Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,528 members, 7,816,290 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:55 AM

My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate - Jobs/Vacancies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate (2392 Views)

What's The Salary For Non-medical HND Graduate At A University Teaching Hospital / May & Baker Nigeria Plc HND/Bsc Graduate and Exp. Positions / Lagos Oil Company HND/Bsc Graduate Positions (=N=400K Monthly) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 12:11pm On Dec 10, 2022
I remember when we were still in the higher institution, our HOD kept saying that if we graduated with Distinction /first class, getting a high-ticket Job would be so easy even as an HND Graduate.

And that even the institution would recommend us and we were going to get Job offers from here and there.
This was one of the reasons then I told myself I would graduate with a First class and Yes I did.

Let me brag a Little!! cheesy

After NYSC, the reverse was the case sadly, the few of us that graduated with first class were recommended to only one Organisation that was publicly owned and we never got Feedback even after several follow up.

At that point, I was already desperate as NYSC allowance has stopped coming.

Then I started applying for Jobs, I just wanted to do anything.

Now I already have heard about the dichotomy between HND & Bsc Graduates in the Labour Market.

But, I always had the mindset that My degree is not my Limitation.

During my Job hunt, I Came in contact with some Firms who rejected me at the point of Application because I was an HND Graduate. (They said they don't employ HND Graduate)

Meanwhile, they were some that accepted my application and gave me a chance to be interviewed at least.

This is what I want to speak about.

Now, on one of those interviews, especially the one where I ended up being selected for the Job Role I observed some things.

1) It wasn't about my degree �, it was about my show of competence to be able to handle the role well. I remember being selected among Bsc graduates too.

2) I never sold myself short because I was an HND Graduate.

3) Everyone Likes Excellence. Immediately they spotted that I graduated with Distinction, they already have positive expectations about me.

4) I was willing to learn and grow and I wasn't expecting to be paid Millions of Naira for a start.

Also, While in school, I was already exposed to the Branding World in Business. I did part-time Jobs as a Brand Promoter.

These Jobs were contract based and most times payments were delayed for a long while which was not helping.

Then one day, I went back to my drawing board, picked up my study materials I had learned before, started practicing and I started producing Creams, soaps and all,

I even created an Online training platform where i taught others how to do same, and it sustained me until i got my 1st Full time Job.

But then, here are some things that helped me personally and could also help anyone who's Unemployed whether you are a HND or Bsc Graduate.

1) Never Stop Upgrading Your Self:

I didn't stop adding value myself. This is why I decided to upgrade my HND to Bsc. I defended my Thesis few days ago and it was successful.

10 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by VinaCrush(m): 3:54pm On Dec 10, 2022
Even us wey get Bsc till date neva see work.

8 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 4:19pm On Dec 10, 2022
shocked
VinaCrush:
Even us wey get Bsc till date neva see work.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Nairalander248: 7:02pm On Dec 10, 2022
So I got my job before my NYSC, it's all about connection...

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Roboto11: 7:28pm On Dec 10, 2022
Nairalander248:
So I got my job before my NYSC, it's all about connection...

Connection my foot.
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by checkmatez: 8:11pm On Dec 10, 2022
Op what did you study...
Could find it in the write-up
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Wickedfacts: 8:14pm On Dec 10, 2022
Your thread never finish, you will still come back here to open thread.

The money and time you spent acquiring certificate upon certificate only to start looking for a job, you should have spent it learning a digital skill.
Video editing alone can keep you in business for a long time and you'll control your billing.

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by SirJerrie(m): 8:19pm On Dec 10, 2022
Piece of Advice:
[Network as much as possible!!!
Know people!!!
Networking will take you places where your Certificate won't even smell...
Nonetheless, NEVER STOP UPGRADING YOURSELF
So that when the opportunity comes, you'll be steps ahead your competitions
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Nairalander248: 5:27am On Dec 11, 2022
Roboto11:

Connection my foot.

Lol
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by TheWolfen(m): 6:33am On Dec 11, 2022
Roboto11:

Connection my foot.
Do you live in Nigeria?
Connection is as important as food itself here.
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by DesChyko: 8:22am On Dec 11, 2022
Roboto11:

Connection my foot.

No worry. You go soon wake up.
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Rubyjade: 10:25am On Dec 11, 2022
Protect yourself from harmful thoughts

Sometimes we develop firm erroneous beliefs, which are extremely difficult to overcome. It seems to you that they are a part of you, but they are not. A person is plastic by nature and can accept any attitude if he forms it long enough and persistently. This ability can be useful. Track down the beliefs that prevent you from living: low self-esteem, lack of opportunity for change, and so on.

Ask yourself questions, become your own psychiatrist. For example, if you feel uncomfortable in the company, ask yourself: "Why did I decide that shyness is my natural quality?", "What prevents me from communicating freely?", "Have I always felt squeezed in the company of other people?", "When did it start?".
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by riverbird: 10:28am On Dec 11, 2022
Very soon him go wake up grin
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by BusinessPlan22: 11:18am On Dec 11, 2022
IyaTola:
I remember when we were still in the higher institution, our HOD kept saying that if we graduated with Distinction /first class, getting a high-ticket Job would be so easy even as an HND Graduate.

And that even the institution would recommend us and we were going to get Job offers from here and there.
This was one of the reasons then I told myself I would graduate with a First class and Yes I did.

