Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,094 members, 7,835,695 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 01:35 PM

Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World - Sports (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World (8250 Views)

Blessing Okagbare's White Wedding Photos With Hubby, Igho Otegheri / US Embassy Ruins Blessing Okagbare’s Honeymoon / Blessing Okagbare Wins 200m Gold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by crispgg: 11:10pm On Aug 30, 2011
Any Nigerian who celebrates this either has a very short memory or does not know the history of athletics in Nigeria.

At a time, Nigeria was considered a major force in international athletics. We were actually at par with countries like Jamaica, Barbados etc. America actually feared us at short distance events, this fear was actually bought to the fore then when American Olympic medallist Carl Lewis called on American Universities to stop giving sport scholarships to Nigerian athletes as we were becoming a major threat to them.

This is a country that once paraded the likes of Chidi Imoh, Innocent Egbunike, Olapade Adenekan, Fati Ogunkoya, Seun Ogunkoya, Bisi Afolabi, Mary Onyali, Akinremi Sisters and many more I cant even remember now. These were all winners and medal haulers for Nigeria at international events. We once had two Nigerians in the finals of the olympics 100m mens event. We were sure of carting away medals at any event we went to. Foreign countries like Portugal and Spain were poaching our stars.

But now the situation is very bad. A friend of mine, a former athlete went to the Mobil track and field event that was used to select our reps at this world championships. He came back very sad and told me that the time that the guy who won the mens 100m had would not have qualified him for the finals of the same event some 10 to 15 years ago. And you guys are celebrating 5th position?

This only shows the level we have degenrated to.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by jeffman(m): 8:26am On Aug 31, 2011
haba. if blessing Okagbare was ur child or sister, wont u guys celebrate her.

also, if u look at nigeria's perfromance in the last few tourneys, u wld agree this is some improvement. so, YES, it deserves to be celebrated. this is not celebrating mediocrity, it is celebrating improvement.

forget 1996, cos we retrogressed far below b4 dis improvement
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by rume(m): 12:31pm On Aug 31, 2011
Blessing is NOT the 5th fastest woman in the world!
She came fifth in the finals of the IAAF women's 100m race two days ago, simple.

Saying 5th isn't good is very shortsighted as well. She was running against a top class field! Many many athletes would have been proud to get to that final.
There is nothing wrong in celebrating that, after all she's a long jumper turned sprinter. Nonetheless, she can get better with time,  and has been getting better.

crispgg:

Any Nigerian who celebrates this either has a very short memory or does not know the history of athletics in Nigeria.

At a time, Nigeria was considered a major force in international athletics. We were actually at par with countries like Jamaica, Barbados etc. America actually feared us at short distance events, this fear was actually bought to the fore then when American Olympic medallist Carl Lewis called on American Universities to stop giving sport scholarships to Nigerian athletes as we were becoming a major threat to them.

This is a country that once paraded the likes of Chidi Imoh, Innocent Egbunike, Olapade Adenekan, Fati Ogunkoya, Seun Ogunkoya, Bisi Afolabi, Mary Onyali, Akinremi Sisters and many more I cant even remember now. These were all winners and medal haulers for Nigeria at international events. We once had two Nigerians in the finals of the olympics 100m mens event. We were sure of carting away medals at any event we went to. Foreign countries like Portugal and Spain were poaching our stars. 

But now the situation is very bad. A friend of mine, a former athlete went to the Mobil track and field event that was used to select our reps at this world championships. He came back very sad and told me that the time that the guy who won the mens 100m had would not have qualified him for the finals of the same event some 10 to 15 years ago. And you guys are celebrating 5th position?

This only shows the level we have degenrated to.

Was it Fati Ogunkoya or Falilat Ogunkoya? My memory tells me Falilat. You are right though that we seemed to do better back in the day. I'm one now talentless athlete, wish I could still pursue my dream but,
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by otokx(m): 2:17pm On Aug 31, 2011
What a shame? We have deceived ourselves to the point of memory loss? The women's 400m Gold medalist is from Botswana yet some dumb ass poster wants us to as the pastors say - celebrate our milestones.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by EfeEkarume(m): 5:27pm On Aug 31, 2011
So fast she ran, quicker . . . like a pregnant snail!
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by rume(m): 6:57am On Sep 01, 2011
otokx:

What a shame? We have deceived ourselves to the point of memory loss? The women's 400m Gold medalist is from Botswana yet some dumb Bottom poster wants us to as the pastors say - celebrate our milestones.

