools and give the children a welcoming environment to feel happy around.

We can't keep going back and forth with history or no history nonsense. While the rich send their kids overseas to learn and study well...
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by christistruth01: 7:39pm On Nov 25, 2022
FreeStuffsNG:
Hmmmm.

I remember doing History right from Primary One and it is still helpful to me till date. Whoever removed it did that generation that missed it a colossal injustice. I am happy it is coming back.

Children will now know that Oba of Benin is a direct descendant of Oranmiyan who is one of the younger children of Oduduwa. That Owu is the First child and Ooni is the spiritual Head of all the Yoruba including all the descendants of Oduduwa.

While the Bini proletariat may not be Yoruba, its royalty is Yoruba. The heads of past Oba of Bini are buried in Ile Ife and the Itsekiris are Yoruba who migrated to their present homeland in Delta state.

The attempt to review history lule and created far more problems because it was an attempt to introduce lies into our history.

Do you know that even in Yoruba Tradition you cannot be an outstanding Ruler or Warrior without being thoroughly grounded in History

You wouldn't know who your best allies are or the History of your opponents battle Strategy and it's effectiveness or how to Checkmate it successfully
The relationship between Kings and different Kingdoms

When to resort to diplomacy and when to resort to Warfare

2 Likes

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by FreeStuffsNG: 7:43pm On Nov 25, 2022
christistruth01:

Do you know that even in Yoruba Tradition you cannot be an outstanding Ruler or Warrior without being thoroughly grounded in History

You wouldn't know who your best allies are or the History of your opponents battle Strategy and it's effectiveness or how to Checkmate it successfully

When to resort to diplomacy and when to resort to Warfare
That is why war studies fall under history. Dr Fayemi studied History in UNILAG before going all the way to PhD in War Studies.

2 Likes

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 7:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:
This is totally stupid....

What do we need history for?

We need ICT and technical studies....

Introduce sport activities to schools...A child who isn't really academically sound could do better and champion in sports or practical skills taught in the schools.

What's stopping your state from introducing these programs and paying the staff? Why do you guys act like your state representatives are powerless vassals when it's convenient to your argument? Do you just want the federal government to fund everything around you?
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by 40fy: 7:45pm On Nov 25, 2022

**My homies and I are the heroes here!!
**The government wouldn't have brought it back, if we hadn't held 'em by the dícks!!

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Mercisharelove(f): 7:45pm On Nov 25, 2022
Faux
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Tochi3(m): 7:47pm On Nov 25, 2022
The truth will finally come when the history classrooms are open.. to know why it was banned in the first place
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 7:51pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

What's stopping your state from introducing these programs and paying the staff? Why do you guys act like your state representatives are powerless vassals when it's convenient to your argument? Do you just want the federal government to fund everything around you?

If you have a brain, you will understand that I was speaking in general....

Whether it's a state government or federal government...

The education system needs a new shape and we need it like never before....
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 7:59pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

If you have a brain, you will understand that I was speaking in general....

Whether it's a state government or federal government...

The education system needs a new shape and we need it like never before....

If you're speaking in general why are you complaining about the federal government not funding your pet project? The federal funding history does not affect your state funding ICT, technical studies or athletic programs? If you had a brain this point would be obvious to you but we both know you're just back tracking.

1 Like

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 8:03pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

If you're speaking in general why are you complaining about the federal government not funding your pet project? The federal funding history does not affect your state funding ICT, technical studies or athletic programs? If you had a brain this point would be obvious to you but we both know you're just back tracking.

Yet the FG can support and fund projects in Niger but you see this as a crime if FG support states to fund educational projects...

Abeg shift...

You take excuses for a rotten system but complains about the country not moving well...
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 8:11pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

Yet the FG can support and fund projects in Niger but you see this as a crime if FG support states to fund educational projects...

Abeg shift...

You take excuses for a rotten system but complains about the country not moving well...

I didn't say it was a crime. Now you're shifting the goal post since your initial backtracking lie didnt work. What excuse did I make and did I say your pet project shouldn't happen? I asked you what's stopping your state now you're getting upset. Your state like the rest will sit on their hands like they did with history subject until the federal government deems it important. I'm guess that's what upsetting you.

1 Like

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 8:16pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

I didn't say it was a crime. Now you're shifting the goal post since your initial backtracking lie didnt work. What excuse did I make and did I say your pet project shouldn't happen? I asked you what's stopping your state now you're getting upset. Your state like the rest will sit on their hands like they did with history subject until the federal government deems it important. I'm guess that's what upsetting you.

Just incase you don't know....If have federal schools in all the states....

Let the FG begin by fixing the federal schools..

If you don't want the education system to work....I know meaningful Nigerians want it to work....

Leave the state projects...Since Nigeria decided to have all attention on the central power....

The state rely on federal government's allocation to initiate projects and pay salaries....Based on what they generate..

