Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,260 members, 7,815,420 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:06 PM

Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) (1234 Views)

Job Discrimination Based On Institution Graduated From / For Unemployed Graduates ONLY / Shell Discrimination Of HND Holders, Equating Them With Bsc Third Class. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by dellaz(f): 1:01am On Aug 24, 2007
Isnt it funny how u want to apply for a job and there's a age limit
attached to it?

Its common knowledge that evry1 cuts their age wen it comes to that!
What i dont get is why all this companies bother n the rationale behind it!!!

What has doing my job right git to do with my age?

Think its about time that policy changes for gud,just doesnt makes sense!!!!
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by PTH(m): 1:45am On Aug 24, 2007
dellaz:

Isnt it funny how u want to apply for a job and there's a age limit
attached to it?

Its common knowledge that evry1 cuts their age when it comes to that!
What i don't get is why all this companies bother n the rationale behind it!!!

What has doing my job right git to do with my age?

Think its about time that policy changes for good,just doesnt makes sense!!!!

Would it make a better policy decision to allow 50yr olds to also apply for the same position as a 20yr old?
Why would i want to employ a 35yr old when i can easily get a better qualified 20yr old?
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Nobody: 8:10am On Aug 24, 2007
PTH:

Would it make a better policy decision to allow 50yr olds to also apply for the same position as a 20yr old?
Why would i want to employ a 35yr old when i can easily get a better qualified 20yr old?

. . .and what if in the process you eventually get a 35 year old masquerading as a 20 year old?
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by sanrima(f): 8:50am On Aug 24, 2007
grin grin grin every job has its age specification and the employers request 4 younger employee so dat they can get the best from u while u are young but it doesn,t really hold water this days cos most people applying 4 a job limits their age just to meet the age bracket criteria of the job. abi who no wan get job? wink :D
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Uzokwe(m): 9:33am On Aug 24, 2007
It's just crazy that we descriminate. Being younger does not make anyone more productive. It's due to lack of jobs in Nigeria else such company policies would not have been in use. When you go into the web in search of jobs, you would discover that in advance countries, they don't use age limits. Even when the do, it would be like 40 to 50 yrs. They are more concerned about what you'v got to offer. Let's pray for more investors in the economy so that there would be enough jobs for us to catch even at 40 - 50 yrs.
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Gamba(f): 1:35pm On Aug 24, 2007
The most annoying COMPANIES with ridiculous age references are NBCand GTB. (26yrs)
This only make peopple to falsify their age. Some pple even have different C.V's for different age requirements.
Abeg i no blame them!
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by k9ine(m): 11:00pm On Aug 24, 2007
Very funny indeed. Let's  get realistic
In current Niaja, where a com. asks for a min age 26, 1 thing they forget is
current fresh graduate, lets say just finished their NYSC;
*At the time they entered pri sch, they where 6[/b]yrs( if your didnt touch the ear on the opposite ear, no adm.)
*[b]6[/b]yrs in primary school
*[b]6[/b]yrs in sec sch
* [b]1[/b]yr for JAMB
*At least [b]4[/b]yrs in the uni. most probably you get addtional 2yrs due to say 1. student strike  2. ASSU  strike 3.  complete labour strike( as in Frank Kokori's case - June 12)
*[b]I
yr NYSC
*lets say 1[/b]yr to search for jobs in Nigeri's mass level of unemployment
Putting all the yrs together - you get twenty six
I ve been very fair in making this assessment. For you to make 26 yrs, you either; [b]schooled abroad
, your father was rich  - then attended a private uni, and some other variables.
So, you see
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by olanajim(m): 12:17pm On Aug 25, 2007
But that is unrealistic, you know? It is not a secret that average age of Nigerians graduates is betweem 28 and 30. Don't forget that HND, spends minimum of 5 years. While some OND holders ended in Universities after graduation.

Somehow, there appears to be conscious attenpt at screening out the generation of Nigerian youths that were educated during the dark era of Nigerian history. Yet, those youths suffered for Nigeria. See what is now happening?

