Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,741 members, 7,817,044 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:40 AM

Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? (1182 Views)

IPOB Releases Identities Of Dead Protesters / Funniest Quotes From Our Nigerian Leaders / Nigerians Again: NYC Temp Accused Of Stealing Identities (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Easyy(m): 10:49am On Aug 24, 2007
I have observed a trend in which most Nigerians who leave the country in search of greener pastures, in their eagerness to embrace the cultures of their new environments, not only take in the new cultures but also denigrate Nigerian ways of life outrightly. Whilst there may be aspects of our new found cultures that seem appealing to us, we do not have to take it for granted that such aspects will necessarily be of benefit to our own unique society.

Every society needs to devise ways of progress to suit it's own unique values, ways and aspirations.

The rest of the world mainly mirrors Nigeria from the view presented to them by those Nigerians who live abroad, no matter how much those Nigerians do not reflect the majority view or pattern. For instance, in my city, many people tend to think that Nigerians drink a lot and smoke a lot of weed because they meet many Nigerians who smoke weed. It is therefore imperative that Nigerians abroad think about the image we project to the rest of world by our utterances and our actions because these will ultimately affect future generations of Nigerians.

We, as Nigerians, have things which stand us out from the rest of the world. We have many things that we should celebrate and applaud about our ways of life. Of course, we also have negative things that need to be expunged. The attitude which seems to be prevalent with many of us who live abroad is one of disdain and contempt for anything that has a Nigerian touch. This is pathetic, to put it mildly. We cannot be what we are not, so to try and deny or denigrate what we really are will, in the long run, leave us with nothing to identify us. This will painfully mean that we are striving to be like other people and we will remain nothing but second class humans in the world.

Do we need to sacrifice everything that stands us out on the altar of some of us who believe that 'our' destinies lie away from home?

If our future generations have nothing which identifies them uniquely, they will always struggle to be like other people and they can never be natural. It is akin to what happened to African Americans but theirs was inflicted against their will whereas we seem to be unwittingly mortgaging the humanity and identities of our future generations. They are NEVER going to become Europeans. They will always have the Nigerianess in them but they will struggle when what they should be naturally has been mortgaged by their so-called fathers and mothers.

Please let us preserve our identities
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Nobody: 11:20am On Aug 24, 2007
True talk oh but I hope you have a bullet proof vest because your fellow Nigerians living Abroad will start attcking you now.
Take Cover, me I don run comot
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by BABEELOVE(f): 3:20pm On Aug 24, 2007
aisha2:

True talk oh but I hope you have a bullet proof vest because your fellow Nigerians living Abroad will start attcking you now.
Take Cover, me I don run comot

Nothing like that!---- "Sweet Wind" grin No more fight!

Identity is a choice! Everyone should play their part well. All we need is a plan! No where in the world that any identity stays the same, even in China. You may keep your genetic blue prints--but your attires are always changing to suit your environment.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by laudate: 8:05pm On Aug 24, 2007
@ Babelove,

Ah, you don waka reach here, too?? wink
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by TayoD(m): 8:23pm On Aug 24, 2007
@Easyy,

In order to be crystal clear, maybe you need to list the identities you really think Nigeirans abroad have betrayed. What stands you out as a Nigerian compared to other Nationalities? Your mentioning crack smoking seems way unfounded to me as I am yet to meet any Nigerian here that is that irresponsible. Maybe it is your neck of the woods. I will advice you introduce our local snuff to these our people so they can maintain our national heritage in diaspora. grin
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Bankole01(m): 8:34pm On Aug 24, 2007
TayoD:

@Easyy,

In order to be crystal clear, maybe you need to list the identities you really think Nigeirans abroad have betrayed. What stands you out as a Nigerian compared to other Nationalities? Your mentioning crack smoking seems way unfounded to me as I am yet to meet any Nigerian here that is that irresponsible. Maybe it is your neck of the woods. I will advice you introduce our local snuff to these our people so they can maintain our national heritage in diaspora. grin

All dis tok about Nigerians abroad na so so jelosi jelosi. Hao pesin wey be dokter or lawyer go begin smoke crack.

Nigerians at home are worse let me tell you. I have seen families with children unable to speak their native language. The family pretend to be like Americans or other and speak only Enlglish to their children.
We end up with little brats who don't listen to their parents and parents afraid to discipline their wards.

Now tell me who is the maradona, eroding their heritage!!!!!!!!
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by mordebe: 11:09pm On Aug 24, 2007
ventriloquising:

In the 7th century, when Africans colonised Spain and Portugal and ruled them for 600 years, the Europeans became afraid and insecure because they thought we were going wipe out their heritage. The repercussion of that is the "Black Legend", mass murder and racism we're still suffering today.

