Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,848 members, 7,813,875 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 08:22 PM

Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit - Car Talk (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit (27907 Views)

What You Didn't Know About The International Driver's License / Lagos Begins Cleanup Of Illegal Motor Parks Under Bridges / Lagos Begins Compulsory Computerized Vehicle Inspection (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by valentineuwakwe(m): 12:08pm On Dec 02, 2022
What now happens to our national drivers license or international laws now overides our national laws.....
Is that applicable in othr countries? I mean U.S. citizens will jettison their drivers licences and start issuing international ones...
This country self
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by ATEAMS: 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2022
Omoulh
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by sainthumble: 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2022
All I have to say is izorit
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Nobody: 12:09pm On Dec 02, 2022
veekid:
You go still reapply for DL when you get to UK. It's meaningless

If this is the genuine article, and not some caper from VIO Lagos, then yes, you can drive in the UK..for up to 12 months. ..then you have to apply for DL in the UK.

(Though with the good public transport in the UK, you may not need to drive much.)
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Nobody: 12:13pm On Dec 02, 2022
valentineuwakwe:
What now happens to our national drivers license or international laws now overides our national laws.....
Is that applicable in othr countries? I mean U.S. citizens will jettison their drivers licences and start issuing international ones...
This country self

It just means that with an international driver's permit, you will be able to drive in any of the countries that accepts the IDP.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by nedekid: 12:14pm On Dec 02, 2022
Nice one.
Efforts should intensify to maintain the roads as you cannot have bad roads and then expect vehicles to be in good condition.
Anyway good to see effort is being made to fix the roads.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by lomprico(m): 12:15pm On Dec 02, 2022
SmartMen:
This thing has been in existence jare.... which one is Lagos begins issuing something that people have been getting? lol...

I wonder o!

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Alexbio: 12:18pm On Dec 02, 2022
JasonScoolari:
Commendable from the Lagos State Government...

New development like this is a good way to usher Mr. Peter Obi in as President.

Any correlation between Peter Obi and Lagos State? You ND your clowns wan reap where una no sow? Robbers wey dey wear high-heel

Afterall Peter represents "betrayal"
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Evergreen12345(f): 12:19pm On Dec 02, 2022
Tire you no get
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by lifenija: 12:20pm On Dec 02, 2022
Shetemi12:
We sympathize with Peter Obi is on his upcoming Electoral Loss!

Very use.less of a running mate to say!
for u to b hoping a old man who can't make a complete sentence become a president shows how stupid n dead inside u are.

Illiteracy is a disease n u have em in u

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Jeromejnr(m): 12:20pm On Dec 02, 2022
ExpressBooking:
You don't wake up and decide to issue international driving permit, Nigeria must have to be a party to the convention on international driving licence/permit. I think there are two conventions on that and I don't know if Nigeria belongs to any nor have ratified any. Not so sure

Sometimes I wonder if many of you on Nairaland think you are more knowledgeable than people who are at the fore front of certain matters.

So you think people responsible for this license don't know? Or you just want to show that you know some things?

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Cantonese: 12:21pm On Dec 02, 2022
ShenTeh:
Great idea but poor reportage.

Beyond the constitutional provision for the issuance, what does this imply for the people?

Why is it necessary? What are it's benefits?

How are people to apply for it and how is it applied to (what use).

Etc.

Answer the basic W questions and How, you won't, but run to press.

It’s not in anyway new. It has always been there, except that they have chosen to use it as a political tool.

International driver’s licenses were always issued at Ikeja local government for usage outside the country. It used to be in a folded card form with one’s passport picture attached to it. You did not need to write an examination to get one. All you needed was some money to get it, the same day. With it, you could drive in West African countries, without fear or molestation. The licenses were issued by the Federal government and not Lagos state government.

Now the question one would ask is if Lagos state government is not over reaching itself. Will the users of such driver’s license not be stopped on federal highways by the FRSC? Would users of such licenses not attempt to use them while driving in other states? Has Lagos state government got the right to issue driver’s licenses in any form? There are certainly many questions to ask.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Tesclaros(m): 12:22pm On Dec 02, 2022
Kobonaire234:

It just means that with an international driver's permit, you will be able to drive in any of the countries that accepts the IDP.
I have international drivers license.. can i still drive in foreign countries without the IDP cos i have only have the IDL

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by obyno1010: 12:22pm On Dec 02, 2022
Nigeria belongs to both the Geneva and Vienna conventions. It doesnt take more than 2clicks to verify on google.

ExpressBooking:
You don't wake up and decide to issue international driving permit, Nigeria must have to be a party to the convention on international driving licence/permit. I think there are two conventions on that and I don't know if Nigeria belongs to any nor have ratified any. Not so sure

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Pimpstar: 12:23pm On Dec 02, 2022
With the way Nigerians drive?

