Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,045 members, 7,859,752 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 06:03 PM

Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? (532 Views)

NRM Party Sues Peter Obi Over Honorary Citizenship Of Dallas / Fresh Suit Seeks To Disqualify Atiku, Queries His Citizenship / Farooq Kperogi: Four Presidential Aspirants Who Will Make Me Renounce Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Newton2024: 3:39pm On Nov 27, 2022
How can I denounce my citizenship as a Nigerian? I am presently in Nigeria with the hope of a nice future in a good society. Is it possible to be stateless.

10 Likes

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by illicit(m): 3:40pm On Nov 27, 2022
Sure

Join IPOB

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Newton2024: 3:44pm On Nov 27, 2022
illicit:
Sure

Join IPOB
Oduduwa ni mi tokantokan.

8 Likes

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by illicit(m): 3:46pm On Nov 27, 2022
Newton2024:
Oduduwa ni mi tokantokan.

Same here but we never get country

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by NigeriaIsGreat: 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2022
Wahala

Nnamdi Kanu campaigned for One Nigeria when PDP was in power. PDP lost and he became a freedom fighter grin grin

Obi is on the ballot now we no hear say Nigeria na zoo again

After the election, Nigeria will become a zoo back

This life no balance o

grin grin grin

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 3:57pm On Nov 27, 2022
Newton2024:

How can I denounce my citizenship as a Nigerian? I am presently in Nigeria with the hope of a nice future in a good society. Is it possible to be stateless.

Yes you can renounce your citizenship but you need to gain another. Good luck to you and please update us if you go through with it

1. Submission of formal application letter to the Ministry of Interior;

2. Obtain the prescribed application form or renunciation citizenship (form G) from the Ministry or online by visiting https://ecitibiz.interior.gov.ng/ and attach the documents listed below for the processing of the application:

Formal application letter for renunciation;
Payment of processing fee of ₦20,000.00 only (generate online);

• Birth certificate
• Local Government/State indigeneship letter;
•Two (2) passport photographs;
•Sworn oath of renunciation by high court or magistrate court;
• Scanned copy of the applicant’s Nigerian international passport;
A letter from the country whose citizenship is being sought affirming that the applicant will be given citizenship upon renunciation of Nigerian citizenship; and
• Payment of ₦50,000.00 upon approval of request
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Zionmdde: 3:58pm On Nov 27, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Wahala

Nnamdi Kanu campaigned for One Nigeria when PDP was in power. PDP lost and he became a freedom fighter grin grin

This life no balance o

grin grin grin
Sharrap radio Biafra and ipob was borne in 2012. During 2015 election kanu told his followers not to vote, that if GEJ loses he will be made president of Biafra, I personally listened to that broadcast.
So stop spamming and derailing threads with ur ignorance.
OP if you can jakpa please do. This country is messed up

3 Likes

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Zionmdde: 3:59pm On Nov 27, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Wahala

This life no balance o

grin grin grin
Mynd44 rule 18
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2022
Newton2024:

Firstly, no other nation recognises an individual as stateless.

This can only occur under lightning strike odds if for example during transit from your country of origin something transpired and your nation state ceased to exist on arrival in your destination country and immigration officials of your intended host country no longer recognises your passport as their country had accepted the creation of new nation states out of your country when you were in transit.

As I said, this can only happen under the same odds of lightning striking a point twice in a row.

So you just can't arrive at a nation's border and claim to be stateless. They will consider you as undocumented and will not even consider you for asylum but will rather put you on the next available flight back to the point of last departure you used in entering their country.

Regards renouncing your citizenship, there are constitutional provisions for this that puts such powers not in the individual hands but in the hands of the executive president.

You will first have to apply to the President requesting his approval to have your citizenship revoked. This is no easy feat as the president will first get a security report around you to see if your request for such is to avoid future criminal prosecution over a yet to be revealed crime.

You should also consider that citizenship is not by having been granted a travel document in the form of a passport.

Your citizenship is first recognized and gazetted on the day of your birth registration. From that point you become an automatic citizen whether you approve it or not or were in the position to apply for such as an infant.

Going further, as you attended nursery , primary and secondary schools , you were exposed to the daily ritual of renewing your pledge and allegiance to the Nigerian nation. This will be used by govt lawyers as evidence that you remain a property of Nigeria if you choose to argue that your birth registration was not your doing but that of your parents without your consent.

The Govt can also rely on several documents filled by you be it in higher institution, bank account opening forms or whatever where you entered voluntarily without duress that your nationality was Nigerian.

So , you see ,you can not like the American easily relinquish your citizenship as Nigerian law expressly grants the office the President the sole authority in doing so and so far not one single application has either been made to that effect nor granted.

You remain a Nigerian for life until Nigeria ceases to exist.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:11pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

Yes you can renounce your citizenship but you need to gain another. Good luck to you and please update us if you go through with it

Good luck trying to get the President to sign and approve that renunciation application.