When Khoikhoi and Zulu Jews who settled in Austria began to intermarry with the germanic peoples before, during and after World War I, the Germans and Hitler were terrified at the thought of losing their heritage and when they got a chance in World War II, they slaughtered hundreds of thousands of African Jews, more than 2 million "Rhineland Bastards" whom were the result of the intermarriage between these jews with German women, and millions of Europeans who allowed themselves to be converted to jews or adopted the lifestyle of jews were shipped off as slaves to concentration camps.

So was the magnitude of the punishment we recieved for trying to influence the heritage of Europeans.

They never thought one day, we'd be at the recieving end and we'd take it smiling. It's amazing. But they did it anyway.

That maga, Seun ban me sha for no reason, so I just say make I used a friend ID let my people know say it is important to protect our heritage, but Africans have always progressed by incorporating the good parts of other people's culture into our heritage and throwing away the bad. So no shaking. All join.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by BABEELOVE(f): 4:11am On Aug 25, 2007
laudate:

@ Babelove,

Ah, you don waka reach here, too?? wink

Sharp sharp!!!! cheesy grin

Bankole01:

All this tok about Nigerians abroad na so so jelosi jelosi. Hao pesin wey be dokter or lawyer go begin smoke crack.

Nigerians at home are worse let me tell you. I have seen families with children unable to speak their native language. The family pretend to be like Americans or other and speak only Enlglish to their children.
We end up with little brats who don't listen to their parents and parents afraid to discipline their wards.

Please oh Banky!!!  Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!  you want to start another fight  This thread will just end up in "Travel" section like all the others.  Easy oh!!!

mordebe:

ventriloquising:

In the 7th century, when Africans colonised Spain and Portugal and ruled them for 600 years, the Europeans became afraid and insecure because they thought we were going wipe out their heritage. The repercussion of that is the "Black Legend", mass murder and racism we're still suffering today.

When Khoikhoi and Zulu Jews who settled in Austria began to intermarry with the germanic peoples before, during and after World War I, the Germans and Hitler were terrified at the thought of losing their heritage and when they got a chance in World War II, they slaughtered hundreds of thousands of African Jews, more than 2 million "Rhineland Bastards" whom were the result of the intermarriage between these jews with German women, and millions of Europeans who allowed themselves to be converted to jews or adopted the lifestyle of jews were shipped off as slaves to concentration camps.

So was the magnitude of the punishment we recieved for trying to influence the heritage of Europeans.

They never thought one day, we'd be at the recieving end and we'd take it smiling. It's amazing. But they did it anyway.

That maga, Seun ban me sha for no reason, so I just say make I used a friend ID let my people know say it is important to protect our heritage, but Africans have always progressed by incorporating the good parts of other people's culture into our heritage and throwing away the bad. So no shaking. All join.

angry angry angry angry----------denex, I miss you oh! cry cry cry cry cry  use another name take come back now!!!  What are you waiting for angry angry angry angry  See as political section just dry!!!!

1 Like

Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by PTH(m): 1:27pm On Aug 25, 2007
BABEELOVE:

angry angry angry angry----------denex, I miss you oh! cry cry cry cry cry use another name take come back now!!! What are you waiting for angry angry angry angry See as political section just dry!!!!

yeah, it gets dry when we have empty heads like you disrupting the flow of threads you have the misfortune of stumbling into.

Bankole01:

All this tok about Nigerians abroad na so so jelosi jelosi. Hao pesin wey be dokter or lawyer go begin smoke crack.

I have to agree with you here. What really is the Nigerian identity? yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Itshekiri, Ijaw, or Urhobo? How many Nigerians home or abroad identify themselves FIRST by their ethnic origins and Nigerians second?
We dont even have a unifying national identity in Nigeria, every attempt to do so is jeopardised by useless government policies like Federal character designed to keep us forever in remembrance of the fact that some Nigerians are more equal than others.

We have private schools were speaking the "vernacular" is banned or frowned upon. Children are taught to speak English like American or British citizens and we blame those abroad of trading away their identities? What identities are they trading away?
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by BABEELOVE(f): 6:59am On Aug 26, 2007
PTH:

yeah, it gets dry when we have empty heads like you disrupting the flow of threads you have the misfortune of stumbling into.

I have to agree with you here. What really is the Nigerian identity? yoruba, Igbo, Hausa, Itshekiri, Ijaw, or Urhobo? How many Nigerians home or abroad identify themselves FIRST by their ethnic origins and Nigerians second?
We don't even have a unifying national identity in Nigeria, every attempt to do so is jeopardised by useless government policies like Federal character designed to keep us forever in remembrance of the fact that some Nigerians are more equal than others.

We have private schools were speaking the "vernacular" is banned or frowned upon. Children are taught to speak English like American or British citizens and we blame those abroad of trading away their identities? What identities are they trading away?

Hmmmmmm!!! lipsrsealed
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by ClimieNH89: 7:42pm On Aug 26, 2007
It's a matter of being happy. If the Nigerian culture doesn't satisfy you, you can as well adopt another one.