Let me brag a Little!! cheesy

After NYSC, the reverse was the case sadly, the few of us that graduated with first class were recommended to only one Organisation that was publicly owned and we never got Feedback even after several follow up.

At that point, I was already desperate as NYSC allowance has stopped coming.

Then I started applying for Jobs, I just wanted to do anything.

Now I already have heard about the dichotomy between HND & Bsc Graduates in the Labour Market.

But, I always had the mindset that My degree is not my Limitation.

During my Job hunt, I Came in contact with some Firms who rejected me at the point of Application because I was an HND Graduate. (They said they don't employ HND Graduate)

Meanwhile, they were some that accepted my application and gave me a chance to be interviewed at least.

This is what I want to speak about.

Now, on one of those interviews, especially the one where I ended up being selected for the Job Role I observed some things.

1) It wasn't about my degree �, it was about my show of competence to be able to handle the role well. I remember being selected among Bsc graduates too.

2) I never sold myself short because I was an HND Graduate.

3) Everyone Likes Excellence. Immediately they spotted that I graduated with Distinction, they already have positive expectations about me.

4) I was willing to learn and grow and I wasn't expecting to be paid Millions of Naira for a start.

Also, While in school, I was already exposed to the Branding World in Business. I did part-time Jobs as a Brand Promoter.

These Jobs were contract based and most times payments were delayed for a long while which was not helping.

Then one day, I went back to my drawing board, picked up my study materials I had learned before, started practicing and I started producing Creams, soaps and all,

I even created an Online training platform where i taught others how to do same, and it sustained me until i got my 1st Full time Job.

But then, here are some things that helped me personally and could also help anyone who's Unemployed whether you are a HND or Bsc Graduate.

1) Never Stop Upgrading Your Self:

I didn't stop adding value myself. This is why I decided to upgrade my HND to Bsc. I defended my Thesis few days ago and it was successful.

Lol... Poor mind you have.
With my HND, I got a job without connection earning 350k as a distribution manager. Instead of going for pGD, ozuor, you call Bsc an upgrade, A graduate is riding bikes for me as a marketer.

You opened a thread to praise mediocrity. Una tru

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Karlifate: 12:54pm On Dec 11, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

With my HND, I got a job without connection earning 350k as a distribution manager. Instead of going for pGD, ozuor, you call Bsc an upgrade, A graduate is riding bikes for me as a marketer.

LMAO! grin grin

E be like say the OP offend you before. cheesy

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Philip4564(m): 6:52pm On Dec 11, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Abeg connect me I need a job
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by BusinessPlan22: 7:48pm On Dec 11, 2022
Philip4564:
Abeg connect me I need a job

Myjobmag.ng

Baba na God run am

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Philip4564(m): 8:26pm On Dec 11, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Myjobmag.ng

Baba na God run am
Thanks I'll check it out
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by Rubyjade: 10:42pm On Dec 12, 2022
cry
BusinessPlan22:

Why insult her
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 12:54am On Dec 13, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Oga! No be cause youe state of being unfortunate
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by BusinessPlan22: 7:18am On Dec 13, 2022
IyaTola:
Oga! No be cause youe state of being unfortunate

Make I nor tell u word
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by BusinessPlan22: 7:18am On Dec 13, 2022
Rubyjade:
cryWhy insult her

What is insult?
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by VinaCrush(m): 8:14am On Dec 13, 2022
IyaTola:
shocked

Yes na....I'm 24 now and i finished my nysc since last year, all effort to get a job proved abortive.

2 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2022
VinaCrush:

Yes na....I'm 24 now and i finished my nysc since last year, all effort to get a job proved abortive.
What's your location, qualifications and experience?
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 9:56pm On Dec 13, 2022
BusinessPlan22:

Make I nor tell u word
Get lost
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by sammirano: 12:16am On Dec 14, 2022
Karlifate:

LMAO! grin grin

E be like say the OP offend you before. cheesy

It's normal for some HND graduates to be bitter grin

4 Likes

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by VinaCrush(m): 10:50am On Dec 14, 2022
IyaTola:
What's your location, qualifications and experience?

Qualifications: Bsc Microbiology
Experience: Over 1 year experience working as a Laboratory assistant in a Medical Lab & also in a Microfinance Bank.

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by floret23(f): 11:06am On Dec 14, 2022
Which of your certificates did you use to get your 1st Full time job?
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 2:27pm On Dec 14, 2022
VinaCrush:

Qualifications: Bsc Microbiology
Experience: Over 1 year experience working as a Laboratory assistant in a Medical Lab & also in a Microfinance Bank.
There's an opening in Opebi for an account Officer with experience in Microfiance pay is 75k net
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by VinaCrush(m): 8:46pm On Dec 14, 2022
IyaTola:
There's an opening in Opebi for an account Officer with experience in Microfiance pay is 75k net

How do i access the job pls ?

1 Like

Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by IyaTola: 6:24pm On Dec 15, 2022
VinaCrush:

How do i access the job pls ?
admin@betabridges.com
betabridges@gmail.com
Send your CV to them. All the best
Re: My Experience As An Unemployed HND Graduate But Now A Bsc Graduate by VinaCrush(m): 4:34am On Dec 16, 2022
IyaTola:
admin@betabridges.com
betabridges@gmail.com
Send your CV to them. All the best

Thank you very much...

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

Customer Care Rep. Needed / The Nigerian Support Contest(batch B)! / PART 2: Important Things Recruiters Want To See On Your CV

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.