Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,773 members, 7,817,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 07:11 AM

Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing (1042 Views)

What Traffic Lights Mean In Nigeria And The Rest Of The World / Saraki Condemns Abuja Bomb Blasts, / France First Lady Carla Bruni-sarkozy Is 'pregnant With Her Second Child' At Age (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by nawaforweo: 7:02pm On Aug 26, 2011
UNITED NATIONS, - UN leader Ban Ki-moon said that Friday's attack on the UN compound in Nigeria highlighted how the global body was increasingly becoming a "soft target" for extremists.

Ban strongly condemned the attack in Abuja and immediately sent his deputy and the UN security chief to Nigeria to meet government leaders and carry out a security review.

He said 26 agencies were in the UN compound and that "considerable" casualties were expected from the car bomb outrage.

"This was an assault on those who devote their lives to helping others. We condemn this terrible act utterly," he told reporters.

Ban went on to a Security Council meeting on peacekeeping around the world, which started with one minute's silence for the victims, and where the UN leader highlighted his fears of attacks.

"Let me say it clearly, these acts of terrorism are unacceptable, they will not deter us from our vital work for the people of Nigeria and the world," he told the 15-nation council.

"This outrageous and shocking attack is evidence that the UN premises are increasingly being viewed as a soft target by extremist elements around the world," Ban added.

The UN leader was at the Abuja headquarters during a visit to Nigeria two months ago. Ban sent Deputy UN Secretary General Asha-Rose Migiro and UN security chief Greg Starr to Nigeria immediately and added that he would soon be talking with Nigeria's President Goodluck Jonathan.

The UN has increasingly become a terrorist target over the past decade. It was given a brutal wake-up call when a suicide truck bomb on the UN offices in Baghdad on August 19, 2003 killed the UN special representative in Iraq, Sergio Vieira de Mello, and 21 other people.

There have since been other attacks on the UN in Afghanistan and Pakistan and in 2007, 18 UN staff were killed in a car bomb on the UN compound in Algiers.

This year has been particularly tough for the UN with attacks on its buildings around the world and serving peacekeepers as well as plane crashes and other disasters.

Read all the condemnations from each of them here,

http://ascology.com/news/local-news/19579-Nigeria-attack-highlights-growing-risk-for-Ban.html

Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by Nobody: 7:17pm On Aug 26, 2011
Ok
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by Baraac(f): 8:38pm On Aug 26, 2011
It is time for international community to step IN !!!!!!
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by mekaboy(m): 8:54pm On Aug 26, 2011
This is a spiritual problem, we all need to pray for GOD to arise on our countries behalf.and wipe these instruments of distruction out.
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by xavier3(m): 12:06am On Aug 27, 2011
The boko haram sect just seeks attention and the government fueled it by always talking about them. Everyday i put on the tv or walk by a vendor the name and news is always up in my face. Everyone is talking about them, so am i right now.
Now they realise they are a threat to the nation because they hear the fear behind the voices of the people. I know that next time they would aim for something worse than the UN building.
I blame the government because they should have seen it, that the sect needed attention. Now with the attention being granted them they have become a terrorist group.
The catalyst of a terrorist group is attention and fear. When thats gone they feel all they do is not being felt and in vain.
The government is the fuel
The media is the flammable hazard
Boko haram is the match box
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by xavier3(m): 12:08am On Aug 27, 2011
^^^^ Big Bang Theory of Terrorism
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by nawaforweo: 11:47pm On Aug 28, 2011
I think it is a global disgrace, and if you all read what former Minster Femi Fani Kayode was saying here, he seems to be pretty sure that the counts were greatly reduced intentionally.

http://ascology.com/news/local-news/19593-Search-for-relatives-answers-after-attack-Femi-Fani-Kayode-lashes-out.html

I think the UN must really probe what he's saying and be sure of this.
Re: Jonathan, Obama, Sarkozy, EU & The Rest Of The World Condemns Abuja Bombing by itiswell1(m): 7:00am On Aug 29, 2011
A show of shame. Nigeria in the news again

(1) (Reply)

Goruping The Nigerian Higher Institutions / When To Celebrate Your Birthday; 29th February Born. / Now That Professor Chinua Achebe Is Dead (photos and more)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.