This is not a matter of betraying your mother-land. haba! In this world there is something called survivor, when you are in a new land, you have to adapt to the new environment or you'll look totally isolated from everyone!
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by TayoD(m): 10:22pm On Aug 26, 2007
@ClimieNH89,

ClimieNH89:

It's a matter of being happy. If the Nigerian culture doesn't satisfy you, you can as well adopt another one.
This is not a matter of betraying your mother-land. haba! In this world there is something called survivor, when you are in a new land, you have to adapt to the new environment or you'll look totally isolated from everyone!
Can you please tell us what the Nigerian Culture is? Does Nigeria have a culture? Or are you trying to talk about the cultures of the various nationalities within the almagamation called Nigeria?

And by the way, you don't need to be in the US to lose your cultural heritage. The average Nigerian Artist today is busy trying to be an American, and the funny thing is that they are selling albums like mad. Maybe we should start by having Tu-face, Idris, Planteshun Boyz etc sing only juju music, fuji or highlife. That way, we can at least say that our charity began at home before going to the diaspora!
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by ClimieNH89: 10:49pm On Aug 26, 2007

Can you please tell us what the Nigerian Culture is? Does Nigeria have a culture? Or are you trying to talk about the cultures of the various nationalities within the almagamation called Nigeria?
[quote/]

Various nationalities? More of the individual ethnic group. That was a mistake of mine. There is nothing like a Nigerian culture.

And by the way, you don't need to be in the US to lose your cultural heritage. The average Nigerian Artist today is busy trying to be an American, and the funny thing is that they are selling albums like mad. Maybe we should start by having Tu-face, Idris, Planteshun Boyz etc sing only juju music, fuji or highlife. That way, we can at least say that our charity began at home before going to the diaspora!
[quote/]

Sorry but I don't agree. We should consider it a good thing that our musicians are moving beyond Africa. Music is a means of communication so it has to necessarily adapt to the taste of the majority of the audience.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Tats(m): 11:28pm On Aug 26, 2007
This thread like all its 'brothers' and 'sisters' with similar lines of discussions/argument seem to be appearing in nairaland and changing its title like a chameleon changes its colour (Trade identity to foreign land, Diasporans pack shit, internet war fight - NINs vs NIDs, loose your Nigerian nationality, e.t.c.). I am rather certain that I cannot continue to engage in them except they are well conceived, rational and makes sense to me  As for me, if you are not satisfied with your work or living overseas, go home. if you are not satisfied with same in Nigeria, change base! Life is not too complicated. Hundreds of thousands of British nationals live in foreign countries such as Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Canada, e.t.c and continue to move there everyday. So what the fuss about living in another country?

Take a look at these:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6161705.stm
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/6210358.stm.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Easyy(m): 11:48am On Aug 27, 2007
TayoD:

@Easyy,

Thank you Tayo

Nigeria is not homogeneous in that sense. However, it is the different attributes that I allude to. I do not want to start naming each and every one of these attributes: as a matter of fact, I am incapable of it. If I name some of them, I will open this up to too many unnecessary arguments.

There are indeed several aspects of Nigerian life, Igbo, Yoruba or Hausa, that are gradually being eroded by western influence. I am old enough to realise that many aspects of our lifestyles are no more. I am at risk of being accused of trying to prevent change but change needs to be tempered with some measure of appreciation for hitherto existing traditions or practices.

I did not mention crack. I said weed. And yes, you may not see Nigerians who smoke weed but they do indeed exist plentifully and there are many professionals who do this; and I think they do tend to mix more easily with those of other nationalities who engage in those habits as well.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Easyy(m): 11:53am On Aug 27, 2007
Bankole01:

who exactly is jealous of who?

I can imagine what your thought system is like by your belief that being a lawyer or doctor precludes anyone from being a drug user. I posit that the reason many families tend to teach their children English to the detriment of their own language is because they see a society where English is everything; a society where we have started believing that a person who speaks/writes better English is necessarily better and more intelligent than the other.

If you see families where children dont listen to their parents in Nigeria, that's not what my experience is. I think you'll find that children are more likely to disregard their parents in Europe and America than in Nigeria.
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by Easyy(m): 11:59am On Aug 27, 2007
PTH:

We don't even have a unifying national identity in Nigeria, every attempt to do so is jeopardised by useless government policies like Federal character designed to keep us forever in remembrance of the fact that some Nigerians are more equal than others.

I dont think the Nigerian identity is such an easy one to define. It's as complex as the nation itself. I believe that a combination of the various identities is what can be termed a Nigerian identity. Each society needs to try and protect every one of it's heritage.

The westernisation and our collective sense of subordination contributes to the situation which makes us desire foreign languages and ways of life over ours, even where these foreign languages and ways are very unsuitable to our own peculiar society
Re: Are We Trading Away Our Nigerian Identities? by osereka(m): 2:04pm On Aug 27, 2007
yes we are, HOME AND ABROAD!

(1) (Reply)

End Of US-dollars? / South Africa's Biting Electricity Problem / Bukhari Bello Is New Inec Boss

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.