Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,825 members, 7,851,780 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 08:00 AM

How Can Africa Win The World Cup (opinion) - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / How Can Africa Win The World Cup (opinion) (154 Views)

Opinion: Mikel, A Key To Success Or Failure Of Super Eagles In 2018 World Cup / Can Africa Make It In The 2018 World Cup? / Cameroon Vs Nigeria: 2018 FIFA World Cup Qualifier 1 - 1 (Full Time) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

How Can Africa Win The World Cup (opinion) by thedio(m): 11:24am On Dec 08, 2022
I think Africa should forget about winning the world cup for now. We should go back to drawing board and draw out our lost identity.
Playing European style of football cannot give us the the world cup glory especially the west Africans who are naturally slow and lack the basics. Majority of African players started playing football in the street with no proper soccer education, we relied on naturally talent and skills whereas the European teach the ward the basics right from infants.

With my little understanding of the round leather game I believe africa can conquer the world if we develop our robust,compact and dribbling model of football that is built on our strength. We can't copy their style and beat them to it. We can only try. The system of passing the ball around, marking of space instead of man and crossing of ball to the opponent box with precision is beyond us.

If you watch Cameroon in Italia 90,Nigeria in USA 94,Atlanta 96 and Senegal in Japan Korea you will agree with me that our model of soccer is not only superb but also entertaining.

If African countries can build a standard academy with world class facilities and employe former african international and trainer I believe Africa will shake the world of soccer.
Sending our boys to Europe at 16yrs where they would be taught to kick ball around to keep the flow, when they have not fully discovered themselve is killing their talent. Remember John Obi Mikel,Haruna Ibrahim,Rabiu Ibrahim and many other players like them at under 17 and 20.
Its not too late to start,we have all it takes to rule the world of soccer.RISE UP AFRICA
Re: How Can Africa Win The World Cup (opinion) by yinkeys(m): 12:51pm On Dec 08, 2022
@thedio good write up
I agree with it

I’m not saying we shouldn’t be dynamic but
we need to carve our own philosophy by concentrating on our strengths in this beautiful game

We’d be wasting our time if we think we’d conquer Europeans with their style of play
Ex Footballers should make up a national technical board.
This is the only way we can win this trophy else we are wasting our time
The earlier we begin to impose our style/identity on the game the better
A 10 to 12 years plan can get this job done
We can win 2034 World Cup if only they start now
The game has advanced rapidly to European strengths, which is also one reason why even South Americans have failed to get their hands on the trophy for about 20 years.
Only now they have a generation of great players that might get the job done

Argentina, England, France, Brazil & Portugal are the 5 amongst the quarterfinals that are serious contenders
@thesupernerd

(1) (Reply)

Argentina 2 (4) Netherlands 2 (3): Messi World Cup Hopes Still Alive Thanks To M / Piers Morgan Goes After Lionel Messi With A Comment From Cristiano Ronaldo / Morocco Brought Africa Glory

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.