Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,355 members, 7,853,573 topics. Date: Friday, 07 June 2024 at 07:22 PM

Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida (447 Views)

2023: Court Okays Suit Seeking Tinubu Trial Over Alleged Perjury / 2023: Court Asked To Bar APC From Replacing Masari As Tinubu’s VP / Court Of Appeal Didn't Declare Adebutu As Ogun Pdp Governor Ship Candidate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 11:10am On Dec 01, 2022
Justice Inyang Ekwo of the Federal High Court on Thursday in Abuja affirmed the election of Hon. Oladipupo Adebutu as the lawful candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) in next year’s governorship election in Ogun State.

Justice Ekwo, in affirming the election of Adebutu by his party, held that the plaintiff, Mr Jimi Adebisi Lawal, failed to prove that the PDP breached its laws in selecting its flag bearer for the March 11, 2023 governorship poll.

According to the judge, Lawal failed to provide reliable and credible evidence to support his case of electoral malpractice.

Justice Ekwo accordingly dismissed the suit for being incompetent and lacking in merit.

Details later

https://dailypost.ng/2022/12/01/ogun-2023-court-dismisses-lawals-suit-affirms-adebutu-as-rightful-pdp-candidate
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 11:12am On Dec 01, 2022
Ogun in the bag according to Sodiq, Eleyi ti luuu leee. angry grin grin angry angry grin grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 11:48am On Dec 01, 2022
Jimi Lawal, how far? grin grin grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 11:56am On Dec 01, 2022
Adekolaelect baba Offa, sighted you. angry angry grin grin grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by fergie001: 11:57am On Dec 01, 2022
iwaeda:
Adekolaelect baba Offa, sighted you. angry angry grin grin grin
Don't mind me, I love background stories grin

Justice Inyang Edem Ekwo of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, has affirmed the Governorship primary that produced Oladipupo Olatunde Adebutu as the Candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) for the forthcoming March 11, 2023 Gubernatorial Election.

The suit was filed by an aggrieved Governorship aspirant, Otunba Jimi Adebisi Lawal with the PDP, Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) and Adebutu as 1st, 2nd and 3rd defendants respectively.

Lawal, who contested the May 25 governorship primary poll (alongside Adebutu) of the PDP, had challenged the emergence of the 3rd defendant as the Party’s candidate.

He alleged that an unlawful delegates list was used by the party to conduct its election.

Lawal, amongst others, had prayed that the purported primary election of May 25 be cancelled and another be conducted with the authentic ad-hoc delegates.

In a July 29 judgement, Justice Taiwo Obayomi Taiwo (now retired) of the Federal High Court in Abuja, held that the delegates election was the domestic affairs of a Political Party. He declined jurisdiction and further dismissed the suit.

Dissatisfied with the ruling, Lawal approached the Appeal Court to reverse the decision of the lower Court. In a unanimous ruling on September 30, Justice Biobele Abraham Georgewill JCA set aside Justice Taiwo's judgement and ordered the case file be returned to the Chief Judge for the case to be heard on its merit by another Judge.

The PDP and Adebutu approached the Supreme Court, praying Justice Taiwo's ruling be upheld. In dismissing the appeal, the apex court agreed with the Court of Appeal that the trial court has jurisdiction under Section 285 of the 1999 CFRN and section 84 (14) of the Electoral Act 2022 to hear the matter of Lawal on its merit.

The Supreme Court ordered that the case be remitted to the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court in Abuja for determination by another judge. In a unanimous ruling of a five-man panel of the apex Court, Justice Ibrahim Mohammed Musa Saulawa JSC, who delivered the leading judgement ordered an expeditious hearing within the time allowed by law.

In a ruling on Thursday, Justice Ekwo held that: the plaintiff had no reliable evidence to substantiate his claims. He ruled that it is not the business of the Courts to choose Candidates for political parties in an election.

Justice Ekwo further dismissed the suit for been frivolous, incompetent and lacking in merit.
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 12:17pm On Dec 01, 2022
fergie001:

Don't mind me, I love background stories grin

Baba Fergie grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by fergie001: 12:25pm On Dec 01, 2022
iwaeda:
Baba Fergie grin grin grin grin grin
Na soooo

iwaeda:
Ogun in the bag according to Sodiq, Eleyi ti luuu leee. angry grin grin angry angry grin grin
SodiqTade dey worry well well grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by Juniorpope123: 12:35pm On Dec 01, 2022
What I know is that come 2023. Peter Obi will be the president of Nigeria
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 12:37pm On Dec 01, 2022
fergie001:
Na soooo

SodiqTade dey worry well well grin
You know him too, let me buy you a bag. grin grin grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by Sammy07: 12:38pm On Dec 01, 2022
PDP unserious opposition in Ogun.
Like Lagos, like Ogun.

Definitely, daru Dapo will win (with not large difference) and power is going to Yewa. (Yayi patiently waiting). After Yayi hopefully, power should return to Egba.

I really prayed either way it turned out, power should go to Yewa embarassed
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by fergie001: 12:53pm On Dec 01, 2022
iwaeda:

You know him too, let me buy you a bag. grin grin grin
Whether I know him?

Baba bags don plenty grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 2:57pm On Dec 01, 2022
fergie001:
Whether I know him?

Baba bags don plenty grin

grin grin grin grin
Re: Ogun 2023: Court Dismisses Lawal’s Suit, Affirms Adebutu As Rightful PDP Candida by iwaeda: 4:37pm On Dec 01, 2022
Nlfpmod grin grin

(1) (Reply)

Just In: Osinbajo Arrives Vietnam, To Meet President & VP Of Vietnam / 2023: Tinubu,pride Goes Before A Fall.. / Kwara, Kogi Female Candidates Converge In Ilorin For Women Radio Workshop

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.