Well they must be educated on road signs and rules. If not alot of people would be flagged down alot

Nigerians drive like like they don't care about their life and the life other road users.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by uniquetechng: 12:24pm On Dec 02, 2022
Jeromejnr:

Sometimes I wonder if many of you on Nairaland think you are more knowledgeable than people who are at the fore front of certain matters.

So you think people responsible for this license don't know? Or you just want to show that you know some things?
Many of the people at the forefront as you refers to them are actually half-baked illiterates that's why they keep coming up with stupi.d policies that keep taking the country backward.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Nobody: 12:25pm On Dec 02, 2022
Tesclaros:
I have international drivers license.. can i still drive in foreign countries without the IDP cos i have only have the IDL

I think so, but still check requirements based on the country ye want to drive in
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by azikiweironsi(m): 12:28pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ybholy:
Good news. I want to be able to use my license in London

Where ? Trust United Kingdom for integrity.
If you like bring your driver's licence from moon or Jupiter, you must undergo their driving school, and must pass their both driving and road test before the issuance of their own driver's licence.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by ShenTeh(m): 12:30pm On Dec 02, 2022
Cantonese:

It’s not in anyway new. It has always been there, except that they have chosen to use it as a political tool.

International driver’s licenses were always issued at Ikeja local government for usage outside the country. It used to be in a folded card form with one’s passport picture attached to it. You did not need to write an examination to get one. All you needed was some money to get it, the same day. With it, you could drive in West African countries, without fear or molestation. The licenses were issued by the Federal government and not Lagos state government.

Now the question one would ask is if Lagos state government is not over reaching itself. Will the users of such driver’s license not be stopped on federal highways by the FRSC? Would users of such licenses not attempt to use them while driving in other states? Has Lagos state government got the right to issue driver’s licenses in any form? There are certainly many questions to ask.

Certainly.
Thank you.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Myfuture01(m): 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2022
Beautiful
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Cantonese: 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ybholy:

Don’t you dare.

The British are very strict with driving and licenses.

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Freelane33(m): 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2022
veekid:
You go still reapply for DL when you get to UK. It's meaningless
Very very
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by rickleye: 12:32pm On Dec 02, 2022
inoki247:
I fit use the International permit drive for outside the country shocked shocked shocked

International passport we neva see am distribute we jump go International Drivers License....

anyway Issa welcome development....

Why do we say international passport is there a national passport ? Is there a national drivers license that we need International one ?
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by kwasoly(m): 12:33pm On Dec 02, 2022
Shetemi12:
We sympathize with Peter Obi is on his upcoming Electoral Loss!

Very use.less of a running mate to say!

On behalf of obedient family we sympathize with your family for being prodigal and senseless.
Goat
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Eniitankorede: 12:36pm On Dec 02, 2022
JasonScoolari:
Commendable from the Lagos State Government...

New development like this is a good way to usher Mr. Peter Obi in as President.

Peter Obi koh, Obituary ni!!! Tinubu all the way. Obi should ho back to Anambra and lead over them properly. Dhatti is speaking in tongues already. Obi is not a good leader, not a team player. The whole of the ragtag party is enmeshed in corruption. Obi is a scam and a failure. God forbid bad thing.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Pharaohny: 12:37pm On Dec 02, 2022
Tinubu campaign money must accumulated by all means useless set of people
#VOTEOBIDATTI

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Eniitankorede: 12:37pm On Dec 02, 2022
post=118843932:
What is the difference between Normal Driving License And International Driving License

This is vehicle MOT, not drivers license.
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by paradigmshift(m): 12:39pm On Dec 02, 2022
It's meaningless
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by KanuSE: 12:39pm On Dec 02, 2022
Ybholy:

No try am!
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Tesclaros(m): 12:41pm On Dec 02, 2022
Kobonaire234:

I think so, but still check requirements based on the country ye want to drive in
SA requires IDP .. But my friend in UK is driving with IDL

1 Like

Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by Antoeni(m): 12:49pm On Dec 02, 2022
ViO is As Evil As LASTMA
Re: Lagos Begins Issuing International Driver’s Permit by sonogo(m): 12:52pm On Dec 02, 2022
I got this thing in 2014 nah, which come be say Lagos is issuing international driver’s license. Abeg make election do and pass make rest jare.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Alex Ephraims & His Locally Made Combatant Vehicle Spotted In Imo / It Will Cost You ₦7.3m To Rent Bugatti Veyron For A Day,Price Of Honda Civic / Dream Cars Of Our Fathers From The Past.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.