It just exists as a formality and falls under the full discretion of the president .

It will never even smell his desk and you can not accelerate the matter via the courts as the law states specifically that it is part of the President's prerogative and not your right.

If you want to dash FG free money and get DSS to start looking for any shred of criminality around you then by all means go ahead.

Most sensible people just take up new citizenship elsewhere and throw the Nigerian passport away which after a few years will rush to apply for another after feeling homesick unless you are fugitive of the law.

2 Likes

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 4:17pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

Good luck trying to get the President to sign and approve that renunciation application.

It just exists as a formality and falls under the full discretion of the president .

It will never even smell his desk and you can not accelerate the matter via the courts as the law states specifically that it is part of the President's prerogative and not your right.

If you want to dash FG free money and get DSS to start looking for any shred of criminality around you then by all means go ahead.

Most sensible people just take up new citizenship elsewhere and throw the Nigerian passport away which after a few years will rush to apply for another after feeling homesick unless you are fugitive of the law.

True I remember reading that part to. It's funny the NIS didn't bother telling citizens about presidential approval requirements. Anyway at least he doesn't have to pay until service is complete so it doesn't hurt.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by floret23(f): 4:21pm On Nov 27, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Wahala

This life no balance o

grin grin grin
Seun Mynd44 lalasticlala OAM4J farano OAM4J

Rule 18
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

True I remember reading that part to. It's funny the NIS didn't bother telling citizens about presidential approval requirements. Anyway at least he doesn't have to pay until service is complete so it doesn't hurt.

That application will set off red flags around who starts it as the FG will be right to consider your revocation application as an attempt to flee future prosecution for an already committed crime that is yet to be revealed.

Even dual citizenship holders can easily be repatriated back to face criminal investigation and prosecution as they still remain valid citizens and the FG only needs to invoke a court order from Nigeria and serve it to interpol to have one indicted .

This was the case with KANU, but the UK govt overstepped it's bounds and refused to acknowledge Kanu's dual citizenship based not on law but diplomatic principles..

But someone who successfully renounces his or citizenship and leaves the country is totally home free from any crime committed discovered long after they have left the country.

It will be near impossible to have them repatriated .
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by NigeriaIsGreat: 4:26pm On Nov 27, 2022
floret23:

Rule 18
Keep the tears rolling Nwanne

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

That application will set off red flags around who starts it as the FG will be right to consider your revocation application as an attempt to flee future prosecution for an already committed crime that is yet to be revealed.

Even dual citizenship holders can easily be repatriated back to face criminal investigation and prosecution as they still remain valid citizens and the FG only needs to invoke a court order from Nigeria and serve it to interpol to have one indicted .

This was the case with KANU, but the UK govt overstepped it's bounds and refused to acknowledge Kanu's dual citizenship based not on law but diplomatic principles..

I doubt any of that is true for anyone not currently under investigation or prosecution. Again you said the paper work won't even reach the President's desk and nobody ever been granted this request. Now your telling me the federal government who doesn't care to begin with is going to waste time messing with you because you no longer want your citizenship.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:27pm On Nov 27, 2022
floret23:

Rule 18

Why is it always Igbo women that are now forming Commissars of censor board here on NL.

Why are you people so intolerant like the average Jewish olosho ?
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by floret23(f): 4:28pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

Why is it always Igbo women that are now forming Commissars of censor board here on NL.

Why are you people so intolerant like the average Jewish olosho ?
Tribalist aye. Anu e n s'emi.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:29pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

I doubt any of that is true for anyone not currently under investigation or prosecution. Again you said the paper work won't even reach the President's desk and nobody ever been granted this request. Now your telling me the federal government who doesn't care to begin going to waste time messing with you because you no longer want your citizenship.

Guy, do not underestimate Nigerian security guys.

Forget the egunje levels , those guys reason like hardened criminals especially DSS .
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2022
floret23:
Tribalist aye. Anu e n s'emi.

Waka pass.

I no get your OSU time.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 4:40pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

Guy, do not underestimate Nigerian security guys.

Forget the egunje levels , those guys reason like hardened criminals especially DSS .

OK simple question can you name 3 people this scenario happened to? You said it always happens so this shouldnt be hard. This conversation make for an interesting FOIA request. How many people have been requested and have been granted renouncement. We can assume the latter is zero since they never announced it.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:44pm On Nov 27, 2022
The only scenario I can phantom the Nigerian govt acceding to such application for revocation will be if the new country of citizenship does not recognise dual citizenship.

I can't think of any other country apart from North Korea that has banned dual citizenship so unless you want to become a prison citizen of North Korea there is no other valid reason to apply for revocation unless you want to use it as a statement of protest and flaunt it on Social Media which the govt after careful review of your online antics will not oblige you such privelage.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:50pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

OK simple question can you name 3 people this scenario happened to? You said it always happens so this shouldnt be hard. This conversation make for an interesting FOIA request. How many people have been requested and have been granted renouncement. We can assume the latter is zero since they never announced it.

