Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,166 members, 7,821,953 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 10:44 PM

I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? - Career (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? (10478 Views)

13 High Paying Side Jobs You Can Do / Before You Quit Your Low Paying Job Check This List / Msc In Petroleum Geology And Bsc In Geology And No Good Job. What Do I Do? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by dustydee: 1:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
Start planning on your exit strategy like changing jobs or setting up a business. If you choose business make sure you have it up and running before you quit. You can also go to school. I have the same problem as you and going to school this month and hopefully the picture will become clearer before i finish.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Holumighty(m): 1:46pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hod is faithful
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by dustydee: 1:51pm On Sep 01, 2011
^^ why can't you discuss it here? If you can't then keep it to yourself.
@ poster don't mind him, he is looking for someone to scam.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by strongguy(m): 2:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
hey guy,you seems too relaxed and too comfortable.you can just put up an advert for your position wink smiley wink smiley and someones prayer will be answered
ADVICE -Dont think of the word RESIGN.THINK WITHIN FOR SOLUTIONS
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by okeyz(m): 3:44pm On Sep 01, 2011
Na wa oooo shocked

Different strokes for different folks
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Walala(m): 4:28pm On Sep 01, 2011
My problem here is how is 210k naira a high paying job?  That like $1300 a month which is what someone working as a security guard in USA makes a month.  Our country is DEAD if 210k is a high - paying job in an MNC.  I am planning to relocate end of the year and I already make equivalent of a 1million Naira per month here in the states, so i was dreaming hoping to make at least 750,000 naira a month to at least justify my move.

Why are professionals so underpaid in Nigeria?

Anyway per post, since everybody dey talk say there are battalions on the streets looking for jobs everyday, I will advise that you don't quit your job and keep saving and try and strategize what your next move is. DO NOT QUIT without having a plan.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Fidelo726: 4:30pm On Sep 01, 2011
I guess you have a choice.
But be careful with your plan cos it is not going to be easy when you make a mistake.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Jarus(m): 4:40pm On Sep 01, 2011
My problem here is how is 210k naira a high paying job? That like $1300 a month which is what someone working as a security guard in USA makes a month. Our country is DEAD if 210k is a high - paying job in an MNC. I am planning to relocate end of the year and I already make equivalent of a 1million Naira per month here in the states, so i was dreaming hoping to make at least 750,000 naira a month to at least justify my move.

I don't know the MNC the OP is talking about but in an O&G MNC, permanent staff earn no less than 600k per month for entry level, some up to 1m net. So maybe he's talking about an MNC in an FMCG industry.

Ordinarily, 210k net per month is actually 'high-paying' in Nigeria, but the MNC aspect spoils it. 210k per month is poor pay for an MNC.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by oohunt: 9:22pm On Sep 01, 2011
Jarus:

I don't know the MNC the OP is talking about but in an O&G MNC, permanent staff earn no less than 600k per month for entry level, some up to 1m net. So maybe he's talking about an MNC in an FMCG industry.

For real!!shocked I need to get into O&G MNC asap! Do you have any connections?
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by exme: 10:01pm On Sep 01, 2011
I read this book, 'Free from Corporate Slavery' by Jimi Tewe. It's an awesome book that will give you tips and insights for career fulfillment.
Best wishes

Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by xJaysonx(m): 11:24pm On Sep 01, 2011
Hunger has not fire you my brother. If you love yourself, love that job!
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by WhyAWhy(m): 11:43pm On Sep 01, 2011
Walala:

My problem here is how is 210k naira a high paying job?  That like $1300 a month which is what someone working as a security guard in USA makes a month.  Our country is DEAD if 210k is a high - paying job in an MNC.  I am planning to relocate end of the year and I already make equivalent of a 1million Naira per month here in the states, so i was dreaming hoping to make at least 750,000 naira a month to at least justify my move.

Anyway per post, since everybody dey talk say there are battalions on the streets looking for jobs everyday, I will advise that you don't quit your job and keep saving and try and strategize what your next move is.  DO NOT QUIT without having a plan.

You can't compare wages on any level, USA is different from Nigeria, the economic situation and expenditure is very different.
If you earn £1000 in uk for example you would just be living either on average or less than average but in Nigeria you would live a very comfortable life so just make your reference to strictly nigeria don't compare wages across the international scene.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Thirst4Lif: 12:44am On Sep 02, 2011
i don't really enjoy job satisfaction, i.e I am not totally happy with my job.

Did someone guarantee you total happiness in life? You have a job you're not particularly

fond of, but you're amply compensated. Does this mean nothing to you? You complain of

not advancing in the company. Perhaps your superiors feel you're not ready to be promoted

to a higher position. Honestly, considering the unemployment rate throughout the world,

you sound like a whiner. There's a possibility your employers have recognized this as well.

My suggestion is remain with the company and soak up all the knowledge

you can. I'm sure if you're as good in your position as you feel you are your time for being

promoted will come.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Don1Dee(m): 9:30am On Sep 02, 2011
Jarus:

Great one, egbon. That's exactly my strategy too.