No wonder, Nigerian growth is stunted!
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by olanajim(m): 12:18pm On Aug 25, 2007
But that is unrealistic, you know? It is not a secret that average age of Nigerians graduates is betweem 28 and 30. Don't forget that HND, spends minimum of 5 years. While some OND holders ended in Universities after graduation.

Somehow, there appears to be conscious attenpt at screening out the generation of Nigerian youths that were educated during the dark era of Nigerian history. Yet, those youths suffered for Nigeria. See what is now happening?

Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by olanajim(m): 12:19pm On Aug 25, 2007

Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by oisrael(m): 12:42pm On Aug 25, 2007
k9ine:

*6[/b]years in sec sch
Sometimes, You've not obtained the requried papers for your desired course after Sec Sch. So maybe we add 1 or 2 more years of GCE
* [b]1[/b]yr for JAMB
Sometimes you may write JAMB 2ice or 3ice!
*At least [b]4[/b]years in the uni. most probably you get addtional 2yrs due to say 1. student strike 2. ASSU strike 3. complete labour strike( as in Frank Kokori's case - June 12)
*[b]I
yr NYSC
Sometimes your call up letter is delayed for 2 or 3 batches
Folks I'm no pessimist, just keeping it real cos I've seen such!
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by PTH(m): 1:31pm On Aug 25, 2007
k9ine:

Very funny indeed. Let's get realistic
In current Niaja, where a com. asks for a min age 26, 1 thing they forget is
current fresh graduate, lets say just finished their NYSC;
*At the time they entered pri sch, they where 6[/b]years( if your didnt touch the ear on the opposite ear, no adm.)
*[b]6[/b]years in primary school
*[b]6[/b]years in sec sch
* [b]1[/b]yr for JAMB
*At least [b]4[/b]years in the uni. most probably you get addtional 2yrs due to say 1. student strike 2. ASSU strike 3. complete labour strike( as in Frank Kokori's case - June 12)
*[b]I
yr NYSC
*lets say 1[/b]yr to search for jobs in Nigeri's mass level of unemployment
Putting all the years together - you get twenty six
I ve been very fair in making this assessment. For you to make 26 years, you either; [b]schooled abroad
, your father was rich - then attended a private uni, and some other variables.
So, you see

This is inherently a flawed argument. I did not school abroad, did not have a rich father and attended a public university. I finished NYSC at 23, my younger brother finished at 22 and several other friends i know of.
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Naijapikin(m): 4:43pm On Aug 25, 2007
PTH:

This is inherently a flawed argument. I did not school abroad, did not have a rich father and attended a public university. I finished NYSC at 23, my younger brother finished at 22 and several other friends i know of.

K9nine analysis is reliable. PTH, u are among the very very very very very, few naija ''blessed' by finishing on time. Those who finished from OAU will know better.
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Ugox: 6:33pm On Aug 25, 2007
pls let's all note that this job market terrain in nigeria is quite delicate and slippery. actually, in any well developed society with good leaders, every graduate deserves a job, and is entitled to a good one if the leaders are doing thier job. becos there arent enough jobs available, the companys have to resort to all manner of conditions and embargos, JUST TO SIMPLY REDUCE THE NUMBER OF APPLICATIONS THEY HAVE TO PROCESS. My candid opinion is that those who have graduated earlier or have gotten great jobs speedily should simply thank God and see how they can help others with information and otherwise. never pays to be proud,chaps.

and for those who may not have age on their side, simply ask for the right info.there are still lots of opportunities out there, but also, it is your duty to advise those coming after u wisely, so that they may learn from your experiences.
Re: Age Discrimination:why Do We Deceive Ourselves? (for Naija Graduates Only) by Seun(m): 10:03pm On Aug 25, 2007
People should have the freedom to employ anyone they feel will do the job well.

(1) (Reply)

Chevron Next Stage Interview / Vacancy At Usaid / Freelance Writer

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.