See my post above.

Nobody has been granted such privelage.

The federal Gazzete on citizenship should carry such information you request and it can easily be obtained freely from the Ikoyi federal library .

Having googled countries that forbid dual citizenship , only the Bahamas or Qatar are worth relinquishing ones citizenship but to get both of their citizenship will be impossible for Qatarri and highly expensive for Bahamas.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 4:53pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

See my post above.

The federal Gazzete on citizenship should carry such information you request and it can easily be obtained freely from the Ikoyi federal library .

Having googled countries that forbid dual citizenship , only the Bahamas or Qatar are worth relinquishing ones citizenship but to get both of their citizenship will be impossible for Qatarri and highly expensive for Bahamas.

Stop ducking the simple question I asked you. Name 3 people who the government went after for trying to renounce citizenship. You said it always happens so this shouldnt be hard. I leave it to the government to answer my FOIA. Yes you were very wrong about only north Korea not allowing dual citizenship.

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 4:55pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

Stop ducking the simple question I asked you. Name 3 people who the government went after for trying to renounce citizenship. You said it always happens so this shouldnt be hard. I leave it to the government to answer my FOIA. Yes you were very wrong about only north Korea not allowing dual citizenship.

Who said the govt went after anybody for applying for revocation of citizenship

I only said it will attract the much deserved security scrutiny on why one is applying for such in the first place.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 5:07pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

Who said the govt went after anybody for applying for revocation of citizenship

I only said it will attract the much deserved security scrutiny on why one is applying for such in the first place.

You claimed it would set off a red flag indicating the government would investigate an individual for engaging in a legal process. If you're not under criminal investigation or prosecution how is the scrutiny deserved? You also mentioned the DSS are hardened criminals directly stating they're doing something wrong to individuals applying to renounce citizenship.

I stated there's nothing to worry about simply applying for this citizenship. If you're not under investigation or prosecution nothing will happen and you don't pay the 50k naira till after the process is done.

Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by KwaraRat: 5:12pm On Nov 27, 2022
Blue3k:

You claimed it would set off a red flag indicating the government would investigate an individual for engaging in a legal process. If you're not under criminal investigation or prosecution how is the scrutiny deserved? You also mentioned the DSS are hardened criminals directly stating they're doing something wrong to individuals applying to renounce citizenship.

I stated there's nothing to worry about simply applying for this citizenship. If you're not under investigation or prosecution nothing will happen and you don't pay the 50k naira till after the process is done.

Setting off red flags on your proposed intent on wanting to revoke your citizenship either as s political statement or to evade criminal investigation or prosecution for a yet to be revealed crime.

Do you not understand this or what ?

The govt will be right to ask on your motives for such since only those who fall in tjr category stated above are most likely to request for such revocation .

Haba.

Read my posts again and don't conclude for me
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 5:19pm On Nov 27, 2022
KwaraRat:

Setting off red flags on your proposed intent on wanting to revoke your citizenship either as s political statement or to evade criminal investigation or prosecution for a yet to be revealed crime.

Do you not understand this or what ?

The govt will be right to ask on your motives for such since only those who fall in tjr category stated above are most likely to request for such revocation .

Haba.

Read my posts again and don't conclude for me

Nobody concluded for you. You told me not to underestimate the criminals at the DSS. Now you're telling me that anyone who doesn't have citizenship is a potential criminal. By this logic, anyone who wants to leave the country is a potential criminal because the same logic can be applied. Let's circle back to the original point there's nothing to be afraid of applying to renounce citizenship because you admitted the government has never gone after anyone.
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Chibuzoc(m): 6:04pm On Nov 27, 2022
NigeriaIsGreat:
Wahala

This life no balance o

grin grin grin

Don't say what you don't know, Mazi Nnamidi Kanu was a member of massob 1999 Era his campaign was against the killing of Northerners in particular until he learnt the involvement of state actors. Mind you IPOB started broadcasting in 2012
Re: Can Someone Renounce His Citizenship Of A Country? by Blue3k(m): 5:14pm On Jan 26, 2023
Yes, you can renounce your citizenship. There's no debate to be had on the topic.

https://dailytrust.com/159-nigerians-renounce-citizenship-in-2022-fg/

Newton2024:

KwaraRat:

According to him, 150 Nigerians renounced their citizenship between 2006 to 2021. In 2022, however, 159 Nigerians renounced their citizenships.
The Federal Government has said at least 159 Nigerians renounced their citizenship in 2022 alone.

(1) (Reply)

See How Gbadegbo Rodes-vivour Was Welcome At The Experience / Tinubu Live At Chatham House / Supporting Tinubu Is Political Genocide, Not Franchise

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.