Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,785 members, 7,820,753 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:55 PM

Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? (2587 Views)

UK Suspends Student, Work Visa Applications In Nigeria / US Mission To Prioritise Student Visa Applications For Nigerians / Coronavirus: US Consulate In Nigeria Cancels All Visa Applications (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by SLOVFO(m): 4:25am On Dec 12, 2022
I want to know if Marriages conducted by LGA marriage registries are valid for Visa applications? I am getting conflicting information on the validity of marriages conducted at the Federal marriage registry and LGs' marriage registry. By the way, I had my marriage in an L.G.A. licensed place of worship in 2020. That is, the LG certified the marriage.

1 Like

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by slimdel91: 4:32am On Dec 12, 2022
Yes.

Federal Government don't have business in marriage registry

1 Like

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 4:35am On Dec 12, 2022
slimdel91:
Yes.

Federal Government don't have business in marriage registry

Wrong o!

I simply Google it. See below. See how easy that was?

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 4:51am On Dec 12, 2022
SLOVFO:
I want to know if Marriages conducted by LGA marriage registries are valid for Visa applications?

Here's more. I'm such a genius cheesy

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by SLOVFO(m): 5:06am On Dec 12, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Wrong o!

I simply Google it. See below. See how easy that was?

Not so fast. You got that from the Federal Marriage registry of Ministry of interior's website. But contrary information is available at the Inter-Governmental Marital Committee Nigeria's website.

I need to hear from those that made recent Visa application.

1 Like

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by Bluntguy: 5:09am On Dec 12, 2022
It depends on the country wey you dey go o. If na Congo dem go accept am but the West? I doubt.

1 Like

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 6:09am On Dec 12, 2022
SLOVFO:

Not so fast. You got that from the Federal Marriage registry of Ministry of interior's website. But contrary information is available at the Inter-Governmental Marital Committee Nigeria's website.

I need to hear from those that made recent Visa application.

Knowing what I shared, would you go for visa with LG marriage cert?
If you were a visa officer who'd you believe as to the authenticity of a Nigerian marriage certificate?
Easy answer, isn't it? Local govt have no business in international affairs. Just as they can't issue their own passports or visas. All they can do is recognize marriages conducted in their area
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by ednut1(m): 6:19am On Dec 12, 2022
PoliteActivist:

If you were a visa officer who'd you believe as to the authenticity of a Nigerian marriage certificate?
Easy answer, isn't it? Local govt have no business in international affairs. Just as they can't issue their own passports or visas. All they can do is recognize marriages conducted in their area
marriage is not an international affair. People dont get married at the registry for visa reasons, less than 1% of them will be able to travel or even apply to travel. A visa officer is likely the accept ikoyi registry over one LGA in kwara state because of ease of verification and uniformity with other applications.
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 6:30am On Dec 12, 2022
ednut1:
marriage is not an international affair. People dont get married at the registry for visa reasons, less than 1% of them will be able to travel or even apply to travel. A visa officer is likely the accept ikoyi registry over one LGA in kwara state because of ease of verification and uniformity with other applications.

It is not the marriage, it is the international travel connection. ONLY the federal govt has a say in that. If it were just marriage, a customary marriage is also recognized as marriage.
You really shouldn't be arguing this it is ridiculous. Who do you think decides what marriage is FEDERALLY valid in any country, local districts or federal govt?
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by ednut1(m): 6:35am On Dec 12, 2022
PoliteActivist:

It is not the marriage, it is the international travel connection. ONLY the federal govt has a say in that. If it were just marriage, a customary marriage is also recognized as marriage.
You really shouldn't be arguing this it is ridiculous. Who do you think decides what marriage is FEDERALLY valid in any country, local districts or federal govt?
google is free , make ya research. You are chatting shit
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 6:49am On Dec 12, 2022
ednut1:
google is free , make ya research. You are chatting shit

Be polite. I'm the first to cite Google. Here are the results again below

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by ednut1(m): 6:55am On Dec 12, 2022
PoliteActivist:

Be polite. I'm the first to cite Google. Here are the results again below
https://www.thecable.ng/lgas-statutorily-responsible-for-conducting-marriages-court-rules-on-suit-against-ikoyi-registry/amp you expect the FG website to say otherwise They have no business conducting marriages, but this is Nigeria where illegality is normal.
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 7:45am On Dec 12, 2022
ednut1:
https://www.thecable.ng/lgas-statutorily-responsible-for-conducting-marriages-court-rules-on-suit-against-ikoyi-registry/amp you expect the FG website to say otherwise They have no business conducting marriages, but this is Nigeria where illegality is normal.

That judgment was misinterpreted.
https://www.aelex.com/the-legality-of-marriages-conducted-at-the-federal-marriage-registry-ikoyi/

Also they are the ones who decides who can conduct marriages and issues licenses to them

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by SLOVFO(m): 9:14am On Dec 12, 2022
PoliteActivist:

You have got a valid point. Those guys at the Federal marriage registry said that I would need to do a fresh marriage.

1 Like

Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by PoliteActivist: 9:54am On Dec 12, 2022
SLOVFO:

You have got a valid point. Those guys are the Federal marriage registry said that I would need to a fresh marriage.

Now we know
QED
Re: Are Marriages Conducted By LGA Marriage Registries Valid For Visa Applications? by northbird: 12:46pm On Dec 12, 2022
SLOVFO:

You have got a valid point. Those guys at the Federal marriage registry said that I would need to do a fresh marriage.

What were you expecting them at ikoyi to say? Typical Civil servant...
A marriage held at any registry in any local government of Nigeria is as valid as that of ikoyi...

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

7 Things Nigerians Must Not Wear When Traveling To Abroad / Richest Tribe In Africa 2019 / 12 Most Dangerous Countries To Travel To

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.