Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,866 members, 7,817,563 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:27 PM

Identity Politics - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Identity Politics (178 Views)

How To Check If Your National Identity Card (NIMC) Is Ready For Collection / How To Retrieve Your NIN -national Identity Number / How To Register And Collect Your Nigerian National Identity Card (NIMC) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:47pm On Nov 26, 2022
Meghan Markle, Duchess of Sussex. Before she started calling herself black, she would have passed easily as a tanned white woman in almost every predominantly black city, town or country in the world.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-misunderstood-thing-about-black-people/answer/Shabba-De-Leon.

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:48pm On Nov 26, 2022
Mariah Carey, a diva, a famous singer and songwriter. Is she white or black?

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:49pm On Nov 26, 2022
Jennifer Lopez, one of the most famous Latin Americans of recent times. Popular singer and actress. Now, quite a few Latinos and Latinas have African ancestry, so the question becomes…are they black? (This is the same question for Mariah Carey above, except her African ancestry is far more recent.)

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:53pm On Nov 26, 2022
The man and woman on the left of the composite picture, they’re as dark as me. Yet, they aren’t considered to be African, of African descent, or black. Why?

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:55pm On Nov 26, 2022
This is a gorgeous pic…of an Indian woman. But, again, why is she considered Indian but not black?

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:57pm On Nov 26, 2022
And if Nyakim Gatwech is considered black, then

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:59pm On Nov 26, 2022
how the hell do I compare to her? One can safely call her ashen black. Me? My skin colour is brown.

Speaking of me, as my surname suggests, I’m partially of Spanish descent, with my maternal side of the family coming from Venezuela (and they weren’t black, in case you’re wondering)

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 2:59pm On Nov 26, 2022
. I have never seen any part of Africa unlike

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:01pm On Nov 26, 2022
Elon Musk and Charlize Theron, who are so-called white people, but have more right to call themselves African than every black person not born in Africa.

The most misunderstood thing about black people, more than any stereotype you can think of with regards to black people, is that “black” label. What, exactly, makes a person “black” is not clearly defined and not understood. Anywhere you go, the criteria seem to change according to some unwritten and unknown rules. In the USA, if you have any African descent, or if your skin colour is of some unstated shade of brown or black, you’re black; in the United Kingdom, you’re a British citizen, but if you appear to be of African descent and are of some unstipulated shade of brown or black, you may be subjected to racism; other parts of the world judge you based on different criteria. And, of course, you can be the darkest shade of black, and still get rejected by a black community, because they don’t consider you to be black (or, because you’re too black, as Nyakim Gatwech knows all too well…but that’s a different story about how black people are racist to black people).

Once you understand this, you understand that the next most misunderstood thing about black people is that they have any shared cultural trait. There is simply no label that you can arbitrarily slap on to black people that fits even the majority of them (except, maybe, African descent. But seeing that almost all of modern man are descended from Africans…).

That’s one reason why racism is stupid.
Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:04pm On Nov 26, 2022
Fun fact, none of the people on this picture is ‘black'

They're Malaysian,

Same skintones and darker are very common in south east Asia and Oceania

Most of the people on this picture, were they walking around in the us , would be assumed to be black, but because they're ‘asians' they're not

But if any of them would have an african great great great grand parent ( still looking exactly the same ) they would suddenly be considered black

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:14pm On Nov 26, 2022
This is why I believe that race is more of a social construct than something that genuinely exists.

Ethnicity/region doesn’t really dictate a person’s skin color or the way they look. All people of different ethnicities, regardless of the regions they come from, tend to look diverse, which dispels the notion of certain features/traits being found in specific regions of the world. The definitions of who belongs to a specific race differs from culture to culture and has evolved over time.

For example…

These are definitely European people.

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:16pm On Nov 26, 2022

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:18pm On Nov 26, 2022
C

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:19pm On Nov 26, 2022
Or so you thought, when actually that wasn’t the case.

Sofi Tsedaka (Samaritan Israeli singer)

Ahed Tamimi (Palestinian activist)

Alona Tal (Ashkenazi-Sephardi Jewish Israeli actress)

Princess Lalla Shalma of Morocco

Hana El-Zahed (Egyptian actress)

A Palestinian boy

John Abizaid (Lebanese-American general)

Protesters in Tunisia

Indigenous Ainu man of Hokkaido, Japan

Bar Refaeli (Ashkenazi-Sephardi Jewish Israeli model)

Nadia Lotdi (Egyptian actress)

Nancy Ajram (Lebanese pop singer)
Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:46pm On Nov 26, 2022
What about these Africans?

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:47pm On Nov 26, 2022
C

Re: Identity Politics by Soknown: 3:50pm On Nov 26, 2022
Also nope.

Keith Jarrett (German-Slovenian American Jazz musician)

Melissa Gorga (Italian-American television personality)

Dolores Catania (Italian-Irish American television personality)

Neal Shusterman (Ashkenazi Jewish American author)

South Asian girl

Man of indigenous Agta people of Philippines

Sri Lankan woman

Phoebe Snow (Ashkenazi Jewish American roots singer)

Edgar J. Hoover (Anglo-American, first director of FBI)

Arlene Gottfried (Ashkenazi Jewish American photographer)

Boy of indigenous Tagbanua people of Philippines

Man of indigenous Agta people of Philippines

(1) (Reply)

Are You Looking For Professional Movers In Auburn Hills, MI? / African Girls Tiktok Dance / Drama As Oyinbo Woman Leaves Country, To Live With Husband In Africa Local Villa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.