Since all the monies are within the control of the FG...Then they should lead by example to fix it's schools acros the country first...
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 8:33pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

Just incase you don't know....If have federal schools in all the states....

Let the FG begin by fixing the federal schools..

If you don't want the education system to work....I know meaningful Nigerians want it to work....

Leave the state projects...Since Nigeria decided to have all attention on the central power....

The state rely on federal government's allocation to initiate projects and pay salaries....Based on what they generate..

Since all the monies are within the control of the FG...Then they should lead by example to fix it's schools acros the country first...

Lol you're not the sharpest tool in the shed. Anytime you're corned on one point you jump to new topic to be schooled in. Nobody is debating if federal school should be fixed so that's irrelevant to original post. If states run their own education system you can't leave them alone that's illogical.

States have plenty of IGR potential the can tap into via income taxes and property taxes this why the tax to GDP is pretty low. If your state sucks at budgeting more money won't fix that. This is why certain states can't pay salaries and are always owing. This isn't to say rules should be changed just for clarification.

Again their school being bad doesn't justify your failures. You guys every excuse why you should be a loser. If you want to fund the project raise taxes or cut expenses somewhere. If you're not interested just say that. We both know you just want to wait on the FG that's why you were upset they funded history before ICT.

1 Like

Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 8:40pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

Lol you're not the sharpest tool in the shed. Anytime you're corned on one point you jump to new topic to be schooled in. Nobody is debating if federal school should be fixed so that's irrelevant to original post. If states run their own education system you can't leave them alone that's illogical.

States have plenty of IGR potential the can tap into via income taxes and property taxes this why the tax to GDP is pretty low. If your state sucks at budgeting more money won't fix that. This is why certain states can't pay salaries and are always owing. This isn't to say rules should be changed just for clarification.

Again their school being bad doesn't justify your failures. You guys every excuse why you should be a loser. If you want to fund the project raise taxes or cut expenses somewhere. If you're not interested just say that. We both know you just want to wait on the FG that's why you were upset they funded history before ICT.

How can you agree that the state's generate low income and can't even pay salaries..yet believe that they should do enough to fix the education system.

You shouldn't be in this argument.....

I am saying that we don't have a need for history. Nobody will get reach by telling histories...

We need ICT and technical skills studies in schools....We need sports activities to be introduced in the schools.

Some private schools are doing this... They've changed their curriculum and they select subjects based on their interest and not subject a child to learn 12 to 14 subjects that he will need just a few at the university.
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Blue3k(m): 8:48pm On Nov 25, 2022
JASONjnr:

How can you agree that the state's generate low income and can't even pay salaries..yet believe that they should do enough to fix the education system.

You shouldn't be in this argument.....

I am saying that we don't have a need for history. Nobody will get reach by telling histories...

We need ICT and technical skills studies in schools....We need sports activities to be introduced in the schools.

Some private schools are doing this... They've changed their curriculum and they select subjects based on their interest and not subject a child to learn 12 to 14 subjects that he will need just a few at the university.

You clearly missed the part about states not budgeting correctly. The states refuse to reduce bloated the work force and increase taxes fund services. You should not argue if you too lazy to read. Hardly anyone gets rich playing sports just like doing history. Again I will repeat tell your state to fund it unless you fine just waiting for the Federal Government. It's OK to just admit that's your desire. Why are you avoiding that?
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by JASONjnr(m): 9:03pm On Nov 25, 2022
Blue3k:

You clearly misses the part a out states not budgeting correctly. The states refuse to reduce bloated work force and increase taxes fund services. You should not argue if you too lazy to read. Hardly anyone gets rich plying sports just like doing history. Again I will repeat tell your state to fund it unless you fine just waiting for the Federal Government. It's OK to just admit that's your desire. Why are you avoiding that?

I wasn't expecting you to say a thing like this....

No states mismanaged their funds...And asking some states to increase taxation is asking them to increase suffering.

Some states have easy access to FG loans and privileges while some states with uncommon relationship with the president suffers it. This causes some states to not function properly in the area of budgets and resource management.

You talked about people not making money playing sports...I don't even want to believe you actually compared sports with history.... Do you know how much England is making from sports? Even China discovered this and have been making fortunes from their local leagues....

You are still pushing on this.....The same argument with minimum wage payment...Some states have refused to pay MW....But FG is paying it's workers...

And I say, let the FG fix it's schools and let us move our kids from the state schools to FG schools....Whether the state is capable or not...
Re: 13 Years After, Federal Govt Reintroduces History Into Curriculum by Mynd44: 9:14pm On Nov 25, 2022

(1)

Lagos Ranked Worse On Global Urban Mobility Index / Revealed: Most Tinubu's Surpporters On #land Are Yoruba Muslims / Mr Macaroni Laments About The High Rate Of Insecurity In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.