I am also doing Accounting job, though good paying, but I have never liked and still don't like accounting.

I do a lot of other things by the side, most not bringing income but satisfaction.

I know I enjoy writing, so I do writing as a hobby, analyse economic and political issues and send them for publication in newspapers. Though I don't make money from it, I have made name and contacts from it(I now relate one-on-one with top editors and a governor), a network that can be useful in the future.

That's how I have turned my hobby into my source of satisfaction while my quite boring accounting job gives settles my bills. And disinterested as I am in this Accounting thing, I wrote ICAN and qualified. Yet, it's still not my desired career path, just did it to boost my CV and diversify my experience.

Notwithstanding, you must do your current job with the required diligence.

@Jarus,
U're an unseen mentor 2 someone somewhere. God bless u real gud, Plz, while a student how do u summit/sent ur articles to d various newspaper publishers and how do u know if & when it is promulgated.
Tnx.

Do me a favor to reply.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by unikbabe: 10:25am On Sep 02, 2011
Hi,
Job satisfaction is one thing,having a job to earn a living is another.
I will suggest that you keep your present for now and see how things will unfold.
You never can tell,you may be moved to other department or unit that will give you a job satisfaction.

Secondly,ensure that you have a new job before you leave the present one.
Think wisely.
I wish you success.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by chyndu(f): 2:36pm On Sep 02, 2011
My dear, I know what you are pasing through, I have the same problem with you, but your own is far much better than mine because I have worked in a private company for almost 12years now and my salary is N72,750. Now listen to my story. I joined this company 1998, I finished my SSCE 1995 but then nobody to train me , with the little money one of my friend gave me I decide to enroll for a computer school, which i used to gain employment. After I ve worked for 2years the intimidation of not being a graduate started, I was force again with the little money I saved to eroll my self for a partime programme with Lagos State Polythenic. Life was not too funny. Then in 2003 I got married even my husband was still managing beleiving that one day It shall be over I had my OND in 2004 because it was a part time programme it took a long time, then still 2004 I gave birth to my first child then I was 26years old. To cut long story short, still in the job there I gave birth to my 3rd child in 2008 still managing the job.

The problem is not that I love the Job but at least to solve some problems so that I will not be a liability to anybody. Presently my dear people I feel like quiting the job because no future but my husband will not allow me because himself is into clearing agent still managing. Now I want to go back to school to further my education, but if I quit my family will suffer. As am typing these mail am realy shading tears.

So my brother please thank God for the Job first, appreciate him at and beg him for job satisfication.
Thanks you
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by Jarus(m): 3:45pm On Sep 02, 2011
Don1Dee:

@Jarus,
U're an unseen mentor 2 someone somewhere. God bless u real gud, Plz, while a student how do u summit/sent your articles to d various newspaper publishers and how do u know if & when it is promulgated.
Tnx.

Do me a favor to reply.
Don't let us derail this thread. Start a new thread asking how to get article published in newspaper and I will offer insight.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by brianon: 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2011
If it were me, I would be saving money so that after leaving (because I would leave) I could have something to hold my while I look for a new job or start my new business. As annoying as the job may be, it probably doesn't hurt as much as an empty stomach and a rock for a pillow.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by 2goodbobo(m): 6:40pm On Sep 02, 2011
@poster, my advise is dont resign yet.while working,look for a job else where that can gaurantee you of working in the department you want to then you can resign.thou you need to compare and contrast both salaries before you decide.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by djbiskit(m): 4:16pm On Sep 03, 2011
D best thread I ve read in nairaland. I ve a similar situation, but mine is dat I luv my career shipping, the pay is nott up 2 urs but 85k afta tax nd its a MNC also in maritime. But my department structure n colleagues make going to work, like going to jail. Am very very young and wud luv 2 migrate to O&G MNC in d area of logistics or marine. D best advice is rely on God & allow ur mind to be open 4 opportunities within ur firm or outside. I felt for d lady dat cried as she posted on dis thread. I will pray 4 u, I was touched. Any ideas on how I can grow in ma career is welcomed.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by aieromon(m): 8:37am On Sep 06, 2011
If you're in a job,you should at least enjoy job satisfaction or nice pay.If you're not getting any,pull out immediately.
I suggest you save part of your earnings and invest in an interest of your choice so you can enjoy job satisfaction and a nice pay package.
Re: I Hate My High-paying Job. What Should I Do Please? by karbie(f): 11:58pm On Jun 14, 2020
Self study and ace your examinations with the right study packs, like I did.

Prepare for your ACCA and ICAN (ATS & Professional) examinations with the ICAN new study packs for all levels and get all necessary past questions and answers for a token.

Click on the whatsapp link below to get them https:///2347084890881

(1) (2) (Reply)

Things To Consider Before Choosing A Career / What's Your Fall Back Plan? / Is Corporate Loyalty Dead?; 4 Reasons Why Employees Are Calling It Quits

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.