I don't know about celebrating Nigeria's milestones, athletics haven't been good in Nigeria for a while, dissapointing to be honest but as someone who follows athletics and Blessing's progress, I'd say well done to her.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by rume(m): 7:11am On Sep 01, 2011
EfeEkarume:

So fast she ran, quicker . . . like a pregnant snail!

She isn't an explosive starter, but for her height, she is definitely not a bad starter.
The commentator said about her heat race, she was "out the blocks like a slow train", but errr, she was not slow! 11.12 is not slow for a female athlete, albeit not world topping either. Nonetheless, she's run faster than that many times.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by EfeEkarume(m): 12:46am On Sep 02, 2011
rume:

She isn't an explosive starter, but for her height, she is definitely not a bad starter.
The commentator said about her heat race, she was "out the blocks like a slow train", but errr, she was not slow! 11.12 is not slow for a female athlete, albeit not world topping either. Nonetheless, she's run faster than that many times.
Maybe off track or when she's been pursued by an animal . . .lets say a cheetah.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by ayusco: 7:08pm On Sep 02, 2011
nigerian athletics is bad now yes but we should stop giving the impression we were always world beaters in the past. yes we produced athletes chidi imoh, ezinwa twins, olapede adenikan, mary onyali etc who got to olympic and world champ finals but usually finished 5th or towards the last positions rarely winning medals(remember Seoul 88?).

its only atlanta 96 one can say was a bit of a golden generation even that performance (one longjump gold ajunwa, one silver women's 4*400 and 2 bronze falilat 400m & onyali 200m) though good wasn't earth shattering based on international standard yet that was our BEST!

now on okagbare one is not justifying mediocrity but appreciating improvement. okagbare barely a few years ago she was a long jumper now she's competing against seasoned 100 m runners and finishing 5th. i think if she improves on her start she would be quite good.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by rume(m): 7:51pm On Sep 02, 2011
ayusco:

nigerian athletics is bad now yes but we should stop giving the impression we were always world beaters in the past. yes we produced athletes chidi imoh, ezinwa twins, olapede adenikan, mary onyali etc who got to olympic and world champ finals but usually finished 5th or towards the last positions rarely winning medals(remember Seoul 88?).

its only atlanta 96 one can say was a bit of a golden generation even that performance (one longjump gold ajunwa, one silver women's 4*400 and 2 bronze falilat 400m & onyali 200m) though good wasn't earth shattering based on international standard yet that was our BEST!

now on okagbare one is not justifying mediocrity but appreciating improvement. okagbare barely a few years ago she was a long jumper now she's competing against seasoned 100 m runners and finishing 5th. i think if she improves on her start she would be quite good.

yes, you are honestly right. It wasn't all that, but now it's getting painful.

Though, on Bessing's start, I don't think anything is wrong with her getting out of the starting blocks, it's on par with most other athletes. it's just that she takes a slightly longer time to get into her stride because she's tall. Nonetheless it can be better.
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by Princek12(m): 1:31pm On Sep 05, 2011
According to the poster, if a Nigerian athlete is the 8th (aka last or arunpo) in a 100m final of the championship, we should roll out the red carpet for that athlete for placing last--aka the 8th fastest in the world. I will not in my lifetime celebrate mediocrity.

The mentality of our people is what retards our nation. A country of 150m people cannot compete and win gold medals in a competition, while Jamaica, a country of barely 3m, is winning medals and giving the USA a run for their money. Why celebrate mediocrity? SMH
Re: Blessing Okagbare, The 5th Fastest Woman In The World by omodapson(m): 9:51am On Sep 06, 2011
Our relay team used to be the best in the world but where are they now? It pains me to see how dwindling our athletics is, there is nothing like development plan. whoever is in charge of AFN should act fast before things degenerate into total collapse.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Dolphins Vs Deep Waters - Zenith Female Basketball League Final. (Pictures) / England To Play Nigeria And Costa Rica Ahead Of World Cup / COVID-19: 9 Kwara United Players Test Positive

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.